Monday, August 25, 2008

The Sauna Part 235

Morning came incredibly early and despite how tired I’d been, I’d slept rather restlessly. I was worried about Cherie, and for that matter, Jim. There was no telling what Dave would do once he discovered that Cherie had hooked up with him.

The sunlight was streaming in through the window and I slipped out of bed, careful not to disturb Jon who was still sound asleep. I called down to the desk and ordered some coffee, but I was too tense to be in the mood for any breakfast. It was just barely eight in the morning where we were, but it was mid-afternoon in Colorado and I didn’t want to wait any longer. I looked over at Jon and thanked the God and the Goddess for my incredibly good fortune in being blessed with the love of my life.

I walked to the bathroom and splashed water onto my face and looked in the mirror. I noticed small, tiny lines near my eyes and the new strands of gray in my hair. I had circles under my eyes and I realized I looked a bit haggard. I’d be forty-five in a couple of days and I looked it, I thought to myself. Jon still appeared ageless to me, but I was feeling my years and it showed. My muscles were sore and I’d gained a few pounds. Why couldn’t women age gracefully in the same way that men did?

I turned on the shower and took a deep breath. The hot water felt good and it always revived me, but I was still moving slowly when I felt Jon’s arms slip around me. I leaned back against him and closed my eyes. My well-seasoned body still held his attention as he slid his hands over my breasts and my nipples stiffened in answer to his touch.

“Couldn’t sleep, babe?” he whispered softly into my ear.

“No, I wanted to call Cherie before it gets any later” I replied, turning to face him.

“How about a little distraction first?” Jon purred.

I smiled as he kissed me and I melted against him. He always seemed to know just what I needed and when I needed it. I closed my eyes and sighed as I thought about how lucky I was. I felt the lightest of touches as Jon’s lips brushed my eyelids and his hands ran through my wet hair, pulling it back off my shoulders. I felt my concerns melt away as I dissolved in his caress and he murmured my name.

Our lovemaking was tender yet passionate as we moved into a familiar ritual and I took comfort in the ordinary intimacy that had become such a constant source of fulfillment these days. Jon loved me so well and in so many ways; sometimes he was gentle and sweet, other times ardent and intense, but always profound. Our coupling seemed to reflect our most urgent need at the time and I always drew strength from our oneness.

We stepped out of the shower and I toweled off, a smile still lingering on my lips as I watched while he shaved. The coffee was waiting outside the door and I poured my first cup, swallowing deeply as I dialed our number in Colorado. Jim answered on the fourth ring.

“Hey Trish, what’s up? It’s snowing to beat the band here, what’s it like over there?” he said pleasantly into the phone.

“The sun’s shining and it looks warmer than it is” I smiled, looking out the window as Jon sat down next to me on the bed.

“Everyone’s doing good. Wanna say hello to Eddie? He’s right here on my lap” Jim teased as he placed the phone down and I heard the steady sound of a contented cat purring loudly into the receiver.

“Hi Eddie! Mommy misses you, baby” I cooed and Jim laughed as he brought the phone back to his ear.

“I’m guessing you didn’t call to talk with the cats? What’s up?” he repeated.

“I’ve got some disturbing news” I began.

“Are you okay? Is everything alright with Jon?” he asked, his voice tinged with concern.

“We’re fine, it’s you two I’m worried about. Dave called me last night” I announced.

“Shit. I figured that would happen eventually” he replied through gritted teeth.

I relayed the essence of the phone call with Dave and expressed my concerns and Jim understood. He knew Dave wouldn’t sit back and wait for Cherie to come straggling back home and he’d wondered how long it would be before he began searching for her himself. He wasn’t sure where it was going between the two of them, but he knew he was in a precarious position.

“I’ll let you talk to Cherie” he agreed as he handed her the phone.

“What’s happened?” she asked anxiously.

“It’s Dave” I began again before launching into a repeat of what I’d told Jim. “Cherie, have you decided what you’re going to do?” I wanted to know.

“I don’t really want to go back to Dave, but I can’t just leave it like this. I know I need to go home and get back to work and my vacation time is nearly used up, I’ve just been putting it off” she explained.

“What about Jim?” I pushed.

“I don’t know, but he can’t come with me right now anyway and that’s probably for the best. I know I need to face Dave and see what’s left of our marriage but I’m afraid” she said, her voice suddenly breaking.

“Cher, it’s okay. We’ll get you a bodyguard” I offered hurriedly.

“Oh God, Trish! Do you think it’s that bad?” she stammered.

“I don’t know for sure, but I wouldn’t take any chances” I advised.

“I know he’ll be hurt and I’m just afraid that he won’t want to listen. I’m afraid he’ll talk me into giving him another chance, that’s what I meant. I don’t think he’ll get violent, though. You should hear all the messages he’s been leaving. Oh Trish, he really sounds sorry and he’s worried about me” she elaborated.

I rolled my eyes as I looked over at Jon who was listening. I didn’t expect it, but he grabbed the phone and interrupted.

“Cherie, listen to me. I’m a guy, okay? I know guys and he isn’t sorry. He was still making excuses when he was talking to Trish just last night and he’s angry now too. Don’t be naïve. We’ll get both you and Jim some protection, alright?” he insisted.

