Friday, August 15, 2008

The Sauna Part 231

We woke to glorious sunshine the next morning and decided to skip our usual breakfast ritual as we were still quite stuffed from yesterday’s meal. Jon ordered coffee from room service while I sat down at the laptop and tried to finish the contracts I hadn’t completed before leaving Colorado. Jon went for a run to work off the extra calories and I appreciated the chance to concentrate on the work I’d put off.

I was ready for a diversion by the time he returned and he needed a shower, so our timing was perfect as we turned on the water to bathe. It was our last day in Scotland and we’d be leaving tomorrow for Amsterdam.

“Do you think we could rent a car and take a drive through the countryside? I’d love to get out of the city and just see the land” I said wistfully as Jon soaped up my back and I stretched, enjoying the feel of his hands on my skin.

“Sounds like a plan, babe, but I’m thinking a limo might be a better idea” he said suggestively as his hands slid around to my breasts. “We wouldn’t want to get lost” he murmured into my ear.

“And it would leave your hands free for other purposes” I smiled, considering the possibilities.

“You’re reading my mind” he chuckled.

We finished our shower and dressed casually in our loosest clothes as we both still felt a bit bloated. Jon called Richie to explain we were planning a romantic day in the country and he immediately understood the implications.

“Lucky bastard” Richie teased.

“You know it, bro” Jon said with a smirk and we were off on our way.

The limo arrived within the hour and we informed the driver that we wanted to see the Scottish highlands and lochs and he immediately suggested Loch Lomond and the surrounding area. It wasn’t that far from Glasgow and it was a popular area with tourists as it hosted much of the filming for ‘Rob Roy’. My eyes lit right up when he said that as it had been one of my favorite movies and my mind immediately conjured up scenes from that and ‘Braveheart’, another one of my favorites. Our driver-turned-tour-guide grinned as he went on to explain that we would also be able to stop in and tour Stirling Castle and we both nodded enthusiastically.

The drive to Balloch took only about thirty minutes and we arrived on the southern shore of Loch Lomond. It had rained earlier in the morning, but the now brilliant sunshine had created a rainbow which greeted us as we approached. We drove eastward around the Loch, heading toward Stirling and the scenery was awe-inspiring to say the least. There was something about this area of Scotland that brought to mind images of fairies and water sprites and my imagination seemed to kick into high gear. Neither Jon nor I seemed the least bit concerned with our erotic agenda as we found ourselves captivated by everything that we saw.

We passed by the castle and proceeded to move upward along the eastern coast to Ben Lomond and the weather was mild enough to get out and walk. I was glad we’d worn comfortable clothing and shoes as the terrain was a bit rocky in spots, but the climb to the summit was well worth the effort. Looking down on the expanse of the Loch, Jon slipped his hand into mine and took a deep breath.

“I am so glad we decided to do this today. I can surely appreciate why this place was immortalized in song” he said quietly and began softly singing the verse of an old song that I recognized.

‘Oh, ye’ll tak’ the high road, and I’ll tak’ the low road,
And I’ll be in Scotland afore ye;
But me and my true love will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomond.’

“Such a sad song, though. Let’s hope it’s not true, Jon. Perhaps we can come back some day when we have more time to spend here?” I asked with a twinkle in my eye.

“Count on it, baby. This place just speaks to my soul” he purred, squeezing me in his arms.

I filled up a memory card with pictures I took of everything that we saw and I found myself feeling forever grateful to Jon for exposing me to one of the most breathtaking places I had ever seen. He and I were like kindred spirits in the way that we appreciated the beauty of nature; our passion for the land was borne from a lifetime of living and loving with the gifts that the God and Goddess had bestowed upon us.

“We should probably head back to the castle if you folks still want to see the inside before they shut down for the day” our driver informed us, clearing his throat.

We reluctantly left Ben Lomond and returned to Stirling Castle just in time to catch the last tour of the day. Our time in Scotland was far briefer than either of us would have liked, but we knew that someday we’d have an opportunity to spend greater time here. Stirling Castle was the seat of numerous battles, lying strategically near the lowest crossing point of the river Forth, and was a critical factor in enabling the victor to control central Scotland. The three battles between William Wallace, Edward I and Robert the Bruce which were so eloquently recreated in the movie ‘Braveheart’ were fought over Stirling Castle.

I bought several books on the history of the castle and the surrounding area with a bevvy of fabulous photographs that were far superior to any that I could have taken. The romance of legends was highly appealing to both Jon and I and there was even a theory that Camelot was in part based on the castle.

We had missed lunch again in our quest for adventure and Jon’s stomach growled loudly as we climbed back into the limo. Food was definitely in our future and the next stop on Jon’s agenda. Our driver suggested The Harviestoun Country Hotel & Restaurant and we readily agreed, anxious to slake our appetites as quickly as possible. The fact that they were well known for their wines didn’t hurt the decision either.

We ordered the breaded brie wedges with cranberry sauce to begin while we perused the extensive menu for other masterpieces of authentic Scottish cuisine. Jon favored the grilled sea bass as he wanted to stick with something a bit lighter. I vascillated between several tempting items and finally decided on the chicken stuffed with smoked applewood cheese for my entrée after Jon ordered the smoked duck and fennel with orange salad to share simply to speed my selection and end the debate.

Jon treated our driver as well, though he declined to join us for dinner and took a seat at the bar instead. We chose a red wine that sounded enticing and it complimented our meal very well. We had placated our hunger quite admirably when the waitress began to recite the desserts. We both agreed to split a sticky toffee pudding as we wanted to avoid the discomfort of being overfull after yesterday’s over-indulgence. I was beginning to fancy Irish coffee now that I’d gotten over my withdrawal from Tim Horton’s.

It was dark when we reached the hotel and Richie wasn’t around and had apparently joined Tico and the guys for some dinner and late night carousing. We had the evening all to ourselves and the hotel had a sauna with our name on it. We changed into our robes and grabbed some fresh towels and headed down to rekindle fond memories.

The hotel sauna was large and spacious and there were a few other guests enjoying the facility with us. We made small talk with another couple who appeared to be about the same age as us and learned they were here along with their kids on a holiday. The older daughter was watching the little ones while mom and dad took a break by themselves and Jon and her husband exchanged stories about the trials and tribulations of having a teenage daughter.

The lack of privacy curtailed our plans for romance, but the sauna felt good and it was pleasant to spend time with another couple without the chaos and drama that seemed to follow us lately. Sharon and Kyle were a refreshing breath of normalcy in an otherwise exceptional life and we joked about marriage and kids and even pets with the easy understanding that comes with shared life experiences. It was nice to feel just like normal folk for a change.

We returned to our room, sweaty and in need of a shower and an opportunity to fulfill the desires that had been simmering all day. Our passion for each other had taken a back seat to the Scottish countryside and our hope for an interlude in the sauna had been sidelined as well. Now we were alone and we were anxious to make good on our lustier intentions.

“Shower?” Jon asked with a glint in his eye.

“I’ll race you there” I laughed as we made a beeline for our destination.

2 comments:

Sunstreaked said...

What a completely lovely and NORMAL day for those two! Oh man, just to see the Scotish countryside and the areas where they filmed those gorgeous movies! Thanks for taking me there again.

Glad Richie is with the other guys and not brooding. Hoping he stays with his friends!

Queenie said...

Nice chapter Opester. What a lovely day!