Monday, February 2, 2009

The Sauna Part 284

“Eva!” I squealed with delight.

“Trish!” she squealed back as we connected in a heartfelt embrace.

We were all gathered in the common living area between Richie’s suite and ours while we waited for David and Hugh to arrive. Eva and I began chattering away, catching up on all the details of our lives and excitedly sharing any news. Eva knew most of mine as Tico had kept her appraised of the issues between Jon and his mother, Matt and Backstage and I was grateful to not have to recount the events.

“I was so sorry to hear about all of that, but I’m glad that Jon finally pulled his head out of his ass and saw them for what they are. I’ve never been able to stomach his mother and I, for one, am looking forward to a new era without her interference or participation” Eva said bluntly.

“I still wish it had worked out differently than it did, Eva, honestly, I do, for Jon’s sake. But I won’t lie and say that I’m not greatly relieved. I feel so much more relaxed and Jon and I are even closer as a result, but I wish it hadn’t come at the expense of his bond with his mother” I replied.

“Trish, there was no other way. She never gave you a choice and Carol was always an ‘all or nothing’ sort of player. Trust me when I say that Jon’s better off without her in his life. We can’t pick our family, only our friends and our lovers and Jon did a good job when he picked you” she smiled, giving me a hug. “This” she said as she gestured to indicate everyone in the room, “is Jon’s real family.”

It was true. Jon and I both had our fathers and I had my sister and he had his brother Tony, but we’d both been motherless orphans for some time. I felt as close to those in the room at that very moment as I’d ever felt to anyone in my life. I couldn’t imagine feeling more complete or whole if things with my mother had been different and I hoped that Jon felt the same, but I knew he had still lost something I’d never had and that made it different.

“Did I hear Eva actually giving me credit for something for a change?” Jon piped in, having overheard part of our exchange.

“Yep, you heard right. I commend you for choosing Trish as your wife. I think she’ll manage to keep you in line” Eva grinned as she gave Jon a hug.

“Well, for once I agree with you” Jon said affectionately as he gave Eva a kiss on the cheek.

Just at that moment the door opened and Hugh stepped into the room, followed by hoots and hollers and a true brotherly welcome. What we weren’t quite as prepared for was seeing David grinning like a madman as he made his entrance with Elena on his arm.

“Whoohoo! Will you look at that! Looks like the Joker finally found a lady who can disregard common sense and give him a whirl!” Richie jibed.

“Hey, asshole, you just haven’t met any women with taste” David jabbed back, still grinning from ear to ear.

“God bless you, darlin’, you have my deepest sympathy” Richie retorted with mock seriousness as he made a sweeping bow and brought Elena’s hand to his lips. “Please tell us all how this veritable rogue managed to charm such a discerning woman.”

“I can certainly see why you’d need the tips on charm, dark one. And I’m not your darlin’, let’s get that straight” Elena smiled sweetly and David let out a whoop.

“Dayum, bro, she’s got your number” Jon interjected, still laughing.

“And you, Mr. Rock Star-who-can’t follow-the-rules, could stand a lesson yourself. What charm school did you drop out of? The Joisey center for delinquent youth?” Elena snapped back in her best Jersey accent.

“Welcome to the family, my dear. I see you can hold your own with these cads. I apologize for their rudeness” Tico drawled, dripping with charm and a mock look of scorn towards Richie and Jon. “Allow me to introduce the love of my life, Eva, my wife” he added, pulling Eva to his side.

“It’s refreshing to see that some of your friends still remember their manners. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Eva. I’m Elena” she said seriously, but her eyes were twinkling with mirth.

“I like you already” Eva replied with genuine warmth as Jon and Richie just groaned.

“I’m sort of the mascot here. I’m Jim and I’m glad to meet you” Jim added, stepping forward and shaking Elena’s hand.

“I’m Trish, Jon’s wife. I know we’ve already met, but I wanted to officially introduce myself and welcome you to the fold. I’m glad David convinced you to come and allow us to show you that we’re not always ill-behaved” I grinned, playing along.

“It’s nice to meet you officially, Trish, and you have my sympathies” Elena replied, inclining her head in Jon’s direction.

“My wife is correct and please allow me to apologize for my boorish behavior in the past. I’m Jon” he said, extending his hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Elena” he added, careful to use her name and keeping his ear a good distance from her hand.

“That’s better, Blondie” Elena grinned, demonstrating that the rules didn’t apply to her and we all turned our attention to Richie.

“I hope you’ll allow me the opportunity to redeem myself and I’m indebted to you for pointing out my lack of polite manners. Let me assure you that I mean no disrespect to you or the Jo…er, Dave… and that I will make every effort to behave myself in the future. I’m Richie, or the Dark One if you prefer, and it is my sincere wish to welcome you to our family, Elena” Richie said as he knelt dramatically at her feet, ready to accept whatever judgment she pronounced.

“Rise, Dark One. It’s reassuring to see that you are capable of showing proper respect and I will forgive your transgressions provided you demonstrate the appropriate decorum in the future” Elena replied, trying to keep a straight face. “But you’re still on probation with me” she laughed as she gave a playful tug on his ear.

“Thank you for your mercy, milady” Richie grinned sheepishly.

We spent the remainder of the time until dinner getting better acquainted with Elena who proved a truly delightful addition to our family. I wished that Hugh’s wife could have joined us as well, but she didn’t particularly like travelling and Hugh shared with me that she was somewhat phobic about flying. If we ever decided to take a cruise altogether, she might join us. I offered to see if I could help her with overcoming the phobia, but Hugh declined the invitation, explaining that what they had worked well for them. Perhaps someday we would take a cruise.

Dinner in the main dining area was a scrumptious affair and we were treated to a variety of mouth-watering choices. The chefs at Blanket Bay were world-class to say the least and two had won international awards for their dishes. We took our time over dinner, savoring each course, and enjoying the rare opportunity to dine together without any rush to hurry off for a show.

“I’m going to need to hire a personal trainer if we stay here for long” Elena announced, pushing back from the table after finishing her dessert.

“I’m with you there, babe” David smiled, patting his stomach. “What do you say we try and work off some of these calories…” he began to which he was met by Elena’s brows arched in warning.

“and go for a walk along the lake” he added tactfully and Elena readily agreed.

We were a rather intense group at times and I thought it a wise move on Dave’s part to give Elena a break from our scrutiny, but the truth was that we all liked her and she fit in just fine. There was some renegotiating over room arrangements since Hugh had anticipated sharing a suite with Dave which obviously wouldn’t work now. Since Richie and Jim were the only other “singles” in our group, they offered Hugh the opportunity to “bunk” with them. The Lodge was full, given that it was Valentine’s week, and there weren’t any other accomodations really available.

“Thanks, man. I sure wasn’t looking forward to horning in on their time together, even if Elena makes David behave a bit longer…and I suspect that she will” Hugh agreed with a smirk.

“No problem, man, but hey, just remember we’ve got company too. Don’t expect a quiet, restful recovery with these two practicing for the bedroom Olympics right next door” Richie said, waggling his eyebrows like Graucho Marx.

“Hell, yeah. You’d think there was an earthquake or something” Jim piped in, shaking his head with a slightly sardonic laugh.

“Speaking of which, Trish, how about if we go and start warming up?” Jon cackled devilishly with a fairly obvious nudge.

“Was that supposed to pass as a subtle hint, love?” I replied demurely.

“Subtle for me” he winked, taking my hand, and meeting my eyes.

“Well, c’mon then, before Richard and Jim start selling tickets” I scolded.

“Sorry there, darlin’. I guess Elena may have a point; I can be rather uncouth” Richie slurred.

Tico and Eva rose too, anxious to have time alone after such a long separation and I bent down to whisper in Jim’s ear.

“I’m so glad you’re here and that Richie won’t be alone” I said softly as I brushed his cheek with a kiss.

“Let Hugh get some rest and we’ll see you in the morning for breakfast” I said a bit louder and Hugh patted my hand as I kissed him goodnight.

“Don’t worry, Trish. We’re switching to coffee as soon as we get back to the room” Hugh whispered to me and I looked at him gratefully.

I hugged Richie tightly and told him goodnight before Jon and I left with Tico and Eva to head off to our suites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - Elena and "The Joker" - what a funny couple - can't wait for another chapterabout theaching manners to the guys..
Heike

Bayaderra said...

Lets see...Elena and David(oh I got a buzz from just typing that), Tico and Eva, Jon and Trish...All practicing for the "bedroom Olympics"...Some how I don't think Poor Jim, Hugh and Richie will get too much rest! LOL!