Friday, April 18, 2008

The Sauna Part 151

We left for Jersey by noon on the following day. After successfully loading all the boxes and packages onto the plane along with five screaming cats, we were exhausted. We weren’t the only ones who were worn out, though. The cats had screamed for the entire trip to the airport which made the one hour car ride seem like forever. We had tried to drown out the noise with the radio, but the louder we turned up the volume, the louder Opie yowled and all our attempts to soothe him proved futile.

“I wish I had his lung capacity” Jon observed grimly when we arrived at the airport.

“They’ll calm down once we’re on the plane and they can walk around” I said reassuringly, hoping I was right.

We opened the cage doors and four of the five miserable animals raced out. Beowulf stayed frozen in her cage until we were well underway, but at least the constant yowling had stopped and had been replaced by an occasional mewing. Vicky brought us each a glass of wine and we were grateful for anything to calm our jangled nerves.

After the cats had explored the plane to their satisfaction, all but Zeke had promptly found a good napping spot and curled up for a snooze. I knew once we reached the house and they had gotten familiar with all the rooms, they’d probably sleep the remainder of the day after having worn themselves out with all the excitement. Only Zeke remained vigilant now.

“I see psycho boy is on the alert” Jon observed.

“He won’t relax until he discovers the bed when we get home. He’s too anxious to relax” I explained, patting my lap.

Zeke jumped up and landed in my lap, but he was gone again in a flash, searching the cabin for hidden dangers and threats. Beowulf had finally come out of the cage and was sleeping comfortably on Jon’s lap, serenading us with a low purr. He stroked her head, comforting her.

It was a short plane ride and we were landing just after everyone had settled down. The change in air pressure and noise had disturbed everyone and Jon and I scrambled to herd them all back into the cages. We were once again treated to cat song, with Opie leading the chorus and I’m sure we were quite a spectacle as we made our way to the waiting limo with our charges.

Jon had arranged for Rick to meet us at the airport since he was back from Florida and he was in charge of supervising the unloading and transport of all the boxes and packages, so we were only responsible for the animals. I was glad it was a relatively short ride to the house. I could see that Jon was becoming rather short-tempered; his patience for such a production was reaching its limit.

“Where’s that fucking luggage cart?” he demanded petulantly.

“Hang on, Jon, I’ll find one” Rick placated, returning with a large enough one to accommodate the carriers and our suitcases.

Rick and I exchanged looks and Jon scowled, lifting the suitcases onto it as we placed the cats in their carriers on one by one. Opie was singing loudly and I wished with all my heart that he would stop before Jon blew up. I finally suggested that Rick bring the cats with the rest of the stuff as he’d only be minutes behind us and he nodded.

“I’m fine. This is almost over” Jon said unconvincingly.

“Rick will be right behind us, love. I know the crying is tough to take” I offered.

“Whatever” Jon sulked, but didn’t argue.

He was hungry and irritable and I figured that food would go a long way towards relieving the foul mood, so we stopped at Barnacle Bob’s for a quick bite. Jon began to relax after his belly was full and he had some peace and quiet.

“I’m sorry, baby. I guess I just wasn’t prepared for the constant screaming. They’re usually so quiet” he admitted.

“They’re frightened, Jon. They don’t understand what’s happening and cats don’t like not being in control, just like someone else I know” I grinned.

“Touché” he smirked.

We arrived at the house ahead of Rick and Jon was in better humor. I started a pot of coffee and he turned up the heat to warm the house up as it was a bit chilly since no one had been there in some time. We were sitting in the kitchen, sipping our mugs, when the van pulled up.

Rick began to unload the van, beginning with the cats as he was anxious now also-to escape the sound of cat song-and Jon laughed as they exchanged knowing looks. I took them inside and released them in the bedroom while the guys brought the remainder of the stuff in from the van. Jon’s house was still large compared to mine and I didn’t want them to be overwhelmed all at once.

Jon opened the door and came in to check on us just as Opie threw up about three feet away. Zeke whizzed by in a flash of fur and Floyd sat down directly in front of Jon with an imperious stare. Eddie was on the bed, marching, as his claws kneaded the soft fabric of the comforter. Beowulf had hidden herself under the bed.

Jon surveyed the chaos, but he was smiling. At least there was silence until Opie threw up again, depositing his gift at Jon’s feet. I had put down food and water, although they were far too wound up to eat, and I’d set up a litter box in the corner of the room temporarily as a necessary safeguard.

