Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Sauna Part 256

I’d finished my coffee and hopped in the shower after Cherie was finished and I was glad for some time to myself. I needed to think about how to approach things and I had to get my own feelings under control. I was upset and I was worried and I was sad. I was angry that Cherie didn’t seem to have learned much and I was pretty sure she hadn’t gotten into counseling like she had promised. I was worried that she was still ambivalent about Dave and that she was misreading all kinds of signals. And I was sad for Jim. He really cared for Cherie and I thought he might even have been in love with her. And I had thought maybe she was in love with him.

I finished my shower and I wanted to call Jon. It was just past noon and he’d most likely be getting ready to head to the show shortly and now was as good a time as any. I went upstairs to my room and dialed his cell and he answered on the third ring.

“Hi, babe! How’s everything in Buffalo?” he said, sounding happy to just hear my voice.

“Shit, Jon, it’s really bad” I began.

I poured out the details, my words coming out in a rush, as I filled him in on all I had learned. He listened quietly and let me just spill my guts as he wasn’t sure what to say. He was mostly angry that I’d gone all the way home so Jim could come back and stay with Cherie and now he wasn’t sure that even made sense. If I’d gone home for nothing, he’d really be pissed.

“So, what’s the plan now?” he said somewhat irritably.

“I don’t really know” I said honestly. “We’re going to lunch and I have until today and tomorrow to try and talk to her, but you know what? I cannot keep doing this. She has to get her own counselor. This just isn’t working and I have to tell you, and I feel ashamed saying it, but I’m really angry with her right now and that isn’t helping” I conceded.

“I don’t blame ya, babe. I’m pretty annoyed right now too. Maybe it is time to pull back. I think you’re right, though. She does need to see someone-and soon!” he agreed.

“Goddess, Jon, what do I say to Jim when I get home? He has no idea” I agonized.

“One thing at a time, Trish. See how it goes with Cherie this afternoon and try to get a better read on where her head’s at and then decide what, if anything, to tell Jim” he said wisely.

“Jon, did you talk to the guys yet about the book? Jim will ask me for certain about that. What should I say?” I suddenly remembered.

“Shit, I completely forgot. I’ll talk to them tonight right before the show. Baby, I gotta leave now, it’s almost seven” he realized as Richie knocked and strode into his room.

“Okay, love, and good luck tonight and have fun” I said, wrapping up.

“You need the luck more than I do, doll. Call me tonight; I don’t care what time it is here. Call me when you get back to Cherie’s. I love you” he said and I heard Richie call out in the background.

“I love you too and tell Richie ‘hey’. I’ll call you tonight” I finished and went down the stairs to get Cherie for lunch.


***************


We drove to a local place that Cherie and I always loved. It was called Captain Jack’s and it was right on the lake, overlooking the water, which was frozen at this time of year. There was snow everywhere and we were bundled up warmly as we entered the restaurant with Jared in tow. Cherie invited him to join us, but he declined, preferring to sit at the bar and keep watch and we exchanged knowing looks. Cherie ordered seafood and I ordered a salad, though I wasn’t much in the mood to eat anything.

“Cher, Jared’s heading back to Europe at the end of the week. What are your plans?” I launched right in.

“Wh-wha-what?” she sputtered. “Jared’s leaving?” she asked, looking dismayed.

“Yeah, kiddo, he’s got another job, remember? This was just temporary. You have an Order of Protection you aren’t even honoring and in fact, you’ve violated it yourself by talking to Dave. You’ve gotta decide what you want here” I said firmly.

“Trish, I don’t know what I want. I don’t want to hurt Jim and I don’t want Dave to be mad at me and I just want this all to be different…” she stammered, tears welling up in her eyes. “I don’t know what to do.”

I knew it was hitting her now and that she’d been avoiding having to really make any decisions, but it couldn’t continue. She needed to deal with the ugly reality and stop letting herself soak up attention without realizing the consequences. Jared was simply a balm to her ego and there was no real decision for her to make. I’d told him he could go back to the band and join them in Japan for the final week.

“Cherie, you didn’t contact an advocate and you’re not seeing a counselor, are you?” I confronted her.

“Noooooo” she wailed, her body shaking with sobs.

“Okay, that’s the first thing you need to do tomorrow morning. I can’t be objective here and you need someone to help you work through your feelings. Jim’s planning on coming home Tuesday because that’s what you led him to believe that you wanted. Do you or don’t you?” I kept pushing, my anger rising.

I knew she hadn’t had a whole lot of time since Dave was arrested to start working things through, but she hadn’t even made a start. She hadn’t sought out a counselor and she hadn’t even been truthful with Jim about talking to Dave and she’d wasted time flirting with Jared who wasn’t even interested. I was really discouraged more than angry, and I knew she was needy, but I also felt she was being a bit selfish in stringing Jim along.

Cherie looked at me with tears in her eyes, shaking her head, and I knew she couldn’t make a decision right now. She had a lot to work through and I didn’t want her reacting on impulse, but Jim deserved to know that things weren’t what he thought and he deserved to hear it from her. After that, it was up to him, but he needed to know she needed time.

