Friday, December 19, 2008

The Sauna Part 279

We made it back to the hotel around dinner time and hopped in the shower to clean up after the beach. Jon was decked out in his leather pants and a skin tight wife-beater shirt that made my mouth water as I reluctantly tugged on my jeans. We’d arranged to meet all the guys for dinner prior to the show and we didn’t dare arrive late yet again.

We met up with Richie and Jim before stopping to collect the rest of the band. David was already leaving his room and there was no answer when we knocked on Tico’s door.

“Yo, is Teek in there with you?” David called as he pushed open the door to Hugh’s room and we waited outside.

“Yeah, man, I’m here. Something’s up” Tico called back and we walked in to see Hugh gripping his stomach and trying to smile.

“Shit, man, you look white as a ghost” Richie observed.

“It’s nothing. I must’ve ate something that didn’t agree with me” Hugh explained, forcing a smile, but I could see beads of sweat on his brow.

I felt his forehead and he felt feverish and I was beginning to get worried. This isn’t a simple stomach ache I thought to myself as I watched him wince while another jolt of pain rippled through him.

“Jon, he needs a doctor. It might be a heart attack” I whispered.

Jon nodded and called down to the desk for an ambulance while Hugh protested he was fine. Tico looked at us and then back at Hugh and shook his head.

“Sorry, man, no sale. You gotta get this checked out” he agreed.

“We got a show tonight! I can manage…” he argued, gripping his belly again.

We waited anxiously for the ambulance and Tico and I sat with Hugh while Jon and Richie spoke in low whispers.

“This ain’t lookin’ good, bro. He can’t go on stage, whatever it is” Richie advised.

“I know, man, I know. It’s too late to get someone else, but we can change up the set and do some acoustic numbers, but we still need a bass player” Jon said thoughtfully, eyeing Jim.

“Hey, what songs do you know well enough to play?” Richie asked, looking at Jim.

“What? Me? You can’t be serious…” Jim replied with a look of disbelief.

“Our options are limited, man. It’s either that or cancel the show” Jon responded firmly.

“Jon, I’ll be fine. I’ll go to the hospital and they can give me something…” Hugh interjected but Jon dismissed him as he pushed Jim a bit harder.

“I can’t cover for Hugh! I’m no musician! I just fool around on the guitar…” Jim protested, running his hands through his hair.

“Well, you’re the best thing we got” Richie sighed.

The paramedics arrived and checked Hugh’s pulse and his blood pressure, but his temperature was the major concern. It didn’t appear to be his heart, but they suspected appendicitis as they proceeded to strap him into a gurney. Hugh wasn’t arguing any longer as it was obvious he couldn’t perform and this wasn’t the flu.

“Babe, go with Hugh, okay? We’ve gotta help Jim learn a few more songs and figure out what we can dump from the set list and…” Jon explained in a rush.

“Got it, I’ll stay with Hugh and I’ll call as soon as we know something, okay? I’ll either meet you at the venue or you can meet me at the hospital after the show” I said hurriedly as I kissed him goodbye and followed the paramedics.

“Thanks, darlin’. Call me as soon as you know” Jon called after me, turning his attention to Jim.

“You guys gotta be fuckin’ kiddin’ me! I’m not any good and I only know seven songs!” Jim bellowed.

“Chill, amigo. They’ll do some acoustic stuff and change up the set list; Jon can cover the bass for a number of songs. It’ll work” Tico grinned, patting him on the back.

“Yeah, dude, and don’t forget about the groupies. I can help cover you there” David chimed in.

“C’mon, let’s get to work. Somebody order some dinner from room service. At least we got time to prepare” Jon interjected, focusing now on the task of turning Jim into a bass player.

“Fuck…” Jim sighed, acknowledging defeat.


**************


I sat quietly in the waiting room while they wheeled Hugh into the examination room. He’d smiled at me bravely as I kissed his cheek before they took him away and I toyed with the idea of calling his wife. I decided to wait and see what they said, hoping I’d have better news than I feared. I bent my head and offered a silent prayer to the Goddess while I concentrated on directing healing thoughts towards Hugh.

“McDonald? Is someone here with Hugh McDonald?” I heard a voice ask.

“Yes, I’m here! How is he?” I answered immediately.

“Are you his wife?” the nurse asked.

“No, I’m his friend. His wife is in New Jersey but I can call her. Please tell me what’s happening” I begged.

“He’s going to need surgery, but he gave consent. He’s got a hot appendix and I need you to fill out some paperwork and arrange for the payment” she replied as if it was simply routine.

“Here’s my credit card, dammit! Just charge any expenses” I spat back, shoving the card in her hand.

“Doesn’t he have any insurance?” she persisted.

“I don’t know and I don’t care. There’s more than enough on this card to cover anything he needs. Is he going to be alright?” I demanded, losing patience rapidly.

“I expect he’ll be fine, dear. It didn’t burst and they’ll get him into the O. R. as soon as they can” she replied calmly.

“As soon as they can? What are you saying?” I cried, feeling helpless as the panic set in.

“It’s been a busy night and we just had a car crash come in ahead of you and the O. R. is full” she explained tersely.

“I need to talk the doctor” I insisted. “Right now!” I screamed, pushing her out of the way as I headed toward the exam room.

