Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Sauna Part 184

Once we were alone, Jon undressed and got into the shower. He filled me in on all that had happened and I was glad that he and Richie had managed to sort things out. After the initial shock and denial wore off, Richie had accepted what he told him had happened and he believed him. He hadn’t even wanted to talk to Elaine as there was nothing she could say once he’d actually heard Jon repeat what she’d said, word for word. He and Jon had been friends for most of their lives and Richie trusted him.

I helped Jon get ready and I very gingerly shaved his face and we reapplied the ice pack. It was really too late to bring down the swelling, but it wouldn’t hurt. He pulled me against him and sighed heavily, holding onto me for comfort and reassurance and I clung to him for the same. The past twenty-four hours had been the most difficult we’d experienced so far. Jon sat down on the bed and watched as I slipped on the dress that Stephanie and I had found and he caught his breath.

“Baby, you look gorgeous. We look like ‘Beauty and the Beast’” he laughed as he drew me to him, removing the ice pack as he gazed at our reflection in the mirror.

“You’re still pretty to me, baby” I teased as I kissed his nose lightly.

We made our way out to the kitchen and headed straight for the wine. The caterers had arrived and Eva had taken charge and was showing them where to set up. It was just after four and everyone would soon be arriving. Richie had changed his shirt and planted himself at the kitchen table and was sipping his coffee, forgoing any more alcohol at the moment. He looked up as we joined him and he smiled wanly.

“Trish, you look beautiful, doll. I am so sorry I messed up Jonny boy for the pictures” he grinned sheepishly.

“As long as the damage isn’t permanent, I can forgive you for that, Richie” I said, trying to smile.

His whole world had crumbled completely and the pictures were the last thing I cared about. The doorbell rang and I excused myself as I went to greet the first of the guests. I opened the door and I was caught off guard by the sudden flash of a camera as it momentarily blinded me. I slammed the door instantly without thinking.

“Jon!” I bellowed in alarm, still blinking from the flash of the cameras.

Jon and Richie ran into the foyer and they knew instantly what had happened. They were both used to the sudden intrusions on their privacy and while they hoped we’d be lucky, they’d both half-expected this.

“Fuck! We don’t need this shit, not today!” Jon swore.

“Let me go make a statement, bro. It’s me they’re after today and this is all my fault anyway” Richie offered.

I could hear the weariness in his voice and I felt my temper rising again. This was just too much and I was in no mood to be accommodating. I put my hand on Richie’s shoulder and stood on my tiptoes to kiss him as I whispered softly in his ear.

“Not today, Richie. I will take care of this” I promised him and he looked at me gratefully.

Jon led Richie away from the door and I took a deep breath. I was feeling protective and pretty feisty. This was my house, dammit, and there were limits! The paparazzi had crossed that line when they showed up on my doorstep and I intended to let them know that in no uncertain terms. The guys had always been willing to placate their demands, but I felt no such obligation as I opened the door again.

“This is our home and as such it is private property. Our family has had a personal tragedy recently and we would appreciate your understanding right now. Please respect that we would like some time to heal before making any statements publicly and I can assure you that we will contact you when things have settled down” I announced.

It wasn’t a large crowd and I was glad that there weren’t more than half a dozen reporters and their camera crew. I saw the look of disappointment on several faces while others appeared rather contrite. Good, they should be ashamed, I thought to myself. I wondered what they had already heard and I suspected that Elaine had gone straight to the press to plead her case. One younger woman in the crowd piped up then and asked a question.

“Are Richie and Jon alright? Can you please just tell us that much?” she asked anxiously and I softened as I saw that her question showed more concern than curiosity.

“Richie and Jon are perfectly okay and there is no need for concern. It was a small misunderstanding between brothers and it’s been corrected” I said and she nodded.

The others seemed satisfied and followed her lead and left us in peace. I knew there would be a reckoning later, but they seemed pacified at the moment and they knew that camping out on our doorstep would only incite our rancor and they valued the relationship they had established with the band. I closed the door and that signaled the end of the discourse.

“Thanks, Trish” Richie said dejectedly as I returned to the kitchen.

