Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Sauna Part 137

We slept in late on Thanksgiving morning and I woke to the sound of Linda and Pat arguing about something in the kitchen. I caught snatches of the conversation and I heard Pat telling her that there was plenty of food while she insisted he had to go out and find somewhere open where he could get something or other she wanted to add. Jon stretched and yawned and I lay back down, craving the warmth of his body.

He folded me against his chest and his fur tickled my nose as I burrowed in next to him. We had both slept well after making love last night and I was feeling lazy today. It would be a long day with the family and as much as I enjoyed them, it was a bit of a test of my will to keep myself in check and resist the multiple temptations that arose daily with Jon nearby. Plus my cousin and his wife would be joining us for dinner and they could be a bit contentious.

“So, what’s the agenda today?” Jon asked.

I went over the details and started feeling a bit guilty that Linda was doing all the cooking without any real help, so I pushed myself to get up and we slipped on our robes and wandered out into the kitchen. Linda was already busy preparing things and the turkey was in the oven. Jon grabbed a piece of coffee cake and Linda offered to make breakfast, but he passed, seeing she was busy. Thankfully there was coffee and I noticed Pat wasn’t around so I assumed Linda had won the argument.

We went out onto the linai and smoked while I fought the urge to go back to bed. Jon decided he’d go for a run and give us some time for “girl talk” and I kissed him goodbye and joined Linda. She gave me scrub duty as I was nearly as useless to her in the kitchen as Jon and we talked about mother and daddy and, of course, Jon.

Linda liked him and thought he’d made a very good impression on everyone. He wasn’t quite what she’d expected, I knew. She had grown accustomed to my rather poor choices in men at times, although she’d always liked Jim and asked about him. I told her about the Halloween party and his penis costume, watching her reaction from the corner of my eye. She gave a disapproving grunt and changed the subject.

She wanted to know how I was going to tell daddy about quitting my job and wondered if I missed it at all. I really hadn’t missed working and that surprised us both. I told her what Jon and had said about telling daddy and about the conversation they’d had in the den yesterday. She stopped peeling the potatoes and thought for a moment.

“You know, he’s right. It may be better to tell him sooner as the longer you wait the harder it’ll get and you know how daddy is about lying” she pointed out.

I nodded my agreement and knew they were both right, I was just being a chicken. I didn’t like keeping secrets and the worst was over now. He met Jon and he seemed to like him and he really had no reason to worry about the money. Maybe I would try and talk to him this afternoon if we had a chance. I didn’t want to be in the position of lying yet again when my cousin asked about my job. Jon came back drenched with sweat from his run and I stopped myself when I went over to kiss him.

“Yuck! You’re sweatier than after a concert!” I exclaimed and he grinned at me.

“Awww, c’mon, baby. Give me a kiss” he coaxed as I squirmed to evade his reach, giggling all the while.

Linda watched silently as he chased me around the kitchen, but it looked as though she was smiling. I think she was truly happy for me and I guess it was obvious how much we enjoyed each other.

“Go take a shower and I’ll kiss you” I commanded and he pouted playfully, but obeyed and went off to get cleaned up.

“He really loves you” Linda said quietly, never looking up from her task.

“Yes, he really does. And I love him more than I ever thought possible” I said blushing.

“I can see that. I’m really happy for you, Trish. I’ve never seen you look more content” she said a bit wistfully.

I went over and hugged her, knowing that was a sure sign of approval. She hugged me back and then ordered me to go and get ready as soon as Jon was finished in the bathroom. I finished helping her with the food and soon it was all in the oven. It was almost one o’clock and Jon was dressed and ready to do whatever needed to be done.

“Why don’t you go out on the linai and look pretty while I take a shower” I teased as I kissed him now that he was clean.

He made a face and Linda suggested he could help her get some dishes down from a cupboard and get the table ready while I washed up. He was anxious to help and I left him in her hands. When I finished my shower, I came out and saw that she had found ways to occupy him. He whistled as I walked by, but continued vacuuming the living room. On impulse, I grabbed the camera and took his picture while he posed for me. All he needed was an apron and I could have sold that picture to the tabloids for more money than I made in a year!

