Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Sauna Part 202

The rest of the evening felt like a cakewalk and I had a ball. Jon was thrilled at how we had charmed the staff of Backstage and now he was in a playful mood. His mother kept her distance and reveled in the attention she received from her own small gaggle of groupies and Jon and I teased one another relentlessly.

“So babe, are you going to spend all that passion at work or do you plan on saving some of it for me?” Jon grinned.

“When it comes to passion for you, love, my cup runneth over” I laughed.

“Hey, Tony, have you got an extra room for these two?” Richie piped in.

“You two were smokin’ up on that stage, bro! It looks like good ’ole Backstage is gonna be heating up pretty soon” Tony smiled approvingly.

“Just remember that there are children who visit Backstage, Trish, and people need to be respectful when it comes to their comments about Jon” Matt warned.

“I’m well aware of how the website is currently set up, Matt, but thank you for reminding me. I’ve been researching some options we can discuss at a later time” I said with a tone that didn’t invite argument as I met Matt’s gaze.

Jon hid his grin, but Richie made no such show of politeness. He found Matt somewhat insufferable at times and he took pleasure in jerking his chain.

“Aaawwww, Matt, I’m sure Trish isn’t planning to post her private collection of Jon in the sauna on the website” he said with mock sweetness and I pinched his arm.

“Richie! You promised you wouldn’t tell! You’ll spoil the surprise!” I teased.

Matt licked his lips indignantly and tried to smile pleasantly, but his performance was far from convincing and he really didn’t see the humor. I was surprised that Jon’s brother would be such a bastion of piety and it aroused my curiosity. What was lurking beneath that pursed little smile he was sporting? Was he jealous of the attention Jon received for his appearance? Matt was not unappealing in his own right, but he wasn’t likely to spawn the same level of lust that Jon could inspire. Perhaps Matt himself was the source of the restrictiveness that had characterized Backstage for so long.

“I think I’ll go and check in on mom and see how she’s holding up. Jon, would you join me?” he asked tightly.

“Sure, Matt, let’s go and see mom” Jon agreed as he excused himself from our group.

“What’s that all about?” I wondered aloud.

“Matt’s going to scold Jonny about yours and Richie’s behavior and the image it projects” Tony answered sarcastically.

“Yeah, Trish, didn’t you know that Jon is as pure as the driven snow?” Richie snorted.

“C’mon, guys! What gives? Jon’s no prude” I said seriously.

“No, Jonny’s not, but Matt can be. I’ll tell ya, I don’t know where that boy came from sometimes. Our parents were both marines, for Christ’s sake. I don’t know why he’s such a tightass!” Tony sputtered.

“Jon will set him straight” I said, hoping I was right.


********************


“Jonny, you need to speak to Trish about how she handles herself in public. She needs to be more careful and watch how she comes across or people are going to get the wrong impression” Matt chided.

“And what impression would that be?” Jon goaded him.

“Well, some people might think she’s crass rather than just naïve. It’s one thing in private, but …” Matt hesitated as he felt the heat from Jon’s glare.

“Is that what you think, Matt? Do you think that she’s crass or naïve?” Jon pushed him.

“Well, no, I didn’t mean that I thought that. I …” Matt stammered now.

“Good, I’m glad to hear that because Trish is neither crass nor naïve and her words were carefully chosen, just as mine were. And she’s my wife, bro” Jon said in a tone that left no doubt in Matt’s mind where his allegiance was.

“I understand, Jon. I won’t say any more” Matt said with contrition.

“Good, now let’s go and find mom” Jon smiled without much warmth.


********************


Jon returned about an hour later and we made the rounds together as he personally introduced me to some of the Backstage staff I hadn’t yet met. Many congratulated us on our marriage, but no one knew any details and Jon intended to keep it that way. Matt tended to avoid us and seemed to prefer his mother’s company and I wondered what sort of partnership we could forge when his loyalties seemed conflicted.

“Matt, you’ll keep me informed of what she’s doing to my Club, won’t you honey?” Carol slurred.

Jon’s mother had had quite a few 7 & 7’s by now and she was beginning to get rather hammered. Matt knew the signs, but he found himself drawn into Carol’s confidence and it didn’t matter that she was drunk. He craved her attention and he was willing to take it in any fashion it was offered.

“Of course, mom. Backstage will always be your Club and no one will forget that” he assured her.

“That’s my good boy” she said, her voice dripping with honey as she stroked his fragile ego.

“Jon will regret this decision. Trish is going to ruin his reputation and he can’t seem to see past what’s between her legs” Matt said disgustedly.

“There, there, honey. Jon needs you to keep an eye on things for him so that trash he married doesn’t ruin everything we’ve built” she said soothingly.

“I can’t stand her, mom. What does Jonny see in her? He didn’t need to do this. We had everything under control, didn’t we?” he replied conspiratorially.

“Yes, we did and we will again soon. Don’t you worry, honey” she purred back.

Matt smiled at his mother affectionately. She trusts me and she depends on me and I won’t disappoint her. I’ll show her who’s loyal and eventually Jon will come to see his error. I’ll go along with his decision for now. I can wait. That bitch will fuck things up and I’ll be there to fix it and Jon will realize how stupid he is once he sees what a mess that wife of his makes. I’ll make sure of it.


*********************



It was finally time to go home. We had mingled with the staff and made sure we had said hello to everyone. Most of the people I had met seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the change, but I was careful to note those who seemed merely polite. I also made sure to notice who spent most of the evening fawning over Carol and I was sorry to have to include Matt among those I would have to watch carefully. I didn’t share my observations with Jon, though, as I knew he trusted me to manage things and it was one less thing he needed to worry about. I was determined to make him proud of me.