Jon kissed my cheek and I was pleased that for once he had allowed me to take care of him. He had called Dot and advised her to come a bit later and he had phoned the mayor and told him the same. Neither had asked any questions and the mayor had been running late anyway. Eva and Tico had joined us and we all breathed a sigh of relief.


************************


It was now six o’clock and almost everyone had arrived. The press had disappeared and Dot had told us what she had heard via the grapevine and we filled in some of the gaps, but left out the details. The kids were upset, especially Jakey, when they saw their dad’s face, but the swelling had eased somewhat and it looked a little less obvious than it had. Dot had introduced us all to her boyfriend and I noticed that he was very low-key and rather unflappable and his presence had a calming effect.

The mayor of Rumson arrived just before seven and apologized profusely for being so late. Jon made light of his injured nose and the mayor didn’t press for any details as we were anxious to get on with the ceremony. Stephanie looked lovely in her dress and Richie teased her about looking so grown up. She was delighted and I instinctively knew that her presence would be more of a balm for Richie than anything else we could have arranged.

The ceremony was brief and we followed a traditional script, having opted not to insert our own vows this time. Richie took quite a few pictures and he struggled to catch Jon in a good light, but soon gave up the challenge as he realized that there wasn’t a flattering angle to be found as his swollen nose dominated every shot. The whole ritual was more memorable for what had happened earlier in the day than it was for the words that were spoken.

“You may kiss the bride” the mayor concluded.

Jon took me in his arms and dipped me as he kissed me hard on the lips and we tried to avoid hitting our noses. His sense of drama compelled him to make it a show in some fashion and I laughed at the gesture as Richie and Tico whistled in the background. Stephanie hugged me and her dad and we posed for a group photo with Jon holding Romeo. Even Jakey seemed to be in good humor and I was relieved that it all went so smoothly. We were now “officially” husband and wife in the eyes of the world.

The mayor left shortly after the ceremony and he assured us that we’d be getting our paperwork in the mail. We thanked him for making the time to come and perform the ceremony at our house and he congratulated us and wished us well. The cats had all but disappeared with all the noise and commotion and only Opie remained bravely out in plain sight and soaked up the attention lavished upon him as Jesse and Steph both took turns petting him.

“Looks like someone’s enjoying himself” Eva grinned as she nodded at the big purring cat surrounded by his young admirers.

“I never thought I would see Jon living with a cat, let alone …how many do you have Trish?” Dot chortled as she tried to remember.

“Four furry devils now” Jon answered as he rolled his eyes and we all laughed.

“And how do the cats like living with Jon?” Eva quipped.

This, of course, was Richie’s opportunity to jump in and he kept everyone in stitches as he described how Zeke had immediately bonded to him and ignored Jon completely. Jon and I both found ourselves looking around the room unconsciously, expecting to see Zeke suddenly appear on cue as he was so often apt to do, but there were too many strangers tonight.

“Dot, I wanted to thank you for the beautiful bouquets that you sent! They are lovely and we were so surprised when the florist showed up this morning. That was so thoughtful” I said, feeling sheepish that I’d forgotten my manners in all the excitement earlier.

“I wanted to do something special for both of you and to let you know that I’m glad Jon picked you to be his wife” she replied with genuine affection.

I hugged Dot and I really was glad she had come. In an odd sort of way it felt like the stamp of approval and I knew we were lucky to have hit it off as well as we did. I felt like I’d really been accepted into another family and it was good to spend the evening with true friends.

“Teek, honey, get the wedding present out from the car, will you” Eva whispered and Tico excused himself as he went to retrieve it.

He returned with a huge package wrapped in plain brown paper and set it in front of Jon and me. I knew from the shape that it had to be a painting and I was excited to see Tico’s work, so Jon let me do the honors. I tore open the wrapping and everyone crowded around to see what Tico had created.

“Oh my Goddess” I breathed as I stared at the canvas.

“Teek, man, that’s … wow!” Jon stammered, speechless himself.

The painting was spectacular but what made it so special was the subject. It was entitled ‘The Kiss’ and it was a picture of Jon and me in a candid moment as we stole a kiss, surrounded by a shroud of mist. It was breathtaking and the scene captivated me.

