Monday, March 10, 2008

The Sauna Part 86

It had warmed up considerably and we arrived at Niagara Falls just before noon. It was fairly crowded, being a Saturday, and the first Rapids Ride trip was full, so we signed up for the second trip at three o’clock and walked around the falls while Lainie took pictures of us at all the favorite spots.

“Hey, let me get some of you and Richie” I suggested and we switched roles.

They made a cute couple together and seemed to get on rather well. Elaine seemed to have lost most of her shyness and flirted with abandon and Jon looked on and smiled. We were both glad to see them enjoying themselves and I wondered if the relationship might just end up lasting beyond the weekend.

We browsed through a couple of souvenir shops and Jon and Richie both bought stuff for the kids. I saw a stuffed seagull and immediately thought of Stephanie and wanted her to have it so I bought it and gave it to Jon to give to her for me. Richie bought a t-shirt for Ava and Jon picked out stuff for all the kids and soon we had too many packages to carry. Jon and Richie walked back to the car with the packages, while Lainie and I sat in the shade at a picnic table and waited.

“It looks like you and Richie are getting along pretty well” I observed, anxious to hear her thoughts about the relationship.

“He’s really very sweet. And really hot, too” she said with a grin.

“That he is” I agreed. “Do you think you two might, uhmm, stay in touch after this weekend?” I asked, not really sure how to bring it up.

“I don’t know, actually. I really hadn’t given it much thought. I guess we’ll just have to see where it goes” she replied and I could tell she didn’t really want to think about it.

Jon and Richie returned then and Jon suggested we get a snack and some coffee since we still had some time before the ride. Never being one to turn down coffee, we found a restaurant with tables outside and sat down. Lainie ordered a chocolate sundae and Jon did the same and we ended up sharing them as we sipped our coffee.

By quarter to three, we were in line with our tickets for the Rapids Ride and it looked like the boat would be full. They were handing out rain slickers as it got pretty wet and Lainie took more pictures of us all. Jon was in a goofy mood and pretended to flash at me after donning the raincoat and Elaine got a great picture of him looking at me rather lewdly.

She wasn’t the only one taking pictures though, we soon discovered, and Jon frowned when he saw a reporter walking towards us. “Shit” he muttered under his breath before flashing the guy a brilliant smile.

“Hey, aren’t you Jon Bon Jovi? And Richie Sambora?” the guy asked, snapping a few photos without waiting for an answer.

“Nope, I’m Jon and he’s Richie” Richie said, being silly.

“Are you guys here for a video shoot or just on holiday?” he persisted.

“We’re here as tourists to enjoy a little R & R” Jon explained pointedly.

He sounded pleasant enough but I could tell he was biting back his annoyance. The anonymity of Gowanda had been a welcome relief after a long touring cycle and he wasn’t anxious to see it end. Elaine looked unnerved and Richie slipped his arm around her waist to prevent her from disappearing into the background.

“Are you staying here in town for the weekend? Could I get an interview?” the reporter inquired, still snapping pictures.

“Yeah, we’re staying in the Falls for the weekend” Jon lied, ignoring the other question as the boat ride staff began to herd us into the boat.

“How about that interview?” the guy shouted insistently.

“Don’t think so” Jon called back as we boarded the boat. “Saved in the nick of time” he whispered to me, but now the other passengers were eyeing us, trying to figure out who we were.

The rain slickers had hoods and we were grateful as it offered some degree of disguise. Jon pulled the hood up and tightened the string and he immediately became unrecognizable, fading into the see of yellow raincoats as the boat left the dock. We all followed suit and soon the other passengers lost interest in watching us and we were able to enjoy ourselves in peace.

The ride was wild, and wet, and we would’ve been drenched if not for the slickers. Jon and Richie reminded me of two little boys and I made a mental note to be sure we went to an amusement park together some day. They hooted and hollered and had a ball. There was one moment in particular, where the boat pitched, and a little girl flew across from the other side, straight into Richie’s arms. It made me think of Ava, as he caught her neatly under her arms before she went down on the floor of the boat. She grinned and Richie smiled back, returning her to her Mom who thanked him.

The ride was over all too quick and soon the boat pulled up to the dock and we exited, laughing and excited. There was no sign of the reporter when we reached the dock and I guessed he figured it wasn’t worth sticking around if he wasn’t going to get an interview. We stripped off the rain gear and tried to decide what to do next. Richie wanted to go clubbing since we were in a real city, but none of us were dressed for it. I suggested we find a local bar and shoot some pool instead as clubbing really wasn’t my style and I figured it would appear pretty tame compared to the places they were used to in NYC.

Richie was content as long as he could get a drink and Lainie was content as long as we stopped for coffee. We headed for a dumpy little place I knew about twenty minutes away, but it was on the way towards home. I used to work there as a bartender, so they were eager to see my old stomping ground. I also figured everybody there would be too old to recognize us or to drunk to care.

