Monday, February 25, 2008

The Sauna Part 37

It was almost one o’clock when we finally made it into bed and fell asleep cuddled in each other’s arms. It was a good feeling and it had been a long time since I had felt really at peace myself. I guessed it had been just as long for Jon.

I woke to the sound of rain falling softly outside the window. Jon was snoring lightly and that made me smile. It made me happy to see him sleep so soundly. I looked at him lying beside me in the bed and thought how beautiful he was. His soft blond hair, curling slightly at the ends, was peppered with a little gray here and there, but barely noticeable amidst the blond. His skin was perfect and flawless, smooth and soft to the touch.

His eyes, though closed now, could melt my heart like no one ever had. At times they flashed and blazed with fire and mischief, and I imagined he was a force to be reckoned with when he was angry. Other times his eyes were warm and inviting, filled with love and tenderness. But most of all I loved how his eyes crinkled when he laughed. And then there was his mouth; the full, sensuous curves of his lips that formed that delicious smirk, but could instantly transform themselves into those ridiculous duck lips! I laughed slightly at the image.

The man could show a myriad of emotions on that beautiful face without saying a word. But today his face reminded me of a little boy, sleeping contentedly, his lips slightly parted as he snored happily, unaware that I was studying him so intently.

I needed to get up. I so didn’t want to, but I had to. I rolled onto my back and stretched. My body was stiff and sore, but it felt quite good at the same time, as I remembered why I was sore. I sat up and gathered myself together for the push I needed to get out of the bed. One last look at the man I loved sleeping beside me.

Okay. I got up. I was standing. So far so good. I walked rather stiffly to the shower and turned on the water. My thighs and stomach muscles were aching, but it had been well worth it. I stepped in the shower and allowed the hot water and steam to ease the ache. Eva wouldn’t be here for a few hours, so I had time to dawdle.

I washed my body slowly, noting the tender spot between my legs. A day away from Jon was not what I wanted, but it was what I needed to recover. My forty-four year old body didn’t bounce back like it used to. I lathered my hair and took my time, humming a tune softly to myself and thinking Jon hadn’t yet discovered that I couldn’t sing a note to save my life. Singing came as naturally as breathing to him, but try as I might, it just wasn’t possible. Even humming softly to myself, I could hear how off key I was and decided not to butcher a Jovi tune any further since I couldn’t do it justice. I rinsed my hair and opened my eyes as I heard the shower door open. Jon was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he stepped in along side me.

“Morning, babe” he said as he slipped his arms around my waist and drew me to him and kissed my neck.

“Good morning, love. I didn’t expect you to be up this early!” I commented, surprised.

“I woke up to pee, and saw you were here and remembered you’re going out with Eva today. Is she picking you up or should I take you to meet her?” he asked, scrubbing his face under the water.

“She’s meeting me here at about eleven. I didn’t want you to have to get up” I said.

“It’s okay. There are things I should do today anyway and I wanted to spend some time with you before you leave” he said, smiling. I was actually done with my shower, so I helped Jon wash.

“Are you as sore as I am? Every muscle in my body aches this morning” he asked me and I grinned sheepishly.

“Oh yeah, were we run over by a truck last night?” I joked.

“More like a steamroller, I think. But well worth it” he laughed, his eyes crinkling in the way I loved.

“You’re not kidding, mister!” I agreed.

We stepped out of the shower and dried off. Jon grabbed another towel and dried my hair.

“I’ll let you get ready while I go make some coffee” he said as he disappeared from the room. I combed out my hair and was still drying it when Jon returned with a steaming cup of fresh coffee.

“What do you want for breakfast? It’s my turn today” he asked.

“Can you actually cook?” I asked, really wondering.

“I can make cereal if we have some. I can cut up fruit too and make toast” he offered and I laughed then.

“There is no cereal, but I’m not a big breakfast eater anyway. Toast and fruit would be great unless you want me to make eggs? I have time” I suggested.

“No, no. Let me do this much” he said as he left again for the kitchen.

