Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Sauna Part 283

Tico joined the four of us for dinner as we mused over the various options and possibilities for adventure during our stay here. Tico wanted to check out a nearby golf resort once Hugh had joined us and was anxious for Eva to arrive tomorrow afternoon. Thursday was Valentine’s Day and we all agreed we’d have dinner together before retiring to our own private celebrations. I felt bad for Richie and Jim when I realized they’d be alone on a day made for couples.

“S’okay, Trish. Dave and Hughey will be here by then and maybe we can try bungee jumping or something equally foolish” he grinned, but his smile didn’t hide the sadness I saw in his eyes.

“What about Heike? Your friend from Germany? And maybe Cherie…” I asked, wishing they could at least have some female companionship.

“I already called her, but she has college exams and can’t make it. And it’s not quite the same, really. She’s more like my daughter, you know” Richie replied sadly.

“Cherie won’t fly, Trish, remember? Besides, she’s not much for being spontaneous” Jim added with disappointment.

“I know, I just thought maybe …” I began.

“Trish, we’ll be okay. Really. Me and Jim can manage as bachelors. Besides, it’ll be like the four musketeers, or some shit like that, with me and Jim, Davey and Hughey” he reassured me.

“More like the Four Stooges, if you ask me” Tico quipped, nudging Richie who scowled back good-naturedly.

After dinner, we moved inside to the living room and Jon started a fire in the enormous stone fireplace and we cracked open another bottle of a prized local vintage. Richie pulled out his acoustic guitar and played us a preview of a melody he’d been working on and sang a few choruses he’d been toying with.


I bet it's warm in California
I think it's time to hit the road
I just might call that band of gypsies
Go searching for our pot of gold
Seems like lately there's a whole lotta leaving goin' on

I close my eyes and picture your hand in mine
I still hear your voice, it takes me back to that time
Well I can find a reason to be strong
Seems like lately there's a whole lot of leavin' goin' on


Jon began humming the melody and appeared lost in thought as Richie explained that the song wasn’t finished and still needed some work. Jon nodded and prompted Richie to play it again, this time adding his own verse at the end.


Close the window, draw the curtains
You ain't the only one here hurtin
No one's right, no one's wrong
Lately there's a whole lot of leavin' goin' on


Tico grinned and Richie smiled back, acknowledging Jon’s contribution. I wondered at the ease at which the lyrics came and I was curious about the second line Jon had composed. Neither Richie or Tico seemed offended and I guessed it had a particular meaning between them that I didn’t completely understand until Tico spoke up. Jim looked equally baffled.

“I remember those times, man. It seemed like we all crashed and burned together back then. Richie, you reminded us that we weren’t alone, we had each other and when one hurt, we all hurt. To the Brotherhood, man, to the Brotherhood” Tico announced, raising his glass for a toast.

“The Brotherhood” Jon and Richie echoed as they clinked their glasses together and high-fived each other.

“We’re always here for ya, Rich. Don’t ever forget that, bro” Jon reminded Richie.

“Thanks, guys… and you too, Trish, Jim” Richie said with tears in his eyes as he hugged me and looked up at Jim.


***************


The next day dawned bright and clear without a trace of clouds in the sky. Jon and I were having breakfast out in the courtyard by ourselves as Tico had headed off early to meet Eva at the airport in Queenstown and Richie and Jim were sleeping in late. He and Jim were heading out to go fly fishing, leaving me and Jon to our own devices.We’d decided to take the helicopter tour of Fiordland National Park with a picnic lunch on the shores of Lake Lochnagar as an additional way to experience the countryside.

As we were getting ready to leave, David called from hospital to say that they were discharging Hugh and that they’d be arriving just after lunch time this afternoon. Jon breathed a sigh of relief as we headed off to the heliport. The whole crew should be here by the time we got back.

Jon helped me up as I stepped into the luxury helicopter, running my fingers across the butter soft leather that covered the seats. Our pilot greeted us warmly and reviewed the itinerary as we settled down for what was to be one of the most memorable experiences in my life.

Our first destination was Milford Sound, referred to by Rudyard Kipling as the eighth Wonder of the World and with good reason. One view after another was more breathtaking than the last, and I was grateful to Jon for snapping the photos as I was too stunned to even remember that we’d brought the camera. The helicopter darted and wove its way through the landscape, affording spectacular views of forested cliffs, replete with sparkling waterfalls that dotted the lush landscape. Snow-capped mountains provided an inspiring backdrop to the rich, velvety greens of the sheer, rocky cliffs and the brilliant blue waters stretching in from the Tasman Sea.

“We’ve got to try the boat ride through here” Jon whispered, pointing down towards the tiny speck in the water.

“Over there is Sutherland Falls, the second highest waterfall in the southern hemisphere” our pilot announced as he turned the craft in for a closer look.

