Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Sauna Part 300

“I’m so overwhelmed, I don’t know what to say except thank you” Jon began. “The generosity of everyone here…I couldn’t imagine a finer gift. There’s nothing that could make me happier than I am at this moment. Thank you, thank you, thank you” he said, his voice choking.

I took the mic from his hand as he turned to study the signatures on the card, shaking his head. The total I’d received from all of Jon’s friends and family had been quite a shock to me too, but then again, his friends had deep pockets. Elton alone had contributed five hundred thousand dollars and he wasn’t even here to receive Jon’s gratitude.

“Thank you again to everyone who helped make today such a memorable event and I especially want to thank Eva Herzigova, Richie Sambora and John Elway. Without your exceptional support and assistance, none of this would have ever become a reality” I added. “Please, everyone, enjoy the evening!” I finished.

Jon was still studying the card and reading each and every signature it contained. I moved to his side and he drew me close as he tried to compose himself.

“You have some remarkable friends” I commented softly.

“I do indeed. And a remarkable wife. Trish, how can I thank you?” he asked, turning into look in my eyes.

“Be happy, Jon. That’s all that really matters to me” I said honestly as I hugged him again.

The remainder of the evening was filled with Jon making the rounds and thanking each and every single guest. Richie and Jim gathered the guys and the stage was transformed as guitars and drums began to materialize. They sang an impromptu ‘Happy Birthday’ accompanied by all those in attendance and various musicians in the crowd joined in and took turns, jamming the night away.

Steph had a ball as she danced her way through the crowd, never once lacking an enthusiastic partner. My eyes became misty as I caught sight of Carol and John Sr., renewing their love as they danced cheek to cheek. I was dancing myself, enjoying Richie’s company, when Jon finally cut in after he thanked Richie for all he had done to help me pull off this party.

“No problem, bro’, you know I love ya more than any brother I could have had. But I gotta say, it was Trish who deserves all the credit. You’re one lucky bastard, lemme tell you” Richie replied humbly.

“Believe me, man, I know it, but I’m also blessed doubly to have you as my brother” Jon said sincerely as Richie released me into Jon’s waiting arms.

“Richie’s being overly modest, you know. He and Eva and John Elway did more than they’ll admit. I couldn’t have done this without all of them. Actually it was Eva who came up with the charity piece” I explained.

“It seems Richie isn’t the only one who has trouble taking credit” Jon teased. “Thank you, baby, for all that you did” he said, placing his finger over my lips to quell my objections.

“You’re welcome” I smiled. “Hey, did you see your Mom and Dad dancing earlier? They really looked happy for the first time I’ve seen” I prodded.

“You know, that’s how they first met-at a military ball, I mean” Jon replied, thinking back. “I hope for my Dad’s sake that Mom’s really changed” he said softly.

“And what about for your own, Jon? If he can still love her, perhaps you can too?” I prompted again.

“I’ll always love her, Trish. We’ll see if I can forgive her…or ever trust her again” he answered and I knew not to push any further.

The party lasted well into the wee hours and Jake and Romeo were well beyond shot when Dot and John offered at midnight to take them home for the evening. We readily accepted and agreed we’d see them all in the morning as I’d reserved a hotel room for me and Jon and one for the kids. Dot would take Romeo home with them, but we’d have Steph, Jesse and Jake for tomorrow and we’d get them on the plane the following day.

Most everyone had taken their leave by two o’clock, but the core group had remained. I finally had a chance to sit down with Cherie and ask her the questions that were uppermost in my mind. I was very pleased with her answers.

“I know I put Jim through the ringer, but I’m so glad he held on and didn’t let go. It took me a while to work through some things and I really just needed to get Dave out of my system. It wasn’t until I finally realized that it wasn’t my fault that the marriage failed that I could accept what Jim was offering me. I really love him, Trish, but I just didn’t feel like I deserved for him to love me” she explained.

“And now?” I asked, holding my breath.

“I don’t hate myself anymore and I think that I’m ready to let myself love…and be loved” she said, her eyes shining.

I was happy for her and very happy for Jim. They both had had difficult relationships and they’d been wounded and I hoped that they would be able to heal one another. They deserved to be happy and I was thrilled to think that they might find that with each other.

“I’m so happy for you both” I beamed, hugging her close.

“Thanks, Trish. I never thought I would ever feel like I do now” she whispered.

Jim came to collect Cherie and put his hand on her shoulder and she stood up to say goodnight to Jon and the rest of the band. They were staying overnight too at the hotel and then taking the train back to New York in the morning. Cherie was closing her practice in the following weeks and she and Jim planned to relocate to California and begin a new life. Cherie felt safer as far away from Dave and all the memories with him as she could be, and Jim had grown to like California and he and Richie had become pretty close. He had enough material now for the book and he just needed time to sit down and write it while Cherie established herself once again.

We all said goodnight and Jon thanked everyone again for making his birthday the most special one he could remember. We were both tired and emotionally drained as we dragged a still lively Stephanie and a very sleepy Jesse along to their rooms.

“So, Dad, did you ever suspect?” Stephie needed to know.

“Never, not once” Jon reassured her.

“Steph was the go-between for all the family, you know. They all were instructed to check in with her so you wouldn’t get suspicious about all the phone calls” I explained.

“Well, you two masterminds made a good pair. You certainly had me totally snowed” he said as he kissed her goodnight.

We opened the door to their room next to ours, and Stephie hugged her Dad tight. Jesse was yawning as they both said a final ‘Happy Birthday’ to Jon and we closed the door and headed for our own room.

“Tell me the truth-were you really surprised? You never once suspected?” I just had to ask, sounding almost as bad as Stephanie now myself and Jon chuckled as he opened our door.

“I thought maybe you might have had something planned after the “press conference” as you never mentioned any ideas about what we could do in Denver. But this? Never in a million years, babe. You never cease to amaze me, but now it’s my turn” he grinned, scooping me up in his arms and jumping onto the bed.

Despite being forty-four, Jon never ceased to amaze me either.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really loved the chapter-glad Jon was totally surprised. When I read your chapters, I really feel like I am there with them during each scene. YOu are a wonderful writer.

Bonnie

Opester said...

Bonnie, thank you so much! I'm glad you were able to get here! Is anyone else getting error messages when trying to access the Blog? Is anyone else able to even view this anymore? Please leave a comment if you managed to get here and were able to read anything so that I know if people can even partially access the Blog. All the previous post links are gone and I can't seem to see anything on the side except the followers piece which may actually be the issue from what I've read on the Blogger help site. I may need to remove that gadget if Blogger doesn't resolve this.

Bayaderra said...

Ahhh, what a way to wake up: a fresh cup of coffee and a new chapter! Thank you Opester!
Nice way to end a party. Very happy to see Cherrie and Jim finally together! And the fact that Carol seems to be on the road to recovery...maybe Jon will be able to forget and forgive soon.
More Please!

Queenie said...

I've finally managed to find the time to catch up and boy, did I miss a lot!

The "flying" was amazing, the time Trish and Eva spent together in Colorado was fun and the birthday party was just amazing. I was glad to see Carol is changing her ways. I hope Jon and she can find some common ground and maybe they can have some semblance of a relationship again.

Great job Opester!

Anonymous said...

Jon has some very generous friends.
So glad that Cherie came to her senses about Jim. And Carol and John Sr make such a cute couple.
Great party Opester!

Anonymous said...

Glad your blog is running smooth again and congrats on the big 300!
What an accomplishment. Cant wait to see where you go from here. I enjoyed being a part of Jons birthday celebration since i'll never be at his real one...lol

Stacey