Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Sauna Part 299

The look on Jon’s face was priceless and the word “surprise” barely captured his expression. He stood there, gazing out at the crowd, all adorned in the blue and white jerseys of the Soul, trying to absorb the fact that this was no press conference. Afer a moment to digest the turn of events, he immediately turned round to face me and his eyes were smiling.

“You knew?” he asked incredulously.

“Trish planned the whole thing” Elway explained before I could even answer.

I nodded and smiled, but before Jon could hug me, he was swarmed by the kids, all shouting ‘Happy Birthday’ as the rest of the guests began to move forward and offer their greetings as well. My eyes swept the room, perfectly decorated in pale blue and white with the ceiling covered by ballons in matching colors. I spotted Ron Jaworski and then Richie and Jim with Cherie at his side. She looked radiant as she glanced up at Jim with love in her eyes.

I stood there transfixed, watching as Eva and Tico and then David and Elena came forward, followed by Hugh and his wife. Hugh introduced us and she immediately hugged me and thanked me for making sure that Hugh had gotten treatment when we were in New Zealand. I found myself saying something courteous while I tried desperately to shake off the feeling of Déjà vu that had begun to. take hold. My throat went suddenly dry and the room started to spin as Tony came forward and introduced his girlfriend, a tall slender blonde.

I watched in slow motion, my feet frozen to the spot where I stood, as John Sr. made his way through the crowd, followed closely by Carol with a drink in her hand. I wanted to run or try to stop time and turn back the clock, but instead I remained frozen, helplessly watching as she approached, just like one of those people who couldn’t tear their eyes away from a hideous accident. Jon’s features changed and his eyes narrowed as he saw his Father and Mother and he stood motionless, focusing his gaze on his Dad. His Father whispered something I couldn’t hear as he reached out and hugged his son.

Carol was waiting patiently and I watched her intently as I slowly registered the fact that she wasn’t intoxicated. There was no pomp and fanfare about her appearance and she looked for all the world like a regular Mom who was anxious to greet her son. Those of us who knew what had happened stood waiting with bated breath, our eyes glued to Jon to gauge his reaction.

Jon’s mouth formed a smile, but his eyes didn’t shift as he studied her with steely resolve. He stiffly reached out his hand, his body language now suddenly formal and guarded. Carol didn’t push and accepted his hand, but I could see the tears that glittered in her eyes as she spoke.

“Happy Birthday, Jon” she said softly as she smiled a tremulous smile.

“Thank you, Mother” Jon replied coolly, his eyes never leaving her face.

Carol broke the gaze first, her heart feeling the weight of all she had wrought as she realized the emergence of Jon’s public persona. She took a deep breath and looked at the ground before raising her eyes to meet mine.

“Thank you, Trish, for allowing me this opportunity to see my son. I’m grateful to be given the chance to make amends, to both you and Jon” she said, her voice steady and clear.

She stepped forward and I found myself giving ground as I recognized the genuine remorse in her eyes and I heard the words of AA ring in my ears. She was Jon’s Mother and she was trying. She deserved a second chance. I reached out my arms and embraced her and she hugged me back with relief.

“Welcome, Carol. I’m glad to meet you” I replied softly.

She looked at me with surprise and then slowly smiled knowingly as she processed the meaning behind my words. I was giving her a chance at a new beginning by acknowledging that I’d never met the person she really was, deep down inside. Jon looked at me too with a mixture of shock and confusion as he tried to make sense of what had just happened. I felt his arm slip around me as he drew me close and the crowd fell away, allowing us a moment of privacy.

“Trish? What’s going on here? Why is she here?” he demanded, searching my face.

“Jon, I admit, I had my misgivings and I wasn’t sure until now that allowing her to attend was the right choice. I spoke to your Dad and he told me she’d changed; she hasn’t had a drink since everything happened. I know how she’s hurt you, baby, but she’s your Mother and if there is any chance that she can be the Mother you always loved, well, I thought…” I stammered, feeling quite overwhelmed now myself.

“You could have asked me…” he began.

“You’d have said ‘no’. Jon, I’m sorry if I made a mistake. I just…” I faltered, my eyes welling up with my tears.

“No, baby, s’okay. I understand why you did it, I’m just not sure how I feel. I know I’m not ready to forgive and forget, but I won’t close the door on her either, not yet” he replied thoughtfully.

He hugged me against him, holding me tight, as relief washed over me like a flood. Please, Goddess, let this be right. Let us all have a chance for a new beginning, I thought desperately.

“Now, have you got any more surprises in store for me tonight?” he asked with a grin, holding me away and tilting my head up to meet his eyes.

“Possibly, but none quite like this” I smiled as he wiped the traces of tears from my eyes.

“Then let the party commence!” he announced, loud enough for the guests nearest us to hear.

