Monday, May 19, 2008

The Sauna Part 178

Richie and Elaine arrived at the house around eight and we cracked open an especially good wine while we visited and talked about our trip. Zeke had perched on Richie’s lap almost the minute he sat down and Jon scowled at the cat’s smug expression and Richie beamed delightedly. I brought out the photos that I had made extras of and Richie whistled at the one of the bear standing guard at the house. He had loved the chandelier we’d sent as a wedding gift and had it installed in the bedroom, directly over the bed.

“So now you can think of me whenever you’re looking up at the ceiling!” Jon teased.

“Oh right, just the sort of inspiration I want when I’m flat on my back in my bed” Richie replied sarcastically.

“Richie’s usually too busy in bed to be thinking about much of anything” Elaine interjected, her voice dripping with sugar.

“Yeah, it does take a lot of concentration to jack off” Jon replied smoothly and I tried to hide my smile.

Richie didn’t catch the underlying contempt in Jon’s statement and saw it as just their usual good natured banter, but the caustic humor was not lost on Elaine and she immediately changed the subject.

“So tell me why you don’t want the press to know about the wedding tomorrow. Wouldn’t it be a great opportunity for publicity? Trish, won’t you be glad to finally get married for real?” she asked.

“Elaine, the real marriage already took place as far as I’m concerned. This is just a legal ceremony and an excuse to have a party” I reminded her in the most pleasant tone I could muster.

Richie gave her a sharp look as Jon stood up and went to the kitchen for more wine. He was furious, but he didn’t want to offend Richie by losing his temper and telling her off. Elaine appeared oblivious to the impact of her statement and went on, seemingly unaware of the sudden tension in the room.

“I just don’t understand you. This is such an important day and yet you’re not even inviting Jon’s family or yours to come and celebrate. I would think you’d be proud to be Jon’s wife” she continued.

I was seething myself now and I was beginning to find her comments insufferable. I bit my tongue and dug my nails into my hand as I fought with myself not to blow up. It seemed like she was goading me into blasting her, but I wasn’t going to bite this time and end up looking like the bitch. Fortunately Jon had returned and caught the end of her remark.

“She’s been my wife for months now Elaine and she’s been my wife in many previous lifetimes as well and I’ve never doubted her commitment to me, nor should you” Jon interrupted as he laid his hand on my shoulder and bent to give me a kiss.

“Lainie, this is just a formality for Jon and Trish. It’s not like it was with you and me. And it’s a chance for the kids to be part of it too, so the family will be there” Richie tried to explain.

“Yeah, the kids will be there and even Dot is coming, and with her boyfriend no less! It’ll give the kids the opportunity to see that we can all still be friends and get along” Jon added with a chuckle.

“Dot? You’re not serious?” Elaine stammered, her eyes widening in shock and even Richie looked a bit stunned.

“Yeah, I know, but don’t blame me-it wasn’t my idea! Dot suggested it and Trish wanted to meet her anyway, so how could I refuse?” Jon smirked, remembering how it had all come about.

We recounted the story of my phone call with Dot and Richie just howled with laughter. That reminded me to tell the story of how we’d gotten lost in Pagosa and were rescued by the cop when we didn’t know our own address. I thought Richie was going to wet himself when he heard that one and we all ended up laughing.

We continued to chat and the tension eased up a bit as Elaine didn’t press any further about the wedding. She did show me her engagement ring and the wedding band and I had to admit that they were exquisite. Jon waited patiently while I explained that we would be using the rings we had already exchanged at the handfasting as those were really our wedding rings in the true sense. He was anxious to get going and gave Richie a tug, sending Zeke into a panic.

“Damn cat!” Jon growled and Richie snickered.

“Trish, have you got a paper and a pen? And a safety pin?” Richie asked suddenly as he and Jon were about to leave.

“I think so, let me look” I replied as Jon asked what he needed it for.

“I want to write down the address here and pin it to Jon just in case we get lost and we need help finding our way home” Richie grinned and Jon slugged him in the arm.

“Thanks, babe. Didn’t I tell you we’ll never hear the end of it if you told him?” Jon said as he glared at me, but I noted he was smiling.

The guys went out to the waiting limo then, leaving Elaine and me by ourselves. I decided to make a pot of tea as it tended to calm me down more than alcohol and it was likely to be a long evening.

“Don’t you want to go out somewhere too?” Elaine hinted.

