Friday, March 7, 2008

The Sauna Part 77

Jon and Richie were drinking coffee at the kitchen table as we walked through the door. I came in first, grinning like a loon and feeling like I was about to bust. They both stood up and Jon walked towards me as I held the door open for Lainie.

“Can I help you with that?” Jon asked coolly as she came in, lugging her carry-on over her shoulder and she looked up.

Her mouth dropped open and the bag slid off her shoulder to the floor with a thud. The cats scattered at the sound and Jon bent to pick up the fallen luggage. Lainie was speechless and stood rooted to the floor, unable to move. She made a small unintelligible sound as Jon extended his hand.

“Hi. I’m Jon” he said casually and I laughed so hard I nearly wet my pants.

It was perfect. Jon flashed that brilliant smile he was famous for and I heard Lainie make another inaudible sound as he shook her hand. He was laughing now too as he pulled me against him for a kiss.

“Hey, babe, glad you’re home” he purred in my ear.

Richie was still standing by the table waiting patiently to be introduced. I tried to collect myself, but I could barely get the words out of my mouth. Jon stepped back, allowing Lainie a view of the kitchen and I saw her eyes grow wide with surprise as she noticed Richie stepping forward.

“Lainie, I think you may recognize Richie? He’s staying with us for the weekend” I stammered between giggles.

She hadn’t moved from the spot where she stood frozen, but I heard a very faint “Oh my God” as Richie took her hand and kissed it.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. Trish says you’re from Scotland?” he said politely.

“She really needs coffee. Is there any left, love?” I asked, guiding Lainie towards a chair at the table.

“Not much, but I’ll make a fresh pot” Jon offered.

“Oh, I almost forgot. I stopped at the bakery on the way to the airport. Jon, would you grab the box of brownies on the back seat?”

He disappeared out the back door and I started a fresh pot of coffee. Jon returned with the package and I arranged the brownies on the plate. I gave him a kiss as I whispered in his ear.

“The kitchen looks great! Thank you, baby.”

“You’re really enjoying this, aren’t you?” he smiled, nodding in the direction of Lainie and Richie.

“I haven’t had this much fun in years” I beamed.

Elaine had partially recovered and was attempting to answer Richie as he asked her about herself. I set the plate of brownies down on the table, figuring chocolate and coffee was the next best thing to alcohol since she didn’t drink. Jon and I stood back, his arms around my waist, as we watched with amusement.

Richie had a way of making people feel at ease and I could see Lainie starting to relax as he listened attentively. The coffee maker sputtered and belched, signaling it was done and I poured a cup for each of us. Jon and I carried them to the table and joined our two guests, though by this time Richie hardly seemed like a guest.

We chatted back and forth and Elaine asked if the story I’d told her in the car was the truth. I filled Jon and Richie in about how I’d “prepared” Elaine with the story of our meeting and she nodded in confirmation. Jon asked how long she and I had been friends and Lainie told the story about how we met through Backstage, connecting through email after I’d posted about my Dad’s stroke.

That was new information to Jon and I filled in a few details, assuring him it had been more of a scare than an ongoing concern. Zeke made an appearance but both Jon and another stranger were too much for him and he disappeared into Richie’s room. As it grew later, I excused myself to get some bedding and make up the couch downstairs and Jon accompanied me.

“Is Richie as taken with Elaine as he seems or is he just being his charming self?” I asked Jon when we alone.

“I’m not sure, it’s hard to tell. Richie’s a real gentleman, but your friend is a looker too” he commented.

“She is pretty, isn’t she? Her pictures are nice, but they don’t do her justice. They’d look rather good as a couple, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, babe, but remember, Richie’s a little gun shy after everything that’s happened. Let’s just see what happens” he said wisely.

“Lainie’s shy too. It would be unlike her to rush into a relationship anyway. I’m just glad they seem to be hitting it off” I said as we finished making the bed.

“Did she have more luggage besides this carry-on or doesn’t every woman take their entire closet when they travel?” Jon asked, eyeing the bag.

“There’s another suitcase in the trunk. Would you mind bringing it down?” I said pinching him in the arm.

“Okay, okay. I’m going” he laughed.

I set out some fresh towels for Elaine and an extra blanket and pillow as Jon came down the stairs hauling the other suitcase. He lifted it onto the chair next to the couch and looked around.

“So this is where the TV is. I wondered that there was only the little one upstairs in Richie’s room.”

“Yeah, this is sort of the “family room” actually. I don’t watch a lot of TV and I always hated the way the damn things spoil the ambience in a room. Do you miss it?” I wondered, realizing it was an odd little quirk of mine.

“Not really. As long as I know there is one with a couch. I did kinda wonder about that, but I know what you mean. Rooms end up being geared around it and it’s been nice not to have it so accessible. Keeps me from being a total couch potato” he said thoughtfully.

We headed upstairs and Jon paused, his eyes lingering over my artwork on the walls. I stopped and turned around to see what was keeping him and noticed he was looking curiously at the pictures. I remembered that the one I had done years ago from a photograph of him was hanging there too.

“I know. They’re pretty sad, aren’t they? I did them years ago when I took an art class. Can you tell that one’s supposed to be you, my favorite rock star even then” I joked as I pointed it out.

“Babe, they’re amazing. Do you still draw? You’ve got real talent” he said, running his finger across the one small self-portrait.

“You flatter me, but no. I quit after my ex made fun of them and I realized I had no talent. C’mon, let’s go to bed” I said as I turned.

Jon caught the hem of my skirt and stopped me. I turned back around and he moved up beside me on the stair. He was looking at me so intently.

“I think they’re beautiful and I’m flattered that I was a subject. And I will never make fun of you. Your ex was a fool to let you get away. But I’m no fool.”

He kissed me then and I blinked back the tears that had started to form. He held me close, stroking my back tenderly and I sighed. I didn’t think it was possible to love him more than I did. And yet each day that passed, I found myself loving him more.

“Thank you, Jon, for loving me” I said softly as I closed my hand over his.

“You make it so easy” he replied, squeezing my hand as we went up to the kitchen.

Richie and Elaine were laughing as we walked into the kitchen and I noticed that only a few brownies remained on the plate. I knew Elaine was as addicted to chocolate as I was to my coffee. It was after midnight and I was anxious to get out of my work clothes and close my eyes. I stifled a yawn and Richie grinned at me.

“I know what that means. Are you two heading to bed?” he winked at Jon.

“Yeah, I think we’d better. Somebody looks sleepy” he said, squeezing my waist.

“Do you mind, Elaine? You’re bed is all made up downstairs and you have your own bathroom, but the only shower is up here. Do you need anything before we say goodnight?”

“Nope, I’ve gorged myself on coffee and chocolate and I think I’ll say good night myself” she said, standing and stretching. “It’s been quite a day” she laughed.

“I guess that’s my cue to go to my room too” Richie chuckled and we all headed off to bed. Zeke followed behind the Pied Piper as Jon just shook his head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So looked forward to when Elaine walked into the kitchen to find Jon and Ritchie. Can just imagine her expression....priceless.
I don't like Trish's ex. How can you put down a person you presumably love. Good riddance to him.