Friday, May 30, 2008

The Sauna Part 185

The rest of the evening passed quickly as we laughed and joked with our friends. We had an opportunity to get to know a bit more about John and it was clear that he loved Dot with all his heart and she returned his affection. If seeing them together had bothered Jon at all, he didn’t show it. It seemed to allay any lingering doubts he might have had about how his kids would fare with their potential step-father and I noted how different he was from their real dad. Where Jon could command center stage without trying, the other John had no such gift for drawing attention to himself. He wasn’t really shy so much as he was unassuming and I gathered that Dot found that especially appealing after years of having to share her husband with a stage. Dot was the center of the world for this John and from where I sat, it appeared to be mutual.

Richie tried hard to keep his tone light, and my heart ached at his effort. It was an obvious struggle and I noticed the sadness that stole across his features when he thought that no one was watching. I wondered how Elaine could have thrown away one of the dearest men I had ever known on the chance that she might be able to bed my husband if he was too drunk to say no. I doubted that Jon could ever be that drunk.

“Richie, can you give me a hand in the kitchen?” I asked.

“Sure doll, right behind you” he said with a forced smile.

“Richie…” I began as I measured the coffee and Richie filled up the water container.

“What do you need, Trish?” he asked indulgently.

“Not a thing, Richie, but I think you could use a little time away from the crowd” I said as I gave him a hug.

Richie collapsed against me and his body sagged as he let down the wall and let go. I stroked his back as I murmured soothing words against him and he sobbed on my shoulder, finally giving vent to the sadness he’d been trying to conceal. I saw Jon approaching to see if we needed help and I motioned to him to just give us some time and he nodded.

“I’ve seen you holding back the tears all day, my friend, and I can only imagine how hard that’s been. It’s okay, Richie, you don’t have to pretend. I am so deeply sorry and I would do anything to take away your pain. I never would have encouraged you to pursue Elaine if I’d ever thought back then that she was capable of …” I stammered, a little shaken by the force of his emotion.

“…such a betrayal?” Richie finished as he stepped back and looked at me.

“Yes” I acknowledged and I hung my own head in shame, wishing like hell that I’d never met her.

“Trish, it isn’t your fault or Jon’s. It was mine. When I look back there were signs I chose to ignore. I’m forty-eight, for Christ’s sake. How could I be such a fool?” he said in a voice that was suddenly icy.

“I know Richie, I know, we saw signs too, but even I didn’t believe it at first. It was just a feeling and I felt I’d already done enough damage by getting in the middle when she lost it that night of the show. Richie, please promise me something, okay?” I asked as he looked at me.

“Anything, kiddo” he replied, his features softening again.

“Promise me that you won’t change because of what Elaine did to you, to me, to all of us. It was all her, Richie. It was Elaine who betrayed you and fooled us all. You committed no sin. All you did was love her and trust her and that’s what makes you the wonderful man you are, don’t you know that? Please, Richie, please don’t change because of her. She was the one who was unworthy, not you. Promise me that you won’t give up searching for someone worthy of your love, okay?” I begged as the tears rolled down my cheek.

“Aaawww, Trish” he said softly, hanging his head.

“Promise me, Richie” I demanded as I raised his chin and looked at him searchingly.

“As long as you and Jonny are there to remind me it’s possible, I’ll promise. I don’t want to stop believing” he said genuinely.

I hugged him again and he squeezed me so hard I could barely breathe. I wanted so much to heal his aching soul. Elaine had wounded Richie deeply and it wasn’t going to be as easy as pulling a thorn from his paw, but I was determined that we would do everything possible to see him through yet another loss. I couldn’t understand why the Gods would let such a gentle soul suffer so and I had to believe that things would change for him just as they had for me and Jon. Richie would find his soul mate yet and one day the pain he felt now would be matched by joy a thousand times stronger. Richie took a deep breath and hugged me one more time, as he sighed.

“Thanks Trish, I needed that. I’ll be okay, really. I’m glad I still have my friends, although you and Jon are really more like family. Do you think I might be able to steal Zeke for the night? I think I need my little buddy” he grinned with a sad smile.

“Richie, I don’t think we could keep him away” I smiled back affectionately as we headed back to the group in the living room.

It was getting late and Dot wanted to get home and get Romeo to bed and Jakey was beginning to get whiny. He had been really good all evening, but he was bored with all the adult discussion and he was overtired. Jon scooped Romeo into his arms as Dot and John told him it was time to go home. Jakey grabbed hold of Jon’s leg and begged to stay over, but Jon managed to dislodge him with a promise that they would have time together very soon.

“Hey, buddy, c’mon. It’s my wedding night tonight, but we’ll get together this week, I promise” Jon said soothingly.

