Monday, April 14, 2008

The Sauna Part 148

Once outside in the changing room, we burst into laughter and it took several moments before we caught our breath. We both had a real disregard for conventional behavior and a penchant for breaking the rules and that made for a dangerous combination. I was just grateful that it hadn’t been Vicky who’d decided to check out the sauna or there’d be no possibility of redemption then.

We put our robes back on and headed back to our rooms. I tried to behave when we were in the elevator, but Jon was in a playful mood and was relentless in his efforts to untie the belt that held my robe closed. I slapped his hand away several times, but it was a half-hearted attempt to discourage him at best.

“C’mon, you know you want me” he teased me.

“Eeewww, you’re sweaty and grubby” I complained, making a face.

“Yeah, I know, and I’m irresistible too” he grinned, pinning me against the wall as he fumbled with the belt for the third time.

“Jon, stop it-we’re gonna get caught!” I tried reasoning with him.

“You like that idea as much as I do, admit it” he challenged, turning my face to look directly at him.

He slipped his other hand inside my robe, his finger probing me to prove he was right. I started to protest, but my mouth went dry, my heart was pounding and I’d have been a liar if I denied it. The possibility of discovery only heightened the excitement and he knew it and he knew me. There were no secrets between us.

I untied his robe in answer, but the elevator stopped, saving us from ourselves. The hallway was empty and we had managed to avoid exposure yet again, but we were both aroused by the possibility and ready to continue what we’d started.

Once inside the room, we shed our robes and I pulled Jon along to the shower. I bent over to turn on the water and Jon grabbed my hips, sliding into me from behind. I caught my breath as I gripped the sides of the bathtub for balance. He slapped my ass and I squealed, coming almost instantly. His fingers dug into my flesh harder and he released his load in only a few short thrusts.

“Shit” he observed, surprised by how quickly that happened.

“Maybe now we can bathe?” I asked as I straightened up and turned to face him.

“Yeah, baby, I think I’m really done now” he chuckled.

We finally made it into the shower and bathed, the warm water and suds wiping away all evidence of the morning’s adventures. The sun was beginning to come out and the snow had stopped. Jon called Vicky and she confirmed that the airport was open and that she and the crew were just waiting on us.

It was a short flight and we flew into Buffalo at about eleven that morning. I was anxious to get home and see my babies, so we rented a car rather than waiting for a limo to be available. Jon was hungry and we opted for the drive-thru at Tim Horton’s in order to make better time. It was beginning to snow again as we pulled in the driveway.

I opened the door to the house and we were greeted by a horde of screeching cats. Cherie had left them a supply of food, but they’d finished it all and were demanding a refill. Jon got them fresh water and I replenished their supplies while they scarfed down their meal, barely acknowledging that we were home.

“Wow, what a welcome” I lamented.

“They have their priorities” Jon observed, hugging me as we watched them devour their food.

We brought the suitcases in from the car, pausing first to inspect the new hot tub on the patio. It looked more like a mini spa and was large enough to accommodate six people comfortably and I wished the weather was such that we could have tried it. I hugged Jon and deeply appreciated his thoughtfulness.

I wanted to do our laundry from the trip and Jon built a fire as the house was fairly cold. I figured the cats would be grateful too and perhaps they’d forgive us for leaving them once they were able to snuggle in front of the hearth. They had essentially ignored us since finishing eating and appeared far more interested in the suitcases than us. The laundry was in and the house began to lose its chill as the fire took hold and Jon threw another log on the brazier.

“Come and sit down” he encouraged, patting the sofa.

I poured us each a glass of wine and joined him in front of the fire and we talked about our plans for the near future. The cats eventually tired of investigating the suitcases and wandered in to join us, unable to resist the fire. Beowulf was the first to forgive us as she hopped onto the couch and curled up in Jon’s lap and he patted her head.

“So, what are the plans?” I inquired, curious to know what to expect.

“Well, I was thinking we could close up the house here and get ourselves settled in Jersey and then I wanted to take you away for a few weeks before the tour swings into full gear. We’ve got a couple gigs at Giants around Christmas and then in January we start Europe” he shared.

“I need to start getting involved in the fan club too and start planning the Foundation, remember. Did you tell your mom about that?” I wondered.

“Actually, no, darlin’. I guess I’m dreading that as much as you dreaded telling your father about quitting your job. I don’t want her to think I was unhappy with how she was running it, so I have to choose carefully how I approach the subject” he said, scratching his chin.

I understood that it would be a delicate topic, especially given his mother’s enormous ego. I didn’t think she would appreciate being replaced by me in particular, but I was anxious to start feeling productive again and figured I could start with setting up the Foundation. I didn’t envy Jon the task he had ahead of him.

“Have you thought about how to tell her?” I asked.

“I was hoping to wait until after the holidays, but I was thinking I’d tackle it by suggesting that she deserved to retire at the end of the year. We’ll have to plan a party and make the announcements” he added, thinking it through.

“That sounds like a good strategy, love, but you’d better start having the conversations now if you want to make the transition by then” I prompted.

Jon made a face, but he nodded, knowing I was right about this. He really wasn’t looking forward to it and he knew his mother was likely to resent being replaced no matter how he framed it. Her role with the fan club gave her some status with his fans even though he realized she had actually done little to truly manage its operation.

“Get me the phone, no time like the present I suppose” he agreed resignedly.

I got up to get the phone as we didn’t want to disturb Beowulf who was purring contentedly on Jon’s lap. I handed it to him as I refilled his wine glass without asking, knowing he’d need it. It meant a lot to me that he was willing to risk an argument with his mother on my behalf.

