Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Sauna Part 187

I was grateful that Richie knew the city so well as it made shopping a lot easier. We made our way from store to store, gathering the items on the list I had made with Jon’s help. We found a beautiful shawl for Stephanie and a fancy cell phone with features I couldn’t even comprehend, let alone know how to operate. I found an assortment of bath products for Eva that I thought she would like and a pair of spa slippers with aromatic herbs that released their scent when you heated them in the microwave. Richie found some imported, specially blended Cuban cigars for Tico and a silly set of golf club covers that looked like cat faces that I knew would make Eva laugh and I could see Tico groaning already.

We cleaned off a good part of the list at the liquor store as we bought special wines and favorite liquors for David and Hugh as well as most of Jon’s family, including his mother. I had some mixed feelings about that, but it was what Jon had suggested, so I let that be his call. I didn’t really have any better ideas although I admit a diamond-studded muzzle did cross my mind for his mother. Richie laughed at that, but he agreed it would be our private joke. We decided to stop for a snack before finishing the rest of the list and headed inside the restaurant. We settled into a booth and ordered coffee and sandwiches and we both heaved a sigh of relief when the coffee arrived.

“God, that tastes good” Richie breathed, taking a sip.

“I hear ya Rich, I need my caffeine” I agreed. “Have you had enough shopping for one day?” I wondered.

“No, I’m fine. Actually, I’m grateful for the distraction. But I’m thinking I should call my mom and tell her what happened, but I’m not looking forward to that phone call. She wasn’t thrilled when Elaine and I got married, I could tell, but she definitely won’t be happy to hear about this” he said heavily.

I nodded as Richie pulled out his cell phone and dialed his mom. I could imagine how hard it would be to have to try and explain what happened to his mom and I didn’t envy him. I wanted to give him some privacy, so I decided I’d call Jon and check in.

“Richie, she’s just going to be concerned about you and she’ll be upset that her son got hurt. She’s your mom and she loves you. I’ll call Jon and give you some privacy” I offered, not really knowing how to make this any easier.

I excused myself and went to the ladies room and after I’d finished, I called Jon. I got the machine first and started to leave a message when he picked up.

“Hi, babe. How’s the shopping adventure?” he asked, sounding a bit chipper.

“Pretty productive, actually. We got quite a bit done, but we haven’t hit the toy store yet and Richie is calling his mom to tell her what happened” I explained.

“How’s he holding up?” Jon wondered.

“Really well; almost too well. I think it’s keeping his mind off yesterday, but we’ll see after he talks to his mom. Did you get hold of the doctor?” I prompted.

“Yeah, actually. He was just here. I’m glad he was willing to make a house call too. That’s one benefit to paying that retainer” he chuckled.

“What did he say? Is your nose broken?” I asked anxiously.

“No, he says I’ll still be pretty again soon and he gave me a steroid shot to bring down the swelling and some really good drugs for the pain, but it doesn’t really hurt that much to be honest. Not much he could do about the bruising, though, so you may need to try your hand with some make-up tomorrow night” he groaned.

“I think I’d better buy some concealor or something then before we head home” I joked, but I doubted I would be able to hide such a prominent bruise.

“When are you coming home, babe? I’m lonely” Jon whined a little.

“Pretty soon, love. I think we’ll hit the toy store and a gourmet shop and then we’ll head back. Is there anything special that you want for dinner?” I offered.

“Just you, darlin’, and maybe a pizza?” he said wistfully.

“Okay, I think I can arrange that” I giggled. “I love you.”

“I love you too. Come home soon” he added invitingly.

I returned to the booth and I could see Richie had finished his phone call. His brown eyes were moist, but he wasn’t crying and he smiled wanly as I sat down beside him. I put my arms around him and he leaned his head on my shoulder and gave me a little squeeze.

“How’d it go?” I asked softly.

“Mom’s great, ya know. She didn’t say much, but she wants me to come home and she’s making me dinner” he answered with a little laugh.

