Friday, June 27, 2008

The Sauna Part 200

The day after Christmas was quiet and peaceful. We slept in late and took a leisurely soak in the hot tub, enjoying the opportunity to be lazy. Since we’d returned from our trip, Jon’s life had resumed with breakneck speed and I missed the unhurried lifestyle we’d shared recently while we were away.

It was a pleasure to have a lazy day to ourselves, but by Saturday I was itching to browse the holiday sales. I had resolved to acquire a stockpile of Christmas decorations for next year and there was no better time to start, or so I told Jon. I missed the after Christmas shopping frenzy that I usually shared with my sister and he was less than enthused at the prospect.

“Are you sure you wouldn’t rather call Eva?” Jon groaned.

“It sounds like you would rather that I call Eva” I smiled, looking at him rather dubiously.

He raised his eyebrows and chuckled and I picked up the phone and called her. Actually, he was right. I missed having a girlfriend or sister to shop with and Eva was up for the trip. She said Tico looked equally grateful.

“You’re off the hook!” I informed Jon as I hung up the phone and he breathed a sigh of relief.

Eva arrived around noon and we drove to the city to begin our adventure. I could only imagine yesterday’s chaos as the stores were still jammed with shoppers looking for bargains. We had a blast together as the crowds seemed to energize us as we snatched at one sale item after another. It was a toss up as to which one of us was the worst and we giggled as we loaded the last bag into the trunk of her car.

“God, I missed this! I’m never shopping with Tico again!” Eva beamed.

“I hear ya, Eva. Jon would have been whining hours ago” I agreed.


*****************


The early part of the week passed in a blur as Jon became occupied with business and I began to get acquainted with the staff at the Fan Club. I found it rather curious that his mother was never available while I was around and there were questions and details that only she could have answered. Despite her lack of cooperation, I learned what I needed to know and I felt prepared to step in once she officially stepped down.

It was now Wednesday night and I began to feel a bit uneasy as Jon and I began getting ready for the retirement party. I knew that his mother would be surrounded by sycophants and I expected a bit of drama as she relinquished her throne unwillingly, but I was also a bit nervous about spending time with his brothers. They would both be there tonight, of course, and although I had met Tony and Matt already, I really didn’t feel that I knew them.

“How do your brothers feel about all of this, Jon?” I asked him as he zipped up my dress.

I had decided to wear the grey one I had bought some time ago and hadn’t yet worn. It was elegant, but not showy and I really wanted to appear as unobtrusive as possible. I had deliberately chosen my plainest pair of earrings and the only other jewelry I wore was the pentacle necklace from Jon which I’d never removed since he gave it to me on Christmas.

“Tony couldn’t care less, but Matt’s been involved all along and he really handles the business end of things. Don’t let him push you around, though, as this will be your operation from here on and I’ll support any decisions you make. I love my brother, but he’s more of a control freak than I am” Jon frowned.

I felt the knot in my stomach tighten as he confirmed what I already suspected. Matt had been around during the week to answer questions as I learned about the various aspects of the Fan Club, but to say he had been cool was an understatement. I knew there were things I intended to change, but I sensed the need to move slowly. The last thing I needed was for his brother’s nose to be out of joint too and I didn’t want him running to Jon with complaints as soon as I took the lead.

“You have no idea how glad I am to hear you say that, love. I will do my best not to ruffle any more feathers than necessary, but there are things I definitely plan to change” I replied.

“Baby, that’s why I put you in charge. I’ll talk to Matt more tonight and make sure he understands that you have complete authority over there and that I fully expect him to support your decisions” he reassured me.

“Okay, I guess I’m ready” I breathed, still fussing with my hair which I tended to do when I was agitated.

Jon placed his hands on my shoulders as he looked over me into the mirror. I met his eyes in the reflection and smiled wanly and he bent down to kiss my neck.

“You look beautiful, lady. Stop fussing” he said softly.

“It’s not too much, is it?” I said, suddenly doubtful and wondering if I had a plainer dress to wear.

“No, you’re perfect” he chuckled.

Jon knew that I was feeling intimidated tonight and he wasn’t used to seeing me quite that vulnerable, but he rather liked it in a strange sort of way. It was good to know that I needed him and he was more than willing to protect me if necessary. He knew how his family could be and he also knew how to handle them and he had no reservations about knocking his brother down a peg if he gave me any grief.

I stood up and turned to face Jon. He slipped his arms around my waist and drew me closer into his embrace. I felt myself begin to relax at the feel of his strength and I knew I could depend on him tonight. I actually liked the fact that he was rather protective towards me even if it did take some getting used to. He wasn’t throwing me to the wolves on my own and he’d be beside me every step of the way. I kissed him deeply and knew I was ready, come what may.