We arrived at the Riverview around five and Richie headed for the bar, while Jon and Lainie ordered food at the clam bar on the deck out back. I made a beeline for the pool table, my main priority, and put our quarters up as there was a game already in progress. The two burly bikers who had the table leered at me and I began to wonder whether it had been a good idea to come here after all.

I joined Richie at the bar and we ordered drinks and Jon and Elaine joined us, carrying several orders of clams on the half shell. Everyone ate but me as I never quite understood the point of eating something you had to drown in hot sauce and throw down your throat. And I had a bad feeling about the guys at the pool table.

“Wanna play partners or guys versus girls?” Jon asked as he threw a raw clam down his throat.

“We’ve gotta win the table first, love, and these guys are pretty good. Maybe we should try somewhere else?” I suggested, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Richie and I aren’t bad players. We can take these guys” Jon replied, sounding pretty confident as he watched the game in progress wrapping up.

The dark haired guy with the broken nose nodded to me and the tall blond one came over and winked. I felt Jon stiffen next to me and knew this had been a mistake, but it was too late to back out. I went to the table to rack the balls and Jon picked up a stick and tested the weight. Richie ordered another drink and joined Jon and I stopped him as he prepared to break.

“Jon, winner breaks here” I whispered and he raised his cue and sat back down on the bar stool to wait.

“Hey, wait a minute. You put up the quarters, red, so you’re playing me first” the blond giant leered.

Jon began to really bristle visibly and I started to feel like I was at a cock fight. He stood up protectively, but I edged myself between him and the opponent, rubbing against him in an attempt to distract him. Lainie was sipping a pop, her eyes wide and watchful.

“Then break” I sneered at Blondie, getting annoyed myself.

I knew how this worked. I hadn’t worked for years at a biker bar without learning a few things and there was no way I was gonna let this jerk intimidate me. More than that, I wasn’t taking any chances on Jon getting into a fight. So I stared right back at him and he moved to the front of the table and broke. It was a good break and he had his choice. As he went to make his next shot, which was a bank shot, I challenged him again, leaning back between Jon’s thighs and keeping him seated.

“Call it” I said sarcastically.

The biker raised his eyebrows and gave me a crooked smile and smacked his stick over the side pocket with a loud crack. He was cocky and it made him careless. He took his shot and missed and I smirked. This was my chance. Jon started to stand up, but I whispered in his ear and took the stick from him.

“Let me” I said softly, begging him with my eyes to let me handle this and he sat back down.

I chalked my stick and walked around the table, eyeing my shots. It was still choice. I considered, chose my shot and sank it in the pocket, leaving myself set up for the next one. Without hesitating, I sank two more right in a row. I went for the fourth shot and called my pocket and caught Jon grinning at me out of the corner of my eye and I winked at him.

Thunk! The ball fell in the pocket and I set up the next one. Thunk again. But I messed up and didn’t leave myself a great shot. I aimed and came close, but I missed. It was Blondie’s turn. I returned to the bar and leaned against Jon’s thigh. He pulled my hair away from my neck and kissed it, not saying a word, as his hands slid around my waist.

Blondie sank the next four balls in a row, but he missed the fifth and I moved forward to seize my opportunity. All I had left was one ball and the eight ball, since several had gone in at the break. I aimed, planning my shot, so I’d have a clear shot at the eight. It worked and I sank my ball and ended up perfectly set up for the final shot.

“Bank the eight” Blondie called out, glowering at me.

“Not a problem” I replied, smacking the cue stick over my chosen pocket as a cloud of blue chalk dust hovered in the air.

Please let me get this, Goddess, I prayed silently as bank shots had never been my best and I had a tendency to scratch on these kind of shots. I badly wanted to beat Blondie now as the next three quarters were mine and we could play in peace. I didn’t dare look at Jon, but I could see Richie smiling and Elaine was holding her breath.

Thunk! The cue stopped just short of the pocket, but it didn’t roll in. Yes! Thank you Goddess! Blondie actually came over and shook my hand and smiled. He grabbed his jacket and headed for the door, but not before he stopped in front of Jon.

“Helluva woman you got there, man” he said as he stuck out his huge paw to Jon.

“Tell me something I don’t know” Jon grinned and shook his hand and he left with his companion as I breathed a sigh of relief.

Richie stood up and shook my hand before going to rack up the balls for the next game. Elaine shook her head at me and bought me a drink. Jon was sitting on his stool beaming and he crooked his finger, motioning me to come to him. I walked over and leaned against his crotch as he put his hands on my ass and pulled me close against him.

“So babe, what other surprises have you got in store for me?” he asked, raising his eyebrows.

“You’ll have to wait until we get home for the rest” I teased, slipping my tongue between his lips.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the pool scene. Trish can hold her own. What a woman!

Anonymous said...

Love it when guys get their asses kicked by a woman in pool. They think that just because they have a "stick" in their hands, they're gonna rule. Go Trish!

Opester said...

I just had to respond here-I loved Sunstreak's comment about a "stick" in their hand-ain't it the truth? I had a similar experience happen once when I used to tend bar and I still remember the feeling of satisfaction to be able to kick the butt of a good 'ole boy! I thanked the Gods for that one!