Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Sauna Part 104

The week flew by rather quickly despite missing Jon as much as I did. I was busy at work and the days were full and I quickly returned to my former habits of working late, having little besides the cats to rush home for. But the nights seemed like forever, with only the nightly call from Jon to look forward to and an empty bed waiting for me.

Jon was busy as well during the days and it was easy to get caught up in the flurry of interviews, meetings and appointments. On an impulse, he took the kids out of school on Wednesday and they all went to the zoo and spent the day together, seeing the animals and pigging out on junk food. After dropping off the kids, Jon had dinner with Tico and Eva, and they teased him about the fact that all he could talk about was me. So much so, in fact that he called me during dinner, but I had chosen to work late that night and only got the message when I got home.

“Hey babe, I’m here with Tico and Eva-Eva says Hey-and they’re sick of hearing me talk about you already. Call me when you get home so I know everything is okay. I miss you, darlin’. I love you.”

It was after ten o’clock when I got home. At the door, I found the third delivery of roses accompanied by another suggestive note and played back Jon’s message. I dialed his cell and I could hear the relief in his voice when he answered the call.

“Are you okay? Is everything alright? Where were you, baby?” he said anxiously.

“I just got home, love. I was working late, trying to finish a project I started. I’m sorry I missed you and Eva. The flowers are gorgeous! And the note, well … Babe, when are you coming home?” I said breathlessly.

“Tomorrow night, doll. I should be there when you get home. Lil’ Jon and I miss you bad” he cackled.

“I miss you too, both of you. I’ll be home on time tomorrow, I promise” I said, smiling into the receiver.

Jon chatted about the kids and the zoo, and he told me about the press conference he had scheduled for tomorrow and I shared a little about what had been happening at work. We caught up on each other’s lives, but I started to fade as midnight approached, and so we said goodnight, knowing tomorrow would bring an end to our separation.

****************************

The day passed quickly and I could feel my excitement growing as it grew closer to five o’clock. In fact, I was mostly useless by four and my boss, who I’d been working alongside as we wrote policies for our program finally shook her head and told me to go home. I grinned at her gratefully as I started packing up my gear.

“Are we all done then?” I asked hurriedly.

“No, but I can see you’re done for the day. Go home and say hello to Jon for me” she laughed.

I blushed, feeling a little embarrassed, but I thanked her and grabbed my stuff as I raced out to my car. The traffic was just starting as I left the city and I was glad to beat most of it as I drove home with a lead foot, singing wildly to ‘Lay Your Hands on Me’. I made it to Gowanda by four-thirty, and my heart started to beat faster as I pulled up the gravel driveway, scattering stones everywhere in my haste.

The back door was still locked, so I knew I’d beat Jon home and I hurried inside to freshen up and change my clothes. There was a message on the answering machine and I hit the button as I started undressing.

“Hi babe, it’s me. I wanted to be there when you got home, but the weather here is wretched and the damn airport is closed, but I’ll be there tonight. I’m taking the Chevelle and driving-at least I can get rid of that damn rental car-but it’s an eight hour drive, so I won’t be home until late tonight, probably around midnight or so. Keep the faith, baby, and keep the fire burning for me, ’k? I love you and I WILL be home tonight.”

I grabbed the phone and dialed Jon’s cell number immediately, worried about him driving if the weather was so bad that they shut down the airport. I didn’t think it could be snowing there, it was too early, but I worried about a storm and my mind raced as memories of the freak hurricane sped in front of my eyes. I caught my breath when I heard his voice.

“Hi babe. You’re home early, is everything okay?” he asked, sounding worried himself.

“Me? I’m fine! I left work early as I was too excited to concentrate, but what about you? Are you okay? What about the weather? Jon, please, be careful!” I said breathlessly.

“It’s okay, darlin’. Relax. There was a storm in Jersey and they wouldn’t let the plane take off, but the driving has been mostly fine and I’m through the worst of it. I just couldn’t sit there in the airport and wait any longer. I miss you!” he chuckled.

“Oh Jon, I wish you wouldn’t take chances like that. Where are you?” I said, breathing a sigh of relief.

“I’m only about an hour outside of Jersey. I got a late start after screwing around at the airport and then going back home to get the car, but stop worrying. Trust me, okay? I know how to drive in the rain” he said and I could just picture the look on his face.

“Okay, just promise me you’ll pull over if you get tired, baby. I’ll be here. Okay?” I pleaded.

