Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Sauna Part 191

Despite all the adversity, the show did go on and it went surprisingly well. Eva and I joined in a bit later and we watched from the side of the stage. I couldn’t help but glance over at Richie and I was amazed at how well he played. I wondered if anyone in the audience noticed the decidedly bluesy feel to the music, but I marveled at how playing the songs seemed to help Richie heal. He sang the most gut-wrenching version of ‘I’ll Be There for You’ I had ever heard and I prayed silently that his heart would eventually mend.

Jon caught my eyes on several occasions and I smiled encouragingly. I really was proud of him and I knew that the casual observer would never have guessed what he kept holding in check. He spotted Ellie and Pete in the front row and waived and I followed his gesture and smiled. He really did run a tight ship and he’d somehow remembered to make sure they had tickets waiting when they’d arrived.

The show was finally over and they played ‘Run, Run Rudolph’ for the final song and the crowd went nuts. The entire audience was singing along and I found myself joining in too as Eva and I sang from the sidelines. Jon gave the audience a crooked grin as he wished them all anything but a “silent night” and a very happy holiday and the band exited the stage. He caught me up in a sweaty embrace and I kissed him, feeling glad again that he was who he was. He really was a star.

Richie looked calmer and his features had softened. It seemed that the crowd’s adulation and the comfort of his guitar had been just the balm that he needed. After nearly twenty-five years of playing together, Jon did know what Richie needed and I wouldn’t doubt him again. We retired to the back of the stage and Jon grabbed a handful of cookies as he stripped off his shirt.

“Okay, it’s almost over, baby. Just one more performance and we can go home” he said soothingly.

“Jon, I’m okay. Really, I am. And you were right. Richie looks a lot better” I admitted.

“It’s all about the music, Trish. It always has been. Richie knows that” he said soberly.

The guys huddled together and discussed their approach with the media. They would try and keep as much of the spotlight as possible away from Richie, but he would need to say something and they all agreed it was best to be honest and get it over with. Armed with the brotherhood, Richie was ready to face the press.

Rick opened the door and the paparazzi spilled into the room like a flood. The flashbulbs were blinding and Jon kept his sunglasses on and they helped to disguise what the make-up I’d reapplied couldn’t hide. It was one of the first times I had seen a press conference where Jon wasn’t the focus, but he stepped up to the plate anyway.

“We would just like to thank the East Rutherford Salvation Army and the Red Bank Fire Department for offering to help distribute all the toys we collected tonight for the needy children and we’d like to thank all our fans for their generous donations” he began.

“Jon, over here!” shouted a man from the back.

“Yeah, Ralph! Merry Christmas!” Jon called back, recognizing the journalist.

“How much money do you think was raised tonight?” he asked and Jon beamed, glad for the opportunity to promote the charities that were benefiting from tonight’s ticket sales.

“Richie! What are your plans for the holidays now? We hear that you and your wife are separated” someone yelled from the crowd.

“Yes, we are. I’ll be heading back to California to spend Christmas Day with my daughter who I’m anxious to see” Richie said with a smile as he thought about Ava.

“What happened? We hear that you and Jon had a falling out over your wife” another question flew at him.

“We had a difference of opinion, that’s all, but once the facts came to light we resolved it. Next question” Jon cut in.

“Hey Richie! Are you and your wife going to try and work out your differences? Is it true that you’re separated?” someone else wanted to know.

“Unfortunately our differences are rather substantial. I think it is best that we admit that we made a mistake and move on” Richie replied curtly.

“Does that mean that it’s over between you?” a woman called out from the assembled crowd.

“What happens now is private between the parties involved. Please try and respect that everyone has families to consider” Jon interjected.

“Is everything okay between you and your wife?” a pushy little bald-headed man wanted to know as he thrust a microphone in Jon’s face.

Jon grabbed me and pulled me alongside of him as the flashbulbs went off and I cursed myself again for forgetting my shades. He kissed me and then flashed his most engaging smile to the crowd.

“Trish is baking me cookies tomorrow. What do you think?” he threw back as he squeezed my waist.

“But you’re helping me, mister!” I teased back and even the abrasive little man had to smile.

“Hey, we wanna help too!” David chimed in and then Tico got in the act.

“Me too! This I gotta see!” Tico added, raising his eyebrows.

“No way, man! My job’s gonna be to eat ’em all!” Jon winked at me.

“Selfish bastard!” Richie joined in and Jon held up his hand to signal that we were done.

“Have a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year! We’ll be back in 2007!” Jon announced and with that we were all done.

I breathed a sigh of relief as the worst was now over and we had all survived with our reputations intact and without having to share anymore information. The crew would be hanging around to party with a few fans that had made their way backstage, but our role was over. We hugged Tico and Eva, and David and Hugh as Richie ambled over towards us. He and Jon embraced too and Richie’s smile appeared genuine as he hugged me.

“Thanks, Trish, for helping distract them. But you are gonna save me some cookies, aren’t you?” he asked playfully and his eyes crinkled with warmth this time.

“You have my word!” I grinned and we all headed out toward the waiting limos.

Jon and I collapsed in the back seat and we both reached for the wine. He poured me a glass and smiled as Rick’s voice came over the speaker.

“Home, boss?”

“As fast as you can get us there” Jon answered.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving the story!!!! I check every day for updates! Please keep them coming!

Opester said...

Thanks Anon! I'm glad to know there are a few other readers in addition to the regular crew! I was beginning to have my doubts...it's so nice to hear from folks!

Sunstreaked said...

Another coffee and new chapter day! Surely I haven't mentioned before that this is my favorite way to start my day? (LOL!) Love the closeness between Richie and Jon and that Trish also wants what's best for him. I love the "brotherhood" these guys seem to have and respect both here and in real life that they don't air their dirty laundry.

I love Richie's rendition of I'll Be There For You and if he did one that sounds as heartfelt as you described and even more bluesy than normal - then I am now a HUGE puddle on the floor!

I swear woman, 191 chapters into a story and you STILL have me sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for more!

Anonymous said...

I also love the story and check every day... ok, sometimes more than once a day!! Not good at leaving comments, but rest assured I'm loving it ALL!

Opester said...

Thanks, Anon-I know sometimes it's hard to know what to say, but I check back too and it's nice to know that there are more than a few folks reading! I'm glad you are enjoying the story too!