“Aaawwww, Richie” I said, my heart breaking for him but glad that his mom would be able to comfort him and that he wouldn’t be alone.

“So Trish, let’s hit the stores and finish the list. I’m sure Jon’s anxious to have you home too” he said resolutely.

“Richie, it’s okay, you know. Jon and I can do this tomorrow” I suggested.

“Nope, I need to get some stuff for Ava too and the gourmet store is right around the corner and I can get some dessert to pig out on with mom” he laughed, his face brightening a little.

“That sounds like a plan” I nodded and we headed off to finish our task.

Richie and I finished our shopping and I was able to round out the gifts for my family with stuff from the gourmet store. I had already picked up some things for Cherie and Dave and my sister, but the gourmet store was quite an experience and they had peanut butter and chocolate concoctions to die for. I could feel myself packing on the pounds as we browsed and I kept adding things to the list.

“Trish, stay over there! Don’t come over here! I just found what I’m getting for you and Jon this year!” Richie squealed with excitement as he motioned to the clerk.

“Oooh, Richie, I love you” I called back as I gave the salesgirl the addresses to ship all the goodies I’d purchased. I even bought a collection of Italian cookies for Jon and a scrumptious Tiramisu for dessert for later tonight. Richie added one too to take with him to his mom and we both cackled with delight.

“Something for the pain” he whispered in my ear as they wrapped up the desserts for us and I saw a glimpse of the old Richie coming back.

The toy store was on the way back to the house and we made short work of completing our list. Between Richie and me, we had a full cart as we went to check out and I grinned at him. He was so much like a big kid himself at times and I was tickled to have his wisdom available for choosing additional gifts for the kids as that wasn’t my strong suit. I guessed that he would have almost as much fun as Ava with half of the toys, at least the less girly ones!

Our last stop was the pizza parlor and my order was waiting when we arrived. We made it back to the house finally by seven and we had the car unloaded in no time with Jon’s help. Richie hugged us goodbye and headed off to his mom’s for some comfort and soothing. Jon and I dug into our pizza with gusto as we were both starving by this time.

After dinner, I dragged out the gifts and we made separate piles in the living room. We stood back and surveyed the chaos as Jon slipped his arms around my waist.

“Quite an impressive haul, babe! You are a shopping machine; it’ll take all day tomorrow just to wrap it all! I think I owe Richie a huge debt” he snickered.

“I just love Christmas! I can hardly wait to get started” I beamed and Jon looked at me affectionately.

“You want to start now? Aren’t you tired after all that?” he asked incredulously.

“Hell no! I’m too excited now! And we haven’t even got a tree yet …” I pouted.

“Shit, I completely forgot about that” Jon groaned.

“Baby, we have to get the tree! Please?” I whined.

“Okay, okay. Do you wanna do that tonight then?” he capitulated with a sigh.

“Yes! Yes! Can we? Really? Please…” I pleaded.

“Yeah, let’s go get a tree” he agreed indulgently, shaking his head.

7 comments:

lori said...

Ok, I'm sitting on the edge of my chair here. I just can't imagine that Elaine just went away. What's up your sleeve Opester? LOL

Opester said...

Hehehe...

Sunstreaked said...

Oh yeah, I agree with Lori - where's Elaine and what is she plotting? Send Richie south to me for some TLC; I'll spare Jon for a bit to help his best bud! Love Richie in your story, Opester, he's just how I picture him to be, so warm and funny and the best friend someone could have! Good chapter, doll! Waiting anxiously for Christmas and am also wanting to learn more about Dot's new John!

Queenie said...

Oooh Opester you are an evil woman leaving us to wonder about Elaine. I hope she doesn't mess up Christmas for everyone. That would just suck! Please don't leave us hanging too long.

Opester said...

Elaine needs time to plot her next move.......

Anonymous said...

Great chapter Opester!
I love the way you write. :)

Sheena

Ana said...

Richie is just fantastic! I'm loving that he and Trish are becoming close friends.
Oh, I love Christmas time and I'm glad Trish too, I know how she feels.