Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Sauna Part 255

Cherie was waiting at the gate and gave me a big hug. It was late and I was tired, but I hugged her back and was relieved to see she looked pretty good. Jared was with her and he took my bags and I hugged him as well and thanked him for keeping an eye on her. It was quite a departure from his normal duties and I noted he looked more worn out than he usually did. Cherie was hard to keep up with, I knew, and I looked at him sympathetically.

“How was your flight? How was Europe? How’s your nose? Jim told me what happened. It looks fine, I can’t even tell. Do you want to go back to the house or do you want to go out for a while?” she yammered excitedly.

I saw Jared grinning and I had to laugh too. I guessed he was relieved to have someone else for Cherie to talk to as she tended to get almost manic when she was anxious. I answered her last question and asked her to stop for some coffee as I knew I’d be needing it. I also wanted to call Jon while we were waiting for my bags and Cherie tried to contain herself as I pulled out the cell phone.

“Hi, darlin’! Are you finally in Buffalo? Is Cherie there?” Jon answered, checking the caller ID.

“Yep, I just got in and we’re waiting for the bags. Jared’s here too” I explained.

“What time is it there? Shit, it’s just after six in the morning here” he yawned.

“I’m sorry, love, I didn’t want to wake you, but I promised I’d call. It’s just past midnight here” I apologized.

“So everything’s okay? No problems with the flights?” he asked.

“Nope, no problems. I’m good, but I miss you. It’s going to be hard sleeping alone again. Any tips?” I teased.

“My hands are sore. How’s that for a hint?” he cackled back.

“Oh, gee, thanks! Now that’s a big help! Make me feel guilty and hit me with a visual” I laughed.

Jon gave a dirty chuckle and we changed the subject and talked a little about the next couple days. I’d be back in Colorado by late Sunday night and he’d be in Portugal by that time. Thank goodness for cell phones as I’d have had a hard time keeping track of so many numbers.

“Okay, go back to sleep and don’t be too cranky with the guys now, you hear? I don’t want them blaming me if you’re worse than usual” I admonished him.

“I’ve already been warned. Richie threatened me and he told everyone he’d be calling you if I get out of line. Have a Timmy’s for me, will ya, babe?” he said, yawning again.

“We’re headed there now” I smiled as I saw Jared had gotten the last of my bags. “G’night, husband, I love you” I said wistfully.

“I love you too. ‘Night, wife and call me tomorrow” he said and I clicked off the phone as we made our way out to the car.


***********


Cherie let me sleep until morning once we got back to her house, but once I woke up she began talking non-stop. I was only half listening as I hadn’t had coffee yet and Cherie didn’t even own a coffee pot, but then Cherie didn’t need caffeine to wind up and all she had in the house was herbal tea. I gave Jared a rather pathetic look and he volunteered to run out and get some and I smiled at him gratefully.

“Isn’t he wonderful? He’s just the best” Cherie went on, changing subjects, but from what I didn’t know as I was barely awake.

“You mean Jared? Yes, he seems like a wonderful guy” I agreed, not knowing him all that well.

“He’s really hot too, you know? I wouldn’t mind, well, you know” she tittered and I looked at her, stunned.

“What? Don’t you think so?” she asked, mistaking my look for disagreement regarding Jared’s considerable assets.

“Yes, Cherie, but what about Jim?” I asked, waking up now.

“Jim is wonderful too and I really miss him, but Jared has been so sweet and you should have seen the way he took care of me after that incident with Dave” she replied. “He hasn’t left my side ever since. I think maybe he likes me” she said a little too breathily for my comfort.

“Cherie, Jared’s here to make sure you’re safe. He’s still on Jon’s payroll. It’s only temporary until we’re sure that Dave won’t try and harass you or until Jim is back. Jim’s been very worried about you and he’s anxious to come home and see you” I reminded her, trying to get a handle on just what was happening in her mind.

“I know, I talk to Jim every day, but Dave has been calling me too. He’s started counseling and he wants me to give him another chance” she said seriously.

My mind was reeling and my head was starting to hurt. I hadn’t anticipated any of this as Jim said Cherie had told him Dave hadn’t contacted her. I had assumed she wanted to continue a relationship with Jim and I never imagined she’d mistake Jared’s attention for attraction. Apparently I had assumed way too much and I needed to know what had changed.

“Cher, Jim told me that you hadn’t heard from Dave” I began warily.

“That’s what I told him because I didn’t want him to worry. But Dave calls every day too and he’s really sorry and he’s going to counseling to try and learn how to manage his temper. He said he’s learned quite a bit” she elaborated.

“And you believe him?” I asked, digging my nails in my palms and trying to remain calm.

