Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Sauna Part 269

After we finished our dinners, we headed over to grab a good spot for the penguin parade. Jon had purchased tickets when we arrived as the viewing platforms were limited to 150 spectators each night and spots filled up rather quickly. A crowd was beginning to form and it was apparent that this was the main event that Phillip Island was noted for.

I was rather disappointed that we were forbidden to photograph the event, but one of the rangers explained that the camera flashes were quite disturbing to penguins whose eyesight was accustomed to low light settings and the murky depths of the ocean. The sun had gone down and we settled into our places, listening attentively as the ranger described the various nuances of penguin life.

A murmur of excitement spread through the assembled crowd as the first little penguins began to arrive. They ambled ashore in a decidedly purposeful fashion, heading home to their burrows to sleep and feed their young. The early arrivals were soon joined by more and more of their fellow neighbors and we were awestruck as we watched literally hundreds of little penguins waddle past us.

The ranger explained that they count the penguins nightly in order to track changes in the colony and that the current population hovers around 4,500 on this area of the island. They estimated that approximately 26,000 penguins make their home in the waters surrounding Phillip Island and that they may swim as much as 100km daily in search of food.

“They must be exhausted by the time they reach home” Jon commented.

“Yeah, man, I know how they feel some days” Tico smirked.

The entire spectacle took over an hour and we enjoyed every minute. The little birds seemed oblivious to the countless eyes that were watching them as they carried on with their nightly routine, unlike the seals and dolphins who seemed equally fascinated with us. It was a wonderful opportunity to observe the little guys in a natural setting and we felt privileged to experience a glimpse into their private lives.

When it appeared as though the last penguin had returned home, we made our way back to the limo that was waiting to take us to Melbourne. It had been a long day and although it was still relatively early, we all were quite spent. There would be little difficulty falling asleep once we made it into our beds and we all said goodnight before retiring to our rooms.

“Shower, babe?” Jon suggested as we closed the door to our room.

“Absolutely” I agreed as we began shedding our clothing.

The hot water felt soothing on our tired bodies and I noticed Jon stifling a yawn as we bathed. I stooped down to take him into my mouth, remembering my earlier promise to reward him for forgoing the ‘bikini parade’. He reached for my head and stopped me, however, and I raised my eyes in a question.

“Not tonight, darlin’. I’m beat and I’ve only got enough energy for one round and I wanna bury myself inside you” he explained, his eyes slitted in a langourous stare.

“That works for me” I grinned as I stood up and we exited the shower.

We fell into bed and Jon kissed me hungrily as we made love without further ado. He was passionate and yet tender, blending love and desire in perfect measure. When we were through, we fell soundly asleep, nestled comfortably in each other’s arms.


*************


We needed time to recover from the time change and everyone ended up sleeping in late, including Jon and me. It was going on noon when we finally roused ourselves out of bed and dragged our aching bodies into the shower, and only then after we had consumed a steaming pot of fresh coffee. We eventually stumbled down to the dining area for lunch where we saw Richie and Jim at a table by themselves.

“So what’s on today’s agenda, doll? Where are we headed?” Richie asked amiably and Jim groaned.

“Actually, I was thinking the hotel pool sounded good, or maybe the sauna?” I winked at Jon.

“What’s the matter, Trish? Does the old man need a rest?” Richie said, baiting Jon.

“Do you seriously think that a sauna with Trish is restful?” Jon hit right back.

“You’ve got a point there, bro. I forgot” Richie conceded.

This led to a few questions from Jim and eventually we shared the story of how we had met after he promised we wouldn’t be reading it in print. I wanted to go and check on Backstage and any other business that had come up since I had learned my lesson about neglecting things for too long. Jon and Richie began to fill Jim in on some of the past history of the band and I went back to the room to check in with Jack and the lawyer.

The time difference made it hard to find any reasonable time to actually talk to anyone, so I began with returning emails. I was pleased to see that there had been no major problems and that Jack anticipated that the new site would be up in a couple of days. He wondered if Jon or I wanted to write a letter to the fans and explain what had happened and that they should soon be receiving refunds for the fraudulent charges.

“Hey, darlin’, are you ’bout ready to head down to the pool?” Jon asked as he walked in and leaned over my shoulder.

“I’m just about ready, but here-read this while I change into my suit” I prompted.

When I returned, Jon was smiling and I grinned back. We were both happy and relieved that things were in good hands now and I doubted I’d need to worry so much anymore. I did want to write a letter to the fans and sign it from both Jon and I, but we had plenty of time to think about what we wanted to say. Jon agreed and I sent Jack an email that we’d send him a letter within a day or two. Jon changed into his trunks and his baseball cap disguise and we headed down to the pool to unwind before tonight’s show.

Richie was already there, sprawled on a lounge chair with his shades on, trying to blend in with the other guests. Despite his attempts and need for anonymity, I noticed a bevvy of beauties near the bar, tittering and pointing towards Richie’s lean, lanky form. It was hard to get any peace, it seemed, and soon it would be public knowledge where the band had chosen to stay. Our privacy was coming to an end.

“Damn” Jon muttered, glancing at the gaggle of girls with an annoyed expression.

