Friday, July 4, 2008

The Sauna Part 205

Elaine sat in the café, trembling with fury as she read my post and began pounding a reply on her laptop. She swore loudly, attracting attention, as her access was denied and she realized how futile her efforts had been. She seethed with impotent rage, as she watched the sudden rash of posts condemning her behavior and questioning her identity.

“Bitch!” she spat into the air as she began to pack up her things and log off the computer.

Richie’s PI wasn’t the only one who had spotted Elaine. A strange woman who had been watching from across the room stood up and approached her now. Elaine looked up then and glared as the woman proceeded to speak.

“You’re Richie Sambora’s wife, Elaine, aren’t you? I’m so sorry for what’s happened and I believe you got a raw deal. Can we talk?” she asked sympathetically.

Elaine eyed her suspiciously, wondering who she could trust now that she’d just been duped on Backstage. But the woman’s friendly demeanor disarmed her and she needed all the friends and allies she could muster right now. She settled back in her chair and regarded the woman across from her.

“What do you want?” she asked with an attitude.

“I’d like to help you. I can offer you an opportunity to share your side of the story, if you’re interested, and I can pay you for your trouble” the woman began.

Elaine’s eyes lit up now and the woman had her attention. She smiled engagingly as the woman explained that her name was Carolyn and she worked for the National Enquirer. She went on to share that she was committed to giving Elaine the chance to tell her tale and be heard, assuring her that she was dedicated to being an objective journalist.

Elaine didn’t believe her for a moment, but this was a Godsend. Maybe she could still reach Richie through the press and lord, she needed the money. Richie loved her once and she could make him love her again if only she could reach him.

“How much money are you proposing?” she inquired sweetly.

“I can give you a check today for $2 Grand” Carolyn offered.

“My legal expenses are high and that won’t last very long. I’m sure that my story would be worth more than that” Elaine replied shrewdly.

“Let me call my editor and see if we can work something out” Carolyn smiled.

She phoned her boss and excused herself to discuss the situation in private. Elaine ordered another coffee and a chocolate dessert now that her appetite was returning. She began to think through the story she wanted to share. Just wait, Jon and Trish, just you wait she smiled to herself. She licked her lips as she poured cream in her coffee. Carolyn returned a few moments later as Elaine was nibbling on her dessert.

“I’ve been authorized to offer you $10 Grand for an exclusive interview as my editor wants to be able to share the truth with our readers” she grinned.

“Now that’s more like it” Elaine purred contentedly. “Where would you like to begin?” she asked solicitously.



******************


“I’m so glad we were able to do that for Richie! What a relief” I said as I turned to Jon.

“Yeah, I’m glad someone will be keeping an eye on her from now on, especially with her being so close and right here in Asbury Park. I still think it would be a good precaution to hire some security here for safety’s sake while I’m gone. After seeing the garbage she posted, who knows what she’s capable of?” Jon said thoughtfully.

“Baby, I don’t need a security guard! Elaine isn’t dangerous” I laughed.

“She hasn’t been dangerous, you mean. I don’t like the idea of leaving you here alone” he insisted.

“I wasn’t planning to head out to Colorado until after I come back from Germany, but I could go there after you leave if you’d feel better” I suggested.

“What about the cats? Who will stay with them out there when you come over for a few days?” he asked.

“I’ve been thinking about that actually. They’ll be okay by themselves for a few days at a stretch; I’ve left them before over long weekends. But I was planning to look into a pet sitting service too and if I could find one out there, it might give us some options for an extended reunion” I proposed.

Jon raised his eyebrows and smiled. I had been thinking about long term solutions, particularly if we made Colorado our primary residence like we’d intended. I knew there were services like this and it seemed like an answer to our prayers, although I still didn’t want to leave the cats for lengthy periods on a regular basis.

“I’m likin’ that idea a whole lot” he grinned as he leaned down to nuzzle my neck.

I shut down the computer and stood up and Jon wrapped his arms around me in a bear hug. I kissed him hard on the lips and he scooped me up and carried me off to the bed where we spent the remainder of the afternoon. The phone could ring off the hook for all we cared; it was our time to ourselves and we needed it.


**********************


“How about Chinese for dinner? That way neither of us needs to get out of bed” Jon chuckled.

“That works for me! I’m not feeling anxious to get up either” I giggled.

We ordered our dinners and soup from the place that was nearby and snuggled under the covers to wait. Eddie was curled up just above Jon’s head and Opie was snoring loudly at our feet. Even Zeke snuck in under the covers for a nap and we were all quite cozy together.

“You know, I never thought I would say this, but I’m even gonna miss the furry little devils” Jon observed ruefully.

