Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Sauna Part 190

We had no time to eat as the limo was waiting and we threw on our clothes. Jon grabbed a Santa hat and we ran out the door where we found Rick waiting for us. He was holding a gift and I immediately felt awful that we’d completely forgotten to get him a present.

“Merry Christmas, boss” he grinned as he handed Jon the package.

“Crap! I forgot something” I said as an excuse and ran back in the house.

I looked at our stash of presents and grabbed the aged whiskey I’d gotten for Jon’s mom and I fetched the cookies I’d gotten for Jon. What the hell, we’d make cookies tomorrow anyway! I snatched a couple of bows and a gift tag and hurriedly stuffed them in a gift bag and dashed out the door.

“We were in such a rush! I almost forgot!” I cried breathlessly as I handed the bag to Rick with a kiss and we got in the limo.

“Nice save there, wife. I always give everyone a Christmas bonus in their paycheck, but I’m glad you bought something anyway” Jon smiled approvingly.

“Actually I didn’t and I feel horrible. Rick is so special, I can’t believe I forgot” I lamented.

“What did you manage to find then?” he asked searchingly.

“I gave him the bottle of whiskey I bought for your mom and the cookies I’d bought for you” I admitted sheepishly.

“You bought me cookies and gave them to Rick?” he pouted.

“From the cats, love! I’ll make you some more tomorrow” I kissed his nose which looked surprisingly improved.

“Promise?” he pleaded in a little boy voice.

“I promise” I grinned.

Jon settled back in his seat and handed me the present from Rick. I unwrapped it carefully and folded the wrapping paper as Jon eyed me with amusement.

“You really weren’t kidding, were you?” he teased.

“No! It’s beautiful paper!” I said in my own defense.

I opened the box and pulled the tissue paper aside, being careful to lift out the contents. Inside the box was an ornament in the shape of a cat wearing a Santa hat. The tag read “Merry Christmas to Jon and Trish” and there was a small can of cat treats hidden inside as well. I turned on the intercom and called Rick.

“Thank you so much! We love it and it’s our very first kitty ornament too!” I said excitedly.

“You’re welcome! And the cookies are great!” Rick mumbled, his mouth full of cookies and Jon glared at me as his stomach growled in sympathy.

I poked him in the ribs and he muttered back to Rick.

“Glad you like ’em, man! Thanks for adding another cat to the family!”

We reached the venue at seven and it was quite a mob scene. The Christmas show was a fan favorite and had sold out almost instantly and the media was there in full force as they expected a statement about all the rumors that were flying around. Rick drove around to the back and Richie had just arrived as well and he bounded over towards us. He and Jon exchanged a hug for the cameras before we were hustled inside.

“Hey man, the nose looks pretty good! I can barely tell” Richie exclaimed, looking surprised.

“Yeah, the steroids brought down the swelling and Trish managed to cover most of the bruising with make-up” Jon nodded. “Where’s the food, man? I’m starving!”

A security guard led us backstage to the dressing room and there was quite a spread laid out on a couple of trestle tables. Jon loaded his plate and I followed suit as I was hungry now too. I was glad to see that someone had had the foresight to include Christmas cookies along with the regular staples. Tico was already there and I was glad to see Eva had come for the show tonight too.

Jon and the guys began reviewing the details and checking the set list for the night and Eva and I helped ourselves to some of the goodies that were available and she poured me a glass of wine. The excitement was palpable, even backstage, and the crew seemed to be full of the holiday spirit. Someone had even strung up Christmas lights and there were seasonal garlands scattered about. Even Hugh was sporting a Christmas hat!

There was a commotion outside and Eva and I both turned to see what had caused it. Rick swept past me in a heartbeat and the conversation died as Elaine burst into the room. Apparently all the crew had not been informed of the situation and Jon was livid. Richie looked like a deer caught in the headlights and I heard Tico hiss under his breath.

“What the fuck?” he said, as he stepped between me and Elaine who was sobbing and pleading for Richie to take her back as Rick held her securely away from him.

I looked over at Richie and he shook his head towards Rick and turned away from her. Elaine began ranting and became hysterical, but Rick had a firm hold on her and dragged her out the door. I had never seen Richie’s eyes look so cold and Jon’s glittered with wrath. Whoever had let her in was going to pay dearly.

The entire scene was over almost before it began, but it still left us all in a dour mood. I didn’t think Elaine would just go away quietly, but I never expected that she’d have managed to get through Jon’s security and show up at the venue. This would create a feeding frenzy for the paparazzi who were always eager for a scandal, especially one involving Bon Jovi.

I immediately moved towards Jon and Richie and I was torn between who needed attention first. Jon was seething and barking out orders, but it was Richie who worried me more. He was entirely too calm and seemed completely unfazed by this turn of events. I didn’t know what had happened since we had said goodbye yesterday.

“Richie? Richie, are you alright?” I asked as I turned him to face me.

His eyes were empty as he looked at me with a steady calm that frightened me more. He leaned down to whisper in my ear and I could smell the alcohol on his breath as he spoke.

