Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Sauna Part 62

“What happened here? There is nothing in my experience that could have prepared me for that!” Jon said finally, turning to face me with a look I wasn’t quite sure how to interpret.

“Maybe nothing in this lifetime, Jon” I replied pointedly and smiled at him.

“I don’t understand. Tell me what you mean” he asked, sincerely not quite getting the full gist of what had happened.

“Baby, what you felt was the connection with the divine, the God and Goddess within each of us. The spiral dance, in a manner of speaking. What you also felt, or at least what I felt, was the power of memories from a past life where I believe we were lovers” I explained, closing my eyes heavily. The experience had left me drained and I wasn’t sure I was up to a long dissection of what I felt. I wasn’t that sure myself, it was new to me as much as it was to him and I needed time to absorb the experience and make sense of it myself.

He was silent then, taking in what I had said. The first part I was sure of, but the latter part was only a guess. I had wondered about it and I had marveled at how making love with him had felt so much like coming home. It was so familiar although we’d only known each other a short time. I was following this thread of logic in my mind when his next question made me laugh.

“Is it always like that for you? I mean …when we make love?” he asked innocently.

“Oh my God, No! It’s always intense and intoxicating, yes. But no, I rarely feel the presence of the God and Goddess that strongly. I don’t think I could stand it. I can barely move now!” I laughed.

The look he gave me then was a mixture of both pride and relief, followed by a smirking grin. I laughed even harder.

“And to answer the next question …No, I’ve never felt like that with anyone else” I reassured him, knowing I’d read his thoughts when the grin grew into a brilliant smile.

“So you think we were lovers in the past?” he asked next.

I wasn’t really used to processing my thoughts out loud, but if anyone could persuade me to do this, it was Jon.

“I’m not certain and I don’t claim to have any specific memory of us in a past life. It’s just a feeling, really. Like something so comforting and familiar. It just feels so natural to be with you. Almost like I found something I’ve always searched for, long before I knew it was missing. Does that make sense?” I asked, trying desperately to put it into words.

Now it was Jon’s turn to chuckle as he drew me close to him, laying my head on his chest as he kissed my head, tenderly smoothing my hair.

“I just call that being in love” he said simply.

Maybe he was right. Maybe it was that simple. I certainly was not the expert here. It was enough to know he shared that same feeling. I snuggled closer into his warmth and nodded, for I had no doubt I was in love with the man.

“It’s getting cool” he observed as I shivered slightly in the light breeze that whispered through the pines. “And it’s getting dark.”

I noticed that the sun had fully set as we lay there, entwined in each other arms. And it was indeed growing dark. Soon there would be little light to make our way out of the woods and back to the car. Reluctantly I broke our embrace and sat up, looking for my dress, and Jon reached across me and found it near my feet. He handed it to me with a sigh.

“And you have to work tomorrow” he remembered.

“And you haven’t even had dinner” I groaned, looking at the knapsack, still unopened.

“We can eat at home, babe. Actually, I’m more tired than hungry, if you can believe that” he yawned, as he rose and pulled me to my feet and I giggled. I believed him.

I pulled my dress on over my head and looked up at the sky peeking above the canopy of branches. The evening star was just visible above the horizon and I pointed to it. Jon finished stepping into his jeans and looked in the direction I was pointing.

“Look! It’s Venus! The evening star” I exclaimed.

“Venus? The star of lovers?” he asked, following my gaze, and I nodded excitedly.

He stood behind me, sliding his arms about my waist as I dropped my head onto his shoulders. It was not extraordinary to see Venus now, at this time of year, but it seemed a good omen to us both.

I reached up behind me, tilting my head back, and laced my arms around Jon’s neck and he bent down to kiss me. It had been a magikal evening, but the real world was calling. I sighed deeply, and hesitated for a moment longer, savoring the feel of his strong arms around me. He reached up and covered my hands with his, drawing them down again about my waist, and gave me a little squeeze.

“Let’s go home, baby” he whispered and I nodded, silently thanking the Goddess for the blessings she had given me this night.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY LOVED this chapter!

Opester said...

Thank you angael2000! And thank you to all the folks that have made it this far- I am so appreciative for all the comments people have left and I want to acknowledge all of you who have followed the story so faithfully! You have all been a great source of support at a time when it means a great deal to me! Blessed Be,
Opester

lori said...

I just love this! I hope this isn't the last chapter.

Opester said...

Oh, Gosh, no! Sorry, Lori-I didn't realize how that sounded-no, it is nowhere near the last chapter-I just wanted to thank all you folks who have been there with me for the ride-still lots more to go!

Queenie said...

Thank goodness there's more. This is a wonderful story. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I just found this story and absolutely love it!
Can't wait to have time to finish it.