Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Sauna Part 254

Back upstairs in our room, Jon sat on the bed, just holding me while I cried it all out. I was crying for Richie, and Tico and to a lesser extent David and Hugh. I’d gotten to know both of them better during this trip, but it wasn’t the same as Tico and especially Richie. But I was also crying for Jon. It was the beginning of a day’s worth of tears.

“Baby, I didn’t realize this was going to be so hard” Jon said, resting his chin on my head as I shook against him.

“It’s not just the guys, love, or even Richie. I’m going to be so lost without you, Jon” I tried to explain, followed by another round of sobs.

When I had started to calm down again, Jon spoke quietly. He wanted to cry too, but my distress kept him strong and the depth of his feelings frightened him. If he gave in to the tears now, he’d never stop and he wanted to be there and comfort me instead. Besides, it was more his nature to get mad and he was angry, but angry at the sacrifices he had to make because of who he was.

“Trish, baby, you won’t be lost. I’ve never known a woman less likely to be lost-except perhaps getting home from the airport” he grinned, trying to lighten the mood and remembering our first trip to Buffalo.

“I’ve got that covered!” I sniffled, slapping his arm playfully. “Cherie’s picking me up in Buffalo and Jim’s getting me in Colorado.”

His calmness was helping and I began to pull it together. He expected me to be able to handle myself and I would. He didn’t need my blubbering and I wasn’t the only one who’d be grieving. I needed to behave like the capable, confident woman he thought I was.

“Okay, that’s enough. I’m done now. Let’s get this room picked up before the maid has stories to tell” I smirked as I started to stand up.

“Darlin’, it’s okay. Screw the room and c’mere. Just let me hold you” he insisted, pulling me back.

His eyes were moist now and it was my turn to comfort him. It was like that with us; we were so connected. When one fell apart, the other picked up the pieces and vice-versa. He needed me now and I would be there for him, always.

We laid there together, wrapped in each other’s arms, for the longest time. We didn’t speak; we didn’t even think; we just tried our best to absorb the feel of being together as we cherished each and every precious moment. But eventually we needed to get ready and pack and head to the airport.

“Babe, it’s almost eleven. We should leave for the airport by noon; let’s get you packed” Jon said reluctantly.

I nodded and we sat up and I hugged him tightly with a sigh of resignation. We managed to get everything stuffed into the bags since most of the clothes I’d bought in Covent Garden we’d had the hotel concierge ship for us. The room looked somewhat better and the only obvious sign of our earlier escapades was the small stain from the champagne which had started to dry. Jon packed up his things as well as they’d be heading out later that afternoon too. It was just past noon when we loaded my bags into the waiting limo and headed off to the airport. I laid my head on Jon’s shoulder and he stroked my hair as the limo drove past the sights of London.

The airport was crowded since Heathrow was a major hub and it took us a bit to get through the ticketing and to line up for customs. They wouldn’t allow Jon to go through with me to the gate as only ticketed passengers were allowed past that point and after an argument with the customs officials he threatened to go buy a ticket himself.

“Jon, it’s okay. I’ve only got a few hours to wait and you’re going to be leaving yourself in a few hours anyway. I’ll find something to do and you should go back to the hotel and relax” I encouraged.

“I can’t believe I can’t just go through and wait at the gate until your plain leaves” he said disgustedly, scowling at the security personnel.

We’d moved off to the side so we didn’t hold up the line of people waiting to get through customs as we’d already gotten hostile looks from a few travelers while Jon argued. I hoped they wouldn’t make me go back to the end of the line and I was afraid that creating a scene would attract unwanted attention.

“Kiss me” I demanded as I dropped my carry-on to the floor and threw my arms around his neck.

The distraction worked and his temper subsided as I probed his mouth with my tongue. It was a long kiss and risked even more attention, but it was still hard to make myself pull away. The tears were starting to form again as he hugged me hard and murmured into my ear.

“I love you, Trish, and you know how much I’m gonna miss you” he whispered before stepping back and holding me at arm’s length.

“I know, baby, I know. I’ll call you as soon as we land in Buffalo” I said haltingly, my lower lip starting to tremble. “Call me when you land in Barcelona, okay?”

“I will babe, I will” he answered, kissing me one final time before letting go.