“Jon, you don’t know him that well. He really loves me and he’s going to be so upset. He wants us to work it all out. Maybe I’m being selfish. He made a mistake. Everyone’s entitled to a second chance, right?” she pleaded, hoping he’d understand.

“Cherie, listen to Trish, okay? Please?” he hissed through his teeth as he handed the phone to me. He didn’t know what else to say.

“Cherie, I love you and I’m scared for you. I know it’s hard to accept that Dave isn’t the person you thought he was, but he isn’t and you are in danger. You didn’t hear him last night and I know you want to believe that he means what he says, but please let us get you some security. Cherie, I’m scared for you” I said again, emphasizing the point.

“Just let me talk to him, Trish. He’s not like those guys that you’ve worked with. He isn’t a batterer, he was never violent before this incident. This was the first time and he’s sorry. He knows he was wrong. I don’t want to go back, but he’s my husband…” she sobbed.

“There’s always a first time. Don’t you remember how it started with Don?” I reminded her, hoping the memory of her first marriage might lessen her denial and squelch the ambivalence I heard in her voice.

“But Don was different. He was an alcoholic” she said, making excuses.

“But he apologized too and he swore up and down he’d never hurt you and remember what happened?” I kept pushing.

“It’s not the same. I need to call Dave and hear what he says. I haven’t been returning his calls and he hasn’t had a chance to even explain. I owe him that much. Please, Trish, let me handle this my own way” she said finally.

Her words jogged me back to my clinical training and I bit my tongue. She needed our support, but I’d do more damage than good if I kept contradicting her. She was determined to hold onto her denial and I knew I’d undermine her confidence if I kept insisting that she see it differently. If she called Dave, she’d either see his attitude change just as I had or she’d get sucked into believing his bullshit and agree to give him another chance. But it wasn’t my decision and I needed to honor her request despite the opinion I held.

“Okay Cher, okay. But I’m here if you need me and we’re more than willing to hire someone to make sure you’re safe. Just say the word” I relented.

“Thanks, Trish. It means a lot, but I don’t think it’ll be necessary. I don’t really want to go back, but he is still my husband and I need to hear what he has to say. I don’t know what I’m gonna do right now, but I know I need to talk to him first” she said resolutely.

Jon shook his head and began pacing while I said goodbye to her and spoke again briefly with Jim. I encouraged him to be careful and I let him know there was danger, but beyond that I felt stymied. Jon was clearly frustrated too and he grumbled as soon as I’d hung up the phone.

“She just doesn’t get it, does she? I just don’t understand…” he lamented.

“I know, I know” I agreed as I stepped into his arms. “I just wish I was there. It’s so hard to try and do this over the phone” I complained.

7 comments:

alicefayenjbj said...

Holy Shit! Oops sorry didn't mean to start out that way but someone needs hre eyes opened really fast!

I don't want to see her hurt, but I can almost see it coming if I close my eyes!

I am so hooked into the story now! It's like the 70's and we all rushed home to watch Dark Shadows...now I rush to the computer after work to read Opesters World....like samds through the hour glass so are the days of our lives....

Alice Faye

Opester said...

Aaah, Alice, you make my day! I was beginning to think no one was even there anymore!

Anonymous said...

First off, I have to say that I can relate with Trish and the 'tiny lines near my eyes and the new strands of gray in my hair'. There are times that you look in a mirror and you don't recognize the person that is looking back at you. When Jon joins her in the shower and shows her how desireable she is, it's a beautiful thing.
Secondly, I'd love to shake some sense into Cherie but, of course, when one is abused, one tends to think that it's there fault and not the other person's. Always think that the person will change...they're sorry for what they've done; I'll give him one more chance...reads like a text book. I hate to think what's going to happen next. I'm kinda hoping that she'll come to her senses and stay with Jim. I like them together. Except that Cherie is adamant about talking to Dave... and Trish is on the other side of the world.

Opester said...

Thanks, babe! I'm glad folks fin things here that strike a chord in their lives and I admit that DV is something I'm pretty passionate about too!

Anonymous said...

So this chapter was really cool. I know it looks like I keep posting the same stuff but I just want you know that I am reading your story and that I enjoy reading the chapters. Plus when I see a chapter I like I want to tell you that.

Sheena

Opester said...

No problem, Sheena! I know it's really hard sometimes to know what to say, but I really appreciate just hearing from folks who are reading as it lets me know people are still interested. It's great when people leave their names too as it gives me an idea of how many people are still interested enough to comment after so many chapters! I know this has to be the longest fan fic ever written...I think other writers create more stories to express themselves, but for me, it just all seems to come out in one place ...here! It's such a great feeling to know that parts of the story appeal to different folks and I try really hard to make sure there's something here for everyone. Thanks for letting me know it's still worth the effort! I appreciate every comment anyone leaves!

Ana said...

I'm here too, almost a year after you wrote this chapter.
I'm enjoying the story very much.
And it's good for me that there there are the chapters I haven't read and that I can read them whenever I want without having to wait.

Now I'm having a bad feeling about Cherie. Let's see what happens.