The tension around us immediately dissipated and Jon was again thronged by his friends as I felt a gentle hand on my elbow. I turned and looked into Richie’s questioning eyes.

“Is everything cool?” he asked in hushed tones.

“I think so for now. Whatever follows after this rests with Carol. Let’s hope for the best” I breathed.

“Trish, you know I had my doubts, but for what it’s worth, I think you did the right thing” he smiled, hugging me tightly.

“Let’s hope you’re right. Now tell me about Jim and Cherie!” I prodded.

“Well, I’m thinking I’m gonna be the only eligible bachelor left in the band” he smiled sadly. “Got any more friends who might be interested in a trip to the dark side?”

We were interrupted before I could answer as Jon reappeared and dragged me away to introduce some of his friends that I’d invited but had never met. He introduced me to most of the Soul, and of course Ron Jaworski, and a number of other sports figures whose names I had heard. I was glad that Richie had helped with the guest list as I realized I didn’t know many of Jon’s friends and acquaintances and his circle was huge.

I finally met Keith Urban and Nicole, who’d flown in for the event, and I was glad to see that Kevin and his wife, Kyra, had managed to attend. I really liked Kevin and I found his wife charming and every bit as down to earth as he was. Emilio Estevez was there as well and the guest list may well have served as a “Who’s Who” in rock as well as Hollywood entertainment circles.

Dot and John had taken over with Romeo and Jake, while Steph and Jesse were old enough to look after themselves. I’d hoped to meet Ava, but she had a terrible cold and Richie had felt she needed to rest, but he promised to visit us and bring her along during her Easter vacation. I noticed that John and Carol were keeping a low profile and that alone began to convince me that she’d really changed.

During dinner, there were multiple toasts, and I could have easily gotten pretty drunk if I wasn’t careful. Once we’d all finished dessert, it was time for the final surprise of the evening. I excused myself from our table and asked the hotel manager to flicker the lights in order to get everyone’s attention. The din from the crowd died down to a dull roar as I mounted the stage at the back of the ballroom and picked up the microphone.

I looked out at the sea of smiling faces, searching for Jon’s, and I nearly lost my composure when our eyes met. Even here, amidst a star-studded crowd, he still managed to take my breath away and for a brief moment it was as though we were the only people in the room. I realized that the crowd had gone silent and they were waiting for me to speak.

“I wanted to thank everyone for joining me tonight in wishing Jon a very ‘Happy Birthday’!” I began which was followed by a round of cheers and applause as I motioned to him to come join me up on the stage.

Jon got up from his seat and made his way through the ballroom as everyone continued to clap and rose from their seats. He took the stairs lightly and was soon at my side, smiling as he kissed me and waited for me to continue.

“It is my greatest pleasure to present you with a gift that reflects everyone here, as well as a number of folks who could not attend, and it’s something we felt expressed our love and admiration for all that you do” I went on, motioning for the guys from the Soul to join me on stage as they carried up a giant birthday card and held it for Jon.

“Go ahead, love, open the card!” I instructed, accompanied by more shouts and clapping.

Jon tore off the envelope and with the help of the team, opened the card which contained a gigantic check made out to the Soul Charitable Foundation. The card itself contained signatures from everyone in attendance as well as a list of those that couldn’t make it but had showed their support with their pocketbooks.

Jon was completely flabbergasted and for the first time I could remember, he seemed momentarily speechless. Several team members moved forward and held up the check as Jon turned to face his family and friends. I handed him the mic and I leaned in to kiss him.

“Happy Birthday, baby” I whispered as the applause rose even louder.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. The party was fantastic. Glad to see that Carol has sobered up. I was scared for a minute when Jon saw his mother. Trish took a big gamble asking her to the party, but I am glad she did.

The check to the Soul Foundation was a great surprise for Jon-great idea.

As always-look forward to more from Jon and Trish.

Bonnie

Rike said...

what a great party. And it was good Trish invited Carol.

Ok, now I'm looking forward for chapter 300!!!!

Bayaderra said...

Great party!
Glad to see that Carol finaly sobered up and came to her sences!
Poor Richie is feeling left out with all of the couples around him...

Anonymous said...

It was very nice that Carol could behave herself for the day, i think we have Mr. B to thank for that. I cant imagine that Carol has turned over a new leaf all together though (that would be to easy)

Opester, i dont know how you do it. Your attention to details when you write is amazing. You never leave a stone unturned.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT party! I'm having a WONDERFUL time!
Nice to see Carol sober and Trish giving her a second chance. Jon will come around.
A trip to the dark side, now that might be fun.

Cindy aka Miss Moose said...

Ok this was a great chapter. Had me in tears. Just to let you know, I would gladly take that trip to the wild dark side. Just sayin!! So if Trish has a friend called Cindy it would be OK with me. LOL. Now on with #300.