He stooped to pick up my bag and placed it onto my shoulder and I could see tears glistening in his eyes as well. My cheeks were already wet as we looked at each other one final time and he reluctantly let go of my hand. I turned towards the customs officer who looked less annoyed now and they put my bag through as I stepped under the metal detector. Apparently I seemed less threatening now with tears streaming down my face and I passed through without any further delay. I turned and waved Jon goodbye as he stood there with his hands in his pockets, looking for all the world like a little lost boy. He mouthed ‘I love you’ and I did the same before forcing myself to turn again and walk away.

I walked to the conveyor belt that would take me towards the right terminal and held onto the railing as I felt shaky and numb at the same time. I rode to the terminal in a fog, trying to focus on where I needed to go, and eventually reached my gate as I checked my watch. I had well over an hour to wait and decided to find a bathroom nearby and grab a coffee. When I returned, they were boarding the first class passengers and I made my way onto the plane. I sat down in my seat and closed my eyes in a determined attempt to hold back the tears.

Jon had gone back to the limo and was back in the hotel long before my plane even took off. He headed straight for Richie’s room and plopped down on a couch and Richie poured them each a glass of wine which Jon downed almost immediately. There was no need to speak as Richie understood exactly what Jon was feeling, having been through it enough times himself.


************


Jon’s flight landed in Barcelona before my plane reached Buffalo and he dialed my cell as soon as he was inside the airport. There was a gaggle of fans waiting outside of customs and they looked as though they had been there most of the day. Jon groaned and threw on his shades, but it was too late; they’d been spotted.

I’d fallen asleep on the plane as the crying jags had worn me right out and the several glasses of wine hadn’t hurt either. I woke up as I heard it and realized we’d soon be landing in NYC before heading on to Buffalo. I flipped open the phone and saw it was Jon.

“Hey, are you in Barcelona already?” I asked, shaking the drowsiness off.

“Yep, we just landed. I can’t talk very long, babe. There’s a crowd of fans just outside customs and it looks like they’ve been waiting a while” he said wearily.

“How did they know when you’d arrive?” I wondered as we hadn’t run in to that elsewhere.

“I wish I knew, but my guess is they planned to camp out overnight if we hadn’t shown up today. Now that’s loyalty” he said with a shake of his head.

“It certainly is! I won’t keep you, love. It looks like we’ll be landing soon too and I need to change planes. I sure do miss Vicky and the rock star version of travelling” I kidded.

“Yeah, but at least you won’t have to deal with a mob when you land” he chuckled back.

“True. I love you baby. I’ll call in a couple hours when I reach Buffalo” I promised.

“I love you too, Trish. Okay, gotta go greet the fans and try to rescue Richie” he grinned and I smiled.

“Okay, talk to you soon. Give my love to Richie and the guys” I replied.

“Will do” he said and took a deep breath as he prepared to turn on the smile.

6 comments:

Rommie said...

Oh my, I had tears in my eyes reading this! So sad...'sigh'
They have to keep themselves busy so the time passes faster.

Great, but sad chapter :-)

When will they see each other again????? ;-D

Love your story!! It's so 'real'!

Bayaderra said...

OMG, what a heart breaking good bye!!!! Poor Jon and Trish... I love my cat, but I'm not sure I would sacrifice my love live for him!!!! Next time a tour comes around, move the cats in with Dorothea and pay Stephanie to take care of them :) Teens need to learn responcibility anyway :)

Anonymous said...

Uggghh. Even though hubbie has been out of the Navy for 7 1/2 years, I can still feel that panicky feeling of separation anxiety as I read your chapter.

Sigh. Do you think its really like that for them? If so, I'm feeling really guilty!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Trish has to look for good "parents" for the wild ones.... I think she has to take a decision - maybe Obie will get them.... another great chapter, Opester... can't wait for more... I'm begging you for mercy...
Heike

Sunstreaked said...

Really, really don't like the separation of these two! I know, I know, it's a story, but I'm sucked into their world and want them to go through things together!

Ah! Well, for now 'real life' intrudes and we get to see their new adventures! Can't wait to see where this is heading. Just love this story!

Ana said...

Oh yes, what a sad sad goodbye.
I felt so sorry for that poor Jonny with his hands in his pockets seeing how his love left.
As I said, I'd have loved seeing them in my country. They would have had a blast!
See how us, fans, are with our stars. We can camp out only for seeing them!! I just loved it!