If Richie had been already spotted, there was no hope in disguising Jon from the all too curious eyes which observed our arrival. I was about to get a taste of what Dorothea had complained about for many years as the group of women moved towards us like one collective unit and I soon began to feel invisible.

“Jon? Jon Bon Jovi? Oh my God, it is Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi!” the leader of the pack squealed.

Richie sat up now and lowered his shades, hearing the commotion and our eyes briefly met in shared sympathy before he put on his game face and tried to look pleasant. I saw Jon stiffen as his features changed and his face hardened into the plastic smile he reserved for moments like this. Soon we were surrounded by the horde of bikini clad babes, all pressing closer and I felt myself being squeezed out.

“I’ll go and get us some drinks” I yelled to Jon.

He nodded resignedly as a pen was thrust into his hand by an eager young woman, brandishing a hotel coaster she wanted him to sign. I moved away from the tangle of arms and legs and headed for the bar, shaking my head. I ordered a beer and two glasses of wine as I sat down on a barstool, turning to watch from a distance. I could just barely catch a glimpse of Jon, who was still standing, but Richie had been swallowed up by the swarm.

The other guests of the hotel had now turned their attention towards the spectacle by the pool as they wondered what they had missed. I sipped my wine and gave them some time to make nice with their fans, but I headed back with the drinks once I realized they weren’t so easily dismissed. One tall, leggy brunette noticed my attempt to get through to the guys and acknowledged me, nodding her head.

“Oh what a great idea! Why didn’t I think of that?” she said as she reached to take the glasses from me. “Here, let me help!” she squeaked.

Before I realized what was happening, she’d relieved me of the beer and one of the wines and was pushing through the other bodies that stood in her way. I felt a tinge of annoyance as I recovered my wits and realized she wasn’t just offering to help.

“Here Jon, Richie! I got you some drinks! I hope it’s what you like!” she beamed triumphantly as she handed the glasses to the guys.

Richie hadn’t seen what had happened, but Jon knew and grinned at me over the top of her head. I gave him duck lips in reply as I tried to shoulder my way inside the group. The brunette who’d stolen the drinks gave me a look of disgust as she attempted to block my path.

“Excuse me” Jon said “but would you mind stepping aside. I believe my wife would like to get through” he said to the girl as he reached out his hand.

She turned and looked back and I saw the look of surprise on her face and felt a small sliver of satisfaction.

“I was just trying to help” she said rather lamely.

“Yes, thank you for your assistance. I can manage it from here” I smiled sweetly as I took Jon’s hand and he pulled me alongside him.

Jon kissed me brusquely as he whispered into my ear.

“Sorry, babe. I saw what happened” he said softly and I nodded. Jon was no patsy like me.

“Ladies, ladies. It’s been wonderful to meet all of you, really and I hope we’ll see you all at tonight’s show” Jon said in an effort to disperse the excited women.

“Jon, could I have a picture with you and Richie? Pleeeaassse…” someone whined.

“Not today, darlin’. My hair’s a mess” Jon teased, mussing his hair for effect and prompting a round of giggles, but the little blonde who’d asked looked disappointed.

“Will you be staying in Australia for very long?” another one ventured.

“No, we’re just here for the shows and trying to relax and unwind in between” Jon said diplomatically, but I didn’t think these women were the type to get the hint.

“Ladies, we need a little rest before tonight’s gig. The jet lag’s been tough” Richie added, trying to help make the point. “I need my beauty sleep” he grinned, flashing a brilliant smile as he lowered his shades and leaned back on the lounge chair.

That finally seemed to get the message across and the women reluctantly took their leave as Jon and I settled down onto a couple of chairs. I was pretty surprised at how patient the guys were and how well they handled the whole thing, but then it was nothing new for them. Over the years, they had learned how to cope with these situations and I gathered they’d had plenty of practice, but I was impressed none the less.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nightly parade sounds so cute! Of course, the circus at the pool doesn't sound like much fun!

Hope you are having a good day, Opester :)

Linda

Sunstreaked said...

LOL! Love how opportunistic that one woman was! Her idea *snort*, yeah, right.

The guys must all be amazingly patient and for all these years!

Not sure I'd wanna have to do that.

Great chapter, hon!

Bayaderra said...

Opester, I just wanted to thank you for the last few chapters! I am sooo enjoying "traveling" with Trish and Jon! Your writing is amazing! I feel like I am there...I've heard about the "penguin walk" but the seals and koala preserve was a new experience! Loved it!
The scene at the pool made me laugh...I can just imagine the "bikini clad mob"!
Keep the chapters comming please, I look forward to them every day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Opester, just checked in the third time today for a new chapter :-(( I alwayd have to tell myself "It's only an amazing story - it is not real.... " ... I will call it a night now,
Heike

Opester said...

Thanks folks! I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the travel as much as I do! I apologize for the sudden slow down in chapters, but my muse has been on a long vacation and I am trying to coax her to come back!!!

Anonymous said...

Feed your muse with pictures from our boys and with everything you prefer .... still waiting ...
Heike

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew an autograph session could turn into an interview.

Loved the chapter. :)

Sheena