Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Sauna Part 111

It was just after three o’clock and we had some time left before we needed to get ready for the party. We were both feeling rather lazy now and the garage hardly seemed like the priority it had been. I nestled in against Jon, laying my head on his chest and toying with the fur underneath his sweatshirt.

“Nap, babe?” he asked indulgently and I nodded.

Saturday afternoons always seemed made for napping and today was no exception. I sat up and pulled my sweater over my head, shaking the tangle of hair loose as he watched me. I pushed his shirt up and he leaned forward and raised his arms, allowing me to strip it off him. We climbed under the covers and settled in, snuggly fitting together like a hand in a glove, and soon we were joined by several furry critters that had been waiting patiently for the commotion to die down.

Jon chuckled as the cats began arranging themselves about the bed, taking their cue from us. Zeke climbed onto Jon’s chest, purring loudly in my face as he stared at Jon, confirming it was definitely time for a nap. I petted Zeke’s silky fur and he stretched out his legs, his huge paws on either side of Jon’s throat as he closed his eyes contentedly.

“I’m guessing that psycho cat approves of me finally?” Jon grinned.

“It would appear that way! I’m glad he finally approves because I know I certainly do” I agreed as I tucked my head into the curve of his shoulder and sighed.

“He knows you make his Mom very happy” I said drowsily.

Jon lifted his head slightly and kissed me and we closed our eyes, enjoying the peace and comfort of a lazy afternoon. I fell asleep almost instantly, but Jon lay awake smiling for a bit as he reflected on how satisfying it was to feel like part of a family again.

It was early evening when I woke to the sound of Jon’s stomach growling. The sun had started to recede and the bedroom was bathed in an orange glow, shadows just barely forming in the corners where the walls met. Zeke was no longer perched atop Jon, who’d turned on his side to face me, still asleep. I studied his face, noting the tiny lines by his eyes and the full, sensuous curve of his lips, formed into a half-smile.

He was truly the most handsome man I had ever seen. At times like this I found myself wondering what I had done to deserve such favor from the Goddess. I had never been happier; in fact I had never even dreamed that I could feel as contented as I did now. Silently I thanked the Gods and prayed that nothing would ever come between us, now that I had found my heart’s desire.

I stroked Jon’s cheek and he purred softly, his eyes opening slightly as he smiled at me. I kissed those luscious lips and he purred louder, mimicking the sound of a satisfied cat.

“What time is it, babe? Should we get up and make some dinner?” he asked his voice still thick with sleep.

“I suppose so” I answered lazily, and his stomach growled again in agreement.

I stretched and yawned, forcing myself to sit up and shake off the languor that I often felt after deeply satisfying sex followed by a long nap. Jon sat up too and retrieved his sweatshirt and pants, tossing me my sweater and jeans. He got out of bed carefully, trying not to disturb the cat still sound asleep between us.

“What’s for dinner, doll? I’m in the mood for pizza” he observed.

“Is there ever a time when you’re not in the mood for pizza?” I laughed.

“Only when I’m in the mood for you” he winked.

“Go ahead and order it, love. There isn’t much to eat around here until we go grocery shopping” I conceded.

He grabbed the phone and dialed, having programmed the number into the phone and I laughed.

“You put Capozzi’s on speed dial?” I asked incredulously.

“Yeah” he grinned back as he proceeded to order pizza and an antipasto salad to be delivered, hesitating when they asked the address and I supplied it.

“About forty-five minutes. Just time enough to take a shower” he said, hanging the phone up.

We hurried into the shower, the warm water reviving us as we washed up and rinsed off. Getting ready was less of a chore for Jon, who simply toweled his hair and threw on a robe while he shaved away the five o’clock shadow. I dried my hair, deciding to do my make-up later, after we’d eaten. I wasn’t really hungry, but when the food arrived I found I actually had an appetite suddenly.

Jon scarfed down the bulk of a small pizza on his own, while the antipasto hit the spot for me. He crumbled the box and tossed it outside in the recycling bin and I put away the remainder of the salad as several sleepy cats wandered into the kitchen and meowed for their supper.

“I’ll feed them, darlin’. Go ahead and get ready” Jon offered.

By eight-thirty I was finally ready, having fussed and fretted over the details of my costume, trying to add just the right touches of jewelry and make-up in order to complete the look. Jon looked so perfect in his gangster suit that I wanted to be sure I had everything just right myself.

“You look fabulous, baby. Stop fussing and c’mere” he beamed, stretching out his arms as he puckered his lips.

Finally satisfied, I succumbed to his embrace after warning him not to mess up my lipstick before we even left the house. He made a face, but kissed me tenderly on my forehead before whispering in my ear.

“I hope you don’t expect me to keep my hands off you all night” he warned, pinching my ass.

