Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Sauna Part 249

It was a short flight to Trondheim and we arrived just before noon, so there was an actual window of light when we landed. We decided to make the most of the two hours or so that we had before the sun disappeared at this time of year and we asked the limo driver to show us the sights as best he could. I was reminded of a book I had read years ago, set in the Middle Ages in Norway, and those pages came alive when we drove up to Nidaros Cathedral.

The Cathedral was truly gothic and our driver-turned-tour guide advised us that the famous St. Olav’s remains were buried there. It was difficult to understand much of what he said through the heavy Norwegian accent, but he did his best to show off the city and added that summer is the time when it is known as ‘The Land of the Midnight Sun’. Despite our rather limited tour, it struck me as an incredibly romantic place and the views from the Bakke Bridge near our hotel were indeed picturesque. The colorful buildings and warehouses along the waterfront had me stopping again to take pictures.

“Where would you suggest that we go for a bite to eat? We’re starving” Jon asked the driver, his stomach rumbling for added emphasis.

“I know just the place” he smiled, nodding his head.

Jon wasn’t alone in his hunger; both David and Tico spoke up when Jon mentioned it. We’d eaten breakfast at the hotel in Vienna, but nothing beyond snacks on the plane. Tonight’s show started early and we needed to eat and get to the venue in time for a quick sound check before the gates were opened.

Norway was known for its seafood and that suited Jon just fine. He had grilled salmon while I preferred shrimp and we all ordered seafood. We had a fabulous view of the city from Tyholt Tower and Jon joked that he would make sure to tip our driver generously. The Tower sat some 400 feet above the city and the floor of the restaurant revolved while we ate so we were treated to an amazing panorama during our meal. The food was impeccable, but we ate quickly and bustled off to the venue.

The sound check went smoothly and we were whisked back to the hotel to check in and freshen up prior to the show. The guys had never been here during the winter before, so the early darkness was a bit unexpected and when we arrived at the show it seemed later than it was in reality. The drastic change in the daylight from season to season did have an impact on the culture and Norway’s nightlife seemed to flourish.

The welcome from the fans was a heart-warming spectacle and the guys grinned as they peered into the crowd from the sidelines. The opening band was a popular favorite and we learned that Norway had a strong devotion to rock and roll. The guys were determined to put on a show that folks would remember.

The stage set up was a bit different and the venue was smaller than a typical show in the summer where a stadium was filled to capacity. This felt like a more intimate affair and the guys spent more time interacting with fans and they included some older acoustic numbers as a special treat. My favorite, as always, was “Lay Your Hands on Me” which Jon performed so magnificently. The response from the crowd took on the flavor of almost religious zealotry and the guys were amply rewarded for this special tour. It was heaven for Richie, I thought, as I gazed into the sea of gorgeous blonde women that dominated the audience.

When the show was over, we returned to the hotel and since it was still fairly early (by rock and roll standards) we decided to congregate in the hotel bar. We had plenty of company that night as the hotel was hopping and there was even live music. I guessed that there were a number of concert-goers who were staying there too, judging from the number of Bon Jovi t-shirts that were to be seen. We almost rethought our plans, but those who were fans were extremely polite and there was none of the hoopla or “fandamonium” we’d come to expect elsewhere. Only a few of the folk approached the guys for an autograph.

David was tickled as he found an admirer and they hooked up for most of the evening. Tico was a bit sullen and said he was missing Eva, especially being surrounded by a sea of gorgeous, tall blondes. Richie, on the other hand, had simply died and gone to heaven and that left Hugh, Tico and us for most of the evening. My nose had improved quite a bit and all that remained visible was a slight discoloration, but it was still somewhat tender to the touch.

“How are you feeling, babe?” Jon asked solicitously.

“I’m pretty good. I’m surprised myself at how little this bothers me” I said, indicating my nose.

“So maybe my head is not quite as hard as Richie’s fist, hmmnn?” Tico smiled slyly.

“That’s hard to believe, given how stubborn you can be at times” Hugh teased.

This started the two on an old subject and we laughed as they argued and antagonized each other over the finer points of golf. I laughed at their antics, but I had little to add to the conversation, having never played a round in my life.

“Never? Querida, when we get back home, you’ll have to come with me next time you’re in Florida” Tico volunteered.

“Does Eva play too?” I wondered, somehow unable to picture it in my mind.

“She humors me” Tico grinned.

