Friday, April 25, 2008

The Sauna Part 158

We boarded the plane after Jon made a stop at the newsstand and picked up a paper to read on the flight. He grimaced as he hauled the two suitcases up the stairs and I reminded him it was his idea to only bring two. Vicky smiled as she greeted us and I think she rather enjoyed seeing him struggle with them as she winked at my comment. We settled into our seats and prepared for take-off.

Once we were in the air, she came around and brought us coffee and I noticed immediately that it was Timmy’s. I thanked her for going to the trouble and she nodded at Jon who’d insisted. I smiled at him as she proceeded to ask about lunch and listed the choices.

“Is it going to be a long flight then?” I asked, thinking I could wheedle a little information, but Jon was too quick.

“Don’t tell her a thing! This whole trip is a secret from everyone but you and the crew” he grinned.

“I know, I remember. You only told me five or six times” Vicky said, shaking her head.

“Yeah, but she’s clever so you’ll have to be careful” he added, nodding towards me.

I swore I wouldn’t try to get her to spill the beans anymore and I chose the chicken salad on a croissant for lunch and Jon went for the Reuben. She disappeared off to the galley and began preparing the sandwiches as it was getting close to lunch anyway. Jon glanced at the paper while I tried to read my book, but I was too excited to concentrate, so I began writing in the travel journal I’d picked up at the bookstore.

“Whatcha got there?” Jon asked, looking over at what I was writing.

“It’s a travel journal so I can write all about our adventures and my thoughts along the way” I replied, still writing.

“So what are you writing already?” he demanded as he tried to wrestle the book away from me.

“I guess you’re the only one who’s allowed to keep a secret?” I teased, but I didn’t really mind.

“Is it about me? Did you write about me?” he asked as he stubbornly continued to tug on the book.

After a struggle, I handed it to him finally and he grinned like a little kid who got what he wanted. I imagined that even as a little kid, Jon usually got what he wanted. Who could resist him?

He opened the book and read:


December 5th, 2007

We left home this morning after Jon finally worked things out between him and Richie and I’m glad. It would have been harder to leave with things so unsettled. I still have no clue where we’re going, but as long as I’m with him it hardly matters. Two whole weeks with Jon all to myself… I can hardly wait! He just noticed I’m writing something and Mr. Curiosity has to know what it is

“Okay, I’m sorry. I’ll let you write in peace” he said sheepishly as he handed me back the book and I laughed.

Vicky brought in our lunch and we ate while I pondered where we might be heading. I tried to recall places we’d talked about and I couldn’t remember any place that Jon had mentioned wanting to go. I hadn’t traveled that much myself, but Jon had been all over the country; all over the world actually. I looked out the window, trying to imagine what he had planned that would require heavy clothes as well as a bathing suit.

I went back to trying to read my book while Jon returned to his paper. Vicky left us to our own devices for the most part, but we behaved like model passengers and appeared completely respectable when she returned to see if we needed anything. She brought us each a glass of champagne and Jon raised his glass for a toast.

“To us … and the closest thing to a honeymoon” he purred.

He looked quite satisfied with himself and I trusted his judgment, but I was getting anxious to know how long a flight it would be. It was mid afternoon and we’d been in the air for about four hours and I was feeling antsy. I raised my glass for the toast and kissed him.

“Jon, how much longer until we land?” I asked, hoping for just a small hint.

“Pretty soon. We should be there in about an hour” he said, checking his watch.

I was getting excited now that I knew we were close, but the time really gave me no clue as I had no sense of what direction we had headed. If we’d gone north, I assumed we were somewhere over Canada and east would have put us over the ocean, or so I thought. I doubted we were heading south as we had just left Florida only a week ago, so I tried to picture where we might be if we’d gone west.

“Trust me, baby” he smiled, pulling me closer.

I leaned my head on his chest and he stroked my hair while I wondered at my good fortune. I had never felt so special or so cherished in my whole life. I was amazed that Jon would devote so much time to me when he had a tour coming up and so many other responsibilities to consider. I didn’t know when he had even found the time to plan a trip and I marveled at his desire to do so. I truly felt blessed as I thought about all the small things Jon did for me in addition to such a grand gesture.

Vicky reappeared to take our glasses and informed us that we would be landing shortly and I felt the change in pressure as we started our descent. Jon squeezed my hand and I could tell that he was starting to get excited as well. I looked out the window, but I still had no idea where we were, but I did see snow. The plane landed smoothly and we got ready to disembark.

“Do you know where we are yet?” he asked, grinning.

“Well, it’s not Florida” I observed.

“We’re in Durango” he announced as we walked into the airport.

“Colorado? Oh Jon, I love Colorado! How did you know?” I breathed.

“You mentioned it once and I decided then that that’s where we’d go” he smiled.

Jon dropped the suitcases and stood for a moment while I hugged him. He had remembered. I could hardly believe he had picked up on something I barely recalled telling him about. He took my face in his hands, and tilted it up to look at him.

“Did I do good, babe?” he asked anxiously, again reminding me of a little boy.

“Are you kidding? Colorado is my favorite place in the world! Have you been here before too?” I gushed, wanting to show him all the places I loved.

“Yep, I’ve always loved this area as there’s a little bit of everything, all within driving distance. Let’s get a cart and get these bags out to the limo. We still have an hour ride or so” he prompted.

We found a cart and loaded the suitcases onto it and made our way to the pick up area. There was a limo waiting and the driver hailed Jon, recognizing him right away. We climbed in the limo and we were on our way. I realized we were headed toward Pagosa Springs and I told Jon how much I had wanted a chance to try the hot springs there when I had passed through on a previous trip.

“We can check out the hot springs later, but let’s grab dinner first. I’m starving!” he suggested, reading my mind.

We arrived at a wonderful restaurant which specialized in Indian food and I was tickled to see that Jon had a taste for that too as my ex would never even try it with me. We enjoyed a fabulous meal of spicy chicken dishes, some with curry and some with paprika, but my favorite thing was the tea. It was a heavy, aromatic tea brewed with spices and milk and I gave up my coffee, preferring that instead.

I had assumed we were staying in the resort at the hot springs, but as the limo drove past the turn off I began to wonder what other surprises Jon had in store for me. We were in the midst of the most inspiring scenery I could imagine and I was surprised that there weren’t more songs written in homage to the Rocky Mountains.

“Jon, this is the most beautiful area I have ever seen! I remember driving through here on a trip once a few years ago and wishing someday I could come back here. It just takes my breath away! I can hardly believe that I’m here with you. How could you possibly have known?” I breathed.

“As much as I’d like to let you think I’m psychic, the truth is that I saw some of the pictures on your computer one day while you were at work. I had a lot of free time and that’s when I started to plan this idea. I did a little research and found this place and it reminded me of the pictures I saw and well …” he explained, but I didn’t let him finish.

I covered his mouth with my own and climbed into his lap as I had no words that could express how happy he made me. My actions would have to speak for themselves. He slid his arms around my waist, drawing me tight against his chest, as he kissed me back fervently. I could feel his excitement rising as his hand crept under my shirt to fondle my breasts and he whispered hoarsely in my ear.

“We’ll be pulling in the driveway any minute, baby” he said in a strained voice.

2 comments:

Sunstreaked said...

I love how Jon remembered something that Trish had mentioned casually and then made her "wish" come true by doing so. It shows how much be pays attention! Bet Vicki remembers the Tim Horton's coffee after this and I wouldn't be surprised if it was on board from now on!

Ana said...

How nice is it!
I'm living this trip as I was there!
I love the love between them, sigh.