“There’s a story behind this too” Tico grinned as we turned to listen.

“Early on, when Jon had just gotten to know Trish, I had asked him how they had met. He told me the story and we all laughed at the circumstances, but I’ll tell you this. One night during a show, Jon took a break before the encore, and he rushed to the side of the stage. I saw the look on his face before he kissed Trish and I knew. I knew then and there that they were meant to be together and this was my attempt to blend the elements of that first meeting with what I thought the future would hold” he finished.

I was astonished. Tico had sensed what even Jon and I hadn’t known at the time and the painting represented our first meeting as well as the eternal nature of our love and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Tears rolled down my face as I absorbed all that the painting personified and Jon was too moved to speak. Tico gave me a hug and whispered in my ear.

“Jonny was reborn the day that he met you” he said so softly that only I could hear.

“Tico, I don’t know what to say” Jon said as he stared at the painting. “I can’t possibly thank you enough” he added, moved now to tears himself.

Eva’s face shone brightly at the reaction and she looked at her husband with pride. Tico could always recognize love and he was a romantic at heart, but he had captured so much more, she thought as she smiled at him.

“Tico, it’s the most astounding painting I have ever seen and I am so thankful” I added, finding my voice finally.

“Well, shit, Teek, you really outdid yourself with this. It’s fuckin’ awesome” Richie said appreciatively. “But damn, man, I wish you’d let me present my gift first. I sure don’t wanna have to follow your act” he chuckled and we all laughed.

Richie bounded up the stairs in a couple of strides and returned with a huge box which he placed at Jon’s feet.

“Aaawww, just go ahead and open it” he said with a pout.

Jon untied the bow and tore off the wrapping paper. He opened the box and I held it as he drew out a huge wooden statue carved in the shape of a cat. Dot nearly choked on her wine and I laughed so hard I was crying again. Jon stared at the larger than life representation of a cat and then looked again at Richie who was nearly hysterical as he spoke.

“At least this one won’t run away from you!” he said with a smirk.

Everyone roared and Stephanie giggled too as she picked it up and examined it more closely. She held up the giant cat and then turned it around to show us. Jon was still shaking his head and laughing as he looked at his daughter.

“What is it Steph?” he asked through his laughter.

“Dad, it looks just like Zeke!” she announced.

Jon looked at it again more closely and then shot Richie a glance. She was right. It was the spitting image of Zeke and there was no denying it and that landed Richie another round of hysterics. I could hardly believe the resemblance myself as I went over to Richie and planted a kiss on his nose. Jon smacked him in the arm as his duck lips formed the familiar pout.

“How on earth…?” Jon wondered.

“I had a picture Trish sent me where I was holding him and I took it to a local artist I knew. I just couldn’t resist” Richie confessed and Jon just hung his head in defeat.

“You got me, bro” he said as he held the cat statue on his lap and looked at the face.

5 comments:

lori said...

Great chapter Opester. I'm wondering about Jon's parents not being invited and the problems it may cause.

Queenie said...

Great job Opester. Love how Trish handled the damn nosy press. I had to laugh out loud at Richie's gift too. That was funny.

The picture you described that Tico painted sounds absolutely beautiful too. It was the perfect gift for them I think.

Anonymous said...

Great chapter! I'm very happy that Jon and Richie were able to make it thru this calamity with their bond intact. And the Richie's gift was just purrrfect:)
Keep the chapters coming please! I'm hooked.
Bayaderra

Sunstreaked said...

Yowza! I feel so bad for Richie still and so pleased at how Trish handled the press. Dot was wonderful and the kids were great! I love Eva and Tico and that painting sounds amazing. Richie, though, was the topper. The large "Zeke" was just too funny and shows more clearly than words the closeness and humor that bind those two. I have just loved these last several chapters.

Have to agree with Lori, though, what about Jon's parents? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Bravo Trish! Love how she handled the press.
OMG! Tico and Eva's gift - I had tears in my eyes as I was reading the scene. And, Ritchie's gift - too funny. What a sense of humour.