The subject of golf naturally led the way to the subject of football and again I felt out of my element. I decided to go up to the bar for a drink and see what trouble Richie was up to. He was immersed in conversation with a striking woman who, if not already, should have been a model. I smiled as I sat down beside him and he turned his attention toward me, excusing himself from his current companion.

“So, you appear to be enjoying the smorgasboard” I laughed, raising my eyebrows.

“Old habits die hard, especially with so much temptation” he acknowledged. “What’s wrong? Are the boys boring you tonight?” he inquired.

“A little-they’re all talking sports” I replied.

“How about a dance then? That ought to get Bossman’s attention” he smirked.

“Why Richie, I’m flattered. You’d forgo the buffet and choose a chopped steak when you could have filet mignon?” I teased.

“Trish, you could never be chopped steak” he said sweetly, taking my hand to dance.

But filet mignon, I’ll never be, I thought ruefully. Richie was a wonderful dancer and he was quite light on his feet. He swept me onto the dance floor and we swayed and rocked to the soft sounds of jazz that were now being heard through the speakers. The band had long finished their last set and the music had a decidedly more mellow flavor. I soon felt Richie stop and step back and I opened my eyes to see Jon waiting his turn.

“Trying to cut in on my turf, bro?” he asked with a glint in his eye.

“That’s what happens when you neglect your woman- I know how to treat a lady” Richie smirked back as he released me into Jon’s waiting arms.

“I’m sorry, babe. Were we boring you with all the talk about sports?” he asked indulgently.

“Truthfully, I just don’t have much to offer on that particular subject so I thought I’d let you talk with the guys and go check on Richie” I explained.

“I think Richie is doing just fine” he answered, inclining his head toward his friend.

I laughed as I saw that the blonde had returned and was claiming her own dance with the tall American rock star. I winked at Richie and he winked back while Jon nuzzled my ear.

“Ready for bed, doll? The jet lag is taking its toll” he yawned and I nodded.

We excused ourselves and said goodnight as we made our departure. Jon let out a sigh as he stripped off his shirt and his pants and I undressed and slipped into bed. He wanted to take a quick shower after the show and I kissed him goodnight as I knew I’d soon be asleep. Tomorrow was Finland and then we’d be back to London for the second run show before the guys moved on to Spain and Portugal. I planned to head home after London as I missed my boys and Jim was anxious to see Cherie.

We flew the short distance to Helsinki just after breakfast and we had enough time to see some of the city and do a quick bit of shopping. I wanted to try and stay busy and not think about the upcoming separation, but Jon brought it up when we stopped for a coffee at one of the numerous cafés in the square.

“Are you certain that Cherie wouldn’t rather just fly out to Colorado and stay with Jim?” Jon asked again and I looked at him wearily.

“Cherie has a job and a career she’s worked hard for back in Buffalo. Her life is there, and ultimately, so is Jim’s. Jon, please, let’s not make this harder than it already is” I begged.

“I know, darlin’, I know. It’s just that it has been so wonderful having you here and I’m not really happy about the thought of being alone again” he complained.

“Neither am I, but it won’t be that long. You’ll have Spain and Portugal and then Australia and Japan and you’ll be back home. At least for a while” I added, chagrined.

“At least in the States and Canada, I won’t be so far” he said quietly.

I wasn’t sure who Jon was reassuring, me or himself, but probably both. I thought about Tico and Hugh, both who were married and separated from their wives and their families for so much of the time. Jon and I had a wonderful time, but I did rather hope that he might want to settle down a bit more eventually. Whatever the future held, we’d make it work.

“C’mon, let’s hit a few more stores before it’s time for the show” Jon said resignedly and we pushed on while there were still a few hours of daylight left to enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugghhh-that means they are going to be apart when the sh** hits the fan in the fan club....

Oh boy!

Thanks for another great chaper :)

Linda

Opester said...

Dayum, Linda! You're good! Hang on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride, I think!

Sunstreaked said...

Richie, on the other hand, had simply died and gone to heaven.

~~~

Dear lord, thankfully I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when that line came up!

Gotta tell ya, I don't like that Jon and Trish are going to be separated for so many different times. Sure, they don't have to be joined at the hip, but they are newly married and if Linda is right and the fan club sh*t is gonna hit the fan with Jon out of town...not a good idea.

Just my opinion, but those two NEED to be together!

Ana said...

Oh I so agree! Why they have to separate just before arriving in Spain? I would have loved to see where were they going!
And it seems that what is waiting for Trish at home is nothing good, and she'll be alone..
But well, that adds some excitement to the story and I'm looking forward to it!!