“That is temporary, right?” Jon frowned as his eyes narrowed.

“Yes, love. I just don’t want to take any chances after such a grueling day and I want them to get comfortable here a little at a time. Your house is so much bigger than mine, they’d be totally overwhelmed if I let them have free reign right away” I reassured him and he nodded, looking relieved.

“Is everything unloaded?” I asked, trying to distract him from the mound of vomit he was gazing at.

“Yep. Rick hightailed it outta here as fast as he could” Jon answered with a grimace as Opie climbed in the litter box.

“Okay, good. Let’s just bring their beds in here, for now, and I’ll clean that up” I suggested as I slipped my arms around his waist.

Jon drew me close and stroked my hair and I thought to myself that nothing says ‘I love you’ more than his ability to tolerate the scene he was witnessing. He must have been thinking the same thing as he whispered in my ear.

“My life will never be the same again, will it?” he sighed softly.

I raised my head from his chest and looked up into his face, but he was smiling. It was only a statement, a reflection of his acceptance that there would be an adjustment period for all of us. I reached up and turned his head to look at me.

“Any regrets?” I asked, just checking.

“None whatsoever, lady” he replied, kissing me gently on the lips for confirmation.

“I love you, Jon” I said simply, grateful he had accepted my furry family members almost as gracefully as he’d accepted my human relations.

“I love you too, babe” he murmured, holding me closer.

9 comments:

Queenie said...

This was great Opester. I love that Jon was so accepting of taking the cats to his domain, even with the screaming and the eventual pile of vomit at his feet. I hope the cats get acclimated quickly.

Anonymous said...

I have never commented before but now I feel that I have to. What the hell is it with all the cats? And who in their right mind would bring cats on a tour with them. Trish is just a weird cat lady. I love cats but this is too much. One more thing. They are so happy pappy all the time. Not that I want drama but a little would only make it more interesting. Recently the chapters have been very boring. I am sorry but it is true.

Sunstreaked said...

Love the real life quality of your story, Opester. Trish has given up EVERYTHING to be with Jon, but is asking only to keep one part of her old life, her cats. I have to disagree with anon - when you take on the care of an animal, you don't "throw them away" when they become inconvenient. If needed, you find another good home for them or other solutions, but pets are for life. I can completely understand where Trish is coming from and it's good for Jon to know that not EVERYTHING goes your way just because you're famous.

P.S. This is a story, for gosh sake, and no one has a DRAMA going on every freaking day. One of the best things about your story is the real life quality of it!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, if this story is boring why have you read it thus far? Just curious?

This, and all the fan fiction stories, are just that, stories; an escape, and entertainment. If you don't like, then don't read it.

Jan

Anonymous said...

omfg people. i thought there was freedom of speech but i guess i was wrong.

Anonymous said...

Anon - There is freedom of speech, but when you have read so many chapters to get this point and then the only thing you have to say is negative...well, as a fan fic writer myself, that's tough to hear. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but when your first comment is negative, well, those of us who have been along for the entire ride are a bit definsive of "our" story. Hope this comes through the way I meant it.

Opester said...

I hadn't expected this chapter to generate so much controversy! I do appreciate the comments, but the cats are significant characters in MY story and for Trish, who has no children, they are her kids and her struggle to be a good mom while wanting to be with Jon IS the conflict here. It's been my intent to try and reflect real emotional struggles that people would encounter as they build a life together rather than to create unrealistic adventures to generate tension and drama. It is often the inner conflict beteween competing desires that is the fabric of real life. This is also MY fantasy, so the cats will continue to play prominent roles, just as they would in my life. I chose to share this with folks in the hope that others will find some pieces particularly relevant in their lives, but I realize some aspects will resonante more than others and I hope that everyone who reads this finds something special that they can take away-even if only a brief escape from their daily life. I do respect all feedback, both positive and negative, however a balance regarding what works and doesn't work for people would be appreciated. Surely after 150 chapters there must have been something that you liked?

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I totally love this chapter. :)
I really enjoyed reading the beginning when Jon and Trish were on the plane with the cats.

Sheena

Ana said...

I like to see their daily life and how they try to manage their problems. At least is nice to see that they're just normal persons with normal issues.
I laughed when Trish told Jon about that the cats don't like not being in control, just as himself. It seems that they have more things in common that he would never have expected.