Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Sauna Part 71

We arrived at the station in minutes and walked in to find a gaggle of adults, kids, and Richie amid a number of Gowanda’s finest. The town’s whole police force must’ve been there, not that there were a lot of them to begin with, alongside the Sheriff and a number of state police. There was a barracks just up the road thanks to the need for back-up because of both the constant trouble on the Reservation and the fact that we were a stone’s throw from a correctional facility. Richie was sitting on a long bench, looking pretty dejected.

“Man, I’m so sorry” Richie began as he saw us and stood up.

“Never mind that now. Who’s in charge here?” Jon demanded, focusing on the task at hand.

Richie pointed toward the desk, and I recognized the Sheriff from his picture in the paper. Jon made a beeline for him and I stayed with Richie, feeling like a fish out of water in the situation. I gave Richie a hug and he looked at me apologetically.

“Trish, I’m so sorry. This thing with Denise really fucked with my head. Jesus … Jon’s gonna be furious if this gets out” he said, hanging his head.

“It’ll be okay, Richie. You weren’t responsible for the booze, right? We’ll get it straightened out” I said, trying to comfort him, but wondering what really happened.

I glanced around and saw Jon in conversation with the Sheriff. I noticed the other people there, some kids and some adults, and some who obviously stood out as angry parents. There was a bit of commotion and we all turned to see what happened. One of the kids, who was so intoxicated he could barely stand, threw up next to the water cooler.

“Fuck” Richie said, observing the circus.

Jon returned just after that and told us what the deal was. He’d arranged for Richie’s bail and we could go home after he was processed. He’d explained to the Sheriff who Richie was and that there was no way he could have bought the liquor as Jon vouched for having left him there in the company of the girls who were all, thankfully, over twenty-one. He explained Richie had just met them and didn’t know the situation and was sort of stranded and tried to call us, but we’d been out to dinner. He embellished the truth a bit, making it appear as though Richie was a bit more innocent than was likely true, but he had succeeded in getting the delinquency charges dropped and hoped they’d dismiss the Disorderly Conduct as he’d found out that Richie hadn’t really caused any trouble himself. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The desk sergeant called Richie’s name and they processed him first. I marveled at how Jon managed to manipulate the situation and get us out of there in a hurry. He explained that the police were as eager as he was to avoid having a scandal in their town and were happy to get Richie the hell out of there before anyone else figured out the potential for making the news.

We drove home in relative silence, afraid to say much for fear of provoking Jon’s wrath. Richie and I exchanged wordless looks as Jon drove with a scowl on his face. I pondered who he was more upset with, Richie or himself. I’m not sure Jon even knew at that point.

We entered the house and I hesitated about what to do next. It was nearly midnight by the time we’d gotten home and I offered to make coffee so we could talk this out and figure out the next steps. Jon shook his head.

“No, babe, it’s late and you’ve got to get up for work tomorrow. Go to bed. Richie and I will talk about this” he said, giving me a kiss goodnight as well as dismissing me.

I hesitated again, uncertain whether to do what I was told or whether to butt in. I felt guilty leaving Richie alone with Jon, in the mood he was in, and a little annoyed that I was just being dismissed from the conversation as though it didn’t affect me. At the same time I was relieved to have an escape, but a little ashamed at myself for being such a wimp.

“Jon, it’s okay, really, I …” I began, but he cut me off.

“Baby, go to bed. This is between me and Richie right now” he said firmly, but not angrily.

I nodded then, realizing he wasn’t dismissing me or my thoughts about the situation, but rather needed to say whatever he was feeling right now to Richie in private. This was between brothers and I could understand that. I nodded then, and kissed Jon goodnight, whispering in his ear.

“Come to bed soon, love” I said gently and he squeezed my hand as he whispered back.

“Thanks, darlin’, I won’t be that long” he promised.

Jon turned his attention to Richie and he drew a deep breath. Richie braced himself for what he knew was coming. He’d seen the storm clouds gather on Jon’s face before and he knew that in the silence on the way home that Jon was holding back until they were alone, his fury gathering force with each passing moment. He waited for the torrent of invective to start, knowing that the sooner it began, the sooner it would end.

Jon observed Richie as he considered his words. “We can’t all be as mature as you” rang in his ears and for once he wanted to be mature and not give vent to the emotions that generally ruled his behavior. Richie knew he made a mistake and he didn’t need to have the point driven home. He wasn’t perfect and neither am I, Jon thought to himself. Richie was his best friend and he was hurting. He came here for comfort and support, not for a lecture on the need to grow up. Been there, done that. So many times before, that Richie would probably just tune him out anyway. And I could have prevented this, he thought. I could have protected him from himself and I didn’t. What sort of friend am I?

Richie shifted uncomfortably as the silence between them lengthened. Just get it over with, Jon, for Christ’s sake he thought. Tell me I’m an idiot for the hundredth time and how sick and tired you are of having to bail me out of my own stupidity. Or better yet, hit me! Gimme me your best shot and get it out of your system! But Jon’s face was a mask Richie couldn’t read. C’mon, you arrogant bastard, say something, he thought to himself.

“Richie” he began softly, the anger dissolving as he said his name. He knew what it was he really wanted to say and what he wanted Richie to hear.

“I love you, man. You’re my brother. It tears me up inside when I see you do this stuff. You deserve so much better than a roll in the hay with some bimbo. You’ve got so much to give someone; you’re all heart and soul, man. I just don’t wanna see you throw it all away. Don’t you know how much I want you to find someone who really deserves all you have to give?” he said finally.

“Shit, Jon. It would have been easier if you just punched me!” he laughed, surprised at Jon’s softness.

“It was my first impulse” Jon smirked.

“I feel like an ass. I want that too. I see you and Trish and I know how it should be. I know how it was with me and Heather once. I just don’t want to be hurt like that again” Richie said seriously.

“I know, buddy, I know. But you don’t want some meaningless affair either, right? Don’t settle, man. Don’t waste your time with kids who haven’t yet lived. Find a woman who has something to offer you. At our age, it’s gotta be more than tits and ass!” he said, jabbing Richie to make a point.

“When did you become so philosophical?” Richie chuckled.

“When I found something I didn’t even know I needed. I found my soul mate, man. That’s what I was trying to tell you this afternoon.”

“Well, Hell. You’re one lucky bastard, then. Especially since your soul mate came with a mighty fine set of tits and a pretty remarkable ass!” he said, punching Jon in the arm.

“Yeah, I know. I got lucky” he conceded, grinning.

“And you better not keep her waiting all night. Let’s go to sleep. I’m shot” Richie suggested.

“’Right, bro. Get some sleep” Jon said as he headed off to our bed.

I was still awake when Jon crawled into bed beside me. I was too wound up and tense to fall asleep and I wanted to know what happened. I slipped my arms around him, drawing him close, as he cuddled up next to me.

“You’re still awake?” he asked, surprised.

“Of course I’m awake. Are you okay?” I asked anxiously.

“Yeah, babe, I’m good” he said as he kissed me.

“And is Richie okay?” I asked, still worried.

“Yep, me and Richie are fine too. Okay? Now go to sleep” he chuckled and I snuggled against his warmth, satisfied, and we slept.

1 comment:

Alina said...

I expected Jon would yell at him, or even punch him, but I didn't expect him to be that appreciative.

Oh, and my browser made it to open the side for posting comments =)