“I served her with divorce papers yesterday” he said simply, his voice devoid of any emotion.

I was speechless. I knew it was coming, but the speed with which he had done it took me aback. Richie laughed then, but it was a dull, hollow sound and held none of the warmth I had come to expect when he laughed.

“That’s why we keep lawyers on retainer” he explained tonelessly and I reached for his hand.

His eyes softened then as he looked down at me and smiled the wan little smile I had seen so much of lately. I squeezed his hand and he hugged me and whispered again.

“I’ll be okay, Trish, really. Just let me get through the night” he begged, sounding a bit more like himself.

I nodded and he released me and downed the rest of his drink. I noticed then that he was drinking straight vodka and I shuddered. Jon was now at my side and he pulled me away as he tilted his head wordlessly towards Richie.

“Just let him be, Trish. He needs to get through the show and the press conference, okay?” he pleaded with me.

I felt sick inside, but I wasn’t going to fight the way they wanted to handle things. It wasn’t my purview and I knew it, but I wasn’t happy about any of this. I was angry and scared and sad all at the same time and I couldn’t shut off my feelings quite as well as Richie had done.

“Are you okay?” Jon asked, forcing me to look at him.

“I’ll be fine. The show must go on” I said cynically and Jon looked at me hard.

“Trish, there are thirty thousand fans out there tonight who’ve been waiting patiently to see us. What would you have me do? Cancel the show?” he demanded and I could feel his frustration.

“No, Jon, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that the way it sounded. It’s just so unfair…” I muttered.

I felt powerless and impotent at that moment and I cursed my hasty remark. There was little Jon could have done to have avoided all this and it surely wasn’t his fault. It was Elaine who had caused the pain and it was her that I wanted to hurt, not Jon.

“I know, babe, I know. Stay here with Eva for a bit, okay? We gotta get out on the stage” he replied softly.

He guided me over towards Eva and kissed me as he murmured that he loved me into my hair. He and Eva exchanged knowing looks and she led me away from the group and refilled my wine glass. This was all hard enough as it was and I resolved that I wasn’t going to add to it further by whining any longer. When I looked up and met her eyes, my own were clear and I forced a smile.

“Never a dull moment” I quipped and she looked at me sadly.

“It’ll pass, Trish. The press will move on and Richie can grieve in private. They’ll be going to Europe after the holidays and it’ll be good to get away for a while” she commented wisely.

The show must go on.

11 comments:

Queenie said...

Should have known Elaine would try to wreak havoc at the show. Glad Richie is cutting ties and moving on, though the straight vodka drink has me worried.

Great chapter Opester!

Sunstreaked said...

Okay, now I'm totally worried about Richie...he's too calm...and I know or at least suspect that Elaine ain't gonna take this lying down!

I also agree with Stephanie...straight vodka, Richie?

Ack!!!

Another nail biter, Opester!

Anonymous said...

Oh Richie.....straight vodka? Not wise my friend. I do like how Richie handled Elaine. How everyone handled Elaine. I'm impressed with Richie's finality of things, the speediness of serving the divorce papers. Good for him.

My next worry though is Europe after the holidays. Elaine is Scottish and soon enough she won't have anything that would enable her to stay in the states. I'm just worried what kind of crap she will try to pull in Europe.

I'm glad that Trish has Eva to keep her sanity in check. Eva seems to be a great asset to Trish in helping her deal with sticky situations. Can't wait for the next chapter, Anna

Opester said...

Wow, Anna! You made it! Glad you got caught up! Thanks Steph, Sun, Sheena, Angael, Alina and Anna for all of your comments over all of these chapters and to all the other folks who've come along for the ride! If there are others who are still with us, please let me know that you're reading! I'd love to hear from everyone who's made it this far!

Anonymous said...

Yep I finally made it! Know I have to take a bit of a break because my child care class had suffered greatly:( Don't Worry I will catch up again soon, Anna

Opester said...

No problem, Anna! Don't want you missing class now-Jon and Trish will be here! Hurry back!

Anonymous said...

Loved this chapter Opester! A lot. :)

Sheena

Opester said...

Hey Sheena, You are just going to love Part 196!

Connie said...

Hi Opester:

I've been reading now for almost a week and am up to Chapter 190. I have to say I can't stop reading. Your story has kept my attention every step of the way. I love it! I can totally picture Jon and Trish together. I can't wait to keep reading. I just wanted to drop you a comment to let you know that I am and have been on board. I hope you have other stories that I can start after The Sauna. Thanks for entertaining me!!

Connie

Opester said...

Thanks Connie! I'm tickled that you're enjoying the story and to know I have another new reader! Thanks so much for your comment-it's inspiring! Unfortunately this is the only story I have going and I don't foresee another one in my future, but ya never know...

Ana said...

Unfortunately!! No!! Thanks God you have this one and continue writing!!
I don't want to see the end of this story and I still have a lot of chapters to read!


I'm also a little scared at what Elaine could do when the guys are in Europe. Will Trish finally go too?