I went out on the linai to smoke and dry off and Jon joined me after he finished his chores. My sister had been a teacher for too many years and she was a drill sergeant when it came to managing things, but Jon seemed no worse for wear. Pat came home then and joined us, Belle following on his heels. Jon picked up a toy and threw it for her and Pat smiled.

“So, how was the hot tub? Did it still heat up okay?” he inquired.

“It was great; thanks for letting us use it. I was going to surprise you, but I’m getting one put in at the house in Jersey and they’re putting one in your backyard in Buffalo” Jon said, turning to me.

“Are you serious? Oh Jon, that’s wonderful!” I replied beaming. “I’ve gotten to really enjoy them lately” I added, my voice a little lower.

Mother and daddy arrived just then and Belle tore into the house to greet them. Daddy leaned down to scratch her ears and then came out on the linai while mother aggravated Linda by offering to help. We stayed outside until Butch and Vivian arrived around four and the turkey was almost ready.

Daddy had brought a bottle of wine he’d probably had since he retired twenty years ago as no one in our family really drank much. I knew Jon was wondering how one bottle of wine was going to work for eight people, but I patted his arm to reassure him. Butch had a glass and my mother had a small one, but Jon and I were the only other ones drinking and none of us really wanted a refill after the first glass. Fortunately I did find some whiskey that Linda had forgotten she had and Jon got the blender down from the cupboard and we made whiskey sours or at least a version of it.

Dinner was served at four-thirty and we all took our seats. Daddy carved the bird as tradition demanded and because he was the only one who could slice it thin enough to satisfy Linda. Daddy and I went for the dark meat while everyone grabbed for the white meat and Jon didn’t have a particular preference.

Dinners in our house were strange events and many a friend who’d joined our family over the years had commented afterwards. I had forgotten to prepare Jon, but it was too late now and all our other friends had survived, including my ex-husband.

The conversation all but ceased as the food hit the table and everyone focused on eating. My dad’s attitude had always been “Eat while it’s hot, you can talk later” and we never questioned that until we had been invited to eat at friend’s homes. It was only then that we realized how different our family really was.

Jon adapted easily, though, and didn’t seem to mind as he followed suit despite my lack of a warning. The food was excellent as my sister was a fantastic cook and I always wondered where she got that from as my mother had been a lousy cook. It must have come from my dad’s side, but I’d certainly missed out on those genes.

“This is delicious” Jon mumbled, his mouth still full and my sister’s face lit with pride.

“The stuffing is perfect” I said as I took another mouthful, acknowledging the special effort she made to put in the chestnuts for my sake.

The only conversation was praise for the food and the sound of eight of us chewing, but we were a happy bunch. I saw my mother sneaking food to the dog who always managed to sit right by her feet as it was a standing order not to feed the dog. Pat saw it too, but said nothing, deciding it wasn’t worth starting a fight, but daddy saw her and yelled.

“I only gave her a little” my mother whined defensively and I rolled my eyes at Jon, hoping my dad would just leave it alone.

Everyone was on their best behavior with Jon there and we got through the meal without further incident. Afterwards I joined my dad in the kitchen to help clean up as he finished slicing the turkey. It would probably be my only opportunity to talk to him alone as Linda would be in shortly.

“Father?” I began.

“Yeah, Trish, what is it?” he asked, sounding tired.

My mother exhausted him and it showed. He never had a day with any peace as there was always something she did to upset him. I almost decided not to say anything, but it was now or never. I took a breath and decided to just get it over with.

“I quit my job” I announced.

“What?” my father said, as he stopped dead and looked at me.

“I quit my job. Jon is on tour a lot and the last time he went back to Jersey just for a few days was unbearable. I couldn’t imagine being separated for weeks, even months at a time and he has more money than we’ll ever need, so I quit. I’m going to run his charitable foundation and the fan club instead and we won’t have to be separated” I finished.

