Monday, April 28, 2008

The Sauna Part 161

Jon called the realtor and told her we would take the house and that he would have the money transferred from his account in Jersey. I had no idea what the place must have cost, but I didn’t ask and Jon didn’t mention it, so I trusted that we could afford it. I half wondered what Jon’s estate was really worth, but it was merely curiosity and I didn’t ask. I figured he’d tell me when and if I needed to know.

We took a shower finally and decided to head into Pagosa Springs and check out the spa. It was afternoon already and the day was getting away from us. We called a cab this time and decided we would need a vehicle to get around as we’d be staying here for the duration. We agreed that we should get an SUV since the terrain could be rough, especially in the winter.

We went first to a dealer in Pagosa and looked at a couple of different models. After a couple test drives, we settled on a Lexus SUV as Jon trusted the make and this one came with a GPS that provided a screen to display directions. It seemed like a good idea since neither of us knew the area and this would help us navigate our way around.

The dealer showed us how the system worked and gave us the address for the spa which wasn’t far, so we thought that would be a good test. Jon punched in the address and a map came up on the screen and gave us directions, turn by turn. It was pretty amazing how that worked and it reminded me of Mapquest. We arrived at the spa within minutes.

“The outdoor facilities are closed for the winter, but we have several indoor pools to choose from” the older woman at the desk informed us.

“Tell us about the options and what you’d recommend” Jon asked.

She reviewed the various features of each area and Jon’s eyes lit up when she explained that the one smaller pool was clothing optional. I looked a little alarmed and she assured us that it was only open to adults and that people were expected to be discrete. She added that it was empty right now and that we would likely have the pool to ourselves, at least until after dinner when it tended to get busier.

“C’mon, babe, remember our pact?” Jon prompted when I still seemed hesitant.

“Are you sure? What if someone recognizes you? You can’t wear a disguise in there” I whispered.

“So what? It’s not as though we’d be breaking any rules …” he replied with a devilish grin.

“Alrighty then” I relented, seeing his excitement growing already.

The woman at the desk had turned her attention to other things while she waited for us to decide. Jon flagged her back over and eagerly shared our decision and she didn’t bat an eye. He handed her his charge card and she placed a stack of towels on the counter and a sheet of paper that explained the rules of conduct. We read it over briefly, realizing we had no excuse now for not knowing how to behave.

The woman handed Jon’s card back and then gave us another sheet of paper which outlined the benefits of the water and listed the minerals it contained. I briefly scanned the list and noted that lithium was one of the ingredients and asked if the water was safe to drink.

She explained she had been drinking a small vial daily since she was eighteen and that many people did the same, believing it to be responsible for their good health. She pointed to a cooler where you could buy a bottle of the water, but cautioned not to drink a lot of it. It would keep and all you needed was about one shot glass each day.

We purchased a large bottle to take with us and followed her down a corridor as she led us on a tour. She pointed out the various pools, one of which was the one we had chosen and was the hottest of the three available. The large pool was not heated beyond the natural heat of the spring, but the temperature usually ran around seventy-eight degrees. She left us then and Jon tugged at my hand as we made our way back towards the smaller pool.

There was no place to change inside, but the pool area was lined with benches where you could leave your things and the air inside was moist and warm from the bubbling waters. Jon stripped off his clothes immediately and waited for me. Even though we were alone, I felt a bit self-conscious so Jon offered to assist me. I made duck lips at him and told him to be patient and that I was apparently not quite the exhibitionist that he was and he laughed.

Finally I was naked too and together we stepped into the steamy water. It wasn’t as hot as the hot tub, but it was very warm and we glided towards the center of the pool where it came bubbling up from the ground. Jon pulled me closer to him and kissed me, sliding his hand across my hip. The water was extremely soft and his touch felt like satin across my skin.

We splashed in the water and played, enjoying the fact that we had the entire pool to ourselves. It wasn’t really deep enough for diving, but that didn’t stop Jon from doing a cannonball into the water and sinking to the bottom like a stone. I laughed and swam over to where he landed and I felt his hands glide along my body as he surfaced. I twined my legs around his waist and kissed him as we bobbed up and down in the water.

I felt a cool breeze suddenly on the back of my neck and as I turned to see where it was coming from and I realized we were no longer alone. The door had opened and an attractive woman and a somewhat older man had come in.

“Jon…” I whispered in his ear.

“I know, babe. I see them” he replied.

We moved quietly to the far end of the pool, hoping to be somewhat less noticeable. The couple disrobed and walked into the pool by the shallow end and the man waved to us. Jon waved back and I clung to him, feeling a bit insecure. Men always seemed more at ease with nudity, I thought, than did women.

The man was swimming towards us now while the woman hung back a bit but followed. As he approached, I took a closer look and he seemed less threatening upon further inspection. He smiled and introduced himself and his wife.