“Ready to head home, baby? I’ve had enough business for tonight” Jon breathed in my ear as I felt his hand covet my ass.

“I’m ready, love. Let’s say goodnight to Richie and your family” I agreed.

We made our way back to Tony and Richie who were sitting at the bar chatting and entertaining a couple of the women from Backstage. I was glad to see Richie engaging in the flirtatious behavior he was so famous for, but I could tell that his heart wasn’t really in it. His eyes still looked sad when they met mine and I could see the relief on his face when we announced we were leaving.

“I think I’m ready to head out too. Mom still waits up for me and she’s getting too old for these late nights” he grinned as he excused himself from the disappointed women.

“Richie, I just wanted to thank you again for being here tonight. It really meant a lot to me and it helped more than you know when I looked out in the crowd and saw you there with that silly grin” I smiled.

“Glad to do it, Trish. And I think there are at least a few folks at Backstage who will welcome a breath of fresh air” Richie replied as he hugged me back. “I’ve been singing your praises all night” he smiled back.

“Aaawww, Richie, can I hire you as my PR agent?” I teased.

“Don’t worry, Trish. I think you won over a few folks tonight on your own” he said comfortingly.

“Here, Jonny, take this for later! I can see you’re anxious to get home and celebrate” Tony chuckled as he thrust a bottle of expensive champagne into Jon’s hands.

“Thanks for understanding, bro! And thanks for such an outstanding job tonight. Everything was perfect” Jon said and I nodded.

We walked towards the door and Richie said his farewell when we stopped to say goodnight to Carol, John and Matt. Jon’s dad looked impatient and I could see he’d had his fill for the night, but Carol was loathe to relinquish her throne just yet. Her groupies made way for us as we approached her to take our leave.

“Mom, we’re heading out and we wanted to say goodnight” Jon began.

“Oh, Jonny! So soon? It’s still early” she whined and his dad rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, mom, it’s been a long night” Jon said evenly as I looked sympathetically at his dad.

“It was wonderful to see you again, John, and I’ll remember your advice” I winked and he smiled.

“Take good care of this one, son. She’s a keeper” he said to Jon as he winked back at me.

“Don’t you worry, dad. I’ve no intention of letting her go” he beamed as he hugged me.

“Jonny, it isn’t even midnight yet! Aren’t you at least gonna stay to wish everyone a Happy New Year?” Carol protested.

“Not this time, mom. I’ll leave that to you” he replied. “Trish and I have our own plans for celebrating” he smirked.

“Well then, you’d better hurry” Matt interrupted, checking his watch.

“Goodnight, Carol, and again, thank you for all you’ve done to make the Fan Club so successful over the years. I know how much your support has meant to Jon and I look forward to carrying on the tradition of family involvement” I said cordially.

“Yes, family is the key element as we all have Jon’s best interests in mind” Matt emphasized.

“Absolutely” I agreed. “I look forward to working with you, Matt, and I’m glad to know you’ll be there to help ease this transition for the staff” I added.

“I’ll always be there for Jon” he said with a thin-lipped smile.

“Thanks, Matt. I appreciate everything you’ve done and I’ll be grateful for any way that you can serve Trish in her new role as head of the Fan Club” Jon said pointedly and I nearly winced myself at the obvious implication.

“We’d better get a move on if we want to be home in time for New Year’s” I coaxed, trying to ease the tension.

I was pleased at Jon’s support, but I didn’t want him to bludgeon Matt with the reality either. I knew there was plenty of resentment already and the repeated reminders that Matt would no longer be running things in absentia would only strengthen it. I needed to find a way to win Matt over on my own, not have his head handed to me on a platter.

“Thanks for everything, mom. I really meant what I said up on that stage” Jon concluded and she hugged him, albeit a bit unsteadily.

“I would do anything for you, Jonny, you know that! I’m so proud of you! You’re the best son any mother could wish for” she gushed and I flinched again. Poor Matt!

“You certainly are fortunate, Carol, to have three sons who have all been so successful in their own right. You have so many reasons to feel proud” I interjected.

Matt looked a little surprised, but I knew it would take a lot more than that to salve his bruised ego. But it was a start. Somehow I needed to forge a bond with him and it would be easier now that I could empathize a little with what drove him. He was starved for Carol’s recognition and I could imagine how painful a mother’s favoritism could be.

“Well, yes, of course. Goodnight now you two” Carole said dismissively and I hoped that she might have a glimmer of insight into how her words had wounded her other son.

Finally we were able to break away from the family and escape the crowd. The limo was waiting and we both breathed a sigh of relief as Jon shut the door and locked it. It had been a difficult night and we both were happy to be able to relax and unwind. Jon loosened his tie and I snuggled against him, sighing again.

“Alone at last” he chuckled promisingly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Yes, we did and we will again soon. Don’t you worry, honey” she purred back."

UHOH, that sounds really bad, I´m a bit scared about what will happen now.
Can´t stand his mom in this story, she just want to be center of attention everytime and everywhere.

Can just say, poor Matt, trys to get Mommies attention in any kind of way. God, I feel with him (but that doesn´t mean, I like the way he behaves)

Great chapter here

Trina

Opester said...

Thanks Trina! (By the way, I love your name)She does seem like Mommy dearest, doesn't she? I can't stand her character either and I created her, LOL!

Sunstreaked said...

Okay, I think I'm going nuts! I swear I left a comment earlier but it's gone poof! So here goes...WHAT THE HELL is big bad momma planning? And is Matt going to aid her? And how DARE she pit her sons against each other? OOOH! I am in a smackin' mood!

Great chapters here, keeping me SO hooked and SO nuts trying to figure out what's gonna happen!