Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Sauna Part 80

I took my pad and read what I had written, making a few minor changes before picking up where I left off. Jon was writing a song for his varar, and I decided I would transcribe mine in calligraphy and embellish it with drawings since that was my artistic expression and Jon seemed to like my work. I finished finally after reminding myself that it was not the last opportunity I would ever have to tell him how I felt. It was really more my promise to him and a symbol of my commitment.

Lainie came upstairs to model her outfit, a long peach colored skirt with silver and gold threads and a white tank top. She looked beautiful and I thought it was perfect for the occasion. The shoes were a problem though, as she had brought sneakers and heels, but I found a pair of garden clogs that fit her and weren’t too uncomfortable.

She sat down at the table and watched as I re-wrote my vows in calligraphy and began to sketch a few images along the margins. Opie sat on her lap, purring loudly, as she stroked his fur and he began to knead her thigh.

“Owww!” she cried, startled, as his claws caught in her flesh.

I looked at the contented cat on her lap, his eyes half-closed as he continued to knead, oblivious to her cry of pain. I reached over and dislodged the talon that was stuck in her leg, and he opened his eyes, momentarily interrupted.

“So, how does Jon feel about all the cats?” she asked, having heard the stories about his lack of fondness for felines.

“He loves me in spite of them. And he knows they come with the package” I murmured, concentrating on my drawings.

“He must really love you” she smiled.

I looked up at her then and saw the warmth in her eyes. Elaine and I were very different in our beliefs, and in our lifestyles, but she was like a little sister to me in many ways. I was glad she was here and that she seemed more relaxed now about the situation.

“What do you think of Richie?” I asked her, wondering about her impressions now that all the shock had worn off.

“He’s even more gorgeous than I’d thought, and his eyes are almost hypnotic. I lose my train of thought when he looks at me with those deep, dark eyes” she chuckled.

“You know it’s over between him and Denise, really over. And I think he’s really lonely” I replied softly and she raised her brows questioningly.

“He misses Heather, but especially Ava. He’s a good man, Lainie. He may seem a bit reckless, but he’s a gentle soul and I think he needs someone who can appreciate him for who he is, not what he is. And I’ve seen him watching you when you aren’t looking” I said gently.

“Really? Me?” she asked, surprised, and I nodded.

“Elaine, you’re a beautiful woman. Why not you?” I answered.

I heard the car pull in the driveway and looked up to see Jon and Richie approaching. They were smiling and laughing, so I assumed it had gone well. Jon strode in through the back door, grinning broadly.

“Richie’s a free man!” he announced.

“They kept us waiting forever, but once we saw the D.A. it was pretty much a done deal. I’m glad that’s over” Richie added.

“What happened? Did you get a speeding ticket or something?” Elaine asked innocently, not having heard the story yet.

“Not exactly” Richie answered sheepishly. “I did something really stupid.”

Jon sat down beside me and I covered the parchment I had been working on as I wanted it to be a surprise. He reached out and took my hand in his and looked at me anxiously.

“Baby, I was just thinking. What about rings? We have none” he said, stroking my ring finger which still bore the silver cat ring.

“Oh no! I completely forgot!” I lamented, wondering how I could have forgotten something so important.

“There’s still time, darlin’. Why don’t we take a ride to the city and find a jeweler?” he suggested.

“You’re right, we have time. Would you guys like to come with us or stay here and relax a bit?” I said, turning to Richie and Elaine.

“I think I’ll stay here and practice the song a bit, if Elaine will keep me company?” he said beseechingly.

“I’ll stay here too and finish those garlands and Richie can tell me the story of how he managed to get arrested here in Mayberry” she smirked at him and Richie grinned winningly.

“C’mon, then, babe, let’s go. I have a surprise for you too” Jon said, pulling me up and towards the door.

I grabbed my purse and we went outside and I wondered what Jon was up to as he lifted the garage door. There inside was the Harley, sitting in the space he and Richie had cleared out in the garage. I caught my breath and stopped dead, speechless, as Jon slipped his arms about my waist.

“Do you like it? I got it yesterday after we came home from your office. Wanna take the HOG?” he asked, a devilish smile forming as he looked at me with amusement. “You aren’t the only one who can plan a surprise!” he said as I hugged him.

“It’s gorgeous! Of course I wanna take the bike” I said, caressing it lovingly.

He tossed me a helmet and we hopped on while fastening his own and helping to adjust mine. I wrapped my arms around him as the engine purred and we roared out of the driveway and headed for the city.

I directed him towards a place I knew would have a selection of appropriate gemstones, explaining that a jeweler would never have what I had in mind. I had my heart set on a moonstone to represent the Goddess and explained about the various stones that symbolized the God. We only had to go as far as Hamburg to find the place I knew would carry them.