“You can’t go in there!” she said adamantly, blocking my way.

“Watch me!” I hissed as I shoved her out of the way and pushed through the door.

“What’s going on in here?” I demanded, rushing to Hugh’s side as he looked at me weakly.

“It’s his appendix. He’s stable right now, but he needs surgery. We’re waiting on the O. R., but it shouldn’t be long before one opens up” the doctor in charge replied as he ushered me towards the door.

“What if it bursts while you’re waiting?” I needed to know.

“It’s not quite that serious, we’ve got time and we’re monitoring him. He’ll be fine” the doctor assured me, still moving me towards the door.

“Can’t I stay with him?” I pleaded.

“No, we don’t really encourage that, ma’am. There are plenty of folks here to keep an eye on him and we’ve given him something to help with the pain. It won’t be much longer and I’ll keep you informed. Right now we need you to fill out some paperwork” he said gently.

My heart was still thumping, but Hugh smiled at me gently and nodded his head. Maybe I’d overreacted, but I was still annoyed that he had to wait and I didn’t like the nurse’s attitude one little bit. I returned to my seat and filled out the paperwork before dialing Hugh’s wife to give her the news.


***********


“It’s not that complicated” Richie said patiently as he showed Jim the chord progression for the third time.

“Yeah, maybe not for you” Jim complained as he tried it again, finally getting it correctly.

“This is gonna be fun” Dave snickered as he nudged Tico.

Jon shot him a warning glance as he grabbed another sandwich from the cold plate they’d ordered for dinner and scratched something else off the set list. Richie continued to instruct Jim on a couple of songs they really needed to include, while he tried diligently to remain calm. Jon had briefly considered canceling the show, but he quickly dismissed the idea in favor of readjusting the set list and including more spotlight solos. The fans in New Zealand would not be disappointed this tour.

He took another bite of his sandwich, swallowing with determination, and winced as he heard Jim make another mistake. His phone rang and he prayed silently that I had better news than he expected.

“Trish? How’s Hugh? What’s going on?” he asked and the room fell silent as they waited for news.

“It’s his appendix, Jon. He needs emergency surgery and the operating rooms are all full. There was an accident before we arrived, but Hugh’s stable right now according to the doctor” I breathed heavily.

“Did you call his wife? Did his appendix burst?” Jon fired off questions.

“I called her nd I’m keeping her up to date. It didn’t burst yet and they’re monitoring him. Wait, wait a minute…” I said, standing as I watched them wheel Hugh out of the exam room and head towards the elevator.

I ran up to the doctor, but one of the interns stopped me to explain.

“They just cleared an O.R. upstairs and we’re taking him up right now” he said hurriedly.

“Did something happen?” I asked, gripping the young man’s arm.

“Not yet” he smiled grimly.

“Trish? Trish?” Jon’s voice came over the phone.

“He’s on his way up to surgery now. It looks like his condition just got more serious, but at least they cleared an O. R. I’ll call as soon as I know more” I replied.

Jon broke the news to the guys who’d been waiting with anticipation. Jim swallowed hard, but he redoubled his efforts now that he realized there was no chance of a reprieve and he seemed better able to focus now that he knew it was up to him. They had less than an hour and it was time to head for the venue.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon should told the fans what happens and I'm sure they will understand this.

Thank you for the chapter and I wish you happy holidays.

Anonymous said...

Ohh no! Poor Hughie! But hey, we will get a acoustic show! How cool! But poor Jim, lol, wonder how he is gonna manage playing bass in front of all those people.

Maxine
Kiwigirljbj

Anonymous said...

So much for everything going smoothly....have things like this happened in real life?

Loved your chapter-hope Hugh is okay!

Linda

Bayaderra said...

Poor Hughie!!!
Trish, sorry for the "nasty nurse" encounter...not all of us are like that...I'm very family friendly :)
Hope they do the surgery laporascopically so he can go home next day!

Opester said...

Hey Bayaderra! I just now realized you're a kiwi! How cool!
Hang in there, Maxine...more to come, but probably after the holday!

Bayaderra said...

LOL!
Nope Opester, I'm not a kiwi, I'm a Jersey Girl... But I am an RN! That's what I ment by the apology! LOL sorry for the confusion...

Opester said...

Yeesh! I guess the hot flashes have melted my brain! No apologies needed, Bay!

richiesambora said...

Poor Huey & poor Jim!

A couple of chapters ago I've made a comment which included this sentence:
"Somehow I got the feeling that soon something "bad" is going to happen."
Nevertheless I didn't expect something like that is going to happen.
Hope Huey's going to be fine after the surgery. And good luck for Jim too.
Fingers crossed that we get a new chapter before the holidays.
Opester, you can't leave us like that for the holidays.
~Andi

Anonymous said...

Hey Opester

Love it - the Kiwis get an accoustical show with something different - WOOHOO!
By cripes there would have been trouble if they had cancelled - Jonnys a very sensible man!!!

We dont pay for operations etc here in NZ, even if you arnt a Kiwi and get emergency surgery, its on us taxpayers...
...so come on over any tiem you liek to check out our beautiful country...and burst an appendix free of charge while you are here!
At least Hugh will have an everlasting memory and scar of NZ!!!!
Right, next chapter - YAAH!

Dabs71