“Cherie, listen. You don’t have to decide all at once. Maybe you just need some time to be by yourself for a while and take time to heal, okay? But you have to let Jim know that so he doesn’t come rushing back here thinking you’re in love with him. Don’t you agree he deserves to at least know the truth?” I prompted, softening my tone a bit more.

“Y-y-yes-ss” she agreed, shaking her head violently.

Our food arrived and I felt a bit of relief knowing she would tell Jim herself. After we’d eaten, I’d ask her to call him so I knew she had done it. She could work out a safety plan with the advocate while Jared was still here and only the Goddess knew how long it would take to work out her feelings about Dave.

We finished our lunches and returned to the house after I’d managed to get one more Timmy’s on the way back. Cherie was true to her word and she called Jim while I was there and told him where things stood at the moment. It was painful to listen and I was glad I’d be in Colorado tomorrow night as he’d need some comforting too. I didn’t know what he’d decided about coming back to Buffalo now, but I’d know soon enough.


************


I called Jon just around dinner time and knew that they’d have just left the venue and would be headed back to the hotel. Sunday they’d fly into Portugal for a show Monday night and then they’d be headed off to Australia for a couple of shows before wrapping up in Japan. I’d really wished I could have gone to Australia, but there would always be other shows.

“Hi, darlin’. How are you holding up?” Jon said sympathetically into the phone.

“Better, love, much, much better” I sighed and filled him in once again on what had been happening.

“Baby, that’s great. I’m glad she called him herself. It’s better he hear it from her. And at least you can tell him one piece of good news. I talked to the guys and they’re all cool with him writing the book. In fact, I was even thinking… if Jim isn’t set on going back to New York, maybe he could come over and join us in Australia and get a bit of a sense of what touring is like” he suggested.

“And here I thought you were going to say you were hoping I’d be able to come join you if Jim was willing to stay in Colorado” I said, feeling a little disappointed.

“Now here’s the really good part! I’ve got a surprise!” he said, his voice rising in pitch. “Hugh’s got a niece who’s unemployed right now and she loves cats. She’s willing to fly out to Colorado and stay with the boys so you can both come to Australia!” he finished, his excitement contagious.

“Oh my Goddess, Jon! That would be fabulous! Are you serious? Do you really mean it?” I cried back excitedly.

“Yep, I mean it. I guess I’ve been quite a prick…” he hesitated and I heard hoots and hollers from the guys in the background confirming that statement and I laughed. “Anyway…” he continued, glaring at the guys to shut them all up “they had a meeting and came up with a plan to get you back here asap!” he finished, sounding thrilled.

“That would be great! Even if Jim decides to come back to Buffalo, I can spend a few days with my boys and then come and join you! Will you kiss all the guys for me?” I said, really ecstatic now.

“Aaaawww, Trish, can’t you just kiss ‘em yourself when you get here?” he whined and I heard what I knew had to be David making kissy noises in the background.

“Fuck, did you hear that? Trish, hurry and come soon. I need you to rescue me” he said, but his voice faded as Richie took the phone and passed it around and I thanked them all, one by one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a great plan! Now, I'm going out of town for the weekend, so no earth shattering cliff hangers while I'm gone, okay? I'll catch up on Sunday!

Linda :)

alicefayenjbj said...

what a way to wake up. A new chapter! I always come here first to read..or even re read several of the older chapters. It is amazing to see stuff I missed the first time reading.

have a great weekend. just gald after 9 straight days of work i am off today!

Going to read and jot and do lots of fun stuff.

AF

richiesambora said...

Geeez, I hope Cherie gets some help from a counselor.
Why is it that woman who got beaten up by their men always feel guilty and have pity with these men????
That's really unbelievable!

I had to laugh out loud when Jon came up with the plan the other "boys" made.
Seems like he's again a PITA because Trish left. Poor boys! LMAO
I'm looking forward to Trish's trip to Australia.
Before I finish: A big compliment for the use of the different timezones!!! I think you got it now! ;-)
Jovial hugs
Andy

Opester said...

Thanks Linda and Alice! I look forward to your comments everyday-I will try not to post anything too major while you're gone Linda, LOL!
And Andy-I think I finally got it after much struggle-it certainly took me long enough to get those time zones! DV victims are often brainwashed by their abusers into believing everything is their fault and because they are often isolated from family and friends, the abuser is frequently the only voice that they hear!

Sunstreaked said...

YES YES YES !!! Good plan guys and Hugh gets a big kiss from me!

Cherie - hmmm, gonna be a long haul, that woman is in major denial and is gonna rationalize until the earth stands still. Glad Trish realized that she can't be Cherie's crutch forever - Trish has been doing her own enabling, even though she had the best of intentions! Yeah, go ahead, laugh at me giving my psychiatric opinion!

Really good chapter hon! But inquiring minds wanna know what's up with mom and Matt...

Ana said...

Those were great chapters Opester!!
I was afraid there wouldn't be any action while Jon and Trish separated, but I was totally wrong!
I have to say that I was worried thinking about Trish having to console Jim if he's not going to meet Cherie. You know, the two of them, there, alone.. And then Jon is making plans for them!
Well, I hope that trip to Australia has no incidents.