“Hi mom, it’s me” he said pleasantly when she picked up the phone.

“Jon? Are you home?” I heard her ask.

“We’re in Buffalo and planning to be back in Jersey shortly, but there’s something I’ve been thinking about that I wanted to discuss. Mom, you know how much I appreciate all the work you’ve done over the years with the fan club, but I’ve been thinking. It’s time that you retired so you and dad can have more free time and maybe travel, or just relax. Dad’s been retired now for years and it’s time you took a break now too” he ventured.

“Oh Jon, don’t be ridiculous. You know I don’t mind doing it and it hasn’t been that much work” she reassured him.

“I know you’ve never complained, and as I said, I am grateful for everything you’ve done, but I want you to relax and not have to deal with all the details and nonsense that goes on there. I’m thinking we could celebrate your retirement with a huge party at the end of the year and then Trish can take over in January” he announced, closing his eyes and holding his breath.

I laid my hand on his arm and waited. Jon was good and he had approached a difficult topic with great skill, but I knew the mention of my name as her replacement would open a can of worms and from the look on his face, he knew it too. No matter what spin he put on it, his mother wasn’t going to give up her throne gracefully.

“What? Who? Jon, you’re being absurd. What does she know about business or how to run the club? I’m not going to let you ruin your reputation by putting someone who has no experience in charge, so just forget it. I will continue to run things, just as I always have, and that’s that” she said with a note of finality.

“Mom, this isn’t up for debate. I’ve already decided this and I’m not going to argue with you about it. Trish has a great deal of experience in management, which you’d know if you’d bothered to talk to her at all” he said firmly through gritted teeth.

I could feel the muscles in his arm tense as he said it and I was surprised he let his annoyance with her recent behavior slip out. He wasn’t used to having his decisions challenged either, not by his mom or anyone else for that matter.

“Carol, it’s Jon’s decision and I agree. It’s time to let go” his father chimed in.

“What have I done to deserve being treated like this? How can you do this to me? How can you make such a rash decision and throw away everything I’ve done? What has that woman done to you?” she screeched through a sob.

Jon was angry now and no longer sympathetic. He was fed up with his mother’s selfishness and demands and he wasn’t going to allow her to play the martyr. The truth was that she hadn’t done a good job running the club and had contributed to the divisiveness he so hated by playing favorites and abusing the power he’d given her and he said so.

“Don’t start playing the victim here with me; it won’t work. It’s because of you that some of my fans felt alienated to begin with and I’m sick of your whining and complaints. Trish is my wife, whether or not you accept our marriage as valid, and I expect you to shape up and treat her with respect or there will be trouble. That much I promise you” he said menacingly.

I could hear Carol wailing on the other end and I felt terrible that I was the source of this rift between them. I knew Jon could get angry, but I hadn’t expected him to blast her with all of his resentment like this. He was furious and the more she protested, the more enraged he was getting. I was really beginning to hate her.

“Carol, stop it. Jon’s right and it’s time you gave this all up. I’m sure he’s considered this carefully and it is up to him. You need to respect his decisions and his wife” I heard his dad say in Jon’s defense.

“Mom, I’m not going to argue about this anymore. I’ve made my decision and it’s done, so accept it. I’ll make the announcement on the boards myself and we’ll plan a grand retirement party and that’s the end of it. Do you understand me?” he fumed.

Carol hung up on him, but at least the worst was over. His father assured him he would talk to her and supported his decision. I liked his dad even more than ever.

“Son, I’m proud of you and it was time you stood up to her. I said as much myself about the way she behaved towards Trish and I’m glad you called her on it. Don’t worry about it anymore, I’ll handle her” he said reassuringly.

“Thanks dad. I’m sorry to put you in the middle and I should have done this in person while we were there, but I knew she’d behave like this. She’s gonna be miserable to live with right now” Jon said apologetically.

“Don’t worry about it; I’m used to your mother’s tantrums. Just go ahead and take care of business and do what you need to do. And give Trish my apologies for your mother’s behavior” he added before saying goodbye.

Jon took a deep breath and set the phone down. He looked weary, but much of the anger had dissipated and he seemed more exasperated and disappointed. I was probably more angry myself now and I felt really incensed at his mother, but more because of what I gathered Jon had lacked from her his whole life rather than just simply this particular incident. Her selfishness hadn’t just begun when Jon rocketed to fame.

“Jon, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. I wish your mother wasn’t so difficult, but it seems we both have had to contend with difficult mothers for a long time” I said, turning his face to kiss him.

“Thanks, baby, but I’m okay. I knew it would end up this way, but just like my dad, I’m used to it too. That’s why I understand about your mother. You and I have a lot in common; we try so hard to be different from our mothers” he said reflectively as he laid his head on my shoulder.

4 comments:

lori said...

Loved this chapter! So glad Jon and his dad stood up to Carol!

Sunstreaked said...

Wow! Truly great chapter! Surprised how Jon dealt with his mother, surprised at his mother, surprised even further by his dad. I love how you let what to me is a "realness" show through, i.e., Jon expecting certain things because of who he is, but also being just a regular guy with regular problems, like trouble with his mother. One of your best chapters yet!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't expecting Jon to be so blunt with his Mom. The reactions from all involved were exactly what I would have expected. I loved how Jon called his Mom out for her behavior towards Trish at the hotel. Anna

Shelly said...

I love it Opester!!

Great chapter hon as always!