He was so adorable. I loved that he wanted to share making breakfast with me. I got dressed, my body still groaning as I pulled on my jeans and a shirt. I padded out to the terrace where Jon was sitting with his coffee, a newspaper and a plate of fruit, cheese and toast. The rain had stopped and the sun was out. There was a light mist over the patio and the rain glistened on every leaf. I sat down beside him and began to nibble.

“This is wonderful, it looks delicious. Anything interesting in the paper?” I inquired.

“Not too much. I was looking to see if there was any mention of the show last night. I wondered what the total in donations was” he replied.

“Does it say? How much did the tickets bring in, do you think?” I asked, wondering too.

“The tickets brought us about ten grand, but I’m hoping the donations brought in a lot more. I’ll call and find out later” he said, putting the paper down.

“So, where are you and Eva headed today?” he questioned.

“I don’t actually know. We talked about shopping and lunch, but not exactly where. I’m guessing we should be home before dinner. Will you be home?” I wondered, thinking I had no key and wasn’t really sure what our plan was.

“I think I’ll go into the city and try and take care of some business and maybe stop in and see Jakey and Romeo for a bit. I should be back by five or five-thirty, though, if not earlier. Let’s be sure we have each other’s cell numbers, tho, so we can check in. Maybe I can pick you up in the city and save Eva the trip. I’ll get a key made for you, though, for future. And here, you’ll need this if you’re shopping with Eva” he said, handing me his credit card and $300 in cash.

“Jon, I …” I began, but didn’t know what to say. He stopped me anyway.

“Hush. Take it. Remember, darlin’, we agreed about this?” he said, looking me square in the eye. His tone was serious and left no room for argument.

“Thank you. To be honest, I really couldn’t afford much besides lunch on my budget” I acknowledged.

“I know that. I want you to have fun and not worry about the money. That’s one thing I can take care of and I intend to do that. I’ll get you your own card so you don’t have to ask or wait for me to remember. Okay?” he said firmly.

I was still a bit shy about accepting a carte blanche invitation to spend his money, but I knew better than to argue. I picked up the credit card and money and stuck it in my pocket and repeated “thank you.”

“Is there anything I can get for you while I’m out?” I asked, thinking to help in any way I could.

“Buy yourself something special and anything you want or need to feel at home here. That’s all I want” he said simply.

“I don’t think we’ll be going to a pet store, babe” I smirked and he looked alarmed.

“A what? You miss your cats?” he said, realization dawning.

“I’m only kidding! But, yeah, I do miss them. I’ll be glad to see my babies on Sunday” I said. He looked relieved then, realizing his home was safe from furry invaders for the moment.

“You should see yourself! What a look!” I laughed.

“It’s just that I’m not quite ready for that. We won’t be here enough to take care of them and I don’t know the first thing about how to take care of them when you’re not here. Break me in gently, babe” he laughed and I touched his arm softly.

“I love you, Jon. I’ve no wish to traumatize you!” I teased.

“Thank you” he smirked at me.

The phone rang then and Jon answered.

“It’s Eva. She wanted to be sure we were up” he said, handing the phone to me.

“Hi Eva. We’re up and I’m good to go whenever you get here” I reassured her.

“Okay, good. I can be there in about twenty minutes if you’re ready” she suggested when Jon motioned to me.

“Hey, listen up. I’ve an idea” he said.

“Hang on, Eva. Just a second” I said, waiting for Jon.

“I’ve got to go into the city and I’ll be ready as soon as I shave. Why don’t I take you in to meet her and then when you guys are finished, call me and I’ll meet you and we can go to dinner” he suggested and I explained the plan to Eva.

“That’ll work. Let me talk to Jon and tell him where to meet me” she agreed and I handed the phone to him. They discussed it briefly and Jon hung up.

“Let me shave and we’ll get going” he said, standing up with a groan. “Oh, my aching back!” he smiled.

“Since the sun is out now, can we take the bike?” I asked eagerly.

“I had a feeling you’d say that. Yeah, we’ll take the bike” he said and went off to shave and I put away the remaining fruit and cleaned up the breakfast dishes while Jon got ready.

“Let’s go” he called. I was right behind him, anxious to wrap my arms around him and feel the wind in my face and the steel between my thighs.

No comments: