Monday, June 16, 2008

The Sauna Part 193

I woke to the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and I could hear Katie bustling around about the house. Although it was Christmas Eve, she had decided to come in for a short time today as she was taking some time off until after New Year’s. I was glad for the company as Jon was still fast asleep. I put on my robe and slippers as I went to join her in the kitchen, enticed by the smell of the coffee.

“Merry Christmas, Katie! I’m sorry about the mess in the living room, but I’ll get it cleaned up as soon as I finish the last couple presents” I said apologetically as I filled up the food bowls for the cats.

“It’s no problem, Missus Jovi. I can leave that room until last” she smiled.

“You make good coffee” I said appreciatively as I sipped the first cup. “But please call me Trish” I smiled.

“Okay Missus, errr, Trish? Is Mister Jovi awake or should I wait to clean up the bathroom and make the bed?” she asked.

“He’s still pounding his ear, but don’t worry if you need to leave before he gets up. It’s Christmas Eve and we’ll manage. Are you going away for the holidays?” I asked, curious to know her a little.

“Me and the Mister, we’re going on a cruise. It was a present from all of our kids” she chirped proudly.

“Where are you going? Somewhere warm, I hope?” I grinned.

“Yes, ma’am. We’re going to the Caribbean and I’ve never been there before. I’m so excited!” she answered.

“Me either. I hope you’ll show me some pictures when you get back” I said as I stood up, ready to tackle the last of the gifts.

“Do you want some help wrapping, Missus, uhm, Trish?” she offered.

“Sure! I’ll never turn down an offer to help wrap presents” I laughed and we plodded out to the living room.

I blushed when I realized my shirt and Jon’s jeans were still strewn on the floor and I hurriedly grabbed them and hid them under the tree. Katie sat down on the floor and we were chatting amiably when Jon wandered in on his way to the kitchen.

“Oh sure, now you’re up after we’ve just about finished” I kidded him as he yawned and stretched.

“I’ve learned through the years that timing is everything” he grinned sheepishly as I finished tying the last bow. “Merry Christmas, Katie”

“Do you want some coffee, Mister Jovi?” Katie offered but Jon shook his head.

“I can get it. Go ahead and finish what you two were doing” Jon replied as he headed for the coffee.

We finished the last box and Katie began handing me the packages to put under the tree. When we were done she disappeared into the bedroom to finish her cleaning now that Jon was up. I joined him in the kitchen and began making a plate of cookies to give to Katie as a thank you when he reached around from behind me and grabbed a cookie off the plate.

“Stop that!” I rebuked him, slapping his hand away before he managed to grab another one. These are for Katie!”

“Are you going to give away all my cookies?” he pouted.

“No, this is the last plate, I promise. You can have all the rest” I relented, munching on one now myself.

“I’ll share them with you” he purred, holding one up as I took a bite.

We sat down at the table and refilled our mugs as we snacked on the cookies and Jon glanced at the paper which Katie had brought in. I looked through the entertainment section and spotted a photo from last night’s gig and read Jon the total that had been raised for charity.

“Not a bad haul” he smiled proudly and patted his lap.

I came over and sat down and I hugged him. I was proud of Jon in so many ways, but his generosity really impressed me. He genuinely took pleasure in his ability to support worthy causes and I was anxious to become more involved once the holidays had passed and I could concentrate on establishing the foundation.

“Jon?” I prompted as he was engaged in nuzzling my neck as he read the sports section over my shoulder.

“Yeah, babe?” he acknowledged as he set down the paper.

“I’ve been thinking. I’d like to start the foundation after you leave for Europe. I’d also like to use some of the money for funding a trauma counseling center. How would you feel about that?” I asked tentatively.

“Whatever you want to do, Trish, as long as Habitat gets a piece of the pie. You’ll be getting a lot of requests and I trust your judgment to determine what causes to support as I know whatever you decide will be money well spent” he assured me.

“Thank you, Jon. That means a lot to me and I really do want to continue to support trauma work along with all the charities I know that you have supported. You’ll need to give me a list as I’m not that familiar with all the local ones” I reminded him.

“I’ll call my accountant after Christmas and ask him to make you a list and give you an accounting of what’s gone where and I’ll make sure he knows he’s at your disposal” he said confidently. “Now what would you like to do today until it’s time for the party? I thought maybe we could go into the city and do a little more shopping as there’s still something I’d like to get. I was also hoping to stop and visit my folks and give them their gifts, if you wouldn’t mind?”

“Would I mind shopping?” I asked, using humor to evade the real question, but Jon wasn’t buying it.

“No, Trish, I meant seeing my folks. They won’t be at the party, it’s just the band and folks from the industry, but I can go see my parents by myself if you’d rather not go?” he clarified.

It was the last thing on earth I wanted to do today, but it felt like a test and I knew it would be rude if I didn’t go. What excuse could he make for my absence? I was certain his mother wouldn’t be disappointed if I wasn’t there however. Regardless, I wasn’t going to hand her an opportunity to criticize me as I was sure she’d find plenty of reasons without my assistance.

“I didn’t realize they wouldn’t be at the party tonight, so let’s go today” I agreed.

“Thanks, darlin’. I know you’re not looking forward to seeing my mom, but I really do want you to come with me” he admitted.

Katie had finished in the bedroom and we needed to take a shower and get ready. I left the cookies with a note on top of her purse in case she was gone by the time we had finished and Jon called his parents to make sure they’d be home. We jumped in the shower and took a leisurely one as there was plenty of time still. Jon’s nose looked almost normal and I hoped his parents hadn’t heard about the fight. We’d been blessed so far with very little attention on that as the press had focused more on what happened between Richie and Elaine.

3 comments:

Sunstreaked said...

Okay, what is the press saying about Richie and Elaine? And, uh oh, Trish is gonna go meet again with Jon's mother and they're now legally married and she wasn't invited? Whew! I forsee some problems here. Chewing on my nails waiting for another chapter and some answers to these and other questions!

Loved the chapter, Opester, you always get me thinking SO much about what's to come!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, not the Mom again. I really can´t stand her in these fiction. I hope it´ll be everything ok, at the meeting with his parents.

I like the way Trish talked to Katie. And yes, I would love to have Cookies too :D

BTW I want to try the Italian Sausage too *giggle* I had to read it twice and was laughing til the tears were running down my cheeks. That was a really good one.

Trina

Anonymous said...

Jon and his cookies. He really has a problem sharing. LOL
Wonder what's going to happen this time when Trish meets up with Carol - I'm always a bit surprised at Carol's attitude toward Trish. You would think that she would be happy having another woman to talk to. I guess she has a problem sharing her son.
Oh, and like Sunstreaked, I can hardly wait to read what's going on with Ritchie and Elaine. I know, we haven't heard the last of her.