Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Sauna Part 210

I set the alarm to get up at three, knowing I needed time in the morning to pack up the cats and get a good dose of caffeine before leaving the house. I missed being spoiled with the private plane now that I had to arrive so early, but at least I could call a limo and avoid the hassle of parking.

It was still dark when I rose and I turned on the light. Even the cats looked sleepy as they blinked at me and followed me out to the kitchen. I started the coffee and fed them their breakfast while I jumped in the shower and bathed all alone, missing Jon that much more as I washed. After I finished, I hurried out to the kitchen, anxious to begin the caffeine transfusion while I dried my hair.

I threw on my jeans and a sweater and stuffed my make-up into my cosmetics bag and checked the time. It was quarter to four and the limo would be arriving momentarily. It was time to gather the cats and pray. I went for Zeke first as the others were wimps in comparison. If I could get Zeke in a cage by myself, I knew I’d be blessed. It took nearly ten minutes and three failed attempts before I managed to get him inside a carrier, but not without bloodshed.

I was examining my wounds when I heard the beep in the driveway. The worst was over and I had won the fight as four furry devils, in Jon’s words I thought, smiling, were packaged and ready to roll. The driver helped me load all the bags and carriers into the limo and we were on our way by ten after four, serenaded by a cacophony of miserable beasts.

Once we arrived at the airport, I felt like a traveling circus as I hauled them all onto the luggage cart and checked in. The flight attendant at the counter grinned as we tagged all the carriers and I checked all the bags. I could hear them all screaming as I walked away with my ticket in hand and searched for a place to get coffee. I had less than thirty minutes to wait before boarding and I managed to down two more cups and one of the kitty tranquilizers I had obtained from a vet after the first experience flying from Buffalo. It started to kick in by the time we boarded the plane and I was grateful that the stewardess let me check on the cats before we took off. They were purring contentedly and I had to agree that the kitty drugs were damn good as I made my way back to my seat and fell asleep soon after take-off.


**********************


It was just after noon in Scotland when Jon called my cell phone and started to worry when I didn’t answer. He checked on the time again and then phoned the airport and learned that the flight had left on schedule. He confirmed that I had checked in and waited until two before trying again and I answered.

“Trish? Is everything okay? I tried calling earlier but you didn’t pick up” Jon said somewhat nervously.

“I’m fine, baby, really. I took one of those tranquilizers the vet gave me for the cats and it knocked me out too” I grinned.

“You took one of the cats’ pills?” he asked incredulously.

“Yeah, it’s okay. It’s the same stuff they give people” I explained.

“I take it that the morning didn’t go smoothly then?” he frowned.

“The scars will heal eventually, but Zeke may never forgive me” I laughed.

“Shit. I’ll tell Richie to have a word with him” he laughed back.

“How are things going over there? How’s the weather?” I yawned, flagging the stewardess for some coffee.

“It hasn’t stopped raining since we landed and my allergies are killing me” he admitted.

“Did you remember your pills?” I wondered.

“Yeah, but they don’t help as much as I’d hoped. I think I’m gonna take a nap before the sound check. Call me when you get to the house, okay, doll?” he said, sounding sleepy now too.

“It should be just before seven over there when I get in. Get some rest, love. I’ll call you just before the show, okay?” I replied.

“I love you” he yawned.

“Ditto” I smiled.

I took a sip of my coffee and realized that it sure wasn’t Timmy’s. I missed the way Vicky had spoiled me on Jon’s plane as it was easy to get used to the rock star special treatment. I was glad I had packed a can in my suitcase before I left and soon I’d be home where I could make a fresh pot. I settled back for the remainder of the flight and closed my eyes.

*****************


After an arduous time at the airport, the cats and I were finally on our way to the house. The sedatives had worn off for all of us and I was wide awake to enjoy the loud screaming all the way home from the airport. When we arrived at the house, the cab driver gratefully helped deposit the carriers inside the door before even touching my luggage and I tipped him handsomely in exchange for his patience.

I immediately set up the new litter box we had purchased on the way home and released the beasts who took turns using their new equipment before racing around to explore their new surroundings. I filled up a couple bowls with food and water before starting a fresh pot of coffee and picking up the phone to call Jon. It was just after seven-thirty in England and he’d be at the venue by now and preparing to go on stage.

“Trish? Are you all home? Did everyone make it okay?” Jon asked anxiously.

“Yep, we’re all here, present and accounted for. How much time before you go on stage?” I replied.

“I’ve got a few minutes yet-the show can’t begin without me and the warm-up act is still playing” he assured me.

I could hear the music in the background even despite the rather poor connection and I checked the clock. We still had a little time. I poured myself a cup of the coffee just as it finished brewing and sighed. Aaahhhhh, it was good to be home.

“The monsters are searching the house now, but we made it without any accidents, but they all needed a trip to the litter box first thing. Are your allergies any better, love?” I asked.

“A bit, but I think the nap helped the most. What time is it there now?” he asked.

“It’s only one o’clock here, but it’s three o’clock Jersey time” I yawned, thinking a nap sounded like an appealing idea.

“Richie says hey, babe, and he promises to have a word with Zeke next time before he leaves” he chuckled.

“Tell him thanks and that Zeke says hello” I grinned as the cat brushed by me on his way to the food bowl now. “Is everything going okay there, Jon?” I wondered, sensing his reluctance to say goodbye.

“I miss you, lady” he whispered into the phone.

“I miss you too” I agreed sadly as the house still felt empty without him despite the four felines who were still surveying their new territory.

“I gotta go, Trish. The crew is getting antsy. Should I call after the show?” he asked reluctantly.

“I’ll be here” I grinned and with that we said goodbye for the moment.

6 comments:

Queenie said...

Oooh you sneak, there was two chapters for me to read this morning. Yay!

I'm just wondering if having Jim there is going to be such a good idea. I hope he behaves himself and doesn't try to mess with Trish.

Great chapters Opester! Looking forward to more.

Sedona Sunrise said...

Lovin the story so far, cant wait for more! I put a link to your site on my page hope you don't mind? if its a problem just let me know and I'll take it down.

Anonymous said...

Oohh! Two chapters! You are the best! I am so feeling for Trisha right now. My husband was in the Navy for 10 years and separations suck!

Oh but the reunions are really good :)

Linda

Sunstreaked said...

Last time I tried getting my girl cat into a carrier she just about killed me! So I empathize with Trish!

So wondering how this separation will go - are they really ready for this? I think it's gonna get old FAST!

A few more before vacation, right?

And, how's Richie doin'?

Anonymous said...

Wooooohooooow, two new chapters online. That saved my day :-D

Opester, do with my name and Richie whatever you want (hehe). I´ll feel a bit like Richies girlfriend or whatever your muse is telling you.

And there is really a missing part with Trish. Wanna have Jon back with her. God, hope time will fly...

Trina

Opester said...

Thanks folks for all the great feedback! I'll post a few more chapters before we leave next week on vacation-we won't be gone all that long-just a few days!