Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Sauna Part 123

Jon and I both slept in late the next morning and it would have suited me quite well to have stayed in bed all day. Unfortunately the cats had other ideas and were soon mewing for their breakfast and I woke up around ten as Eddie marched on top of my pillow.

“Okay, okay” I said, trying to placate him, but he continued to march until I showed real signs of movement.

Jon woke then too as I stood and tugged on my robe.

“Morning, wife” he greeted me with a lazy grin. “Is my coffee ready yet?” he teased.

I spun around and shot him a look that needed no words and he caught my drift and immediately begged my forgiveness. The bemused look on his face, however, showed no signs of contrition.

“I’m sorry, baby, I just couldn’t resist and your reaction was priceless. That was worth whatever punishment I’m going to get” he chuckled.

“We’ll see about that” I said as I jumped back on the bed and began to tickle him for all he was worth until he couldn’t breathe anymore.

“Okay, I give! I’ll never say that again-I promise” he pleaded and I relented.

The cats were excited now and unsure what to make of all the commotion. I hadn’t fed them yet and decided I had better do so before a revolt started. And now I was ready for coffee myself.

“I think you owe me a pot of coffee, Mister Rock Star, just to make sure you remember who’s boss around here” I chided him.

“Yes, Mistress” he said laughing as he got out of bed and made an exaggerated bow.

I could get used to this I thought to myself, but we went to the kitchen together with the whole herd of cats trailing along behind us. I stopped and adjusted the thermostat, turning up the heat as I figured we’d be home at least for the morning and it was fairly chilly.

Jon, true to his word, made the coffee and I fed the hungry beasts who began devouring their breakfast before I’d even finished filling the bowls. Jon started a fire in the living room as we waited for the coffee to finish brewing. I poured a couple mugs and we sat down on the couch to discuss our plans now that I had nothing but the future to concentrate on.

“So, love, what have you got planned for us?” I asked, sipping my coffee.

“Well, nothing for this weekend except rest and relaxation, and perhaps a little pampering” he said, eyeing me and I liked the sound of that.

“And then?” I wondered, anxious to know what the schedule looked like.

“I thought we could fly out to California and spend some time with Richie and then fly into Florida for Thanksgiving. We can take the plane anytime, so we can leave whenever we want. And I talked to Cherie last night about watching the cats again while we’re gone-I thought it made more sense to leave them here while we’re away and bring them to Jersey when we’re ready to stay for a bit” he explained.

“That makes sense. Have you talked to Richie yet or your parents? When is the show in Florida scheduled?” I asked, still needing a few parameters to organize plans around as I wasn’t used to being a “free agent” just yet.

“Richie knows we’re coming and he said we are welcome anytime as he doesn’t have any plans until the holiday itself. He’s got Ava for the holiday and Lainie will be flying in too. She can come with him to the show which is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It’s a small, intimate venue at The Hard Rock and I thought that would be a good opportunity for your parents and mine to meet and see a show rather than a large auditorium. I still need to call my mom and you can check with your folks” he suggested.

“I think we’d be better off staying with my sister in Florida, though. She’s there now for the winter and she has the room whereas my folks really don’t and I think she’d really like it if we stayed with her” I reminded him.

“That would work. I’ll arrange for suites for everyone at The Hard Rock for that Saturday night so no one has to worry about driving home” he offered.

“Don’t bother for my sister. They have the dog and they won’t leave her with anyone for that long, although her husband will likely stay home with the dog and she might come if my parents agree” I said hesitatingly.

This wasn’t quite as simple as it all sounded. My sister was really funny about leaving the dog and my dad was equally funny about any sort of travel, especially with my mother who was in the early stages of Alzheimer’s and became confused when her routine was disrupted. The only part I knew for certain would work was that we’d be welcome at my sister’s house. I really wasn’t at all sure how my dad was going to receive all this and I dreaded having to tell him I’d quit my job.

Jon looked at me questioningly then as he could see me running through the possible scenarios in my mind. My family was obviously a bit more complicated than his and I realized how much he really didn’t know about them. There were good reasons why I had put off planning this trip.

“What’s wrong, babe? You look distressed” he observed.

I tried to explain more then about my mother and my family in general, but I knew nothing I could say would truly capture the experience of being with them. Despite my explanation, Jon’s enthusiasm remained intact and I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing just yet. I only knew that it suggested to me that he really wasn’t prepared for the ordeal this was likely to be. Jon’s need to be in control paled in comparison to my father.

I decided now was as good a time as any to call my dad. The more advance notice he had the better to prepare himself, but I thought it might go better if I talked to my sister first and got her on board. Besides, it would ease me into the negotiation process before tackling the most difficult player.

“I’ll call my sister first” I announced as I rose to get the phone and refill my coffee. I would need it.

“I’ll call my mom and give her the head’s up too. I know she’ll be disappointed we won’t be staying with her, but she’ll understand” he said, thinking aloud.

I was glad his parents were flexible. Someone had to be and I knew it wasn’t going to be my side of the family. We both dialed our respective family members and the negotiations began.

“Linda? Hey, it’s me. What have you got planned for Thanksgiving?” I began.

“Mom? It’s Jon. I got a surprise for you. Trish and I are coming to Florida in about a week for a show and we’ll be there for Thanksgiving!” Jon began.

I smiled overhearing him as the difference in the way we approached the subject was very different. It was obvious that Jon didn’t expect any argument on his end and I wondered if his assessment of his parents’ reaction was accurate or wishful thinking, but it sounded like the conversation was going pretty smooth. Perhaps his folks were used to accommodating his plans.

Gradually I got around to proposing the idea we had to my sister. She was tickled to hear I would be there for the holiday and she was anxious to meet Jon. Of course we would stay with her. So far, so good.

“Jon has a show on Saturday after Thanksgiving at the Hard Rock and we would really like it if you and Pat and mother and dad would come. Jon’s folks will likely be there too” I ventured hesitatingly as I held my breath.

“Oh, I don’t know about that. That’s too far away and what would we do about the dog? And I don’t think daddy will want to travel with mother” she started and I bit my tongue as I waited for all the objections as she continued.

“We would really like it if you could leave the dog with Jim and Viv and both come to the show. I know you’d both enjoy it and Jon is getting us suites at the Hard Rock for that night so that you won’t have to drive there and back all in the same day” I said hopefully.

“Overnight? Oh, I don’t think so … daddy will never agree to that. What about mother? No, I think we’ll have to pass, but thank…” she went on and I cut her off before she could continue to set her mind against the idea.

“Linda, stop. Listen. This is important to me. I will work on daddy. It is only one night for God’s sake and it is a perfect opportunity, so please don’t say no” I said as I looked at Jon who had finished his call with his mom and dad already.

He looked at me with bewilderment as his parents had readily agreed and hadn’t given him any grief over the idea. I smiled weakly at him and continued to argue with my sister who was just a warm-up for my father. She had begun to give ground and was now suggesting that perhaps the dog could stay with mother and daddy and she and her husband, Pat, would come to the show. This is actually what I was anticipating, but I wasn’t giving up that easily just yet.

“That’s an idea, but let me talk to daddy and see if I can persuade him to come with mother. It’s only one night away and maybe Jon can pull some strings and see if the hotel will allow a dog for one night” I added, raising my eyebrows at Jon who nodded vehemently.

“Okay, go ahead and try. But don’t be surprised if daddy tells you forget it. You know how he is” she warned.

“Yes, unfortunately I do” I agreed and hung up.

I took a deep breath and looked at Jon who was waiting to hear the outcome of that battle. I was beginning to feel truly sorry for him as he really had no clue how difficult my family could be. If we managed to get through this trip, the rest of our life together would be a breeze.

“Okay. She’s willing to come if my parents watch the dog or if they can bring the dog with them. I really doubt my father will agree to come, but if I can manage it, will the hotel cut you some slack and allow the dog for one night?” I asked.

“No problem, babe. The amount of money I generate for them makes them very willing to accommodate nearly anything and that is by far a less outrageous request than many celebrities would make. But why can’t they just put the dog in the kennel for a night?” he asked innocently.

“Are you kidding? Would you put your kids in a kennel overnight?” I laughed, trying to make my point.

“Oh. So they are as bad as you about pets?” he grinned.

“Me? I’m a pushover. I’ll leave the cats with a sitter for a week or so, but not my sister. She’d only leave the dog with my parents. She won’t even let me baby-sit for more than a day” I laughed again.

“Don’t worry, I know it won’t be a problem if they bring the dog. Call your dad” he said encouragingly.

“I need more coffee first” I said, stalling, and thinking a shot of whiskey wouldn’t hurt either.

“I’ll get it, go ahead and call” he offered, taking my cup.

I dialed the number and took another deep breath.

“Hello?” I heard my mother’s voice.

“Hi, mom, it’s me. Is daddy there? I have a surprise for both of you” I said, hoping if I could enlist her support she’d nag daddy until she wore down his resistance. She was good at that.

“Hello?” I heard my father pick up the phone as Jon pushed my mug into my hand and rubbed my shoulder.

“Hi, father. It’s me. Hey, what are you guys doing for Thanksgiving?” I began again, knowing full well what the plan was-it was the same as every year.

I let them tell me how they were expecting to go to Linda’s with Jim and Viv when I interrupted.

“How would you like it if Jon and I came down for the week for a visit?” I said, buttering him up first.

“That would be great! Can you get the time off from work? We’d love it if you came down. Are you still involved with that rock star guy?” he asked.

“Yes, dad, of course. I told you this was serious! We were handfasted and we are committed to each other” I said, a little irritated that he really hadn’t taken to heart what I’d told him before.

“What’s this? You have a boyfriend?” my mother piped in.

Goddess, help me, I thought to myself as Jon looked at me sympathetically. Only now was he beginning to fully understand what this was going to entail. I took a deep breath again and patiently explained to my mother yet again. The dementia made her forget, but my father had no such excuse.

“So, he’ll be coming with you too, then?” my father said rather crisply.

“Yes, father. He’s my husband now for all intensive purposes” I repeated.

“When did you get married?” my mother asked, still confused.

“Shush, Joanne, I’ll explain it to you later” my father said in an irritated tone.

“We’ll be staying with Linda” I broke in, changing the subject.

“What? You don’t wanna stay here? We have room” my dad said indignantly.

“We could, but I think it’ll be less disruptive for mother if we stay with Linda” I replied, soothing his pride. That one was an easy battle.

“Yeah, I suppose that would be easier. Your mother goes to bed way before you two would, or even me” he laughed.

I was feeling a bit encouraged now as he was joking a little and figured it was now or never. I better get on with it before I chickened out. Even at my age, my dad still scared me.

“Dad, Jon has a show at the Hard Rock on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. His parents will be there and Linda and Pat are coming too” I lied.

“So that’s why you’re coming down here?” he said with an edge.

“No, not entirely. We wanted to come for the holidays and Jon arranged the show as a special event in a small place just to give you and mom and Linda a chance to come to one where it would be convenient” I said. I could play the guilt card too when it suited me.

Silence.

“He’s arranged suites for everyone at the venue for the night so it won’t be such a tiring day for mom and you’d have the chance to meet his parents too as they’ll be there” I continued.

More silence. Jon was looking at me expectantly now. I was holding my breath. I knew my dad was struggling with all the reasons not to go and with wanting to please me too and now feeling that a stranger had gone to a lot of trouble to make this convenient for him. If the Gods were with me, this just might work.

“Oh, Floyd, let’s go. I’d like to meet this boyfriend and his parents” my mom chimed in. Right on, mom. Go for it.

“What about the dog? Linda won’t leave Belle. We’ll just stay with her and the rest of you can go” my father announced.

“Already taken care of. Jon has some clout with the hotel management and they can bring the dog” I countered, proud of myself for having all the bases covered.

Jon was grinning like an idiot now and I was feeling rather confident. My father was beginning to realize he’d been set up and he was running out of arguments. The odds were in my favor.

“You’ve really thought of everything, haven’t you? But your mother, you know how she gets without a routine …” he argued still.

“What do you mean? I’m fine. There’s nothing wrong with me” she interrupted.

“I’ll think about it” my dad cut her off. “We’ll see” he added, not wanting to be trapped into a decision he’d regret later.

I knew it was time to back off. Pushing now would just piss him off and I needed to let it be his decision now or it would be my fault later if anything went wrong. I felt the conversation had gone better than I’d anticipated and I was satisfied for now.

“Okay. Think about it, but it would really mean a lot to me if you would come. I’d love for you to meet Jon’s parents and it would be so nice if we could all be together for the holidays” I added, using the one reason most likely to sway my father.

“Alright, let me sleep on it and I’ll let you know, but don’t be disappointed if we don’t come” he warned.

“Please try. I love you” I added before we said goodbye.

I hung up the phone and Jon gave me a hug. I felt relieved that this had gone so well and while I knew it was far from a done deal yet, it was promising. I’d call Linda later and get her to work on him too. If I could get this far, she could add her voice to mine and that might just swing him past the reluctance he had for disruption. He loved his daughters, but he worried about his wife.

“Wow, your family is a lot more difficult than mine” Jon observed.

“You have no idea. That went far better than I’d hoped. But it’s not over yet, trust me” I cautioned.

“It’ll all work out the way it is supposed to, baby” he smiled reassuringly and I was pleased that he had gleaned enough not to simply assume it would work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOHHH! Two chapters today! My feet hurt and I'm freaking hung over but I got my fix! Thanks, Opester, love the real issues Trish has to deal with. Can't wait to see Jon adjust...!!!

Anonymous said...

Boy, can I ever relate to this chapter. Sounds like my family. Hope the outcome is better than mine.

Alina said...

That's what I call a difficult family! Oh my, it must be hard for Trish that her family is like that...

Great chapter, loved the way you described all about it!

Anonymous said...

LOL, yes, this is a true family, that happens everywhere!