Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Sauna Part 176

We arrived at the house around two o’clock and Dot came out to say hello. Stephanie was anxious to get me shopping, so we didn’t stay, but I was glad to have gotten the first meeting out of the way. She suggested a couple places to shop and Stephanie knew the way, so I decided to give it a shot and drive to the city myself. It was time I learned my way around and I thought I might actually be more comfortable with Steph than with Jon for the first time. He handed me the keys and Steph hopped in the car, urging me to hurry up.

Stephanie was bubbling with excitement about the wedding and I hated to burst her bubble, but I wanted her to understand that this wasn’t intended to be a gala affair and that we really needed to keep it quiet in order to avoid the press getting wind of it. She nodded that she understood, but shared what she’d been thinking.

“I’m glad that you and dad are getting married as it means you’ll be sticking around. I know I wasn’t so thrilled in the beginning, but I like you and well, mom’s got a boyfriend now too. It means you’ll both be happy” she said as she looked straight ahead, appearing to watch the road.

I wondered if I should tell her about the Handfasting, but I decided it was really Jon’s place to decide that. I also knew that would be a lengthy discussion and I needed to focus on driving as I had never driven in New York City before, or even in New Jersey for that matter. I smiled at Stephanie and thanked her, acknowledging how glad I was to be marrying her dad as well as to have her in my life too and she grinned.

Stephanie was a good navigator and we managed to arrive at Adriennes in just over an hour. I was grateful for the fact that there was parking available as I hadn’t needed to parallel park in years and I didn’t relish the thought of testing that skill now. We entered the store and were greeted by a pleasant looking woman in her thirties. Stephanie immediately ran to the wedding gowns and I explained that I was looking for something special, but not necessarily a wedding dress as I thought wearing white would be inappropriate to say the least.

Stephanie made a face when she heard me and I laughed as she looked so much like her father as she made duck lips. Maybe it was genetic I thought as I tried to imagine the expression on Jon’s mother and decided it must have come from his dad. The woman showed us an assortment of gowns and I rather liked the lavender satin one that seemed elegant. I tried it on, but decided it wasn’t really me as I wasn’t the elegant type. I tried on a number of others at Stephanie’s insistence, but nothing really inspired me and we decided to try another shop.

We spent the afternoon browsing and decided to stop and grab dinner as I was hungry and Steph was thirsty. We stopped at a nice restaurant as the area offered little besides rather high end establishments. I explained a bit more to Steph about what I was looking for and we chatted about the trip to Colorado and I told her we had purchased the house and was anxious for her to come and visit.

“Will you and dad be moving?” she asked, looking a bit disappointed.

“We’ll be living there some of the time but we don’t have any plans to sell your dad’s place here or my place in Gowanda. I’m not sure how it will all work out just yet, but I think I’ll stay in Colorado while your dad is in Europe” I explained.

“You aren’t going to go with him?” she questioned.

“Not for any long periods I’m afraid since we have the cats. I can’t leave them all alone all the time” I replied.

“Sort of like us kids, huh?” she responded wisely.

“Yeah, just like that, Steph” I smiled.

We finished our dinners and considered where to try next. I wondered whether the shop that Jon and I had visited at Eva’s suggestion might have something as I’d liked so many things there already. Stephanie had already found the dress she wanted to wear and I was glad she’d found something herself.

“Do you mean Helga’s?” she asked excitedly.

“Yes, do you know how to get there?” I wondered.

“Oh sure! Let’s go” she beamed and with that we were on our way.

I was tickled to see Helga was there and she smiled warmly when she saw me approach her. If I couldn’t find the right dress here with her help then it didn’t exist I thought ruefully. I told Helga what the occasion was and described what I had in mind and she looked delighted.

“You’re fiancé? He is not here vith you today?” she inquired with an amused look.

“Not today, but I have Steph with me and she is his daughter” I replied and Helga nodded knowingly.

“Come vith me” she instructed and we followed her towards the back room where there were a number of new items that hadn’t even been tagged yet.

I knew we had found the dress before Helga even took it off the rack. I spied it immediately and caught my breath as she reached for it and I heard Stephanie sigh at my side. It was an exquisite gown in a light cream color with lace everywhere. The sleeves were completely lace and it had a full sweep with an uneven hem and I thought it could have been made for Guinevere herself.