“Well, I’m not ready to trust him just yet. I know it will take time and I’m not really sure how I feel anymore. Jim and Jared have both been so wonderful and it’s been really different, but I know Dave is trying…” she started when Jared returned with the coffee.

He handed me a large cup and I noticed he had one for himself too, as well as a small iced cappucino for Cherie. I needed time to absorb all this information and I wanted a word with Jared myself. It was possible that he had developed some feelings for Cherie and I needed to know where he stood in all this. I needed to somehow get Cherie to leave us alone while I tried to figure things out.

“Cher, why don’t you go take that shower now? Then I can take mine and we’ll go out for lunch? It’s already eleven” I suggested.

“Okay, I’d like that. I’ll just put this in the frig” she grinned and scampered off to bathe and get ready.

“Cherie, have you got any aspirin?” I called.

She tossed me a bottle from the bathroom and I dumped three in my hand and swallowed. I took a sip of my coffee and once I heard the shower running, I went in to speak with Jared. I really missed Jon and I wished he’d been there to talk to; he always knew how to make me feel better and I could feel the knot in my stomach beginning to form.

“Jared?” I said as I walked into the living room where he was watching TV.

“Yeah, Trish, what’s up?” he asked, turning the volume down.

“No, leave it up. I need to talk to you. What’s been happening since that night with Dave?” I questioned him, wanting to get his sense of how things were before I shared my suspicions.

“It’s been pretty calm, no contact from that asshole as far as I know. She was a wreck for a couple of days but once she recovered, she seemed to get back into a routine. She’s really busy and she’s hardly ever home-she’s more exhausting than Jon, even on a tour. And man, Trish, she can talk” he said with a sigh.

“And how has she been with you?” I asked cautiously, having learned not to assume anything anymore.

“She’s been great. She’s really sweet and she tells me a lot. She keeps trying to do things for me and I have to remind her I’m here to take care of her” he said, wondering where I was going.

“Jared, I’m just going to ask you this straight out as I really need to know. It’s okay, whatever the answer, but just tell me the truth, okay?” I asked and he nodded, looking confused, so I launched right ahead without further preamble. “Have you started to develop feelings for Cherie?”

“Feelings?” he repeated, looking dumbstruck.

“Yes, feelings. Are you attracted to her? She thinks you are” I said, laying it out as I was fairly sure now from his expression that it wasn’t mutual.

“Shit, Trish, she’s a nice person and I feel bad for what she went through with that asshole of a husband. I mean no one deserves that, you know? But she’s driving me crazy and to be honest, I can’t wait until this assignment is over” he confessed.

“Okay” I breathed, somewhat relieved, as I put my hand on his shoulder.

I don’t know why I was relieved, actually. Jared’s lack of awareness of how Cherie felt didn’t really make anything easier. It just told me that her judgment was off and her self-esteem had been so badly damaged that she couldn’t distinguish between concern for her welfare and genuine attraction.

“I need to talk to her then. She’s a little confused right now, Jared, and I don’t think she knows what she wants or how she feels. And Dave has been calling her; she just hasn’t told anyone besides me” I said heavily.

6 comments:

Bayaderra said...

poor, poor Cherie....
that's all I got to say...:(
Thank goodness you have a friend like Trish!

Anonymous said...

“My hands are sore. How’s that for a hint?” he cackled back.

LMAO!!!!!!

Linda

Sunstreaked said...

Good grief! Tell me that Cherie acting that way isn't normal for someone? Tell me it's all effect for the story? Sheesh - it's like banging your head against a wall and expecting the wall to get hurt.

Dave's calling? And Cherie's just blowing Jim off? OOOHHH - I just wanna shake her!

Opester said...

Sorry to say, but most DV victims are riddled with ambivalence because the perps do such a number on their self-esteem. They twist an distort things and make the woman feel responsible for their bad behavior. I wish Cherie's reaction wasn't typical!

Anonymous said...

I've never been around someone who has gone through dv before. When I was reading on Cherie's character, I couldn't understand why she was so willing to forgive/listen to Dave. I tink I get it now thanks to the comment from Opester. I hope Cherie can get to a point where she's not a victim but a survivor. Can't wait to read more.
An Jon I wish I was there to help you with that sore hand problem.lol. hehehe.....

Opester said...

Glad it helped to explain a little about DV victims-so many people wonder why they don't just leave, but it's not as simple as that. There are so many reasons-sometimes it is fear and threats, sometimes it's financial and lack of support or assistance, sometimes it's shame and sometimes, as in Cherie's case, it's just a battered sense of self that has been made to feel responsible for the abuse. Fortunately, many victims do leave when they have support, safety and help. I'm glad the story has helped shed some light on the problem as that was one of my hopes for this story!