“Not really. I was actually hoping you wouldn’t mind keeping me company while I work on Jon’s Christmas present. I have so little time left before the holidays and I can’t work on it when Jon is here” I explained and showed her the scrapbook.

She glanced at it casually without any real interest and asked if we could turn on some music. I nodded in the direction of the stereo and finished fixing my tea and made coffee for her. I dragged my scrapbooking supplies out from where I’d hidden them and we moved to the kitchen table and sat down.

“Trish, you’re so lucky to be marrying Jon” Lainie commented as she flicked through the pictures I had spread out at the kitchen table. “He really is the hottest man I’ve ever seen” she continued.

I looked up then and regarded Elaine with some suspicion. Was she just genuinely happy for me or was it envy that tinged her voice? I really couldn’t be sure and I searched her face, hoping to find the answer. Her hair hung over her face, hiding her eyes, but I noticed her attention was focused on the pictures of Jon, not of us, or even those with Richie.

“Elaine? Are you happy with Richie?” I probed, watching her reaction.

“Yes, of course. Why do you ask?” she asked, her eyes narrowing as she looked at me.

I couldn’t be sure, but I thought I saw a flicker of contempt before she quickly replaced it with a bland smile. I pushed the pictures of Jon and Richie closer toward her and looked at them again more closely too. The bond between the two men was so evident even in the pictures and I knew I had to find a way to accept that Elaine was Richie’s wife.

“I just sense that you aren’t really content” I responded, choosing my words carefully.

“And why is that? Because I don’t fawn over Richie the way you and Jon moon at each other?” she answered with an icy edge.

“You didn’t even kiss him goodbye tonight-you turned your cheek when he kissed you” I observed.

“I’m not given to public displays of affection, Trish, and I care about my dignity” she replied pointedly.

“I don’t recall that being the case before the two of you were married” I retorted, a bit stung at her insinuation.

“I may have lost my head in the beginning, but now that we’re married there’s no need to constantly demonstrate my feelings and besides, I’m conscious of the press lurking around every corner” she said defensively.

I suddenly felt very sorry for Richie. He was a warm, demonstrative person and now that Elaine felt secure in their relationship her former reserve had returned. In fact, sitting there watching her, I was struck by what an ice princess she had become. I had hoped that the marriage would have made it easier for her to show her feelings more, but it seemed the opposite was true. Poor Richie, I thought to myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very tense chapter. Something's going to happen - you can just 'feel' it. Elaine and Ritchie are newlyweds and she doesn't kiss him goodbye when he leaves - I don't know. And, Jon is the hottest man she's ever seen! What's Ritchie - chopped liver!
Can Trish and Jon put their feelings aside and get along with Elaine for Ritchie's sake - only time will tell

Sunstreaked said...

Wow! Tough chapter to read, stomach clenching as I did so. Love how Jon is STILL pissed that Zeke prefers Richie!

The character of Elaine is getting interesting. I'm finding myself wondering where some of her motivation comes from and cringing a little with regard to Richie. I have such a soft spot for the big guy.

The first name of my best friend is about to come into my story and I'm going to make her character very critical of my leading lady, something my friend is not in real life. That's the fun of writing fiction, it doesn't have to bear any resemblence to real life. In fact, the more "wild" the character is, the more tame and nice they usually are in real life!

Oh, by the way, should you want to ever write me into your story (first name only), please make me a real BITCH as I'm not in real life and this may be my only chance! I want to feel wicked and mean and snobby and superior and have it all be untrue! I can be the evil queen, the one who poisons Snow White!

Oops! Wrong story, sorry, got carried away, but I wanna be the bad girl for a change! ROFL!

I am SO waiting to see where this goes!!!

Anonymous said...

Aww poor Richie:( Give that man a big hug. He can't be very happy. I wonder what kind of conversations the "Boys Night Out" will produce. And what is with Elaine doing looking at only pictures of Jon?!! Did she forget who she is married to? Aside from the fact that Jon's WIFE is just across the kitchen table from her. (rolls eyes)
All in all though good chapter...nice flow, Anna

Ana said...

Yeah, this is getting interesting!
Agree, poor Richie doesn't know who he married with.
I have a feeling this is not going to have a happy end with that Elaine looking that way to Jon.

Ps: I wanted to say that I also enjoy Sunstreaked's comments. She's very funny!