Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Sauna Part 307

The beach house was spacious and airy and set high on a cliff, looking out over the ocean. It was decorated in traditional Southwestern colors with a casual flair and the whole place was illuminated with light from the huge windows facing the ocean. But what caught my attention first was Cherie standing there grinning and holding two precious kittens in her arms.

“Oh my Goddess! Look at these little darlings!” I cooed as she handed me one of the tiny furballs.

“We just found them on our doorstep last weekend, Trish! Aren’t they adorable? This one’s my little grey girl, but this orange boy is yours if you want him!” Cherie giggled.

Jon looked at Jim with alarm, avoiding my gaze altogether. He knew what was coming already and he knew from experience thatit was already a done deal. There was nothing he could say to convince me that we didn’t need another cat, let alone a kitten, and he knew my weakness for orange boys-as did Cherie. Jim just stared at the floor and apologized.

“And I thought you were my friend” Jon said under his breath and Jim smirked.

“Baby, little Richie could really use a friend you know” I began and Jon rolled his eyes.

“Thanks, man, I’m gonna get you for this” Jon said with mock menace and Jim snorted as he already knew the kitten was going home with us somehow.

“Trish, how do you plan to take him home on the bike? In the saddlebags?” Jon said in a futile attempt to dissuade me.

“Well of course not! Jim and Cherie will just have to come out and visit when we get home and they can bring him along then” I said, having solved the problem rather simply.

“What are you going to call him, Trish?” Cherie interjected, dismissing any further protests from Jon.

“I think we should name him James” Jon suggested, glaring at Jim.

“How about Jovi?” I grinned, smirking at Jon.

“Who ever said women were the weaker sex never met my wife” Jon shrugged helplessly as he ruffled the fur on the little cat’s head and he started to purr.

“See, he likes the name and he already likes you” I said with a convincing smile.

“Alright, alright, I guess you can keep him” Jon replied as if there’d ever been any doubt. “This means you two will have to come out and stay with us for a bit” he added, eyeing Jim.

“No problem, buddy. A Colorado vacation in exchange for a kitten? Sounds like a good deal for me” Jim laughed.

We moved out onto the terrace to relax before dinner and Jim brought out a pitcher of Margaritas while Cherie prepared a few things in the kitchen. I laid down on a chaise lounge with my new charge while Jon walked about on the deck, stretching his legs. Jovi was soon fast asleep on my chest and I wasn’t too far behind him. I closed my eyes and drifted off, feeling the warmth of the sun on my face.

“So, how’s it been on the road again? You guys have been gone almost a month now, right?” Jim asked.

“It’s been amazing to be really honest. It’s like seeing the country with fresh eyes, man. You feel like a part of it, not just an observer. I notice everything, you know? Like the changes in temperature when you ride through a patch of shade or climb high in the hills. And you smell everything. We could smell the pine trees when we rode through the woods and I could even smell the ocean as we got closer. It’s like nothing else you could ever imagine” Jon sighed.

“I would give my eye teeth to do what you’re doing. Honestly, I really would” Jim said wistfully.

“Why don’t you come with us, man? Seriously. We’re heading down to Richie’s when we leave here. You’d only be gone for a day. It could be like old times” Jon persuaded.

“Shit, Cherie would be beside herself. She freaks out whenever I’m gone for more than an hour or two as it is” Jim said sadly, shaking his head.

“But this would be different. You wouldn’t be all alone-you’d be with us. Cherie would know you were safe” Jon continued.

“You’re a bad influence, man. You’re gonna get me in trouble” Jim said, scratching his chin as he considered the opportunity.

“Consider it payback for that” Jon teased, jerking his head toward where Jovi and I lay napping.

“Look, let me think about it while you’re here, but don’t say anything to Cherie. Let me talk to her first, okay?” Jim pleaded, pursing his lips.

“You got it, bro” Jon grinned, knowing he’d planted the seed.

“Is everyone hungry?” Cherie asked as she joined us out on the deck. “Dinner’s ready.”

As Jon and I lay in bed, with Jovi snuggled in right between us, Jon shared his idea to invite Jim to join us. I was doubtful that Cherie would let him go, but I also knew that Jim’s patience went only so far with her anxiety. If this was something he really wanted to do, and it sounded like he did, he’d do it, with or without Cherie’s approval.

“You know, I’ve got an idea, though. What if you and Jim rode the bikes up to Richie’s and Cherie and I could come up the next day or the following one in the car. It would give me and Cherie some time alone together and we could bring the cats with us. Cherie wouldn’t feel so left out and she might be more agreeable to the whole notion. She could even follow Jim home when we leave Richie’s” I suggested.

“That might just work. I’ll pitch it to Jim in the morning and see what he thinks” Jon agreed as he rolled over to kiss me, gently moving the sleeping kitten.

I rolled over closer and snuggled into Jon’s arms, but we were both a little too tired and a little too sore to do more than cuddle. I fell sound asleep, lulled off to dreamland by the sound of Jon’s snoring blending in with the steady rhythm of purrs from a contented little furball asleep on my pillow.