“Hi! I’m Gord and this beautiful creature here is my wife, Carol. Today is our anniversary and we’re celebrating! We’ve been together for twelve years and married for five and we’ve always wanted to come here. Are you two local? Maybe you can tell us about the benefits of the mineral springs first hand?” he asked enthusiastically.

He seemed quite friendly and harmless and I was touched by the way he referred to his wife. I began to relax and feel more comfortable now that the conversation seemed so normal even though the four of us were virtual strangers as well as being naked as jaybirds.

“Congratulations and happy anniversary! I’m Jon and this is Trish and this is sort of a belated honeymoon for us. It’s our first time here, so we don’t have any miracle stories about the healing power of the water, but it sure feels good” Jon said ebulliently.

“So we’re all newbies!” Gord grinned and Carol laughed.

“I’ve been trying to drag his butt here for years. Congratulations to you on managing to get your husband here on a honeymoon!” Carol beamed.

“Actually, I can’t take the credit. It was Jon’s idea and he completely surprised me” I admitted.

“A surprise! Hear that Gord? Some men actually like to plan trips to surprise their wives” she hinted, elbowing Gord in the ribs.

They were clearly a perfect pair and well-suited to each other I thought. Their good-natured banter put me totally at ease as we chatted and got to know each other a bit more. They were from Canada and this was the first vacation they’d been on in some time. I suggested they try and take a trip to Sedona as it wasn’t too far from here and it was the spiritual Mecca of the southwest, not to mention incredibly gorgeous scenery.

We learned that they were staying right there at the spa and had just arrived this morning, so their trip was just beginning. Gord was a workaholic, according to Carol, and I could sympathize with her on that one. Jon always had multiple projects going on and I was still amazed that he had willingly put a moratorium on all work for two weeks. Carol was not quite so lucky and had managed to get Gord away for only a week, but they were determined to make the most of it. I had no doubt they would; they seemed like a fun couple.

The time flew by as we enjoyed their company, but we were starting to feel like wrinkled prunes and I guessed that Jon was getting hungry. We said goodbye and excused ourselves as we swam toward the area where we had left our clothes. We dried off and got dressed just as a small group of young people entered and began to undress. We finished getting ready and waved to Carol and Gord as we made our exit.

We stopped again by the front desk on our way out and asked about the hours of operation and Jon was curious about any other services they had on site. I wanted to know if there were any particular places we should check out while we were here and Jon asked about local restaurants. He also asked if they had any special guest packages and I was curious about what he was up to.

“We have a ‘romantic adventure’ package” she explained and went on to describe it in some detail as Jon listened attentively.

The package consisted of dinner reservations and a couple champagne breakfasts, massages and spa treatments and additional amenities like fresh flowers and a private evening by candlelight in the pool after it closed to regular guests for the night. The spa would also provide wine and cheese snacks in the evening and a complimentary spa package of sponges, oils, bath salts and the like.

“We’ll take it, but not for us” Jon grinned as the woman looked at him in surprise and so did I.

“There’s a couple we met earlier who are staying here for their anniversary. I didn’t catch their last name, but they came in after we did and their first names are Carol and Gord from Canada” he said as the woman nodded and smiled.

“Yes, I know who you mean. They were so excited to finally get here and try the spa. They just arrived this afternoon” she explained.

“Right, that’s them. Can we upgrade their stay here to the package for them? I’d like this to be a special vacation for them” Jon inquired and the woman looked surprised.

I squeezed Jon and kissed him for being so thoughtful and such a romantic. His generosity was another thing I loved about him and I was tickled he’d thought of the idea and I guessed that the couple we’d met would definitely remember this vacation. Maybe Carol would have better luck dragging Gord away again in the future.

“Well, of course we can do that for you, Mr. Bongiovi. That’s very thoughtful. Who should I tell them the gift is from?” she asked.

“Just tell them to enjoy their vacation and ‘Happy Anniversary’ from Jon and Trish” he said as he signed the charge receipt and we were on our way.

“Dinner, babe?” Jon smiled, turning his attention to more pressing matters and I laughed.

“I love you, you know. That was such a wonderful idea. Come here” I said as I motioned him to bring his face closer so I could kiss him.

“I’ve got an idea for dinner. What do you say we go and get some groceries and I’ll make us a fancy dinner at home? I’m feeling greedy and I want you all to myself tonight. We can lie around in bed and watch a movie or something” I suggested.

“Or something? I like the sound of that” he growled deliciously.

3 comments:

Sunstreaked said...

I just loved that chapter! Jon was so generous with that couple and it was even better that it was just from "Trish and Jon". So cool and such a nice way to show what a genuinely sweet guy he can be. How could you NOT love somebody like that? Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Aww that was a very kind thing for him to do. What a sweetie. :)Anna

Ana said...

What can I say?
He's is GREAT!!