Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Sauna Part 164

We rose at the crack of dawn, anxious to get an early start. We showered quickly while the coffee brewed and we were dressed and ready to hit the road before the morning chill had even begun to wear off. Jon went outside and warmed up the car while I poured the last of the coffee into two travel mugs and grabbed a bag with some snacks. I reached for my sunglasses to keep the sun from blinding me as it reflected off the glistening snow. We put a southern rock CD in the radio and we were on our way.

We drove for a couple of hours, enjoying the scenery as we went. It was the first time I had seen this part of the country in winter and the snow covered pines were magnificent. I wondered what Sedona would look like this time of year compared to the blistering hundred degree temperatures I remembered when I had visited last.

“Ooohhh! Pull over, pull over!” I squealed excitedly as Jon followed my eyes towards a small shop tucked off to the side of the road. “Look! See the Christmas trees made out of deer antlers!” I gushed enthusiastically.

“That’s pretty wild” Jon agreed as he put the car in park.

The store was closed unfortunately, but I grabbed the camera and snapped a few photos of the life-sized tree monuments made of antlers. The animals shed their antlers in the Fall and I had heard you could collect them just by walking through the woods at the right time of year. Jon insisted on taking a picture of me in front of the tree and we walked about, noticing all the antlers that had been collected in large piles outside the shop.

The shop owner had heard the car door and looked out the window of his home next door and saw us and decided to see what all the fuss was about. Jon and I were still exclaiming our delight when I heard footsteps crunching on the frozen ground as he approached.

“Can I help you folks? You’re not from around here, are you?” he inquired pleasantly.

“We saw the wonderful sculptures made of the antlers here and just had to stop and get a picture” I explained and the man smiled.

“These? I made them years ago when I was trying to find a use for all these antlers my kids kept dragging home. Would you like to go inside and see the others my wife has used in her crafts?” he offered, pleased to get recognition for his work.

“Absolutely” Jon grinned as he thanked the man and they exchanged a knowing wink.

I was completely astonished as we entered the store and realized it was chalk full of the most unique creations I had ever seen. I stopped in front of an enormous sculpture resembling an eagle and caught my breath.

“That is amazing” Jon agreed, slipping an arm about my waist.

“This one here, this is my favorite” the owner commented as he led us through towards the back of the store.

“Wow!” Jon and I both said in unison.

There before us was an enormous moose made completely of deer antlers. Jon’s head came just even with the shoulders of the magnificent beast and I reached out to touch it, as it looked too perfect to be real. The man told us how he and his wife had worked on this one together and that there were fourteen hundred antlers that they had used to create it. He explained that it was the only piece that was not for sale and invited us to browse through the store while he waited.

Jon and I took our time as we walked through, making sure to check out every unique piece before we made our selections. The owner explained that the larger pieces were designed to go outside and would hold up well through the weather. They would just become whiter over time as the sun bleached the antlers.

The largest one we chose, an enormous bear on his haunches, was way too big to get in the car and the man offered to make arrangements to have it delivered in a week or so for an additional fee and Jon readily agreed. I chose a few smaller pieces for the house and we spotted a candelabra for Richie and Elaine as a wedding gift. Jon thanked the man heartily for all his help and his offer to ship or transport our purchases. I asked for his card and again expressed how thoroughly impressed we were with his talent and that of his wife. Once we were back in the car, Jon put his hand on my knee and shook his head as he smiled.

“I have to admit I’m grateful for your eagle eyes when it comes to shopping. I would have driven right by if you hadn’t spotted that place. That was real talent back there” he admitted as we drove on our way.

“I wasn’t sure what I’d seen at first, but I knew I had to get a closer look. I am so tickled the owner was home and opened the store for us. I’ve never seen anything quite like that” I nodded, glad I had taken photos inside the shop as well.

The rest of the trip passed uneventfully and we arrived in Sedona near dinner time, just as the sun was setting. The view was spectacular with the snow-covered mountain peaks off in the distance set against the blaze of the dying sun. But the red rocks of Sedona, blood red now against the azure sky, took my breath away. Jon stopped the car again as we climbed out and stood there together, taking in the entire scene.

It was still warm here and the temperature was quite mild; Jon guessed it must have been around fifty degrees. I pulled out the camera and took a few photos as I wanted to capture every step of our journey and Jon flashed me his rock star smile as I turned the camera in his direction. I posed for a few photos too as I perched on the nearest boulder and felt the energy from the sun radiating from its surface. I laughed as I could have heard Jon’s stomach growling from miles away.