We dipped lower as the helicopter skimmed down the face of the cliff, pulling back farther to offer perspective on the incredible waterfall. It felt like a glimpse into a primordial world, the land before time began, as we watched the wild, foaming water cascading ever downwards on it’s jouney towards the sea.

“Ready to go visit the glaciers?” the pilot grinned, never tiring to see the reactions of his passengers.

Jon and I nodded speechlessly as the craft veered away, embarking towards our next destination-Mt. Tutoko, the highest peak in the Fiordlands. I caught my breath as we cleared the side of the slope and the pilot prepared to land on top of the mountain. I was shaking with wonder and excitement as I stepped out of the craft and Jon held my hand as we surveyed the primitive land. The wind whipped at my face at this altitude and I shivered at the sudden cold after the warmth of the helicopter, but the biting fresh air was a welcome reward. Surely we were at the top of the world.

I heard the cry of an unknown seabird and looked off to follow its flight, feeling envious of the sights it must see everyday. Jon handed the camera to the pilot who snapped a few photos while we soaked in the atmosphere. Words would have seemed out of place in such majestic surroundings and I was entirely too dumfounded to speak. Gripped by the raw beauty around us, Jon touched my cheek and I turned, and our eyes locked in mutual understanding and awe.

We reluctantly climbed back into the helicopter to continue on towards the glaciers, our last stop before lunch on the shore. We were able to actually set foot on Mount Jura, literally touching the blue ice of the ancient glacier with reverence. Mt. Tutoko, which we had just left, loomed in the distance, shoulder to shoulder with Mount Aspiring. It could only be “aspiring” towards heaven, I thought with a laugh.

We touched down on a desolate beach, and climbed out onto the sandy shore. It was just after noon and the weather was milder here, yet not what I would have called truly warm. The pilot handed us a picnic basket and a bottle of red wine and an opener and we walked for a bit before dropping down on the ground with our lunch. The fresh air had made us both hungry and we tore into the basket with gusto.

“Let’s we what we’ve got-I’m starving!” Jon said enthusiastically as he plucked out a couple of sandwich wraps and a platter of fruit and cheese.

I popped open the wine and poured us each a glass as we relaxed in the sunshine and shared our thoughts on the wonders we’d just witnessed. I pulled out the camera and hit the review button as Jon leaned over to see how well he’d captured our day.

“This is a gorgeous shot” I sighed, taking a bite of my chicken salad sandwich.

“I can see why they shot ‘The Lord of the Rings here’ Jon mumbled through a mouthful of food.

The photos were good, but they couldn’t compare to the feeling of awe that so much of the rugged landscape inspired. This was truly a home for the Gods, both because of the majesty as well as the gigantic proportions of everything we had seen. The waterfall itself was too high to capture in only one photo and the mountain vistas and cliffs made us feel small in comparison. Jon had managed to get a shot of the boat in Milford Sound and from the height we were at when he took it, it was barely visible. We both agreed that we wanted to try the boat ride before we left.

We finished our lunch and took a leisurely stroll down the beach, inhaling the scent of the salty sea air. The beaches of Jon’s native New Jersey had a charm of their own, but they buzzed and hummed with the frenetic energy of the people who inhabited the boardwalks. Here, however, all was serene and peaceful and the power we felt was a natural force that came from the bowels of the earth and the sea itself. Yes, it was a much different vibe, but it suffused us with energy all the same.

“We should head back” Jon finally said, checking his watch.

It was just after two-thirty and Eva would be there by now and David and Hugh should be arriving shortly. Jon took me in his arms and we kissed on the shores of Lake Lochnagar before rejoining our pilot and returning to Blanket Bay.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I feel like I am right there with them!

Thank you!

Linda

Bayaderra said...

Wow! What a visually beautiful chapter! I feel like I was almost there... Now how is David doing, has he arranged for Hugh to have a follow up care? ;)

Anonymous said...

Another fantastic chapter, Opester... but I got NO phone call from Richie :-)...
Heike

Opester said...

LOL! Sorry Heike, but Richie is thinking of you, I promise! And Bay, just hang in there, 'k? Trust me, you'll see...

Anonymous said...

Ohh wow Opester, you really took me away there to a different place! I must visit there one day!! No seriously, i must! Such a visual chapter! Can't wait for the next one!

P.s., Getting your pics lovely and clear! No little 'x's.

Mx
Kiwigirljbj

Opester said...

Hey Mx! It must have been some temporary glitch with Blogger as they reappeared the next day, but I can't find the good original photo I had for the main pic-aaahhh, well, c'est la vie... glad you're enjoying the visuals too-I really enjoyed researching Blanket Bay as you'll see in the coming chapters! Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouraging words!