“Try it on, try it on!” Stephanie prompted excitedly.

Helga handed me the dress, which was actually quite heavy with seed pearls and brocade at the bodice and layers of fabric which gave it the fullness I loved. I knew it would fit, but I was anxious to try it on too and I was glad it would be a surprise for Jon. I slipped it on in the dressing room with Stephanie and she nodded her assent and Helga concurred.

“You look like a queen!” Steph breathed with another sigh and I felt like one too.

“It is stunning on you” Helga offered and I had to agree.

We went to checkout and for once I didn’t even hesitate at the price. It was a magnificent creation and it couldn’t have been more perfect. For a moment I almost wished for once that the paparazzi would be there, but I knew we could have Richie take photos instead. I was beginning to feel like a bride now and I was glad Stephanie had made me accept that this event was special after all.

It was dark now as we headed back to the house and the traffic had actually grown heavier. People were headed away from the city, returning to their homes in the suburbs and it seemed as though everyone was in a hurry. We had stopped at a traffic light when suddenly a car came careening down the street and rear-ended us. I put out my arm to protect Stephanie, but the airbag deployed and we were both struck with the force of the blow. The airbag itself knocked the wind from our lungs and I felt a moment of panic.

We were both okay and undamaged, but the car was in no condition to drive and I had no idea what to do next. I called Jon immediately and told him what happened as we got out of the car and I shot an angry glance toward the man who’d hit us.

“Shit! Are you and Steph okay? I don’t give a rat’s ass about the car, but did either of you get hurt?” Jon demanded.

“No, love, we’re fine, but the airbags went off and I don’t think we can drive the car. What should I do and where is your insurance card and registration? I hear the cops now” I asked hurriedly.

It’s all in the glove compartment. Where are you? I’ll be right there!” he sputtered.

I didn’t really know where we were and Stephanie asked for the phone and I handed it to her. I saw the lights as the police car arrived and I dug in the glove box and found the necessary paperwork. I was too angry to even go over to the other driver who was sitting on the curb with his head in his hands.

“No dad, we’re fine, really. Just come and get us, okay?” she said calmly as she described where we were.

The cops took our statement and charged the other driver with a DWI and it was obvious he was intoxicated when he stood up and staggered. An ambulance arrived too but there really was no need and I refused to go to the hospital or do anything until Jon arrived. He pulled up a short while later and ran over to us and hugged me and Stephanie. We explained what had happened and I stopped Jon when he made a move to approach the other driver.

“Let the cops handle it, love. We need you right now” I pleaded and he relented, turning his attention to us.

The paramedics had checked us out and while we were shaken, we weren’t damaged. The impact had been hard, but we were actually more startled by the airbags then the jolt to the car and I wondered if we both had bruised ribs from the airbags. I was anxious to get home now and I knew Dot would be anxious to see Steph and know she was okay for herself even though Jon had called to tell her we were okay after seeing it for himself. We piled in the BMW and headed back to Rumson after Jon had arranged for the car to be towed away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked Stephanie's attitude in this chapter. I also liked the relationsip Trish and Stephanie had together.

Sheena

Opester said...

Me too, Sheena! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Like the camaraderie between Trish and Stephanie. It's nice to see that they get along and that Steph is happy that Trish will be joining the family. Still remember when they first met and the 'cold' reception that Steph gave Trish...bbbrrrr
Trish's dress sounds so nice - not a white dress sort of person myself.
A bit scary when Trish and Steph got rear ended but all turned out well.

Sunstreaked said...

I swear it's a known fact, every woman just 'knows' when she's found the wedding gown that's perfect for her! Your descriptions brought back memories of my own wedding 24 years ago (thanks for that!).

Love how Stephanie has come to accept Trish and even more so that Dot is "letting" Trish take her out. Shows a real acceptance and a healing moving on by everyone.

Glad they were both okay, but I know how twisty and turny these stories can get so...whatcha gonna do next girl?

Opester said...

Thanks Ladies! I appreciate your comments and I'm happy to portray Dot and the kids in a positive light! I don't see how anything else would be believable!