“Oh yeah, I forgot” Jakey said sheepishly as he got ready to leave and I was again struck by how much he resembled his father in certain moments.

Jesse had been talking with Tico about painting and he had shown him the drawing he had done at Zoar which we had had framed and hung alongside the stairs. I overheard Tico promise to help him try painting and I smiled, thinking perhaps we could get him some painting supplies for Christmas too. Stephanie had been rather quiet and hung back a bit, but I noticed she had been watching Richie all evening. As everyone made ready to leave, including Tico and Eva, I saw Stephanie approach Richie. He gave her a hug and she whispered something in his ear.

“I love you, Richie. I’m sorry about Elaine” she said simply as she hugged him back.

“Thanks Stephie, I love you too” Richie said as he hugged her and our eyes met over her shoulder.

Soon it was just the three of us and the house felt pretty quiet again. It had been a long day and I was glad it was over and I knew that Richie could finally relax and let down his guard. He looked exhausted and I noticed the lines and wrinkles on his face for the first time. Richie had never looked his age, but tonight it was beginning to show and I guessed he was dreading the thought of spending the night alone in an empty bed.

“What should we do? Is anyone hungry?” I asked, looking at all the leftover snacks and hors d’oevres and trying to stall.

“Trish, it’s your wedding night, even if it is the second time with this lout” Richie teased as he shoved Jon towards me.

Jon slipped his arm around my waist and kissed my cheek tenderly as he squeezed me against him. I wanted to lose myself in Jon’s arms, but I was concerned about leaving Richie alone and he must have sensed what I was thinking.

“I’ll be alright tonight, you two, okay? Let me clean up and put all the food away and then I’m gonna find my little four-footed buddy and hit the sack” Richie assured us.

Almost as if on cue, Zeke appeared in the kitchen and brushed against Richie’s leg and we all had to chuckle. The house was back to normal in Zeke’s eyes and he mewed softly as Richie bent down to pick him up. They were quite a pair and even Jon grinned as he patted the cat’s head.

“Hey you, take care of my best friend tonight, will you?” Jon instructed the cat, charging him with the duty to keep Richie company.

“See? I’m in good hands-or paws-as the case may be” Richie quipped and I relented.

“Alright then, I can see you won’t be alone” I conceded as I kissed Richie goodnight.

“Thanks guys, really. I mean it. I don’t know what I would have done today without all of you, and Tico too. And Jon, I am so sorry, man. I don’t know what possessed me to strike out at you. I …” he began but Jon interrupted.

“Say no more, man. But I will send you the bill for the car” Jon smirked and Richie nodded a bit sheepishly.

“Okay, now shoo! Zeke and I will clean up the food; you two get out of here and do what ‘newlyweds’ do, okay?” Richie prompted and we smiled as we took our leave.

8 comments:

Queenie said...

This chapter made me feel so sad for Richie. I hope he finds someone worthy of him. Glad he has Jon and Trish to lean on and help him through.

Nice job Opester!

Sunstreaked said...

Aw, you need to send Richie to me for some TLC! I won't take advantage of him (well, not much anyway) and I won't break his heart! So good of Trish to give him a safe place to let those feelings out. Also think Richie really needed Zeke that night and that Zeke has maybe always sensed Richie's pain. Another great chapter, am still on pins and needles here, knowing there is more (how could there not be, there's so much to tell and so many places to go!)

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention that I'm liking Dot's boyfriend's name - John - love it!
Poor Ritchie - what a beautiful scene in the kitchen. Had to grab the kleenex again. Ritchie will get through this with friends such as Trish and Jon and Tico and Eva.

Anonymous said...

I think it's so great that Zeke is close to Richie in your story. It was a great chapter. :)

Sheena

Anonymous said...

Cats can sense when and where they are needed. Jon doesn't need Zeke, Richie does. I'm curious as to when Zeke will go home with Richie.

I'm glad to have more insight into Stephanie's character. It was good to see it develop a bit more. She's seems to be perceptive with caution. Maybe she might find interest in exploring the idea of Wicca(did I word that right?) Just a thought that I had as she was quiet for most of the chapter. Seemed as though she was just taking everything in and processing what was going on. Then what she said to Richie seemed to be what, when, and who he needed to hear it from. ~Anna

Opester said...

That's an interesting idea, Anna! I hadn't thought of that, but then I never know what'll happen until I sit down and start writing-I'll have to see what my muse thinks of the idea!

Ana said...

I'm impressed with your ability on writing so well that we can feel all the emotions.
I love this story!

Opester said...

Thanks Ana, I appreciate the compliment! I'm so glad that the characters seem real and can evoke the emotions I was trying to capture-I'll admit, I've shed many tears writing this story myself!