“Yes, wife, I promise to be a good boy” he teased.

“You’re just incorrigible, aren’t you? No wonder I love you, I always love a challenge” I teased back.

“I’m no challenge, doll, I’m easy. You can have your way with me soon as I get there” he said, smiling, but the reception was breaking up and I could just make out the last part.

“I’m losing reception, babe. Heading into another storm. Don’t wait up, I’ll wake you when I get in, okay?” he said, his voice breaking up.

“I’ll be here, love. Just be careful. I love you” I said, speaking loudly as if it would make a difference.

“Love you too” I heard before the call ended.

**************************

Jon needed to concentrate now as the weather had taken another nasty turn. He knew he had lied when he told me he had made it through the worst but he didn’t want to argue with me and he knew better than to tell me the truth. He was determined to get home tonight, and weather be damned, he would. He was glad that there wasn’t a lot of traffic as most people had heeded the storm warning and delayed their travel plans.

The car rocked back and forth as the wind buffeted it on all sides and he held the wheel with a death grip, cursing under his breath. A jagged bolt of lightening illuminated the sky and he steeled himself for the thunder he knew would follow. What he didn’t expect was the sudden flurry of hail that battered the car like a machine gun.

“Fuck!” he swore, imagining all the dings he would find in the custom paint job.

He turned the dial on the radio, hoping to find a weather station and started to swerve as he fidgeted with the knob. He was tired and agitated and he knew he should pull over, but he was determined to wait until the next rest area appeared. The announcement broke over the radio to warn travelers about the surprise hail storm and he laughed.

“Now you tell me!” he said to the radio as though it had betrayed him.

The thruway was closing at the exit he’d just passed and he thanked the Gods that he’d made it this far and was glad he hadn’t delayed leaving any longer. He switched on some music and blasted it, defiantly attempting to drown out the booms of the thunder as he kept his eyes on the road. He grinned as he heard the beginning notes of ‘Born to Be Wild’ and the weather began to clear.

He’d driven another hour when he saw the sign for the next rest area and considered pulling off for a cup of coffee now that he had made it through what he’d hoped was the worst for real this time. He smirked when he noticed it was a Tim Horton’s and put on his turn signal. He’d make better time after a quick stop and a little caffeine.

“Momma, I’m comin’ home” he hummed to the radio with a smile.

****************************

I went to the kitchen and made myself a pot of tea, something I always did when I wanted to relax and calm down. The reality that there was just as much caffeine in tea never mattered, it was still comforting and I was still worried. It was a long drive at the end of the day and the weather was probably worse than Jon had admitted. I went on the computer and searched for weather reports around Jersey and I wasn’t pleased when I saw they had predicted hail. I said a silent prayer to the Goddess to keep Jon safe and resigned myself to waiting it out.

I puttered around the house, straightening up, and made a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. More comfort food. I mulled some wine in a pot on the stove and poured myself a cup for good measure. I lit a few scented candles and put in a Jovi CD and started the fire in the fireplace before I curled up under some blankets and tried to read. Zeke came and curled up next to me, his furry head in my lap, and his deep, throaty purr was soothing. The warmth from the fire, the wine and the sleeping cat at my side began to lull me into a drowsy state and I closed my eyes.

I must’ve fallen asleep despite my intention to wait up. Whenever I closed my eyes, I had a tendency to fall asleep and tonight was no exception. Soon I found myself dreaming that Jon was there beside me on the couch, safe and sound. I could almost feel the softness of his lips pressed against my ear as he whispered my name.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AGAIN with the leaving us hanging! You are a mean evil woman Opester! ROFLMAO! Nice way to start my day with more chapters! Yes! You know I love this story and I intend to tell you. I am, however, still a little stuck on Chapter 96...told ya that image was burned into my brain!

Anonymous said...

Opie:

Now you have me worried that something wrong is going to happen.
Your ability to end the chapters this way, makes this a page turner!!!!

Canadian Carol

Anonymous said...

If you kill Jon off I'm gonna find you and kick your ass!! xD

Opester said...

Aaaawww, you guys misjudge me here...I would never leave you hanging...at least not for very long, hehehe!

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph brought me to tears. I've had dreams like Trish is having and in reality things were not so good. I hope this is not one of those times. Anna

Alina said...

I hope Jon will arrive home soon... It's horrible to wait for someone, especially if the person's in danger..

Oh and by the way -> it'a a great and exciting chapter!