“Hell, no!” I replied emphatically and he laughed as he held my cloak for me.

We grabbed a bottle of good wine and locked up the house, and climbed into the Chevelle. The motor turned over and roared and I was tickled he’d brought the car down from Jersey as it was a lot more fun than my sedan and it was getting too cold now to take the bike out much longer.

“You like the car?” he asked, looking pleased.

“Oh yeah. It’s great. I wish I knew how to drive a standard” I said wistfully.

“I can teach you” Jon offered.

“Good luck, baby. No one has ever been able to teach me. I seem to be handicapped in that department” I said seriously.

“Maybe you just haven’t had the right teacher. But don’t worry, you have other talents I appreciate” he chuckled lasciviously as he tore out of the driveway.

We arrived at Cherie’s just after nine and I could see there were a ton of cars parked already. She’d arranged for a canopy outside to extend the garage area and Dave, her husband, had the chimenea burning for extra warmth. There were a few smokers outside under the canopy and a huge tub filled with ice and beer was nearby. I peeked inside to see if I recognized anyone and I was surprised to see Paul there, chatting with a group of guests while he smoked.

“Paul!” I called and he excused himself and made his way over and gave me a hug.

“Hi, hon, I didn’t know you’d be here!” he said excitedly and I heard Jon clear his throat to make his presence known.

“Hey man, good to see you too. How’s it going?” Paul greeted Jon and they shook hands.

“Good, once I convinced Trish to stop fussing over her costume. I didn’t expect to see you here” Jon replied, his voice sounding just a bit tight.

“Well, I’m catering tonight, that’s why I’m here” Paul said, nodding toward the trays of food spread around on the tables.

“Oh, I see. Got any more of that crème brulee? That was really good” Jon asked, relaxing now and trying to be more pleasant.

“So Cherie called you for the catering? I’m so glad! She never told me what she decided” I interjected.

“Yeah, we set it up about a month ago, but I didn’t realize it was you who’d referred me. Thanks honey, it’s a good gig and you look amazing” he said, gazing at me appreciatively.

“You think the costume works? We’re Bonnie and Clyde” I said, thinking it could prove to be a long night if Paul kept testing Jon.

“Oh it’s working alright” he replied with a broad smile.

I felt Jon’s arms slip around my waist from behind me just then and I realized that I had unconsciously managed to wedge myself between the two of them, hoping to minimize any posturing between them. Paul had a gleam in his eye, but Jon was being pretty good and just making sure he was marking his territory.

“We’ve got to get inside and say hello to Cherie and Dave, but make sure you save me some goodies, ’k?” I hinted.

“You bet” Paul grinned and I took Jon’s hand and led him inside the house.

“I was trying to be polite” Jon whispered in my ear.

“I know you were. Paul’s incorrigible at times” I whispered back.

“You must like it that way” he breathed against my neck and I shot him a look.

“You called me that once too, remember?” he reminded me and I did recall it then and realized he wasn’t angry, but just teasing.

“I remember now. And you certainly were” I teased back.

“Trisha! You’re here!” I heard Cherie’s voice.

“Hey, we made it! It’s my fault we were late” I said, giving her a big hug.

“Cherie, I’d like you to meet Jon. Or rather Clyde, at least for tonight. And I’m Bonnie. Jon, this is Cherie, or should I say the wicked witch?” I laughed as I introduced them.

“I’ve been so anxious to meet you! I’ve heard so much about you” Cherie beamed with her own one hundred watt smile.

“My pleasure” Jon said, shaking her hand. “So you’re the one I need to thank for babysitting the monsters while Trish stayed over in New Jersey?”

“That would be me, yes” Cherie replied. “We cat sit for each other. Can I get you both a drink? There’s beer outside and I’ve got wine in the fridge” she added.

“Wine would be great. That’s a cute costume. It reminds me of the Wizard of Oz” Jon commented.

“Yep, it is. It’s from a play I was in a few years back” Cherie grinned and I was delighted. I knew Jon had just won her over completely since no one ever appreciated her costume and she had to explain it every year to newcomers.

She and Jon chatted as she poured us each a glass of wine and I slowly began to sense that someone was staring at me. I could feel the gaze boring a hole in my back and I shifted and looked around uncomfortably. And then I saw him, across the room, staring at me with a mischievous look. But in place of the initial discomfort I felt, I suddenly burst into a fit of laughter. Both Cherie and Jon stopped talking and followed my gaze.

“That’s her old boyfriend. His name is Jim” Cherie whispered to Jon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOH Goody! A New chapter, an old boyfriend, and a jealous Jon! What a way to start my day!

Anonymous said...

Yay!
The halloween party has started and I've been waiting to read this.

Sheena

Alina said...

Oh, another ex-boyfriend. That could be very interesting...