Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Sauna Part 118

The morning was clear and crisp and I woke to a cold bed when I reached for Jon, finding an empty spot instead. The house was silent and still and I glanced at the clock to check the time. It was nearly eight o’clock.

I rose out of bed and threw on my robe against the chill in the air and went in search of Jon. I noticed there were crumbs in the food bowls and the cats weren’t demanding their breakfast, so I knew they’d been fed. There were crumbs on the kitchen counter too, so I knew Jon had been up and there was a fresh pot of coffee already made.

I looked outside and the cars were all there, so I assumed Jon went for an early run. I settled at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and picked up the paper to read while I waited. Jesse joined me about fifteen minutes later and we chatted while I poured him some juice and we discussed the breakfast options.

Jon arrived shortly, armed with doughnuts and pastry he’d picked up in town on his run and Jesse helped himself to the goodies, but I passed. I was never one for sweets that early in the morning. Jon munched on a doughnut while he sliced the pastry and I had to laugh-the man loved his treats!

Soon Jakey ambled into the kitchen, rubbing sleep from his eyes and I heard Romeo beginning to cry in the bedroom. Jon fetched the baby while I showed Jake the assortment his Dad had procured and got him a glass of milk. He grabbed a doughnut from the box and sat down, barely acknowledging me.

“So what would you like to do today, Jakey?” I asked, trying again to connect with this distant child while Jon made cereal for Romeo.

“What are we doing today, dad?” he chirped.

Jon’s eyes met mine and he looked at me sympathetically, but I felt stuck. I wasn’t that comfortable with kids to begin with and Jake’s aloofness wasn’t making it any easier.

“Babe, why don’t you tell Jake about some of the local places” Jon prompted.

I began to explain about several of the places nearby where we could go and while Jesse was listening, Jake picked apart his doughnut. I was beginning to feel tense and thought to myself that I had miserable clients I was better able to connect with than this stubborn child. I was running out of ideas and beginning to realize that nothing I said would please him unless I could get some idea of what he wanted in the first place.

“What do you like to do?” I asked, trying to be more charming than I felt at that moment.

“He likes cowboys and ranches, stuff like that” Jesse said, trying to be helpful.

“I know just the place!” I beamed, latching onto an idea as Jake actually raised his head to look at me.

“There’s a real buffalo ranch just outside Ellicottville that we could visit. They let you pet the buffaloes and they sell buffalo meat and …” I said excitedly.

“Buffaloes? Who ever heard of a buffalo ranch? That’s stupid” he interrupted.

I could see Jon was getting annoyed now too and I didn’t want there to be a fight. But this was the best idea I had and there weren’t many alternatives in November now that the amusement parks were closed and Pumpkinville shut down. It was still too early for skiing or winter activities.

“They have ostriches too” I offered, feeling that was likely less of an enticement but worth a shot.

“What’s an ostrich?” Jake asked, curious now.

“It’s a great big bird” Jesse offered.

“I don’t like chickens and farms. I want a pony!” Jake demanded peevishly.

“I’d like to see the buffaloes. Can we go, dad?” Jesse countered.

I was out of my element now and I knew it. I could feel the knot in my stomach tightening and I glanced at Jon pleadingly to step in. Dot would have known what to do, I was certain of that. He had a scowl on his face, but his voice was steady and stern.

“I think the buffalo ranch sounds perfect and I’d like to go too. We’ll do that today since we need to be back to the airport by three. Finish your breakfast and start getting ready and Jess, go get your sister up” he said in a decisive tone.

“But I don’t wanna go. I hate it here. I wanna go home” Jake whined.

“I’ll go and wake Stephanie” I volunteered, needing an escape and hoping Jon could settle this easier if I wasn’t there.

“Okay, thanks babe. It’s okay, I’ll handle this” Jon nodded to me before turning his attention to his petulant son as I hastily made my departure.


**************************


“Steph?” I called into the darkened basement. “Are you awake?”

“Yeah, sort of. What time is it?” she asked sleepily.

“It’s just about nine o’clock. Can I come down?” I asked, wanting to respect her privacy.

“Sure, it’s okay. I’m awake” she said agreeably.

I told her about our plans and she was more positive than Jake, but less enthusiastic than Jesse and I realized how hard it was to please kids of all different ages. But I was grateful for the opportunity to stay away from the kitchen.

“Your dad got us doughnuts and pastry this morning. Are you hungry?” I asked, stalling.

