Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Sauna Part 73

Work had felt very tedious today and I was anxious to get home. Two meetings this morning and one long meeting this afternoon had taken their toll. My concentration often wandered during long, unproductive meetings and today was no exception. I found my thoughts drifting to this morning and the unfinished encounter in the bathroom.

Twice I’d been asked my thoughts during the administrative meeting this afternoon and both times I’d covered the fact that I wasn’t listening and tried harder to pay attention. But the sight of Jon behind me in the mirror and the lingering scent of him so near me flooded my senses and made my mind duller than usual for the drab fare of the meeting.

But I was almost home and I could feel myself coming alive with excitement at the prospect of seeing Jon. I turned up the stereo and stepped on the gas, feeling the moistness between my legs as I rounded the last leg of the trip.

Jon and Richie were both in the kitchen, attempting to have dinner waiting when I got home. Richie had felt bad about the way the visit had started out and he wanted to make it up to me and suggested that they make his special chicken dish. Richie was actually a rather accomplished chef, but he soon realized that Jon was worse than useless in the kitchen and assigned him to wash the dishes. Jon complained that he wanted to help make the food and Richie considered salad to be rather safe.

“No! No! You don’t cut the lettuce!” he yelled at Jon as he turned around to find him slicing the head of lettuce.

“Well, what am I supposed to do?” he said peevishly.

“Tear it. Here, like this” Richie showed him.

“But that’ll take forever. My way was faster” Jon argued.

“That’s not the point. It’s this or back to washing dishes” Richie warned him.

Jon went back to tearing the lettuce and Richie smiled to himself. Jesus, Jon really was a disaster in anything domestic, he thought to himself as he coated the chicken with flour and dipped it in the egg batter. Jon heard my car and immediately lost interest in his task as he raced the cats to the door. He opened the door as I approached and Zeke darted out, nearly toppling Jon over in his wake. I laughed and dropped my bag as I ran to collect the errant cat that was to be the bane of Jon’s existence.

“Shit! Damn cat!” Jon said, gritting his teeth.

I scooped Zeke up and he gave me sloppy kisses as I walked through the door to see my kitchen in shambles.

“We’re making you dinner” Jon said ebulliently.

“I see that” I said as I kissed him hello over Zeke’s head.

Richie, hands covered in egg batter and flour, turned and put out his arms and gave me a kiss on the cheek. He was grinning and it was rather apparent who was making dinner. I winked at him and he got my meaning.

“I felt ashamed about the trouble I caused yesterday and I wanted to make it up to you. I hope you like Chicken Scaloppini?” he said, raising his brows.

“Oh my Goddess! Can you make that? Can you teach me? I’ve tried over and over and I can’t get it right!” I exclaimed. It was one of my very favorite dishes.

“I’m making the salad” Jon piped in and I came over to inspect the progress and patted him on the back.

“So you are! It looks wonderful. Can I help? I see no one’s claimed clean-up yet” I said, noticing the pile of dishes in the sink as I started to run the water.

“Uh-uh, that’s Jon’s assignment too. You just pour yourself a glass of wine and get comfortable. We made the mess, we’ll clean it up” Richie insisted and Jon glowered at him, but he nodded to me.

I was not about to argue with being waited on and being fed, so I poured the three of us a glass of wine and went to change into more comfortable clothes. This was the treat of a lifetime and I was thrilled to have the two hottest men I knew in my kitchen cooking for me. In fact, I got out the digital camera and snuck back in and snapped a shot before they both turned and automatically flashed equally dazzling smiles.

“May I at least set the table?” I offered.

They relented at that and I went about setting the places as they continued. I noticed Richie nudge Jon and say something quietly, but I couldn’t quite hear the exchange. Jon disappeared out the back door and returned several minutes later with an armful of flowers from the garden and I found a vase for them.

“Okay, about fifteen minutes now. Is that salad ready yet?” Richie called to Jon.

“All done” he said, proudly placing it on the table.

“Okay. Start the dishes then” Richie instructed and I watched, rather bemused to see Jon following orders instead of giving them and Richie winked at me again.