******************


We spent the next several days at Cherie and Jim’s, walking along the beach, skinny dipping in the ocean and hanging out at the house while we all slowly chipped away at Cherie’s resistance. She finally relented, having realized it wasn’t fair to deprive Jim of the opportunity to do something he’d always dreamed about too. Richie was thrilled when we called to tell him the news.

“It’ll be like old times” he’d said, echoing Jon and Jim’s thoughts.

The guys took off after breakfast and Cherie and I had a day of shopping and spa treatments planned and we were anxious to get going ourselves. It had been several years since I’d been to Tienda Ho and there was a store right there in San Francisco and shopping there was almost as orgasmic as sex, at least for me. The new summer colors had just arrived and we had a heyday, mixing and matching skirts, tops, scarves and belts until we’d exhausted the possibilities. Cherie had two large shopping bags by the time we were done, and me, well, they were shipping my collection in two separate boxes. It was time for the spa.

The shopping spree had managed to keep Cherie distracted for most of the day, but now that we were relaxing in the sauna after an invigorating massage, she started to fret.

“I should call Jim. We haven’t heard from them all day. Do you think something happened?” she asked anxiously.

“Cher, they’re fine. Jon or Jim would have called if anything went wrong. Just relax and enjoy being pampered” I cajoled, letting the warmth of the sauna soothe my sore muscles.

“I’m gonna call him” she announced as she reached for her cell phone.

“If they’re on the road, they won’t hear the phone. Please, just relax. Jon will call as soon as they stop for dinner. Speaking of which, I’m getting hungry. Where should we eat?” I asked, changing the subject.

“I know a great seafood place not far from here-it’s one of my favorites” she said brightly and we gathered our things and headed off for a quick shower.

We’d just ordered dinner when Cherie’s phone rang and I could see her breathe a sigh of relief when she heard Jim’s voice on the other end. My phone rang too and I winked at Cherie before answering the call.

“Hi babe. So did you buy out the store?” Jon’s voice teased on the other end.

“I tried my best, but there were still a few things left when we were through” I teased back and he groaned. “How far did you guys ride?” I wondered.

“Far enough, darlin’, far enough. Jim’s pretty tough for an old man” he chuckled, giving Jim a nudge and a nod.

“So I assume we should head out tomorrow then? It’ll take us about six hours or so” I replied.

“Yeah, that would be good. We took the long way and went up the coast and took a few detours-the scenery is great, but you’ll get here quicker if you take I-5 instead. We’re gonna check out a few places yet, but we should make it to Richie’s by noon tomorrow” he advised.

“Okay, we’ll start out early, if I can get Cherie up at a decent hour, that is. I’ll shoot for mid-afternoon. I miss you, love” I said finally.

“I miss you too, Trish. See ya tomorrow, but drive careful. I love you” he said, sounding tired.

“I love you too, Jon. Get some rest” I encouraged as I hung up the phone.

We finished our dinner and headed back to the beach house. Cherie jabbered all the way home and I began to miss the companionable silence that Jon and I were able to share. Cherie had realized, though, how important this trip was to Jim and she was resolved to allow him more space and she was even thinking of letting him take her out on the bike. But only for a short ride, she clarified. At least that was progress.

I was exhausted when we got home and we both agreed to turn in early so we could get an early start in the morning. Although for Cherie, early meant ten o’clock in the morning. That was okay, though. We’d still make it to Richie’s before evening. I yawned and stretched out in the bed which felt altogether too large without Jon to share it. It was the first time we’d slept apart in several years and I had no intention of making it a habit. Jovi curled up and I snuggled against him for comfort. His warm furry body was soothing and eventually I fell asleep.

7 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Awwww, a new furry baby!
Why is Cherrie so paranoid about leting Jim go anywhere?

Opester said...

Ooops! My mistake-I thought I had explained it more clearly-it's not that she won't let him go anywhere-just won't let him go far or for long on the bike-she's afraid he'll get in an accident and get hurt! Thanks for pointing that out, Bay-I should have elaborated more!

alicefayenjbj said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh a little achoo for me seeing as how I am alergic to cats. I love the advanced years...got to remember that for later.

Great chapter. more please?

daydreamer said...

Hi Opester! Thanks for commenting on my story, even though I haven't updated in months. It was definitely a coincidence that you posted a message to me. I've been thinking a lot about my story lately, and I have a good friend of mine reading it right now...I'm hoping she can give me some ideas on what to write next. I'm very slowly starting to hear the muse whispering again. You must have sensed that. :) I definitely plan to finish the story eventually...when, I'm not sure, but it's not over yet. :) Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

A little shopping, a little pampering, am loving this trip! And a new addition to the family...nice name. :)

Rike said...

I wish you a happy holiday.

and this is for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawHPKt2rIs

Opester said...

Aaaawww, Rike, thank you! That was adorable and so sweet! It just made my holiday!!!! Love it!