Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Sauna Part 90

“Hey! We wondered if you were ever coming back! Did you get lost?” Richie called when he saw us.

We dropped heavily to the ground and I was glad to sit down as my legs were still weak and a little shaky. Jon reached for the wine bottle and took a long swig, handing it to me and I swallowed, grateful for something to ease my nerves. Both Richie and Lainie looked at us searchingly and the teasing smile died on Richie’s face as he watched us both drain the remaining wine between us.

“You’re not gonna believe this” Jon began as he recounted the story without excessive detail.

“Shit” Richie commented, shaking his head in disbelief as Lainie reached over and pulled a stray leaf from my hair and sighed.

“I’m really glad you made it back okay” she said with unaccustomed emotion.

The tension began to ease then as we relaxed, feeling safer among friends. But it was getting late and we decided to head back so Lainie could pack. We walked back along the trail to where we’d parked and Elaine turned and took one last look at Zoar before we climbed in and drove back to the house.

The packing went rather quickly and we decided to leave early for the airport and stop for dinner on the way. Elaine had never had Buffalo chicken wings and she was anxious to try them, so we stopped at a pizza parlor and ordered wings and pizza. There weren’t a lot of things that Buffalo was known for, besides snow anyway, but “wings” originated here and Jon never said no to pizza.

We arrived at the airport in plenty of time and checked Elaine’s bags and sat down for a last coffee before she headed towards the security checkpoint. Richie excused himself for a few minutes, but when he returned he was carrying a big stuffed buffalo and grinning. He handed it to Elaine with a big smile.

“I wanted you to have something that would remind you of ‘us‘. At least until I see you again” he announced as he bent down to kiss her.

“I’m not likely to forget you, Richie” she replied, her eyes moistening with tears.

Jon and I said goodbye and I hugged Lainie before I left. I would miss her, but I knew we would see each other again, even if not real soon. Richie walked Lainie to the security checkpoint and waited with her in the short line until he had no choice but to say farewell. She hugged him then, tears streaming down her face as he lifted her chin to meet his eyes.

“Don’t cry, doll. This isn’t the end, you know. I’ll call you and maybe I can come to Scotland next month for a visit?” he said tenderly.

But Elaine cried harder, apologizing through her tears. She clung to Richie and he held her, kissing her hair and patting her back, the way one would comfort a small child. Finally her sobs subsided and she stepped back.

“Richie, I’m sorry. I’m not usually like this. I just hate to leave” she said sniffling.

“I know, babe. I’m really glad you’re gonna miss me, though” he said grinning, as he brushed the tears from her eyes. “I’m so glad we met.”

“I don’t want to leave, but I can’t miss this flight” she said, checking her watch.

“Call me when you get home safely, okay?” Richie asked.

“I’ll call you tomorrow. It’ll be the middle of the night here when I get home” she promised.

“Call me anyway, baby. I’m not gonna sleep good without you” he chided.

She nodded and they had one last kiss that promised them both that this was not the end. Elaine walked through the security scanners and turned, holding the stuffed buffalo and waived goodbye one last time. Richie stood and watched her until she disappeared out of sight around the corner.

He joined us outside where we waited for him, and I gave him a hug. His eyes were moist too. We walked silently to the car and Jon drove, beginning to know his way around better than me and remembering the wrong turn we’d taken when we first drove home from the airport. That seemed so long ago now, so much had happened. I tried to remember a time before Jon and it seemed like another lifetime now.

Jon turned on the radio and we all laughed at the irony as “Who Says You Can’t Go Home” came over the speakers. But for the most part, we drove in silence, except for the radio, each of us lost in our own thoughts. We reached Gowanda around nine o’clock, just the time when Elaine’s flight would be leaving the runway. Richie’s phone signaled there was a text message and he read it aloud.

“Plane leaving shortly. Thank you all for a great weekend, especially Richie. Miss you” he read as he smiled.

“So, bro, what’s the plan? Are you gonna go and see her?” Jon asked bluntly.

“Yeah, man, of course. I thought about getting a ticket tonight and going back with her, but I need to get home and spend some time with Ava. It wasn’t just a fling if that’s what you’re asking” he said sharply.

“I didn’t mean that, Richie” Jon said, sounding a little wounded.

“Sorry, man. Guess I’m just a little raw, and I would have deserved it if you were thinking that” Richie offered.

“I’m happy for you bro. Elaine’s a great gal, even if she is too good for the likes of you” Jon said, his humor returning.

Richie smiled then and Jon grabbed a bottle of wine from the frig. He held it up in question, but Richie shook his head.

“No thanks, man. I think I’ll just go to bed. Hey, buddy, do you wanna keep me company?” he said looking at Zeke who was rubbing his leg.

We all laughed at that. Zeke was obviously happy to have Richie to himself again and he seemed to have nearly forgotten all about me, although he was less skittish around Jon now. We said goodnight to Richie and he headed off to his room, Zeke scampering along behind him.

“So, wife, it looks like we have the evening to ourselves. Any ideas?” Jon said as he slipped an arm about my waist.

“I’m sure we’ll think of something” I grinned wickedly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Richie's openness with his feelings. It's so great that he doesn't want just a fling, but has the start of real feelings. With what has happened to him in real life, ya just want the big sweetie to be happy. Great chapter, Opester!