“See, they do grow on you” I smiled contentedly.

“It feels like a family” he replied wistfully.

I laid my head on his chest and stroked the soft fur that I so loved. Jon stretched and pretended to purr and Eddie raised his head and regarded him with speculation. We both caught the look and it made us both laugh.

“I see why they purr now” Jon smirked.

Our food arrived and I threw on my robe and answered the door, realizing how hungry I was now that it was here. I grabbed some silverware on my way back to the bed and topped off the cat food, hoping the monsters would be satisfied enough to leave us to eat in peace. I hopped back in bed and we proceeded to devour our dinners, feeding each other as we savored the time together.

After we’d finished, we showered and dressed and Jon returned phone calls while I started packing for Colorado. I could effectively run the Fan Club and the Foundation from anywhere thanks to the wonders of modern technology and I was beginning to look forward to a private retreat in the new house.

I turned on the TV and made myself comfy while I waited for Jon to wrap up his business for the night. I was surfing the channels when he finally joined me, carrying two glasses of wine and a bottle under his arm.

“Anything good on the Tube?” he asked.

“Criminal Minds should be coming on shortly, but I can’t find the right channel. I still haven’t gotten used to the change in the stations” I answered.

“Here. Let me” he offered as he handed me the wine and I passed him the remote.

We settled in for the evening, enjoying the normalcy of our Wednesday routine now that the holidays were over and things had begun to fall into place again. There were days when I had many reminders that Jon was a rock star and a multi-million dollar mega mogul and then there were times when he seemed like a regular husband. I had come to love every side of him and tonight was no exception.

We watched our shows and began to get sleepy as the news finally came on. I stretched and yawned and Jon clicked off the channel and we got ready for bed. I brushed my teeth and washed up while he turned off the lights and filled up the food bowls and shucked off his clothes. We climbed into bed and snuggled under the blankets and fell asleep wrapped in the cloak of an ordinary evening.

8 comments:

Daydreamer- said...

Hi Opester! Thanks so much for leaving comments on my story. I have your story bookmarked and it's going to be the next one I start. Right now I'm reading two others and I find that it's hard to keep them straight when I try to read too many at once.

I replied to your question on Chapter 7 in my comments section - when you have time, check it out!

I'm looking forward to reading yours. I love the picture you chose for the title of your page - WOW.

Anonymous said...

OMG Opester, I can't believe how Elaine is turning out. I have a feeling she is going to get really nasty, and not only with Richie. I think they are all in for a bumpy ride. This is so good!

Anonymous said...

I thought the chapter was great, but I don't like this 'National Enquirer' women.

Sheena

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of the little boy swinging a rosery around in church saying "Hang on Jesus your going for a ride!"

I have been remiss and had to read two chapters to catch up.

Loved it! Going to have to mover my bookmarks around so I don't miss this one again.

Alice Faye

Sunstreaked said...

Holy Scorned Woman, Batman!

National Enquirer? The birdcage-liner paper? Oh no! They will print ANYTHING and Elaine is gonna make this bad! Is she gonna let out some of the "secrets" of the band, like Richie and Jon "sharing" women in the past? Things Jon and Richie's kids could see? Is she that mean?


Ok, Elaine thinks she can get Richie to love her again? And she thinks she can do this by attacking Jon in any way? Does the woman know nothing? Those two are tighter than real brothers and I'm not sure even Trish should try pitting one against the other, but I KNOW Elaine shouldn't.

I see a big, HUGE mistake coming and woo-hee is it gonna be fun!

Great, great chapters, babe, I'm so enthralled here lately that I'm reading each one TWICE!

Opester said...

LOL, Alice! I never heard that one before! But yeah, hang on and come along for the ride!
Thanks Sun, as always and Sheena and Lori- I'm always so happy to see you guys heremakes me feel like Norm, walking in Cheers everytime I open my email to see comments from the gals!

Anonymous said...

this grandmothre had decided to take her grandson into church with her. To keep him from being antsy she hands him her rosery.

Things were going really well until she kept hearing this clicking sound. Pretty soon everyone in the congrigation heard it. Turning she sees her grandson standing in the pew with the rosery on his finger. the rosery is swinging around and around and around...not even the priest is talking now. You finally hear this little boy say.....

hang on Jesus your going on a ride!

Joke told to me by the mother of a Catholic Priest!

Alice Faye who never forgets a joke! Ask her about her Jay Osmond Joke she's hear all month out from work on workmans comp!

Anonymous said...

I'm heading on vacation for a few days, but will SOOOO look forward to catching up (again!!) when I return!! I'm becoming quite a speed reader now that I have found fan fiction!!

Have a great week everyone!

Linda