We reached Elements at about eight-thirty and stepped out of the limo together, arm in arm. The press was there as there had been a media release, thanks to Carol’s need for recognition, but at least they weren’t being allowed inside. The party was strictly for the staff of the Fan Club and family as Jon had already made that clear when he’d heard from a reporter earlier in the day.

Jon gave a statement to the assembled paparazzi and officially introduced me as the new head of the Fan Club and we made our way inside without further delay. It was already crowded inside and I quickly scanned the room for any familiar faces. I didn’t see Carol or Jon’s dad yet and I let out my breath I’d been holding. Leave it to Carol to be late since it was her last opportunity to make a grand entrance.

I heard a familiar voice suddenly and I turned as Richie sidled up alongside me. I felt his hand on my elbow as he leaned closer to whisper.

“Don’t worry, doll. I’ve got your back” he grinned as he kissed my cheek.

“Oh, Richie, thank Goddess. I’m so happy to see a friendly face” I gushed as he and Jon exchanged knowing looks.

“You look stunning, Trish” Richie said in a comforting voice and he winked at me just for good measure.

Okay, I can do this, I told myself resolutely. I loved Jon for inviting Richie for my sake and he was as much “family” as anyone else. I began to get irritated with myself for being so apprehensive and I squared my shoulders and flashed them both a brilliant smile. I began to feel my confidence returning and I touched the pendant between my breasts symbolically. Jon, Richie and the Goddess were all here with me tonight and I wasn’t alone. And the glass of wine that Jon thrust into my hand didn’t hurt either.

“A toast to the new head of Backstage” Matt announced suddenly and the three of us turned to see Jon’s brother standing there with his glass raised.

Where in the hell had he come from? He had a habit of sneaking up on me, I realized, and I wondered if it was intentional. I recovered my composure quickly, however, and raised my glass in response and smiled winningly.

“Hey, man, you’re here! Where’s mom? She’s late” Jon said irritably, checking his watch.

“You know mom. She’s probably outside making a statement and wooing the press. Anything for her dear Jonny” Matt said sarcastically.

I didn’t like the edge in his voice or the attitude it revealed and I was beginning to question just how much he resented Jon’s success. Perhaps Matt knew more of what went on day to day at the Fan Club then he let on and I wondered if he might be directly contributing to some of the backbiting I’d seen. My gut instinctively warned me not to trust him, but I hoped I was wrong.

Jon’s eyes had narrowed and it was apparent that Matt’s tone wasn’t lost on him either, but he chose not to respond to it. Instead he slipped his arm around me and I saw Matt smirk at the gesture. It was Jon’s subtle way of letting him know that I would serve as his eyes at the Fan Club.

“Well, you won’t need to cover for mom any longer now that Trish is involved. She’s not one to overlook responsibility in favor of attention” Jon added smoothly.

Damn, he was good. I had to hand it to him. Jon radiated power and he exuded self-confidence without seeming arrogant. I found myself smiling at the exchange and anticipating my role with some relish. Jon was no fool and he meant what he said about backing me up. Matt might be blood, but business was business and Jon wasn’t too pleased with how Matt had managed the club in his mother’s shadow.

“Hey, how’s everybody doing? Have you tried the buffet yet? Where’s mom?” Tony said as he joined us.

“Everything looks wonderful, Tony! We’re just waiting for Carol to arrive before we begin” I explained, stepping forward.

Tony gave me a hug and grinned at Jon and Richie, but only nodded at Matt. The dynamics were fascinating already, I thought shrewdly. Tonight was going to be quite a learning experience.

There was a commotion near the front door and without turning to look I knew that Carol had arrived. Jon met my eyes and we exchanged meaningful looks before taking deep breaths and smiling. Here we go, let the party begin.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely loving your story!!!! Can't tell you how many times I've almost been late for work after reading a new chapter in the morning before I leave!!!!! Keep up the great work!!!!

Queenie said...

Let the party begin indeed. I'm curious to see what is going to happen with the Fan Club now that Trish is taking over. I'm also dying to find out if Carole steps down quietly or if she goes kicking and screaming all the way.

Keep going Opester, I love this!

Sunstreaked said...

I am completely on pins and needles here! Love the new element of Matt thrown in - opens so many new possibilities! Gotta love Richie - always there - always got your back, what a friend. I'm so anxious to know how this plays out and I want as many details as possible!

Anonymous said...

ok, now I'm up to date with your story and I love it. you describe the characters and the conflicts so very detailed; sometime I feel like a sneaking looker.
and I can't wait for the next 200 chapters ;-)

Cathy said...

Great chapters Opester, just got caught up on the last few. I can't wait to see what havoc Carol creates!