“Yeah, a little. Is everything okay? You look upset” she observed now that I’d turned on the light.

What a perceptive child, I thought to myself. I didn’t want her to have to comfort me, but I didn’t want to lie to her either. I always hated it myself when adults tried to pretend nothing was wrong when you knew something was up.

“I’m okay, Steph. I’m just a little concerned as Jakey doesn’t want to go, but there isn’t much else to do this time of year that I think he’d enjoy it. And I want him to enjoy himself and feel at home here, but he seems so unhappy” I acknowledged.

“Oh don’t worry about him. He can be a brat sometimes and he always wants his own way. Is dad getting angry?” she asked wisely.

“I’d say he’s a little irritated” I answered honestly, again struck by how intuitive she was. “You really know them all well, don’t you?” I laughed.

“Yeah, it’s nothing new, I guess” she laughed back. “I can picture the whole thing in my head” she said resignedly as she described what she imagined was happening and I guessed she was probably right.


*************************


It was quite a scene upstairs as Jon firmly set the limit with his son and Jesse backed him up. The baby started to fuss as Jakey continued to whine and argue, and eventually began to cry in a fit of temper. Jesse started making fun of him and calling him a baby and that only fueled the tantrum until Jon ordered Jesse to go take his shower and get ready.

Jon sat down at the kitchen table and took a deep breath. Now was as good a time as any to straighten his son out and get it over with. Jakey was whimpering and panting now, having spent most of his fury and Jon tried to remember that he was just a little kid and change was hard for him.

“Jakey, look at me and listen to me. I know this is hard and I know you may not understand all this, but I want you know that I love Trish and she is going to be part of our lives from now on. I would like it if you would try to get to know her a little and give her a chance” he explained patiently.

“But I don’t wanna. I want mommy. Why can’t you come home and be with mommy? I don’t like that other lady. And I don’t like this place. Why can’t we go home?” he demanded.

Jon’s eyes filled with tears and he looked away from his son, avoiding his gaze until he’d regained his composure. It hurt like Hell to see his kids suffering, but he needed to be firm now and help Jakey try to accept that his world had changed. Just because I have moved on, it doesn’t mean that Jakey has. I’ve gotta help him do that.

“Jakey, I love you and I will always love you. And your mom loves you too and she always will. We will always love you and we’ll always be your parents and we’ll always be there for you, but your mom and I aren’t in love with each other anymore. I love Trish now and she is a very important part of my life, just like you are. I want to share that part of my life with you too and I want Trish to get to know you too because I love you both” Jon said calmly, holding back his own tears.

Jakey was sniffling now and the baby had settled back down and was smooshing a doughnut between his fingers and cooing contentedly. Opie was under the table gratefully inhaling the crumbs that were falling to the floor in abundance and completely oblivious to the emotional scene he was witnessing.

“Okay, I’ll go to the stupid buffalo ranch. But I don’t have to like it and I don’t wanna talk to her. Do I have to talk to her?” he questioned, begging his dad to understand.

“Can you just try and be polite for now? Just pretend she is one of my grown-up friends and let her see how grown-up you can be too, okay? I’d really like it if you could try and talk to her a little so she doesn’t feel left out” Jon pleaded back.

“Okay, I’ll try. I love you dad” he sniffled again.

“I love you too, Jakey” Jon said, feeling relieved as he set Romeo down on the floor and hugged his son who reminded him so much of himself. “Now go get in the shower” he prompted as Jesse returned, dressed and ready.

Stephanie and I came up from the basement as Jon was pouring himself another cup of coffee and smoking a cigarette. I put my hand on his arm and looked at him questioningly and he smiled weakly, but he looked relieved. I could see his eyes were moist with unshed tears and he looked a little haggard, but the anger I’d seen earlier had vanished without a trace. It had been rough, but it must have gone well. There would be time for details later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two good chapters. I like how Stephanie has come around and it was very realistic with Jake. Kids all act differently and you portrayed that very well. Saw a previous post of 170 chapters! Yippee! Yep, happy dance again!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so Trish is going to have to work on Jakey. Guess, I couldn't expect everything to go smoothly. I have great faith in her though. I'm sure she'll be able to win him over.

Alina said...

Wow, well, that was quite hard for Trish. To hear Jake say those things. Okay, he's just a kid, and they're usually honest but for someone like Trish who isn't used to handle kids it must be quite hard.

But Jon is a great father. I love to read how he could handle his kids that well :)