“Are you hungry, husband?” I teased as I slid my hand under his shirt and rubbed his belly affectionately and Jon made duck lips at me.

“Yeah, I’m starving” he nodded and we climbed back in the car and headed for the Briar Patch Inn.

We checked into the Inn and got directions to our cottage after Jon stuck his head in the dining area and reassured himself they were still serving. Our cottage was fabulous and cozier than I’d even imagined from the virtual web tour we’d taken before deciding on the place. The huge King size bed was in the middle of the room, set upon a flagstone floor, and facing an enormous fireplace. The cottage was known by the locals as ‘The House of Stone’ as it was made almost entirely with boulders from the nearby creek which we could hear splashing outside.

The cottage was completely secluded and private and there was no fear that we’d be discovered by the paparazzi if word leaked out that there was a rock star staying at the Inn. Jon set down our bags and I leaned into his embrace as we both sighed deeply, feeling the oneness with nature in this wooded retreat. There was no view of the red rocks from our room, but we’d chosen it despite that as we planned to spend the days out on the rocks and the nights in the cottage. It wasn’t merely the red rocks and vortexes of Sedona that felt spiritual.

We headed out of the room and down to the dining area and I was immediately glad to see it was nearly empty. This was an off season for the area and we had both privacy and the full attention of the host as we made ourselves comfortable. Jon was very pleased with the wine selections and he ordered an expensive Bordeaux to accompany our meal. I was equally happy with the menu selections and chose the pork medallions seared in brandy and topped with poached pears. Jon was famished and nothing short of a prime rib would satisfy his appetite.

Jon closed his eyes as he savored the wine and I took a small sip as I usually found his taste in wine to be too dry for my liking. This one, however, had a rich flavor that I liked and I nodded my appreciation as he opened his eyes. I reached out and covered his hand with mine as we looked at one another across the table.

“Jon, I am so glad to be here with you” I said softly.

“Me too, it is really perfect here and I can hardly wait to try out that enormous bed in our cottage” he replied with a wicked laugh.

I could feel my muscles quickening inside me at the image his words had conjured in my mind. I was about to reply as the waiter returned with our salads and Jon spoke again.

“It looks like we aren’t the only ones dining late tonight” he said casually to the waiter as he looked past me towards the couple who had just entered the restaurant.

I turned my head in the direction of Jon’s eyes and started to choke on the mouthful of salad I’d just started to swallow. I spun my head around and looked at Jon in a panic as I reached for my wine glass and gulped down the entire contents. I tried to regain my composure, but my heart was thumping wildly and I felt sick to my stomach. Not here, not now, please Goddess, I silently begged.

Jon’s expression became one of alarm and he looked again at the couple who’d just seated themselves across the room as he reached for my hand. I was shaking all over and my face had gone pale and I wanted to run out of the room, but I was afraid it would draw the attention of the couple who I prayed had not seen me.

“Jesus, what’s wrong? Who the hell are they?” Jon asked, forgetting himself as he clutched at my arm to steady me.

“Jon, I have to get out of here now. Can we ask the waiter to wrap up our dinners or send them upstairs? I can’t stay here” I said in a strangled voice.

But it was too late and I knew it. The hair on the back of my neck began to stand up and I could feel him approaching as Jon looked past me for the second time, his eyes fixed on the man who was approaching us. I dug my nails into my own thigh, pleading with the gods to give me strength and Jon saw the look of a trapped animal on my face.

“Trish? Is it you? I can’t believe you’re here!” I heard him say and a chill ran down my spine.

“It’s been a long time” I said as I turned to greet the man who’d tormented me and had haunted my dreams for years.

4 comments:

Queenie said...

I was just out in AZ and we took a day to go to Sedona and it is absolutely beautiful. Love this Opester, but who the heck is the guy?! Don't leave us hanging too long...

Sunstreaked said...

So descriptive! For those of us who have never been out west, all the detail is wonderful. Loved the cabin made out of river rocks (I hope that's real!) and the store with the antler sculptures! How neat!

Okay, totally intrigued with who the HECK this guy is who just made Trish flip out.

Hope you continue with all the detailed descriptions for those of us who need DETAILS!

Anonymous said...

Oh I know what Trish is feeling. That gut wrenching, pit in your stomach feeling that says, Are you serious? This can't be happening, Not here not now. I thought they were out of my life for good. I hope whoever this guy is or whatever it was that he did to her doesn't open up the past too severely. I hope that Jon can see this through and be strong for her. I have a feeling she is going to need him more than he is used to seeing. Anna

Ana said...

I'm totally intrigued of who that man is.