Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Sauna Part 246

We’d lost a little time with the crowd and the press, but we were still pretty close to being on schedule as we drove to the venue. The limo suddenly screeched to a halt and we all felt the impact as we slammed into something solid. I heard the noise as the windshield shattered and I slid off my seat and right into Tico’s lap. Our heads collided and I fell backward before he could catch me and I landed on my ass on the floor.

Jon’s shoulder hit the side of the limo when the collision occurred, but aside from a few bumps and scrapes, no one was seriously hurt. Tico leaned down to help me up off the floor and I felt Jon’s hands slide under my arms as he pulled me back up and into my seat. David and Richie both spilled their drinks and it appeared like they’d wet their pants. The driver, who was wearing a seat belt, wasn’t injured either and he slid open the window to check on his passengers.

“I think we’re alright. What the hell happened?” Jon replied as he inspected my face and I rubbed my tailbone. “Are you okay, babe?” Jon asked as he looked for any signs of obvious damage.

“I’m a bit stunned, Teek’s head is hard” I laughed, but the truth was that my head really hurt.

“I’m sorry Mr. Bongiovi, but there’s a really bad accident up ahead and we’re stuck in a pile up. We rear ended the car in front of us and someone hit us from behind” the driver explained.

I was feeling a bit dizzy and I leaned against Jon for support and he looked at me again and noticed a trickle of blood by my nose.

“Jesus, Trish, you’re bleeding! Call an ambulance!” Jon yelled in a panic.

I wiped at the blood from my nose and shook my head, but that made me whoozy, so I put my head back and pinched my nostrils together.

“Get me a kleenex. It’s just a bloody nose; I’ll be fine” I insisted.

Jon held my head back and Richie dabbed at my nose with a kleenex.

“The ambulance is on it’s way, sir” our driver assured us.

“Stop all your fussing! I’m fine!” I said irritably as I hated a scene.

I felt more embarrassed than anything and I was determined not to seem like some wimpy female as I slapped Richie’s hand away and he and Jon exchanged looks. I tried again to sit up but I was still feeling whoozy and suddenly hot.

“Open a window! It’s freakin’ hot in here” I demanded as I started perspiring.

“Jon, she’s in shock. She might have broken her nose” Hugh said calmly. “Get her feet up and put her head in your lap until the ambulance gets here” he advised wisely.

I was starting to shiver and I knew he was right. I was pissed off and scared all at the same time, but I no longer argued as they laid me out on the seat with my legs across Richie and my head in Jon’s lap. I felt pretty nauseous and I prayed to the Goddess that I wouldn’t throw up. Dave took off his jacket and laid it across me and Jon whispered softly into my ear.

“It’ll be okay, babe. The ambulance will be here in just a few minutes” he said soothingly.

“We’ll be late for the show” I complained.

“Fuck the show” Richie hissed through his teeth.

Richie was pale as a ghost and he was clenching his fists as he fought back the memories of seeing Elaine lying in the street in a pool of blood. Not again! Fuck! Not again! He thought to himself as the images came flooding back.

“Hey man, are you okay?” Tico asked, noticing his pallor.

“Yeah, man, I’ll be fine as soon as we know Trish is okay” he replied, biting back the bile in his throat.

I felt Richie reach for my hand and I squeezed it in mine, but I was trying to steady my breathing and concentrate on remaining calm. The bleeding had stopped and I wiped my nose with the kleenex and asked for some ice. David and Tico both grabbed for the bucket and they managed to use Tico’s shirt to fashion an ice pak.

“See the extremes I’ll go to just to see a little more skin” I kidded, trying to lighten the mood as they all looked so serious.

“Querida, next time just ask” Tico smiled gently as I heard the ambulance arrive.

Hugh got out of the car to talk to the paramedics and tell them what happened. They’d be over as soon as they could, but the car that originally caused the accident had far greater needs as there were several passengers who were unconscious. He returned to the limo and explained the situation and Jon lost his temper.

“What the fuck? There’s only one ambulance? She needs attention-NOW!” he demanded.

“Babe, please calm yourself down. I’ll be fine. I’m already feeling better and if I did break my nose there’s nothing they need to do at the moment. Hell, I’m sure Richie’s fist was a bit harder than Tico’s head” I smiled.

“Don’t bet on that” Dave snickered, laughing now too. “You’ve never seen just how stubborn he is.”

Everyone started to relax a bit at that remark, except Jon and Richie who kept looking tense. When the paramedics arrived, they assessed the situation and they both confirmed that we’d done all the right things and they reassured Jon that another ambulance was on the way. Within twenty minutes we were all at the hospital and I was on my way down to x-ray.

“I’m gonna cancel the show” Jon said out loud as he paced back and forth.

“I’ll take care of it, boss” Rick agreed.

Hugh had called him as soon as he’d gotten out of the car and told him to delay until he knew what Jon wanted to do, but Rick wasn’t surprised. He’d anticipated as much and he pulled out his cell phone to make the call.

“Jon, just wait and see. It might not be as bad as you think and there’s not much you can do at the moment” Hugh advised, again sounding like the voice of reason.

“Yeah, Jon, hold up for a bit. I wouldn’t wanna risk pissing Trish off” Tico chuckled.

Jon looked at Richie who only shrugged in response as he was somewhat lost in his own thoughts and didn’t care particularly one way or the other. Dave volunteered to go check at the front desk and see what was happening and Rick turned to Jon.

“It’s up to you, boss. It’s your call. The opening band is just going on stage and they can play longer if needed. We’ve still got some time” he encouraged.

Jon nodded and Dave went to check with the nurse while they all waited quietly. Jon resumed pacing while Tico went to find coffee and Hugh kept an eye on Richie. David returned shortly and announced that we’d know shortly as they were bringing me back from x-ray.

“Why are you grinning like an idiot, you asshole?” Jon asked him irritably.

“I got a date with the nurse for later tonight. Damn, she’s a hottie” he replied with a wink.

Jon rolled his eyes, but he did have to smile. It was just like Dave to turn something like this into an opportunity to get laid. He jumped when the nurse called his name and asked him to follow her back to the exam room.

“Is she okay? Tell me what’s going on!” he said anxiously.

“I’ll let her tell you herself” she smiled as she led him into the room.

“Trish! Is it broken? Tell me the truth!” he rushed to my side.

“No, fortunately it’s only a hairline fracture and it’ll heal on it’s own. And better yet, I can go home! Let’s get to the show before it gets any later!” I prompted him.

His face lit up with a smile and his features relaxed, but he hesitated as he turned to the nurse.

“Are you sure? Is she telling the truth?” He asked softly, just to be certain.

“Jon! Dammit, will you trust me? Let’s go!” I insisted.

“She should be fine. She should go home and rest for tonight and we gave her some pain meds, so she’ll be pretty comfortable. There’ll be a bit of bruising, but the ice helped a lot and she should keep putting it on as often as she can to keep it from swelling, but she’s telling the truth. We’re releasing her” she said as she patted his arm.

Jon was grinning as I scowled at him for making such a fuss, but he wheeled me off to share the good news with the guys. He absolutely forbid me to come to the show and he was sending me back to the hotel with Rick to make sure that I followed the nurse’s instructions. I didn’t dare argue and I was just glad that they hadn’t overreacted and cancelled the show.

Richie rose up and kissed me, albeit gently, and he looked almost as relieved as Jon had looked only a moment ago. I noticed Dave wink at the nurse as I signed all the discharge papers and I nudged Jon as he wheeled me out to the cab.

“Dave got a date” he whispered and we both laughed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Jon rolled his eyes, but he did have to smile. It was just like Dave to turn something like this into an opportunity to get laid."


he he, that was funny!!

Linda

alicefayenjbj said...

Too cute! I actually laughed which made me feel 99.9% better!

I check on this every day for undates and you never fail me! I do understand that the weekends the operster is off and enjoying the time and will resume posting on Monday. Good thing I will be able to check tomorrow before my oral surgery for updates.

AF

Sunstreaked said...

Okay, where to start? Worry about the accident and Richie having that flashback (something tells me he still needs to deal with all that), Jon freaking (cool-as-a-cucumber Jon?), Tico's wisecrack about just asking to see more skin, and Dave - oh Dave - getting a date!

Loved this chapter, just loved it!

Ana said...

I loved this chapter too!!
I loved how Jon was worried about Trish. That shows all the love he feels for her.
I have to say that at first I was worried too, but glad that finally it was nothing serious.
The rest of the boys were great too.