Monday, December 29, 2008

The Sauna Part 280

The crowd was excited as they jammed their way in to the Westpac Trust Stadium, affectionately known as the “Cake Tin” by the locals. They’d dubbed it that some time ago in recognition of its striking resemblance to a huge cake pan and the name stuck. The “Cake Tin” was generally used to hold rugby tournaments-the island’s national sport-but tonight it was packed to the rafters with eager fans awaiting the first Jovi concert in New Zealand in years.

Jim took a deep breath as he peered out from the side of the stage and gulped. Shit! There must be almost fifty thousand people out there. What if I fuck it all up? What if I forget the chords to the songs? What if I throw up? he thought miserably, feeling the bile rise in his stomach when he spotted the guys from the bar in the front row. There just might be a way out of this he thought to himself as he felt Richie sidle up alongside him, clapping him on the back for support.

“Hey, look! It’s those guys from last night! Out in the audience-see-there they are! Maybe they could sit in-at least they’re real musicians!” Jim announced excitedly.

“That’s a possibility for a few numbers, bro, but they don’t know many of our songs, remember? I’ll mention it to Jon, but relax, man, you’ll be fine” Richie grinned, but it wasn’t a bad idea either. “I’ll go talk to Jon” he agreed.

Jon listened as Richie explained the idea and Jim nodded vigorously, confirming everything Richie was saying. The songs that the guys from the local band knew were the ones that Jim didn’t feel comfortable playing, except ‘Wanted’ which he actually knew. It would be a great way to help out a struggling local band and it might just save Jim from having a meltdown. He acknowledged it was a win-win situation and chided himself that he hadn’t thought of it first.

“Go ahead, go talk to them. Give ’em a chance to earn those tickets we gave ’em” Jon finally said and Jim breathed a sigh of relief.

Richie sent Rick into the audience to go get the guys while he barked a few orders to his guitar tech to bring up a few spares he wasn’t planning to use during the show. He’d give the kids their choice from his collection and make sure they were ready when the time came. He smiled a broad smile when Rick ushered the newbies into to his dressing room.

“So, are you guys in the mood for a little exposure?” he grinned.

“Man, I’m really sorry about the other night. I felt like an ass when we realized who we’d been jammin’ with” the bassist stuttered, embarrassed by the remarks he had made.

“Yeah, me too. I can’t believe I called Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora old farts” the lead singer apologized.

“Yeah, Dickie, you’re such an asshole sometimes” the lead guitarist admonished him. “They ain’t gonna let you up on stage after you shot your fuckin’ mouth off like that.”

“Not true, my friend. Arrogance is an important quality in a lead singer. Right, Jon?” Richie winked as Jon entered the room and Dickie whirled around, blinded by Jon’s flashing smile.

“Yeah, I oughtta know” Jon replied with a laugh, shaking hands with the kid who’d predicted he’d be pretty lame. It was easy to be magnanimous when you were Jon Bon Jovi.

“Shit…” Dickie rasped, his throat suddenly dry. “We’re not worthy” he grinned, bowing down with some flare as he recovered his wits with a dramatic rendition from ‘Wayne’s World’.

“The kid’s got some spunk” Richie smirked, shaking his head.

“Okay, kid, let’s see what ya got. How about if I call you up when it’s time for an oldie?” Jon teased and Dickie winced, nodding ruefully.

“You got it man, it’ll be an honor” he said, genuinely humble now.

“Five minutes” Rick called from the hallway and they all headed out towards the stage.


**************


I drained my third cup of coffee, wishing for something stronger, as I paced back and forth in the waiting room. Hugh had gone into surgery over an hour ago and I hadn’t seen any of the staff who’d accompanied his gurney into the elevator. I was refilling my cup for the fourth time when the young intern appeared in the doorway.

“Is he okay? Did everything go okay?” I asked in a worried voice.

“Your friend’s in recovery and he’s doing well. He’s just coming around now, but he’s fine. We got it before it ruptured” he smiled.

“Oh thank the Goddess! When can I see him?” I bleated, tears pricking my eyes.

“Not right away, but maybe in an hour or so, but he needs to rest, so you won’t be allowed to stay long” he replied.

“Thank you, thank you! And thank the surgeon for me too, okay?” I answered excitedly.

“No problem. There’s just one thing, though” he added and I caught my breath.

“Any chance I might be able to get an autograph from Bon Jovi? You guys are with the band, right? My girlfriend is a huge fan and …” he began.

“No problem, I promise. The guys will be here after the show” I grinned. “Let me know when I can go up and see Hugh” I said with a sigh of relief.

“Will do” he nodded and disappeared back into the hall.

I tried calling Jon but he didn’t answer and I looked at the time. They were already on stage so I called Rick and told him the good news. He’d make sure Jon knew as soon as he took a break and he’d get them to sign a CD or something for the intern who’d asked. I settled back into my chair and called Hugh’s wife to share the good news and I promised to call her back as soon as they’d let me in to see him.


**********


The show was going surprisingly well despite the stress everyone felt. Jon told the fans that Hugh had been taken to the hospital with acute appendicitis and asked them to show a warm welcome to Jim who’d just been drafted into the band. The fans were terrific and they gave a resounding cheer for both Jim and Hugh and as a result they were treated to an especially memorable show.

The band played a few oldies that they rarely performed on tour anymore, but they did them with an acoustic slant and the fans ate it up. ‘Dry County’ seemed even more popular now than it had been when Faith was first released and Jon gave some serious thought to resurrecting it a little more often. Jim made a few errors, but no one even blinked an eye and even Richie was proud of how well he played considering what little preparation he’d had. His confidence soared when it came to ‘It’s My Life’ and he actually looked like he was starting to enjoy himself.

Jon left the stage briefly to change his shirt and Rick told him that Hugh was out of danger and in recovery and the relief washed over him like a breath of fresh air. He returned to the stage with renewed vigor and energy and shared the good news with the audience. There was a round of applause as he very appropriately launched into ‘Keep the Faith’ and the guys were all grinning like loons.

The kids from last night were genuinely awestruck as they watched from the wings, awaiting their cue. Willie, the lead guitarist and Dickie’s brother, lovingly fingered the strings of Richie’s guitar, sighing with admiration.

“Are ya gonna play it or fuck it?” Dickie grinned, jabbing his brother in the ribs.

“Shut up, you asshole! Try not to spew any more stupid shit and just sing the damn songs when we’re asked, okay?” Willie spat back.

“I’m cool, man. Lighten up, will ya?” Dickie retorted as the bassist shot him a look.

“Dickie, man, don’t freakin’ blow this, okay? Those guys have been really good sports and they’re givin’ us more exposure than we deserve after the stupid shit we said. Watch your mouth” Jeremy chimed in.

“Okay, okay. I’m just nervous too” Dickie admitted.

“And now we’d like to take this opportunity to share some home grown talent with ya’ll! From right here in Wellington, would you please give a warm welcome to the Bluenotes” Jon’s voice boomed through the amps as the kids made their way onto the stage.

The applause from the audience was nearly deafening as they strained to hear the opening notes of the song they needed to play. Willie and Dickie exchanged knowing looks as Jeremy, the bassist, dove headlong into ‘Bad Medicine’. Jim stayed on stage until they finished the song, quietly slipping away when the house lights dimmed momentarily and watching from the side as they ripped through several old numbers. Dickie managed to keep himself in check and joined Jon in the choruses, while Willie and Richie jammed with each other.

If the crowd had been disappointed with the unexpected showcase of local talent, they gave no indication. Jon beamed as all the Tommy’s and Gina’s in the audience echoed his chorus and they found themselves wooed once again by the adoration of their fans. The show finally ended after three and half hours with Jim joining the band for their anthem and ‘Wanted’ blared from the amps with the entire audience on their feet. The “Cake Tin” was shaking from thunderous applause as the entire cast took their bows and Jim and the Bluenotes shared their first Jovi high.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too sweet-I love they way they overcome trials and tribulations as a band of brothers!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Well the Bluenotes couldn;t have asked for more! The Cake Tin would have been rattlng! Great!

Maxine :-)
Kiwigirljbj

Anonymous said...

I wish you a Happy New Year and I hope we get a lot of new chapters or maybe a new story ;)

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO Opester - you go girl.
Love it!
As Kiwigirljbj said, that Cake tin would be rattling...and we would be right up the front!!!!
3.5hr show too - damn it, can we make this real somehow?!?!? A dream come true!!!!
So glad the show went on and by the sounds of it a great performance so Jon wont be snippy! The lads can enjoy some fine NZ wines, seafood and women!
Wah hah hah!!!!!!!!!!!

Top work on Hugie being OK too - would hate to have anything bad happen to him in our fair land!

New Years celebrations are over, keep writing!!!

Dabs71

Anonymous said...

Love this story please write more and soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope everything is OK with you Opester. It's usually not this long between chapters.eacill

Opester said...

I just had to put my sweet little Floyd to sleep this week and I just don't have any inspiration to write at the moment. I'll be back eventually, but it may be a while. Thank you for checking in and asking-I hope ya'll understand as you know from the story how important my kitties are to me!

Anonymous said...

OH!! I'm so sorry about Floyd. I know the feeling. I lost 3 during the last 3 years.
big hug

Opester said...

Rike, I'm so sorry for your losses too-how horrible! I am still devastated.

Connie said...

Oh my goodness. I am so terribly for your loss. I recently had to put my doggie to sleep, so I know what you are going through. It's losing a member of the family. You're story is fantastic, and I'll wait for more. God bless! Connie