Monday, March 3, 2008

The Sauna Part 63

When we arrived home, the answering machine was blinking and Jon’s cell phone had a message. I hit the button to listen as I began to fold the laundry from the dryer and we heard Richie’s voice on the tape.

“Hey, guys, hope you made it to Buffalo in one piece. Give me a call.” Jon listened to his message on the cell and it was also from Richie.

“I wonder what’s up. He must really want to talk. I’d better call him back” he said as he dialed Richie.

“Hey, man. Yeah, we’re home. What’s up? Is everything okay?” he said into the phone.

“Glad you called. Shit. It’s over, man, me and Denise. We’re done. Really done this time” he slurred back.

“What happened? Geez, Richie, you sound hammered, man. What’d she do this time?” he said, rolling his eyes at me.

“She fucked some other guy. Bitch! I came over to the house to surprise her and there she was with some young stud in her bed. That’s it, man, I’m telling’ ya. I’m done, I’ve had it” he told Jon.

“Shit, Richie. Fucking bitch! You know I’m not sorry to see you dump her, but damn, bro. I’m so sorry. Are you gonna be okay?” Jon’s tone sounded disgusted and worried.

“Tell him to come on out here. He can stay with us for a bit. He shouldn’t be alone now” I whispered in his ear.

“Richie, listen up. C’mon out here. Come and stay with us for a while” he offered, but Richie hesitated.

“Awww, man. I can’t do that to you. You and Trish, you need some time alone. It’s alright, I’ll be okay” Richie protested and I saw the exasperated look on Jon’s face and grabbed the cell phone from him.

“Richie? Look, don’t argue. You get your ass on the next plane and get out here. I’ve got a big house and there’s plenty of room. Jon needs the company and I’ll be working all week. Okay? Are you listening to me?” I demanded into the phone and Jon grinned at me.

“Okay, okay. I can argue with Jon, but not with you. Are you sure?” he faltered.

“Absolutely. Here’s Jon” I handed the phone back to Jon.

“You heard the lady, right? Now quit drinkin’ and sober up. Call me back as soon as you make the arrangements, alright?” he said adamantly, leaving Richie no other options than to agree.

“Okay, man, okay. I’ll call you as soon as I can get a flight. Thanks buddy. I owe ya” he slurred back and Jon clicked off the phone.

“What happened? What did Denise do this time?” I asked, echoing Jon’s earlier question to Richie.

“He caught her screwing around with somebody else, the fucking whore that she is. Poor Richie, he doesn’t deserve this” Jon lamented, sitting down heavily on the bed.

“No, he sure doesn’t! Shit, I don’t think anyone deserves that nasty little …well you can fill in the blank!” I added, feeling bad for Richie too.

Jon got the irony without my having to say it and chuckled. I finished putting the clothes away while we waited for Richie to call back and Jon sprawled out on the bed and stretched. I was just about to ask if he wanted me to fix a snack when I realized he was sound asleep and snoring softly. He really was tired. And so was I.

Quietly I walked out to the kitchen and began my bedtime ritual. I fed the cats, again, as the food bowl was always empty with five of them, and got fresh water. Opie rubbed against me, thanking me for his bedtime snack. I turned out the lights and headed to the bathroom to wash up. Zeke was following me now as he knew what lights out meant. I washed my face and brushed my teeth and headed back for the bedroom and Zeke jumped up alongside me and froze, seeing Jon and then looking at me in dismay.

I spoke gently to Zeke and he walked around on the bed, following me as I went to the other side, closer to Jon. I coaxed him to come a little closer and Zeke sniffed at his face while he slept. His whiskers tickled and Jon made a face, but didn’t wake. I had to stifle a giggle as I watched Zeke checking him out and wrinkling his nose before going back for another sniff. Suddenly I wondered if he actually smelled Jon or if he was smelling me on Jon.

The phone rang and Jon woke with a start just as Zeke galloped away across his legs. I searched for the phone, and realized it was still in Jon’s hand. He shook his head at me as Zeke disappeared through the doorway and flipped open the phone.

“Richie? Yeah. When’s the flight? Tuesday morning? Yeah, I’ll have a limo meet you there. You couldn’t get anything tomorrow? Oh, okay, yeah. Alright. Give Ava a kiss and a hug. Call me tomorrow, you hear. Get some sleep, man. ’Night, buddy” he clicked off the phone.

“Does Richie like cats?” I wondered aloud, thinking that Zeke will never be the same after this week with so many strangers.

“I guess we’ll find out, huh?” he yawned. “Come to bed, baby. You’ve gotta work tomorrow” he chided, standing up to take off his clothes.

“I know, I was on my way when Zeke decided to inspect you. He was sniffing your face until the phone rang” I responded.

“So, did I pass muster?” Jon teased as he slipped in between the sheets.

“I don’t know what Zeke decided, but you definitely pass with flying colors in my book!” I beamed as I pulled my dress over my head and climbed into bed.

“So you’ll keep me around even if the cat hates me?” he asked, reaching to pull me closer.

“I think you’ll grow on him” I smirked as I turned out the light.

5 comments:

Queenie said...

Yay, Richie dumped the beyotch! I never did like her! Glad he's coming to Buffalo to keep Jon company.

Anonymous said...

I'm in agreement with stephanie...yay for Ritchie dumping Denise!

Opester said...

I wonder if anyone who loves our boys truly liked Denise? I'm so glad I could write this and have it come true- sort of- he deserves so much more!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that they didn't want Richie to be alone. That's a sign of a good friend.

I don't really know Denise but I think she likes herself a bit too much. That being said, I can see why in real life Richie & Denise would be drawn to each other. They were both going through divorces and both had parents dying of cancer at the time. I never suspected that it would last a significant amount of time. I just saw that relationship as more of a support for each other because they could relate to similar situations in their lives. I hope that makes some sense. Anna

Opester said...

You do have a point there-I'm sure they probably were drawn to each other because of the similar losses both were experiencing and possibly turned to each other for comfort and one thing led to another...still, I am glad Richie found other friends to comfort him and was able to move on and past Denise.