There. I’d said it. Whatever happened next, at least I wasn’t lying to him or evading the questions anymore. I took another breath and waited. Linda came in the kitchen and caught the drift, so she grabbed the dessert and made a hurried exit, knowing we needed the privacy.

“Did he ask you to quit?” my father wanted to know.

“No. And he understands that I may decide to start a career in New Jersey as we are moving there soon, but he never pushed me. It was my decision completely. He just supported me and I’m hoping you will too” I added.

“When? When did you quit?” he asked next.

“About a week ago. Just before we went to California” I answered steadily.

“I’m relieved actually. I know you loved your job, but I’d always thought you gave it too much. And he sounds like someone who can take care of you for a change” my dad answered calmly.

I nearly dropped the dish I was washing. Had I so misread my father or had he just changed more than I’d realized. I could hardly believe what I was hearing. I was expecting a tirade, but I never expected approval. My father was full of surprises. I put down the dish I was washing and hugged him just as Jon walked in carrying an armful of dirty dishes.

“I just want you to be happy, honey. Happy and safe. That’s all I ever wanted, don’t you know that? Be happy before it’s too late” he smiled wanly and he looked over my shoulder at Jon as I began to sob.

Jon nodded his understanding to my dad and set down the dishes quietly, leaving us alone. Linda handed him another armful, but he motioned to her to wait. She looked at him with a question and he just smiled and whispered that everything was okay and that we just needed a moment.

We stood there a moment longer and I tried to collect myself and digest all that had just happened. I picked up the dish I’d been washing and my dad resumed carving the turkey. My hand was shaking and I needed a cigarette badly. I excused myself and went outside. Jon heard the door on the linai and joined me and I told him what happened, but it seemed like he already knew. He listened and told me what he’d overheard as he put his arm around my shoulder.

“You’re father loves you, baby. And so do I” he said comfortingly.

“I know that, it just took me by surprise, that’s all. And it was the sadness in his voice, Jon. Like he was telling me, don’t end up like me and your mother. My heart just breaks for him” I sniffed.

“I know, darlin’, I know” he said soothingly as he held me and I just cried it out on his shoulder.

This wasn’t a side of me that Jon was used to seeing, but he rather liked it in a way. He liked that I could be tough and strong, but he also liked being able to be there for me and knowing that I needed him. And he was grateful that I shared it with him. I got myself together and we went inside. We both managed to find room for dessert and we sipped our coffee as we finished our pecan pie.

My cousin and his wife left as soon after dinner as was seemly, just as they usually did, and my mother made a catty remark about how they never offered to bring anything for dinner. We’d heard it a hundred times before and it didn’t need to be said, but no one argued. She was right. We sat around and visited until about eight and my parents decided to leave. Today had been a big day and mother needed to rest or she’d be more disoriented than usual.

Pat took Belle for a walk and Jon went with him, hoping to walk off some of the dinner and I filled Linda in on what had happened. She cried too and we hugged each other, wishing more than anything that things could be different for my dad. Jon and Pat returned and we went out on the linai while Pat and Linda watched TV. Pat offered to fire up the hot tub, but we declined as the turkey was already beginning to make us sleepy. We went to bed early and I fell asleep cradled in Jon’s arms.

6 comments:

Queenie said...

I have to say I laughed out loud at the image of Jon vacuuming! What a picture!

I'm glad Trish's Dad was all right with her quitting and he just wants her to be happy. Very touching.

Great chapter Opester!

Anonymous said...

So surprised about Trish's dad...thought he would go ballistic. Loved the chapter and I also wanna see Jon vacuum.

More, more, more! I know, I'm greedy!

MonzaBird said...

I would carpet my whole house from floor to ceiling just so Jon could come and vacuum.

Opester said...

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed the image of jon and the vacuum!!!!! I'd have to agree with monzabird on this one too! This was a favorite chapter of mine too as the father-daughter stuff always gets to me. I still cry when I watch 'Dirty dancing'!

Anonymous said...

Great chapter Opester!
Wise words spoken by Trish's dad: "I just want you to be happy, honey.". Ain't that the truth but not too many people are.

Anonymous said...

Loved this chapter! :)

Sheena