True to his word, Richie was dishing up the chicken in about fifteen minutes and had found carrots in the frig which he braised with a brown sugar glaze. He pulled a casserole from the oven with roasted potatoes in olive oil and some light spices. I was amazed that Richie knew his way around a kitchen so well. I was even more surprised that he was able to create such a meal from my supply of relatively bland staples.

“Did you two go shopping?” I asked, curious.

“Nope, it was all right here. I got the idea while we were outside and I noticed the herb garden. There’s nothing better than fresh herbs to make me feel like cooking” he replied.

“I’ll admit, Richie has it all over me when it comes to cooking. He’s the one who really put this all together” Jon confessed as we sat down to eat.

“That’s okay, love. You have other talents I appreciate” I said looking at him meaningfully and he beamed.

Over dinner I was treated to the story of Zeke’s spontaneous attachment to Richie and Beowulf’s defection. Jon rolled up his sleeve to show me his battle scar from Floyd and I felt bad, but I couldn’t help but laugh to listen to Richie tell the story. Jon took it all good-naturedly now and summed it up thusly.

“Richie’s the fucking Pied Piper when it comes to animals. They adore him immediately. I have to work a bit harder, it seems” He said, glancing at Zeke, who was actually sitting at Richie’s feet.

After dinner, we took another bottle of wine and sat out on the patio where it was cooler. Jon pointed out Venus, the evening star, and I pointed out Orion’s Belt and Cassiopeia. They both recognized the Big Dipper. Between the good food, the wine and the easy camaraderie, I was starting to get sleepy and Jon caught me trying to stifle a yawn.

“Tired, babe?” he asked as he reached out and took my hand.

As much as I was enjoying the evening, I couldn’t deny it. And it was getting cool now in the evenings. And there was still a pile of dishes in the sink.

“I’m sorry to be such a party pooper, but I’m fading fast. Today was nothing but meetings and they wear me out just trying to pay attention” I admitted.

We gathered up the glasses and what was left of the wine and brought it inside. I made for the sink and started to clear the dishes, but Jon’s arms slipped about my waist and he pulled me away. I didn’t fight.

“Go to bed, baby. I’ll get this in the morning, I promise. Right now I want you to get in that bed” he ordered, nuzzling my neck.

“Go on, you two young ’uns, you need your sleep apparently. This old man’s gonna stay up for a bit and watch the tube, if that’s okay?” Richie chimed in and Jon nodded approvingly.

“Is there anything you need, Richie? Dinner was extraordinary, really. Thank you so much, that was one of my favorite dishes” I said sincerely.

“No, darlin’, I’m just fine. I’m gonna kill off this bottle and watch the tube in my room with my buddies” he said motioning towards Zeke and Beowulf who seemed to actually hover around him.

“And if you can keep the little buggers with you, I’ll owe ya one. I haven’t had my lady all to myself since we got here” Jon joked, steering me toward the bedroom.

“Jon, I forgot to ask. Did you talk to the lawyer about Richie? What’s the plan?” I asked, suddenly remembering.

“Yeah, it’s all worked out. The lawyer spoke to the D.A. and they’re reducing the charges and Richie has to appear Friday, plead guilty and pay a fine. But all in all, it’s a good deal” he explained.

“Oh, good, I’m so glad it got resolved. I saw it didn’t make the papers either, thankfully. That’s the last thing he needed right now” I said, yawning again.

“Here, babe, let me help you” Jon offered as I started to get undressed.

He pulled my shirt over my head and I stood there as he unbuttoned my jeans and slid them over my hips. I was suddenly so tired and I yawned again. Jon guided me to the bed and turned down the covers, easing me onto the sheets.

“I’m so sorry. It must be the wine” I said, stretching as he removed his own clothes and crawled in beside me.

“It’s okay, darlin’. I just wanna to hold you” he crooned, cradling my head on his chest as he ran his fingers through my hair.

I closed my eyes and snuggled against him, luxuriating in the warmth of his body and the gentle feel of his fingers combing my hair. I felt safe and secure in his arms, more so than I’d ever dreamed possible. I sensed the presence of another body on the bed and I felt soft footsteps behind us as Eddie flopped down behind Jon’s head. That was the last thing I remembered before I floated off to sleep.

No comments: