Monday, May 11, 2009

The Sauna Part 298

Morning arrived and we awoke rather abruptly as all the kids crashed onto the bed with a chorus of ‘Happy Birthday’. Jon tried to sit up, but with Romeo perched on his chest, it was rather impossible and all together too comical. I giggled and laughed, dispelling the tension I’d been feeling since yesterday and the kids’ happy chattering chased away any of my remaining qualms. Stephanie insisted on serving us breakfast in bed and we were more than content to stay where we were as she drafted Jesse to help her prepare it.

The cats had immediately fled at the site of the kids, leaving me and Jon with Jakey and Romeo. Jesse arrived back momentarily with orange juice and coffee and had no sooner sat down when we heard Stephanie bellow for him to come back.

“What is your sister creating down there?” Jon asked as Jesse stood up to go.

“Pancakes and bacon, I think. I’ll be back” he said in a mock “Terminator” voice and we both laughed.

“Daddy, how old are you?” Jakey demanded.

“Older than dirt” Jon replied, running his fingers through his hair with a grin.

“How old is dirt?” Jake followed up and I hid my smile with my hand.

“Well, lemme see…dirt is at least one hundred thousand years old” Jon replied seriously.

“C’mon Dad, how old are you?” Jakey insisted.

“Old enough to know where you’re ticklish” Jon responded, attacking him in the ribs.

Jake dissolved in a fit of laughter but he was not going to allow his Dad to distract him that easily. He persistently pestered Jon for an answer until finally he gave in and told him his age, giving rise to more questions.

“Wow! That IS really old! Were there dinosaurs here when you were my age?” he wanted to know.

“Not quite, buddy. I’m not THAT old” Jon grinned, rolling his eyes.

“Don’t let him fool you, Jakey. Jon had a pet brontosaurus when he was little” I teased.

Jake’s eyes widened in surprise and new found respect for his Dad while Jon pouted and gave me his famous “duck lips”.

“Just like the Flintstones?” Jakey continued and I giggled.

“Ask Trish, see seems to remember” Jon goaded him, raising his eyebrows at me.

“Oh, yes, just like the Flintstones, sweetie. Your Dad’s really, really old” I replied which provoked Jon to tickle me until I gave in, admitting the lie.

“No! I give! I was just kidding… there were no dinosaurs, even back then” I panted breathlessly as Steph and Jesse arrived carrying trays of food.

We ate our breakfast in bed with all the kids piling on and we complimented Steph and Jesse on the fine breakfast they’d prepared. Jon cut up small pieces of pancake for Romeo and Steph had brought applesauce for him too. Not a morsel remained when we were finished and Stephanie looked very pleased with herself.

“How about if I give you a hand with the clean-up?” I offered and she nodded appreciatively.

Steph and I went down to the kitchen and we had a few moments to talk while Jon got Jakey and Romeo cleaned up a bit.

“That was a terrific breakfast, sweetheart! You’re quite a cook!” I commended her as we proceeded to clean up the wreckage.

“Thanks, Trish. I’m so excited about the party! I can’t believe Dad doesn’t suspect anything!” she bubbled.

“Me too, Steph. I just hope your Dad likes surprises” I whispered.


************


By mid-afternoon it was time to head out and Jon was stalling.

“C’mon, it won’t be that bad. It’ll be over in no time and the birthday revels may commence” I said coaxingly.

“I know, I know. I’m almost ready” he grumbled, pulling the jersey over his head.

“Hey, we should get a picture of this, love. You know, with all of us dressed in our jerseys” I prodded.

“I know it’s my birthday when I see YOU wearing a football jersey. Let’s take the camera along; it’s really nice that you all got decked out to support the Team” he added, surveying his family. “The guys will really love it” he grinned finally.

We drove to the airport and boarded the small plane for Denver just before five with Jon assuming we’d all go to dinner after the interview. We looked like a real group of fans ourselves as we stepped off the plane and John Elway would’ve had to been blind not to recognize us. He waved a big “Hello” as he strode forward and Stephanie gave him a hug.

“How’s my big girl?” Elway grinned, reaching around her to shake hands with Jesse.

Jakey extended his hand and Elway covered it with his big paw, making Jake feel like the little man that he was. Jon held Romeo in his arms and smiled as he introduced me to Elway.

“It’s such a pleasure to meet you in person” I said, winking so only Elway could see.

“Indeed, the pleasure is mine. It’s great that you and the kids could all come along” he said without a hint of anything more than a genuine greeting.

“It’s my Dad’s birthday today! Did you know that?” Jakey said jubillantly.

“Yes, son, actually I did. I’m real sorry we had to do this today, but it was the only time both teams could be here and we need the publicity. Jon, thanks man, for doing this today. I know there’s other things you’d rather be doing” Elway pretended.

“Hey, if it helps out the AFL and the teams, then I’m glad to do it” Jon lied.

“But Daddy, you said you’d rather…” Jake interjected but Jon cut him off.

“be watching a game than talking about one” Jon swept in smoothly and Elway grinned. He could imagine what Jon had really said.

“Well, c’mon then, let’s get moving and get this over with so your Dad can celebrate. Make sure you mention your birthday in the interview” Elway suggested.

Nice touch, I thought to myself. If Jon could see through this charade he’d have needed more psychic talent than either he or I possessed. We climbed into the limo and headed off to The Magnolia Hotel and I hoped that the swanky venue wouldn’t finally give us away. Elway kept Jon talking and explained that they were holding the press conference there with a welcome reception for the press and Jon never batted an eye. He understood that offering free food, booze and a party was the best way to schmooze and they wanted a good turn out from the media.

When we arrived, there were even a few of the players in uniform milling about in the lobby just for good measure. Jon stopped and shook hands with a few as we made our way towards the ballroom. Elway pushed open the door and he and Jon entered the room, followed by a thunderous shout of “Surprise!”

10 comments:

Bayaderra said...

WOW! So far so good! They got him there totally clueless! And Elway...good acting!
The morning breakfast in bed was very touching. Shows how well the kids adjusted to their dad's new life!
Now, bring on the party!!!!!

alicefayenjbj said...

And you stopped there????!!!! I leave tomorrow and will be puterless for a week!

Great lead in to the party.

I agree with Bay...great transitional family but it also shows little pictures have big ears!

can't wait for more.

Alice Faye

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here at work-bored-so I printed out the latest chapter of the Sauna-get all excited with the way the Chapter is going and then it just ends. What a way to leave us waiting for more. Please put the next chapter up soon. Please.

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Great way to start your birthday...breakfast in bed surrounded by the people you love and who love you...and he has no clue what is in store for him as the day progresses. Kids have done a great acting job of keeping his birthday party a secret.
Can hardly wait to read the next chapter. Want to see his reaction.
I just love a party!!!

Rike said...

*Were there dinosaurs here when you were my age?” he wanted to know.*

great line, the kids are sooo funny.

And now let's start the party. and I hope Carol will behave

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great birthday so far. love that they all have the jersey's on...very cute. C'mon lets get this party started!!!

stacey

marla said...

Hello,
I'm glad to come in your world of bonjovi's fiction.It's very exciting to read it.I'll put it on my blogroll.It's a friend of mine who talked me your blog.Sometimes it's very erotic.We've got a feeling to live the situation.Thanks to you,i dared creat a blog and i posted my erotic stories i've wrote on a notebook.It's a good blog you're created.Original.

marla said...

Hello,
I'm glad to come in your world of bonjovi's fiction.It's very exciting to read it.I'll put it on my blogroll.It's a friend of mine who talked me your blog.Sometimes it's very erotic.We've got a feeling to live the situation.Thanks to you,i dared creat a blog and i posted my erotic stories i've wrote on a notebook.It's a good blog you're created.Original.

marla said...

Hello,
I'm glad to come in your world of bonjovi's fiction.It's very exciting to read it.I'll put it on my blogroll.It's a friend of mine who talked me your blog.Sometimes it's very erotic.We've got a feeling to live the situation.Thanks to you,i dared creat a blog and i posted my erotic stories i've wrote on a notebook.It's a good blog you're created.Original.

Opester said...

Hi Marla,
Thanks for sharing your feedback and for following the story-I hope you have as much fun writing yours as I have had writing this. Feel free to post your Blog link here if you'd like and if it is also a BJ fan fiction-we readers are loyal to our boys!