Monday, September 22, 2008

The Sauna Part 258

We touched down in Durango just before eight and I was glad to feel the ground when I stepped off the plane. I’d never spent quite this much time in the air and it was getting old pretty quick, especially commercial flights after being spoiled on Jon’s plane. I was stiff and not just a bit sore when I walked through the gate and saw Jim waiting with a luggage rack.

“Aaahhh, you remembered all the suitcases?” I smirked.

“Hell, yeah. I don’t have Jon to help lug them back to the car” he grinned as he kissed me hello.

“Are you anxious to see the kids?” he teased as we waited for my bags and I nodded vigorously.

“Is everybody okay? Have they forgotten all about me by now?” I asked, half in jest.

“Everyone’s fine and I think they’ll be glad to see their mom. Floyd still hates me, you know. He’s the only one who won’t sleep with me” Jim complained.

“Don’t feel too bad, he hates Jon too” I laughed.

We arrived at the house at about half past nine and I knew it was just after two in Portugal. I hated to call Jon so early and I decided to wait until just before bed as at least he’d get a little sleep before I woke him up. The cats were all waiting right by the door when we walked in and I remembered it was snack time and I wanted to feed them myself.

Opie screamed loudly and Eddie rubbed against me and I took it as quite a compliment that he was more focused on being petted than on eating his snack. Floyd was a bit huffy and gave me an “oh, so you’re back?” kind of look before sauntering off to the food bowl for his evening treats. Zeke was excited and rolled on the floor and I gave him a belly rub with one hand while I petted Eddie with the other and Jim laughed at the circus before us.

“Goddess, I’m starving! Is there anything quick to eat?” I asked after greeting my babies.

“I still make a mean grilled cheese sandwich” Jim offered and I gratefully accepted.

Zeke was more excited than I’d ever seen him and he was drooling away as he climbed on my lap. Eddie was nudging me and I had my hands rather full when Zeke shook his head and sprayed Eddie and me with a good dose of slobber and I fell apart laughing. Damn, it was good to be home!

Jim and I sat and talked while I ate my grilled cheese and he told me he’d made a decision about Jon’s offer. I looked at him expectantly and he smiled.

“If I go back to Buffalo, I’m just gonna pressure Cherie and she doesn’t need another asshole demanding something from her right now. If I stay here, I’ll just be moping and since you’ve got a substitute babysitter already…” he started.

“So you’re coming!” I squealed happily and he flashed me a grin.

“Yeah, I always wanted to see how the other half lives and maybe I can take some of the groupies off of Jon’s hands” he winked salaciously.

“I think Richie could use your help with that too” I giggled as I told him about his harrowing escape from the bathroom.

“Hey, you know me-I’m always ready to lend a hand wherever I’m needed” he offered very graciously.

“I’ll be sure to tell Richie…and Jon” I laughed.

The long flights and all the excitement and drama had pretty much done me in and I was pooped. I longed for my bed and cuddle time with my boys, so I thanked Jim again for picking me up and feeding me and taking such good care of the cats. We said goodnight and I made my way up to my bed, but I had to admit that it looked rather lonely.

I stripped off my clothes and climbed in with my cell phone and soon discovered I wouldn’t be alone after all. Eddie was marching on top of the covers and purring to beat the band while Zeke had nestled down by my feet. Floyd had apparently gotten over his pique and was now standing on top of my chest and demanding his share of attention. I patted his head and ran my hand over his silky fur and he trotted off to snuggle in between my legs. It was close to four am in Lisbon when I finally called and woke Jon and it took a few rings before he answered.

“Hi baby, it’s me” I purred into the receiver.

“Trish? Trish, shit, did you just get in? What time is it? Is everything okay?” he sputtered, trying to orient himself in the middle of the night.

“Everything’s great love. I just wanted to wait until I was actually home and got settled before I called” I explained.

“All the kids are okay? I bet they’re glad to see you and even happier that you’re not with me” he chuckled sleepily.

“They seem pretty content. They’re all here except Opie. I’m guessing he’s sleeping with the food master” I laughed. “By the way, I thought you should know, Floyd still hates Jim even after all these years, so don’t take it personal, okay?”

“Yeah, but what about Zeke? I’ll just bet he likes Jim” Jon snickered, shaking his head.

“Apparently not quite as much as Richie, though. He’s here with me” I replied, patting the drool king as he stretched out and yawned.

“So did you tell Jim about my idea?” Jon yawned too.

“Yep, I couldn’t wait until I saw him so I called from the airport and he told me tonight-he’s going to come along with me while Cherie sorts out how she feels” I told him.

“That’s great, babe” Jon replied, yawning again.

“Get some sleep, love. We’ll talk later when we’ve both had some rest” I said, stretching myself and disturbing Floyd just a little.

“I love you, wife” he replied sleepily.

“I love you too, husband” I said as I shut off the phone and literally passed out.


********

I slept in rather late as it felt wonderful to cuddle up with the cats. Jim must have fed them their breakfast as no one swatted me in the head to wake up and I guessed they’d all returned for a nap after eating. I rose and threw on my robe before wandering downstairs for some coffee. There was a fresh pot already waiting and a note that Jim had gone out to get some supplies, but he’d be back around noon, so I had the house to myself. I decided to soak in the hot tub and check in with Jon.

“Hey, doll, you’re up! Did you sleep well? You sounded exhausted last night and I was pretty out of it myself” Jon chirped pleasantly into the phone.

“It was great to sleep in my own bed, surrounded by all my babies, but I missed my favorite companion. How about you?” I replied with a smile.

“I went right back to sleep after you called and I just finished a workout in the gym here in the hotel, so I feel a lot better too” he answered.

“So that means you’re all sweaty and pumped, eh? And here I am all alone in the hot tub” I chuckled suggestively.

“Oh, baby, you are so cruel…” he laughed.

I filled him in on how I had left things in Buffalo and he laughed when I told him that Jared couldn’t wait to rejoin the band and that Cherie wore him out even more than a tour.

“So it sounds like I need to give him a bonus, huh?” he said thoughtfully.

“Trust me, Jon, he really earned it” I said seriously.

“So what are you doing today, darlin’?” he asked curiously.

“I think I’ll check in on the Fan Club and contact the lawyer to make sure all is well. I’ve been so preoccupied with everything lately and I’m anxious to see how folks like the new features. I hope everyone’s enjoying the freedom to say what they want” I responded.

“I’m sure everything’s fine and I imagine everyone’s happier. I should check in again too and see if there have been any particular requests for tonight’s show. There’s still time to change the set list as long as it’s not some obscure oldie” he sighed.

“Okay, I’ll let you go. I’d better get out of here before I look like a prune. Have a great show and say hi to the guys. Call me tomorrow before you leave for Australia” I said.

“Will do, baby. Love you” he said with a kiss and I did the same.

3 comments:

alicefayenjbj said...

good morning. hope you have fully recovered from this weekend.

Love the chapter. it gives you great background and a day in the life sort of chapter.

Look forward to reading more

Alice Faye
Happy First Day of Fall

Anonymous said...

“I think I’ll check in on the Fan Club and contact the lawyer to make sure all is well. I’ve been so preoccupied with everything lately and I’m anxious to see how folks like the new features. I hope everyone’s enjoying the freedom to say what they want”

Let the games begin....

Linda

Sunstreaked said...

Me thinketh the poop is about to hit the fan! Check in with the fan club, eh? Rut row!

Love the phone interactions between Jon and Trish - so real life, catching up, affirming their love, just ... so ... real!

I think Jim is gonna be an interesting addition to the tour!