Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Sauna Part 145

“Had enough yet?” Jon asked with a grin.

“Baby, I’ll never get tired of your loving” I replied honestly.

Jon groaned but he was laughing as he rolled over onto his back, taking me along with him. We had made love again all night and the more I had of him, the more I wanted. I couldn’t get enough and he seemed unable to deny me either. It was as though summer had come again for both of us.

“What am I gonna do with you, woman?” he said in desperation.

“Love me” I said simply.

And he did, again and again until the moon had risen high in the sky. The Goddess smiled on us and her light shone in our eyes. We fed on each other’s need until the dawn came again, finally collapsing in utter ecstasy for the final time.

There was no need for a wake up call this morning as Jon woke me with his kisses. It was just after seven and we were still alive and, surprisingly, none the worse for wear. Last night’s revels had been good for us, and rather than feeling drained, we were energized. Jon reached for the phone and called the front desk.

“Good morning! We’re awake and we’ll be checking out in a few hours, but would you mind sending up some coffee now?” he chirped into the phone.

He gave me his hand and pulled me out of bed, folding me against his chest. The light was beginning to fill the room and it looked as if it would be a gorgeous day. I could hear the birds chirping outside, heralding the morning.

“Shower?” I suggested and he nodded.

We bathed leisurely, enjoying the feel of the hot water cascading over us like a waterfall. My senses seemed especially heightened and everything appeared more intense. I buried my face against his neck, soaking in the feel of his body and the scent of him despite the odor of shampoo.

The coffee was waiting for us as we’d requested and I poured us each a cup. Jon lit a cigarette as I took a sip, noting that it had never tasted so good. Jon was humming “It’s My Life” and strutting around like a peacock and I couldn’t have stopped smiling if my life depended on it.

We dressed coolly, taking care to pack warmer clothes and our coats in the carry-on. It might be sunny and eighty degrees in Florida, but it was most likely snowing in Buffalo. Jon flicked on the TV and we watched the weather channel and had to laugh at our luck. The weather had apparently been unseasonably warm during the past week and now they were expecting a blizzard by nightfall.

“Snowed in with you and a fireplace doesn’t sound like torture” I crooned, slipping my arms about his waist.

“No, it doesn’t” he smiled, sipping his coffee. “As long as the airport is open” he added with a frown.

I hadn’t thought about that, but he had a point. Early snowstorms after a spell of warm weather meant the lake wasn’t frozen and we were definitely in the zone for lake effect. Gowanda was protected in the valley, but we had to get to Buffalo to get there.

“We might as well give it a try. Maybe we’ll make it before the storm. If the airport is closed we can land somewhere else, but at least we’ll be closer” he concluded, having pondered the options.

We made ready to go and I called Cherie to tell her there was a chance we might not make it back tonight if the storm came early. She was going to go to the house and check on the kids and refill their supplies this afternoon anyway, so they’d be okay if we didn’t make it in until tomorrow morning.

“Hi Cherie” Jon called into the phone.

“Let me talk to him a minute” she asked.

“What’s up, doll?” Jon said as he took the phone.

“I didn’t know if you’d told Trish about the surprise, but the hot tub is all done and it’s gorgeous. Wait ‘till you see it” she said excitedly.

“Good, good. Yes, she knows, but I’m afraid we won’t get to try it out until the Spring” he said, his mouth forming the familiar duck lips.

“Well, don’t rush to get here. Everything is fine and I can take care of the cats a couple more days if you need me to-just stay safe, okay?” she said anxiously.

“Thanks for everything, Cherie. We certainly owe you a huge debt. But don’t worry, we’ll be fine. I think we’ll get in before it gets bad. Besides, Mama misses her kids” he reassured her.

I was missing the cats and I wondered whether Jon might actually be missing them himself. I’d noticed he hadn’t referred to them as furry little devils in some time, but perhaps missing them was too strong a statement. He accepted them as part of my family.

“We should invite her and her husband to come and visit us in Jersey the next time there’s a show” Jon said thoughtfully as he hung up. “I’d like to do something special to thank them for taking care of things while we were away”

“That would be great and I’m sure they’d enjoy it, even if Cherie is a head banger” I laughed.

“I suppose I could learn some Ozzy” he said, only half serious. “We should go. The sooner we get outta here, the better”

We grabbed our bags and checked out at the front desk and Jon thanked the manager for excellent service during our stay. He also added an enormous tip onto the bill and I was glad as they had really taken great care of us and our families. Rick met us in the lobby and hoisted the bags into the limo. He’d be taking us to the airport, but he was planning to spend some more time in Florida since we wouldn’t be needing him for a while.

We said goodbye at the airport and I hugged him, thinking I had never said goodbye this often in my life. I thanked him for having made sure everything was perfect for my parents and my sister and that I knew it hadn’t been an easy task. There was a lot of running around and chauffeuring aside from the security detail and I knew that was outside his usual duties.

“It was my pleasure and actually a rather nice change of pace from guarding Jon’s backside” he teased and Jon gave him a punch in the arm.

“Seriously, thanks man. You did an amazing job and I know what a pain in the ass my mom can be sometimes and this was no exception. There’ll be something extra in your check, so have a great time here in Florida on me, okay?” Jon said, genuinely appreciative.