We browsed through the assortment of rings and a particular one suddenly caught my eye. It was a medium-sized moonstone in an antique silver setting that had a Celtic scrollwork design. I held it up and admired the fire in the stone as it caught the light.

“Don’t you want something bigger?” Jon asked, studying it, as he slipped it on my finger in place of the cat ring which I shifted to my other hand.

“No, this is perfect. I love the design and the stone has amazing fire in it” I said as I modeled it for him.

“Okay, then that’s the one” he agreed and we headed over to look at the men’s rings.

“I don’t know what stones I should be looking for, babe. Can you help me?” he asked, plucking one out of the display case and holding it up for me to inspect.

I looked at the ring that Jon was holding and asked if he felt drawn to it, but he shook his head and placed it back in the case. I suggested that he consider amber or carnelian to represent the God, or possibly onyx or garnet, the latter being my birthstone and also representing masculine energy.

Jon did not appear attracted to the amber and there was only one carnelian which didn’t fit. I noticed he seemed more drawn to the onyx and mentioned that I thought it suited him. I also liked the way it contrasted with my chosen favorite, the moonstone, as they almost seemed to be opposite twins. One in particular drew my attention, but I wanted Jon to find the one that spoke to him and I was tickled when he suddenly seized it and slipped it on his finger and it fit perfectly. He stared at it for a moment and then looked at me for approval and I nodded eagerly.

We browsed about the store a bit more and I spied a necklace of moonstones and garnets that took my breath away. Jon motioned to the salesperson and he brought it over from the display where I was pointing.

“It’s an exquisite piece, isn’t it? It’s a Bride’s gift, actually” the man explained as Jon reached for it and hung it about my throat.

“We’ll take it” he said, as he held the mirror up for me to see.

“It’s so beautiful” I said, staring at my reflection in the mirror.

“You make it beautiful, baby, and it’s my gift to you as my bride” he breathed deliciously against my ear.

I shivered at the feel of his warm breath and felt my excitement beginning to build. I had been preoccupied all day with the tasks we needed to accomplish for the ceremony and now that this final step was done, I found myself suddenly flooded with nervous energy and anticipation. In less than six hours Jon and I would be joined forever as we enacted the Great Rite beneath the full moon. I looked into his eyes, sparkling now with the same excitement I was feeling and he drew me to him, kissing me fervently as our passion ignited.

The sales clerk cleared his throat politely and we were reminded where we were and I blushed deeply. Jon chuckled and turned to the man behind the counter apologetically.

“We’re being joined tonight at midnight as man and woman, husband and wife. Please forgive us” he explained in a voice thick with desire and my toes curled to hear him speak the words.

The clerk smiled now in understanding and bowed his head.

“Blessings of the Lord and Lady to you both” he said knowingly.

We paid for our purchases, but I insisted on paying for Jon’s ring myself and he didn’t argue. The clerk added several sticks of incense and a vial of scented oil to a brown paper bag and handed it to me with a smile.

“My gift to both of you. May you have a long and loving life together” he said and we thanked him as we took our leave.

*********************************

Back home Richie and Elaine were getting to know one another as Richie played the melody Jon had written and Lainie worked on the garlands. Richie explained how he had come to be arrested and Elaine laughed and teased him about whether he was planning to attend tonight’s ceremony “sky clad” since nudity had started his legal adventure.

“Only if you’ll join me” he invited flirtatiously.

“I was planning to wear this” Elaine replied, casting her eyes downward and too nervous to look him in the face.

“But you’re so beautiful, babe. Why hide it? Besides, why should we let Jon and Trish have all the fun? What a great surprise it would be, don’t you think? And one good turn deserves another” he said mischievously.

Elaine considered that. She had had quite a few surprises thrown her way already and what did she have to lose? It might actually be fun she thought, smiling impishly. Richie knew all it would take was just a little more encouragement and he was ready to rise to the occasion. In fact, part of him was rising already.

“I will if you will” he pushed, feeling excitement at the thought.

Elaine looked up from the garland in her lap and met his eyes. Seeing the raw wanting in his expression was her undoing and she knew it. Before she could stop herself, she grinned back and shook her head up and down.

“Okay. But don’t say anything to Jon and I won’t tell Trish either, agreed?” she heard herself say.

“Atta girl, babe, that’s the spirit!” he said exuberantly.

Elaine noticed the swelling in his pants then and smiled secretly inside. This could prove to be quite an interesting night after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ritchie talked Elaine into going 'skyclad' for the ceremony. Atta boy!!!

Alina said...

Oh and I'm sure it will be an interesting night!