Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Sauna Part 85

He was back with two mugs of coffee within moments and I stared at him with wide eyes. Had I fallen asleep that fast? It took longer than that to even set up the coffee pot, let alone wait for it to brew.

“You won’t believe this, but Lainie and Richie are already up and the coffee was made. Apparently we woke them up” he explained, grinning proudly.

“Oh no, was I that loud? I thought I was being rather quiet!” I said sheepishly as Jon handed me the mug.

“Not you, babe, it’s this bed. This thing would wake the dead” he said, sitting down alongside me rather heavily to emphasize the squeaking noise.

“I really never noticed, but you’re right, that is bad” I said, noting the noise for the first time.

“Yeah, but it’s great for my reputation” Jon winked.

I rolled my eyes at him and laughed, pulling him back into bed with me. I was a little chilled in the morning air and I shivered slightly. It was that time of year when the days were nice, but the mornings and evenings could be warm or cold, depending. Jon propped himself on the pillows, but pulled me against him, rubbing my arms.

“Cold, babe? Should I make a fire?” he offered.

“No, just hold me a bit. I’m just not ready to get up” I said, burying my nose against his armpit.

“You are cold. How about a bath?” he suggested, trying gently to suggest that I really needed to get up soon.

“That sounds wonderful, but not yet, please?” I asked, pleading for a little more snuggle time while I recovered from the morning’s gymnastics.

Jon chuckled a little and relented, and set his coffee mug aside. He scrunched down under the covers and wrapped his arms around me and I nestled in against his warmth. He smoothed my hair and rubbed my back and I easily could have fallen asleep again, but I could smell food cooking and I heard Jon’s stomach growl in response.

“Is Richie making breakfast? I smell food” I asked sleepily.

“Actually I think it’s Lainie. She said something about making breakfast for us if we were getting up soon” he answered, his stomach growling again.

“Sounds like you’re hungry, no wonder you want me out of bed! I guess I’m as ready as I’m going to be to get up” I laughed, rubbing his belly.

“Well, I did work up an appetite, but if you keep rubbing me there, it won’t be food that I’ll be hungry for!”

I sat up then and Jon got out of bed. He tossed me my robe and I slid my legs over the edge of the bed, wondering if my legs would be steady enough to walk. He bent down and tenderly slid my feet into my slippers and I tousled his hair affectionately. He stood and held my robe for me and I slipped it on as he wrapped it around me and tied the belt. We grabbed our mugs and joined Lainie and Richie in the kitchen.

“So, what’s on the menu?” I asked, sitting down across from Richie at the table while Jon refilled our coffee.

“I found a mix for biscuits and they’re in the oven. I was thinking omelettes?” Lainie answered.

“Sounds good to me but I wish we had some sausage, though. Sausage gravy and biscuits would be so good” I said wistfully.

“I could run up to the store and get some” Jon offered, but I shook my head.

“Maybe tomorrow, love, if there’s biscuits left over. What would you guys like to do today?” I asked, thinking we had no plans now that the ceremony was over and we had the whole day free.

“What about Niagara Falls? I’ve always wanted to see it and isn’t it supposed to be a honeymoon spot or something?” Elaine suggested.

“Yeah, it is, actually, and it is beautiful. We filmed the video for “Always” there. Remember, Richie?” Jon said.

“Yep, I remember. Hey, remember how we wanted to check out that rapids ride thing? We never had time then, maybe we could do that today” Richie replied, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

“You know, I’ve never done that even though I’ve lived here my whole life. That would be great!” I said enthusiastically.

Lainie dished up the omelettes and pulled the biscuits out of the oven. I loved the aroma of baking bread and I was feeling hungry now too. We all sat down and began to eat with gusto as Lainie was a far better cook than I was. Jon and I hopped in the shower, foregoing the bath to save time, while Lainie and Richie cleaned up the kitchen. By mid-morning we were ready to head out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another couple of great chapters! Loved the ritual, the Great Rite, the closeness they have. Your dialog is great! They all seem so real in the situations they are in. Keeps me on the edge of my seating waiting for the next chapters!

Anonymous said...

Nice. Like seeing Richie and Elaine are getting along.