“Thanks, boss. Anytime” he smiled and with that we were on our way.

We settled into our seats and Vicky brought us coffee and informed me she had both lobster thermidore as well as chicken scampi stocked and ready when we got hungry. I wasn’t used to this sort of special attention from anyone besides Jon and I thanked her for remembering.

“What about me?” Jon asked petulantly, already thinking about lunch since we’d skipped breakfast.

Vicky assured him that his regular favorites were all on hand and offered to make him some hotdogs and eggs if he was hungry now. He really was used to being a pampered rock star and he thoroughly enjoyed his lifestyle. But he also took care of the people who took care of him and his loved ones.

Vicky went off to make him his meal and he sighed contentedly as he settled back in the seat, satisfied that he was still “king” in this castle. I couldn’t resist ribbing him a little about how easily he adapted to being spoiled.

“It’s all an act. I’m really just a simple man, but I play a rock star” he said as he flashed me that million dollar smile and I roared.

“What?” he said then, adopting his attempt at an innocent look and I howled louder.

He reached over and started to tickle me and I could barely breathe. He finally relented when I begged him to stop and swore my fealty to his highness. He seemed satisfied with that and reminded me about the penalty for disobedience and I bit my lip, trying hard not to laugh all over again.

“So, what did you think of my mom and dad?” he asked after Vicky served him his food.

I had been admittedly silent on the subject and that hadn’t escaped his notice. I had my opinion, but I’d been careful to avoid voicing it as I knew that Jon loved and respected his parents, but I wouldn’t lie to him either. He was too astute not to recognize that his mother’s behavior was not the best and had apologized for it several times to me as well as Rick. But still … she was his mom and this was a touchy subject.

“I thought your dad was a sweetheart and I really liked him a lot. I was surprised at how much you resemble him” I began, starting on safe ground.

“Most people compare me to my mother” he said in between bites.

“I could see you in her too, but your dad struck me as gentle and firm at the same time” I said, trying to acknowledge his comment while staying away from dangerous territory.

But Jon knew me too well. He was waiting and what I didn’t say spoke volumes. I was rarely silent on any subject and he sensed my discomfort, but he really wanted to know what I truly thought.

“It’s okay, babe, really. Tell me the truth and I promise I won’t take your head off” he prompted.

“Oh, Jon, I really didn’t like your mom a whole and she clearly didn’t care for me, but then she didn’t seem like she was very interested in getting to know me either” I blurted out, waiting to see how much he really wanted to hear what I thought.

I wished I’d found better words to express that, but there weren’t any. I doubted that calling her a self-centered, self-righteous, conceited bitch and a drunk would have gone over any better, even if it was closer to the mark. The truth was that her behavior had disturbed me greatly and I was hurt by her lack of interest in getting to know someone so important to the son she supposedly loved. Her attitude towards our marriage was no surprise and I expected that she wouldn’t approve, Wicca aside.

Jon had stopped eating and was looking directly at me, choosing his words. I felt a moment of panic and immediately regretted having said anything. I swallowed hard, hoping he would forgive me, but he’d asked me to be honest and I couldn’t take it back without being dishonest. The silence was deafening.

“I’m sorry. I wish I had a different impression but that’s how I felt” I said and he laid his hand on my arm to still me.

“I love my mother, but she acted like a real bitch and I’m the one who’s sorry. I make excuses for her, but I see how she is and I don’t like it. People compare me to her because I can be demanding and arrogant and I know it and I hope you’ll slap me if I ever get out of line the way she does at times. I don’t give a shit whether she likes you or not, I love you and you will always come first” he finished angrily.

His eyes were an icy blue and he was upset, but not with me. He realized far more than I’d thought and I was shocked that he saw her as his mirror. He could be stubborn and demanding at times too, but he was also infinitely tender and patient and perhaps Carol could be as well. I just hadn’t seen that in her.

“Jon, I will always try and get along with her because I love you and you love her. And maybe in time I’ll see the softer side in her too because that is what I see in you” I said finally.

“I appreciate that, baby. She isn’t always like that and she can be great with the kids and she does love me. She isn’t always selfish and rude, but if she ever treats you that way again I don’t expect you to keep quiet. Call her on it, or I will. You’re my wife and I expect her to treat you with respect” he said and he was done.

Vicky came to clear away the dishes and asked if there was anything else that we needed. She brought a fresh pot of coffee for me and Jon passed on the wine she offered him. I wondered if perhaps it was a conscious attempt to prove to himself that he was different from his mother.

“I love you, Jon, and it’ll be fine” I said as I squeezed his hand and he squeezed back.

“I love you too” he said as he closed his eyes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the talk between Jon and Trish about his parents...especially his mom. Trish knows that if Carol gets out of line with her she has Jon's blessing to stick up for herself. Enjoyed the chapter.

Sunstreaked said...

Gotta admit, Jon surprised me in this chapter. Thought he would be a bit more defensive regarding his mom and didn't think he'd see similarities between them. Can't see Carol dropping this issue of their marriage though...seems like there are going to be some ripple effects from her learning about this. You always keep me on my toes! Great chapter!